Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Maybe, but we can assume a lot of things. We don't see how the person was driving once out of camera view either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

`Nemesis posted:

Maybe, but we can assume a lot of things. We don't see how the person was driving once out of camera view either

But you know they just hit another vehicle and then made the choice to drive away from the scene despite the presence of a police car. That suggests an impaired or otherwise dangerous driver well beyond the average joe on the road. How is this so hard to understand??

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
That driver didn't just side-swipe the goon. He/she drove right into that car like it wasn't there. IANAC but that does seem to suggest impairment and I wouldn't want that person going any further.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Yeah, but then you have to do the paperwork and explain to your sergeant why you bothered pursuing. This guy's insured, it'll be fine.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It occurred to me just now that the officer on the scene might choose to use the radio to get someone else to intercept the suspect, in order to be able to stay on scene in case immediate first aid is needed by a victim. You might outrun a cop but you can't outrun a radio.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Bought my dad a street guardian SG966SC for his birthday. I had no idea how tiny this thing was, and now I want to replace my Mini 0803 with one.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SG9665SC?

Yeah, I'm super pleased with mine, too. Perfect form factor and very high quality video. Don't forget that you have to press the middle button twice to lock the current video. Once to turn on the screen, and again to actually lock the file. I love that they even threw in a little self-adhesive rubber dot that you can affix to the button, to make it easier to hit without looking.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Looks like the same chipset, form factor, and lens as the A118-C, for those of us not in upsidedownland. I have the same thing on my bus, and it's the best form factor.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The case is the same, but the chipset is newer, it uses a higher quality Sony Exmor sensor instead of an Aptina, and the lens is significantly better, it doesn't suffer from the focus issues the B40/A118 has when it gets hot.

I had an A118 before I got the SG, and there is a clear difference, especially in low light.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Huh, that's different than the website I got the specs from said. I dislike the inconsistency between Chinese manufacturers.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The StreetGuardian only has one source, and both the manufacturer and reseller are active users on the Dash Cam Talk forums :)

That's part of the reason why I bought one, despite the higher price. The whole thing seems a lot more trustworthy than the usual diverse collection of random people.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I can't find the SC version, only the GC, and google shows a few places where I could buy something that is allegedly it. Which should I buy?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

KozmoNaut posted:

I had an A118 before I got the SG, and there is a clear difference, especially in low light.

Does it use the same mount? I'm considering upgrading from my A118 but taking off mounts is awful, so it would be great if I could just use my old mount.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Anyone using the Blacksys CF100 and know how to turn off the impact sensor? Even on the very lowest sensitivity setting, during normal operation it saves at least 10 clips every drive.

Twice now i've tried to pull footage only to find it's been overwritten by "poo poo, you went over a slight bump, I must record this!!!" event recording and I have no video of the excellent twisty road I wanted to show my mother.

I'm in CA, land of potholes and poor quality blacktop and I drive a sports car so I think there's more jiggling during "normal operation" than a Korean dash cam manufacturer would have expected.

I don't want to replace it because it was a gift, I've only just installed it, and apart from the touchy impact sensor and need to use custom software to view and save videos, it's a neat little needs-suiting camera.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Kazy posted:

Does it use the same mount? I'm considering upgrading from my A118 but taking off mounts is awful, so it would be great if I could just use my old mount.

The case is 100% identical between the two, mounts and everything.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Kazy posted:

If you're willing to remove the mount you may want to check out the newer A119. From what I've seen it performs way better than the A118 and is about the same price.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Anyone using the Blacksys CF100 and know how to turn off the impact sensor? Even on the very lowest sensitivity setting, during normal operation it saves at least 10 clips every drive.

Twice now i've tried to pull footage only to find it's been overwritten by "poo poo, you went over a slight bump, I must record this!!!" event recording and I have no video of the excellent twisty road I wanted to show my mother.

I'm in CA, land of potholes and poor quality blacktop and I drive a sports car so I think there's more jiggling during "normal operation" than a Korean dash cam manufacturer would have expected.

I don't want to replace it because it was a gift, I've only just installed it, and apart from the touchy impact sensor and need to use custom software to view and save videos, it's a neat little needs-suiting camera.

Potholuma, lol

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

My Mini 0801 has finally kicked the bucket. Anyone bought a Rexing v1? Lot of positive reviews on Amazon but other review sites are mediocre.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Bovril Delight posted:

My Mini 0801 has finally kicked the bucket. Anyone bought a Rexing v1? Lot of positive reviews on Amazon but other review sites are mediocre.

I have a rexing.

With a 128 G. card I can usually tape about 3 day's worth of drives, assuming I remember to turn it off when I pull into my garage.

The picture quality is pretty good, but it seems that the audio sometimes cuts out.

As I purchased it due to getting hit in a parking lot, I also picked up a battery backup.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CHYKOD0/.

My commute is about an hour, and usually by the end of the commute the battery is full. I just wired it into a cigarette lighter I had in my glove compartment, and you can't see any of the wires.

If I leave my car all weekend without the camera running, the battery still has a charge.

Having it on at the parking lot at work actually helped my neighbor figure out who stole his ladder, so it's worked out pretty well so far.

Here's 2 videos I just pulled off.
This is from yesterday morning. This is about as bad a glare as you're going to get, and you can still see the other cars pretty well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KofjHKpr2Qc

This is from Sunday night. You can hear me get pissed off at a traffic light that was too short as a bonus.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNf7WyqQ7MM

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 28, 2016

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008

kastein posted:

I can't find the SC version, only the GC, and google shows a few places where I could buy something that is allegedly it. Which should I buy?

I think that was a typo; SG9665GC is the actual model. There's an older version which I have and a new v2 version which you can get on Amazon or eBay. The manufacturer also mentioned on DashcamTalk that a v3 version is coming out in a few months which sounds like it will cost slightly more but will include a CPL filter.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

DethMarine21 posted:

I think that was a typo; SG9665GC is the actual model. There's an older version which I have and a new v2 version which you can get on Amazon or eBay. The manufacturer also mentioned on DashcamTalk that a v3 version is coming out in a few months which sounds like it will cost slightly more but will include a CPL filter.

Wow, you guys weren't kidding about the price being higher, but given the fact that the cheap lovely ones always silently die on me at unpredictable times when the whole point is to reliably record all the time every time I think I'll spring for it next time I have some cash burning a hole in my pocket. Thanks, added to cart.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gkg24tzLV_I

:stare:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Well I hope that driver learned something about stopping distances in vehicles other than a sub-compact.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

TotalLossBrain posted:

Well I hope that driver learned something about stopping distances in vehicles other than a sub-compact.

"THOSE LORRY DRIVERS NEED TO BE GOING SLOWER, ONE OF THEM NEARLY RAN OVER ME"

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
He sure didn't learn it on the first bump so I'm not holding my breath. What a fukken dumbass...

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Why did he even brake check the truck in the first place? From what I saw, the truck moved over and made way and did nothing wrong.

EDIT - just saw the wobble at 30 seconds when the truck tried to merge back. Still, he pulled back and it was an honest mistake.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
this is..... sort of a dash cam? Crossposting from the miata thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOqDhRtqxOs

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

MattD1zzl3 posted:

You trying to get some mileage out of this video aren't you?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Huh that's pretty much exactly my car, red Honda Fit base model. It's a great little car but here in Dallas every pickup and SUV towers over me. I get nervous just passing bigger cars, I can't imagine trying to impose my will on a loving semi. Dumb bastard got what he deserved, and I hope he has to pay to repair the truck's front bumper :getin:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Takes No Damage posted:

Huh that's pretty much exactly my car, red Honda Fit base model. It's a great little car but here in Dallas every pickup and SUV towers over me. I get nervous just passing bigger cars, I can't imagine trying to impose my will on a loving semi. Dumb bastard got what he deserved, and I hope he has to pay to repair the truck's front bumper :getin:

The truck could've stopped quicker and backed off quicker, but why bother ?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Raluek posted:

Potholuma, lol

👀👀👀
race you to 4th and C, bro

AFewBricksShy posted:

As I purchased it due to getting hit in a parking lot, I also picked up a battery backup.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CHYKOD0/.

My commute is about an hour, and usually by the end of the commute the battery is full. I just wired it into a cigarette lighter I had in my glove compartment, and you can't see any of the wires.

If I leave my car all weekend without the camera running, the battery still has a charge.

Having it on at the parking lot at work actually helped my neighbor figure out who stole his ladder, so it's worked out pretty well so far.

Can you talk more about this? Does your cam have a "Parking" mode, and does the battery backup automatically switch your cam to parking mode when it kicks in?

This could be the parking mode power solution I'm looking for that doesn't involve having to hardwire anything.

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 30, 2016

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

MattD1zzl3 posted:

The gently caress is this stupid poo poo.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Been a while since I checked up on the thread, I was looking a while back for an HEVC (h.235) dashcam and I guess none existed some months ago.

Now I see there's the Mobius 2 but it has mixed reviews on Amazon. Are there any other non-poo poo dashcams that can do HEVC? Also, what is the top capacity dashcams are expected to take these days? The cam I have can't handle over 32gb, and I see Samsung has 256gb Micro SDs out at this point.

If you can tell between my looking for both HEVC and huge SD cards, I'm looking for the longest recording possible without overwriting, in any configuration.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Takes No Damage posted:

The first one, yeah. The second two as the honda pulled over were either pretty extreme negligence or even assault. So basically, everyone can get hosed in that video.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

nm posted:

The first one, yeah. The second two as the honda pulled over were either pretty extreme negligence or even assault. So basically, everyone can get hosed in that video.

Yeah. Trucker could've stopped quicker, buuuuut I'd have a really hard time trying not to crush the driver under my wheels and claiming it was an accident.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

nm posted:

jonathan posted:

Yeah. Trucker could've stopped quicker, buuuuut I'd have a really hard time trying not to crush the driver under my wheels and claiming it was an accident.

The driver of the Fit hit the brakes a bit hard when pulling over and stopping as well, to where you can see the truck dive as the driver has to slam on the brakes to avoid a worse collision...but then comes that "jump" from letting off the brakes and giving another love tap or two. Honda driver is an rear end in a top hat that doesn't respect braking distances for trucks, I'd almost give the truck driver a pass for having to deal with almost taking out the same driver twice; but yeah, I'm sure the courts won't be as kind.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
It's probably not unreasonable for the truck driver to argue they'd cooked their brakes at that point

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

👀👀👀
race you to 4th and C, bro

Can you talk more about this? Does your cam have a "Parking" mode, and does the battery backup automatically switch your cam to parking mode when it kicks in?

This could be the parking mode power solution I'm looking for that doesn't involve having to hardwire anything.

Sadly the camera doesn't have a parking mode. It just continually records, so if something were to happen to my car that didn't show up on the thumbnail, it would be possible that I would have to go through 8 hours of footage in 3 minute chunks to see what happened to my car.

There are cameras that turn on with movement, but the ones I've seen are way more expensive.

The way it works is:
Camera-----battery UPS-------Cigarette Lighter

The camera is always getting power from the UPS, the UPS charges when my car is turned on.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Alright, so I just got side-swiped last week when someone decided they wanted to share lanes. As I pulled over, the other car jammed and took off on me. In the heat of the moment, I didn't get their plate, so now I have to eat my insurance deductible. Every time I've talked to has told me to get a dash cam, so here I am researching them.

I've come to the Vantrue R2 and the reviews seem to be pretty good. Any thoughts on this one, or recommendations on something better? I'd like to keep it under $200.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Thinking of upgrading my dashcam from the A118C to either the A119 or the Street guardian SG5966GC. The only problem I have with my A118 is that it doesn't turn off properly when I unplug the charger, in that it power cycles itself 3-5 times before turning off and the car charging cable cigarette lighter end is half broken which I fixed temporarily with superglue. So thinking it could be time for an upgrade.

Anyone want to try and sway me to one side to help me pick one?

Chillyrabbit fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 5, 2016