Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Oh buddy you are at like 10%

I just spent the rest of the day so far reading and finishing it, and boy you are not kidding here. I think I need to spend the weekend curled up on my couch.

Definitely one of the best books I have ever read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Shibawanko posted:

Solaris by Lem is full of humanity and is just really really good.

I watched the Tarkovsky film just the other day, and thought it was incredible, so I guess I've got to read this. Don't generally see much Lem knocking about though

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The thing with Solaris is that old editions of it don't use a direct polish to english translation, they use a translation of the french translation. There was a new translation that came out a few years back but at the time it was only ebook form for copyright reasons, and I'm not sure if it's available as a physical book now or not.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

J_RBG posted:

I watched the Tarkovsky film just the other day, and thought it was incredible, so I guess I've got to read this. Don't generally see much Lem knocking about though

Lem is the only writer that I know of that bridges gap between sci-fi and Serious Literature. He has all the hallmarks of science fic, like aliens, spaceships, time travel, poo poo like that; you can put him in the same camp as Asimov and Clarke or whatever. But he also has the technique, good taste, and insight required to take his work 2 the next level, artistically. And I don't know any other sci fi writer that gets there. I think he should've gotten the Nobel, and his snubbing is up there with like at least the snubbing of a writer like Pessoa.

If u wanna read more Lem, read Memoirs Found in a Bathtub, His Master's Voice, and A Perfect Vacuum, to get urself started on the journey of 10,000 good pages read....

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

david crosby posted:

Lem is the only writer that I know of that bridges gap between sci-fi and Serious Literature.

There are probably lots of one off exceptions to this, I mean a writer who was mostly known for writing sci fi, please don't get up in my grill and tell me Jonathan Vann Wrote One Really Great Sci Fi Novel And It Is Everything.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

david crosby posted:

There are probably lots of one off exceptions to this, I mean a writer who was mostly known for writing sci fi, please don't get up in my grill and tell me Jonathan Vann Wrote One Really Great Sci Fi Novel And It Is Everything.

Whether there are or not, it always ends up being incredibly boring.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

thehoodie posted:

I just spent the rest of the day so far reading and finishing it, and boy you are not kidding here. I think I need to spend the weekend curled up on my couch.

Definitely one of the best books I have ever read.

Welcome to the Vann Clann brother

the_homemaster
Dec 7, 2015
Man Booker udate: All That Man Is is loving great.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
the hardcover of Aquarium is on amazon prime for $3 so i guess i'm going to read it

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

chernobyl kinsman posted:

the hardcover of Aquarium is on amazon prime for $3 so i guess i'm going to read it

welcome brother

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

david crosby posted:

Lem is the only writer that I know of that bridges gap between sci-fi and Serious Literature. He has all the hallmarks of science fic, like aliens, spaceships, time travel, poo poo like that; you can put him in the same camp as Asimov and Clarke or whatever. But he also has the technique, good taste, and insight required to take his work 2 the next level, artistically. And I don't know any other sci fi writer that gets there. I think he should've gotten the Nobel, and his snubbing is up there with like at least the snubbing of a writer like Pessoa.

If u wanna read more Lem, read Memoirs Found in a Bathtub, His Master's Voice, and A Perfect Vacuum, to get urself started on the journey of 10,000 good pages read....

I don't think you can say Pessoa was snubbed, considering he died at 47 with hardly anything published in book form. I'd be surprised if he was ever as much as nominated.

Talking about Nobel, apparently this year's announcement has been postponed to October 13, which might be a sign of them not having reached a decision yet. My guess is they can't decide between an older heavyweight author who's already won everything else, and a younger, more politically active writer. I just have this feeling that the new secretary sees the prize as something more than purely literary award - which in part it is.

Tbh, I was disappointed in the books I read from the last two winners, but it's still a good season to talk about deserving authors. Like Clarice Lispector, whom I'm reading now,and man, if she hadn't died relatively young, she would've been one of the best choices by far.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I want Gerald Murnane to get it because he's extremely good and it might make more people read him.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Pessoa should have won the Nobel prize immediately once the Alexander Search poems were published even though they're kind of bad

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Burning Rain posted:

I don't think you can say Pessoa was snubbed, considering he died at 47 with hardly anything published in book form. I'd be surprised if he was ever as much as nominated.

Yeah, he was basically unknown when he died. I just felt silly comparing Lem to Proust, another Nobel miss, although Pessoa was prolly equally gifted.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

A human heart posted:

I want Gerald Murnane to get it because he's extremely good and it might make more people read him.

I've only read The Plains and Inland but I agree

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Burning Rain posted:

Talking about Nobel, apparently this year's announcement has been postponed to October 13, which might be a sign of them not having reached a decision yet. My guess is they can't decide between an older heavyweight author who's already won everything else, and a younger, more politically active writer. I just have this feeling that the new secretary sees the prize as something more than purely literary award - which in part it is.

Tbh, I was disappointed in the books I read from the last two winners, but it's still a good season to talk about deserving authors. Like Clarice Lispector, whom I'm reading now,and man, if she hadn't died relatively young, she would've been one of the best choices by far.

What did you read by the two last winners? I can understand ppl being mystified by Modiano, he's a pretty slow burn & strange talent, but I was immediately blown away by Alexievich.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

At this point the list of people who haven't won the Nobel is probably more impressive than those who have.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Safety Biscuits posted:

At this point the list of people who haven't won the Nobel is probably more impressive than those who have.

Deep thoughts

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I finally finished Mason & Dixon

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Safety Biscuits posted:

nah actually the Nobel Prize owns super hard

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

david crosby posted:

What did you read by the two last winners? I can understand ppl being mystified by Modiano, he's a pretty slow burn & strange talent, but I was immediately blown away by Alexievich.

Missing Person from Modiano and Second-Hand Time from Alexievitch. I wrote about it on the Botm thread, but there were two main things: it really felt she'd fiddled with interviews to make them fit a preconceived narrative (there was a bit about that on New Republic recently: https://t.co/LzouSCw4sm) and a lot of the interviewees came from a very similar background, which also strengthened the feeling that the story was written before the interviews. Also, I come from a post-Soviet country and have read and heard way too many similar testimonies, so it felt like a rehash in some ways.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

im reading A strangeness in my mind, its pretty okay and i love how pamuk describes the city.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Burning Rain posted:

Missing Person from Modiano and Second-Hand Time from Alexievitch. I wrote about it on the Botm thread, but there were two main things: it really felt she'd fiddled with interviews to make them fit a preconceived narrative (there was a bit about that on New Republic recently: https://t.co/LzouSCw4sm) and a lot of the interviewees came from a very similar background, which also strengthened the feeling that the story was written before the interviews. Also, I come from a post-Soviet country and have read and heard way too many similar testimonies, so it felt like a rehash in some ways.

I thought her reworking interviews was the entire point of her writing. I read Chernobyl Diaries and was amazed that average Belorussians spoke like poets, and then I realized she was massaging the interviews. I think this style of journalism is totally legitimate, btw

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

david crosby posted:

This sounds like something Lem himself would say.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

david crosby posted:

Yeah because unlike with other sci fi writers, you don't get the sense that he loves space and technology. Most sci fi is optimistic about technology and it just reminds me too much of the Elon Musk loving techbro space cadet idiots who read it.

Schmischmenjamin
Dec 15, 2013

david crosby posted:

I thought her reworking interviews was the entire point of her writing. I read Chernobyl Diaries and was amazed that average Belorussians spoke like poets, and then I realized she was massaging the interviews. I think this style of journalism is totally legitimate, btw

have you read The Book of the Dead by Muriel Rukeyser? is it similar to the style of journalism you're talking about here?

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Schmischmenjamin posted:

have you read The Book of the Dead by Muriel Rukeyser? is it similar to the style of journalism you're talking about here?

I haven't read it, so idk.

I just finished Silence by Shusaku Endo, it was cool, basically what I took from it was that performative Catholicism is silly, which I already thought anyway, but it's cool to have a Japanese (!) Catholic think the same thing. Scorcese is making a movie about it, and one of the actors is the guy from Tetsuo the Iron Man, ftw.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

dk2m posted:

I'm pretty terrified to start Kant's Critique of Pure Reason because if Hume is easy to read in comparison, what the gently caress man.

Hume is Dr. loving Seuss compared to Kant. The Critique is everything it's cracked up to be, but unfortunately to have a thorough understanding of it you have to take years of your life and stand on lots of different shoulders to get there.

I gave it up many years ago, although lately I've read Susan Neiman's book on Kant, and it was fully as remarkable as the rest of her work.

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016
my radical adherence to stoicism demands I be a raging islamophobic asshole. perhaps ten more days on twitter will teach me the errors of my ways

mdemone posted:

Hume is Dr. loving Seuss compared to Kant.

you're comparing Hume to the most avuncular, sagely writer of all time in an attempt to disparage him :confused:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

hog fat posted:

you're comparing Hume to the most avuncular, sagely writer of all time in an attempt to disparage him :confused:

I wasn't disparaging anybody in that sentence. Just comparing the readability of Hume's prose to Kant's.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
kant would take a walk every day on the same route at the same time (precise enough to "set one's watch") and ate mostly flavorless proto-soylent mush and drank mostly weak tea so i am excited to bully that nerd, when we meet in hell.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Super psyched about this news:

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37543540

God of Small Things is a really good novel

hog fat
Aug 31, 2016
my radical adherence to stoicism demands I be a raging islamophobic asshole. perhaps ten more days on twitter will teach me the errors of my ways

Tree Goat posted:

kant would take a walk every day on the same route at the same time (precise enough to "set one's watch") and ate mostly flavorless proto-soylent mush and drank mostly weak tea so i am excited to bully that nerd, when we meet in hell.

so as not to excite baser impulses, no doubt. such virtuous prudence should be lauded, not condemned.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

So what are thoughts about the guy claiming to have unmasked Ferrante?

Frankly I think its vaguely misogynistic and pointless as an endeavor and an insult to literature as an art form

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Frankly I think its vaguely misogynistic and pointless as an endeavor and an insult to literature as an art form

yeah. there's absolutely no compelling argument that can be made for the unmasking of a private individual who's done nothing more incendiary than author novels

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

as I have been saying for some time, he's wrong - im elena ferrante

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Ya I was surprised the NYRB was so hard-up for headlines that they ran that.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I've happily avoided reading the article and i'd encourage anyone else to not give them page views--it is invasive to the real person and utterly inconsequential to the work itself.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Mover posted:

I've happily avoided reading the article and i'd encourage anyone else to not give them page views--it is invasive to the real person and utterly inconsequential to the work itself.

Yeah I haven't read the article itself but have read countless takedowns of it

Mr. Squishy posted:

Ya I was surprised the NYRB was so hard-up for headlines that they ran that.

I have to imagine this is going to backfire on them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I have to imagine this is going to backfire on them

most other publications and twitter are going hog wild