Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

The bandit who went crazy with the milk was combining his programming (turning on his partner) with the memory of his partner killing Abernathy and pouring milk contemptuously on the body from the night before. The reverie update let the bandit access the so-called subconscious memory.

The milk was just milk. :shrug:

Hosts can shoot at guests but they cannot injure them (Teddy's gun did nothing to the gunslinger).

I loved this show - husband thought it was too slow but I'm sure it's going to keep ramping up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Waaahmbulance Chaser posted:

On the news I just saw a pizza making robot (makes the dough, sauces it, waits for human to top it, puts it in and out of oven into box), and the company said by next year a robot will also completely replace the people needed that put the toppings on.

We thought it was just random assortments of pepperoni. Little did we know it was...

THE MESSAGE
Summer 2019

override367
Apr 29, 2013

Megazver posted:

This is already happening. They're now testing the burger-flipping robot which replaces three cooks.

The current CEO of Mcdonalds suggests that when they automate restaurants, that they will have higher paid staff and focus much more on service for customers who eat there

The argument that a higher minimum wage would lead to automation is laughable, when the robot has its bugs worked out is reliable i would replace a worker making $3 an hour, if it's not reliable and doesn't have bugs worked out it wouldn't replace a $20/hour employee

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's actually an article with some producer quotes that actually answer a few smaller questions people have had.

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/11-rules-of-westworld-hbos-killer-robot-theme-park-series/

Real guns, special bullets.

Guests have to sign an extensive liability waiver.

They envision Westworld to have been around so long it's basically Disney.

override367
Apr 29, 2013
I would imagine any guest physically assaulting another guest would carry the exact same penalties as doing it on the street

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Gamesguy posted:

Oh wow I'm slow. I just realized the fly swat meant Delores was lying when she told those technicians that she would never hurt another living thing.

That could absolutely be the case.

edit: misread your post, don't mind me.

El Jeffe fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 3, 2016

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Its D-O-L-O-R-E-S dammit!

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
I think it was sort of intentionally ambiguous about whether Dolores was lying or "awakening".

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the great deceiver posted:

I think it was sort of intentionally ambiguous about whether Dolores was lying or "awakening".

I dont think so. All the other robots failed when the fly touched them after the os upgrade.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

They specifically said that the robots wouldn't hurt a fly.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

DoctorGonzo posted:

I dont think so. All the other robots failed when the fly touched them after the os upgrade.

Yeah that's why the sheriff guy broke. He noticed the fly due to "waking up" and wanted to smack it but he couldn't due to his programming. ERROR ERROR

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dolores being the oldest opens up interesting scenarios. What other characters has she played on Westworld?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
The fly thing at the end made me think Delores was lying about the picture: she just kept saying "I don't see anything" because she knows that's the ~safe~ response. It also made me think that the sheriff went into seizure-mode because he wanted to swat the fly on his face, but couldn't because of his programming.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I like the idea that Dolores is also breaking down but in subtler ways. She's not intentionally lying, but her failsafes are being eroded without tripping any alarms.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

The fly thing at the end made me think Delores was lying about the picture: she just kept saying "I don't see anything" because she knows that's the ~safe~ response. It also made me think that the sheriff went into seizure-mode because he wanted to swat the fly on his face, but couldn't because of his programming.

He broke down because he realized his part as an NPC in Westworld and his desire to protect Dolorores plus de OS upgrade hosed up his systems.

Sorry, you said the sheriff not dadbot. I think you are correct.

DoctorGonzo fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 3, 2016

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Is Dolores the oldest host or just the oldest one currently in service? Old Bill seems considerably older with his jerky movements and whirring servos, but then the Hemsworth character had that line about Dolores being repaired so many times she's practically new (which raises the Ship of Theseus/Locke's Socks paradox).

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

DoctorGonzo posted:

Teddy didn't though, when he was hanging out at the cabin with those 3 or 4 guys. It just kind of wandered on his face for a bit.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Dazerbeams posted:

I like the idea that Dolores is also breaking down but in subtler ways. She's not intentionally lying, but her failsafes are being eroded without tripping any alarms.

She probably was around for ~the accident~ which I would like to call now as Hopkins giving the robots too much free will but was reined in by the corporation or the government or w/e after some guests died and those affected robots going into storage but he arranged for Dolores (based on his daughter or having his daughter's soul or smth) to be spared.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

seaborgium posted:

Teddy didn't though, when he was hanging out at the cabin with those 3 or 4 guys. It just kind of wandered on his face for a bit.

Whas he upgraded? I think the things that trigger the reaction is the OS upgrade.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

DoctorGonzo posted:

Dolores being the oldest opens up interesting scenarios. What other characters has she played on Westworld?

I think another interesting question is what kind of relationship she had with the Ed Harris character in the past. I mean the first thing he did when he came back to Westworld (like he said himself) was to "visit" Dolores and the first thing he does the next day is again to see her.
We know that Ed Harris character has been around Westworld for 30 years and Dolores is the oldest Host so it's natural to assume they interacted many, many times (also obvious in the actions of Ed Harris character). I wouldn't be surpised if we get flashbacks to a younger version of his character when he first met Dolores (maybe even fell in love with her?) or at least get to know about such a (or a similar) relationship.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one

hollylolly posted:

The bandit who went crazy with the milk was combining his programming (turning on his partner) with the memory of his partner killing Abernathy and pouring milk contemptuously on the body from the night before. The reverie update let the bandit access the so-called subconscious memory.

The milk was just milk. :shrug:

Yes, the milk was just milk, but it's no coincidence that we are repeatedly shown scenes of deactivated robots lying in pools of milky-white liquid in different contexts. It's a motif.

Maybe they didn't meant to specifically suggest that the bandit had a memory of being in the repair bath but they certainly wanted us to see a parallel or continuity between the death and rebirth of these robots. I'm guessing that's going to be a greater theme as the show progresses- death and rebirth.

I mean, it's possible that it's just a coincidence, but what we've seen so far shows that they're sweating the details on this show so I have to assume it was a choice.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Gamesguy posted:

Oh wow I'm slow.
Well, yeah, you were the biggest, most vocal apologist for the shitshow that was the Simcity reboot.

quote:

I just realized the fly swat meant Delores was lying when she told those technicians that she would never hurt another living thing.
As others have mentioned, it might not have been a conscious lie. By the end of the episode, things have just aligned themselves sufficiently in her programming to subvert what the developers intended.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

LinkesAuge posted:

I think another interesting question is what kind of relationship she had with the Ed Harris character in the past. I mean the first thing he did when he came back to Westworld (like he said himself) was to "visit" Dolores and the first thing he does the next day is again to see her.
We know that Ed Harris character has been around Westworld for 30 years and Dolores is the oldest Host so it's natural to assume they interacted many, many times (also obvious in the actions of Ed Harris character). I wouldn't be surpised if we get flashbacks to a younger version of his character when he first met Dolores (maybe even fell in love with her?) or at least get to know about such a (or a similar) relationship.

Hopkins' son in law, tormented by grief because one of them let her die but robo-daughter doesn't recognize him is my guess. Thirty years ago was the accident, so maybe he was against the concept of Westworld as a whole, too, before she died.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

404notfound posted:

Is Dolores the oldest host or just the oldest one currently in service? Old Bill seems considerably older with his jerky movements and whirring servos, but then the Hemsworth character had that line about Dolores being repaired so many times she's practically new (which raises the Ship of Theseus/Locke's Socks paradox).

They said she has been rebuilt / upgraded a bunch of times, which is probably why she doesn't have the jerky movement like Old Bill.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
I just watched the premiere and loved it.

It amuses me greatly that Ed Harris's character is called "Black Hat". Not only is he an evil guy in a western, he's also a malicious hacker!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
BTW, this is the Ed Harris I wanted in "Enemy at the gates".

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Uhhh if Hopkins did design a robot to look and act like a loved one, that would be supremely hosed up considering what goes on in the park.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pharmaskittle posted:

Uhhh if Hopkins did design a robot to look and act like a loved one, that would be supremely hosed up considering what goes on in the park.

He is not well on the head. Talking to old robots, his disdain for humanity as a concept, etc.

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

I'm curious to see how Hector Escaton plugs into the larger events, given that eschaton means, in religious terms, the end of the world. And here's the meta-level issue: is that choice of name merely authorial intent within the context of Westworld the park being a fully designed piece of entertainment, or the showrunners pointing towards something bigger?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Innocuous posted:

I'm curious to see how Hector Escaton plugs into the larger events, given that eschaton means, in religious terms, the end of the world. And here's the meta-level issue: is that choice of name merely authorial intent within the context of Westworld the park being a fully designed piece of entertainment, or the showrunners pointing towards something bigger?

Probably both, but for now we have already had it established that Anthony Hopkins likes to include little tidbits of anachronism.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Innocuous posted:

I feel like his name fits in pretty well with a character leading a large group of bandits that ride into town and shoot lots of people and generally create a whole lot of chaos. The programmers mentioned that they just had to move his bank heist up sooner to accommodate all the hosts they pulled.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Pharmaskittle posted:

His daughter was a true believer and either asked for or implied that she wanted that fate. Black Hat is probably trying to rescue her against those wishes.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The other thing about the milk just being milk (in the show reality) is that I'm going to assume all the food and drink in Westworld is real even if it is meant only for scenario-based things like "the bad guys drink the milk" because there is always a chance that the guests will go ahead and consume some of it.

override367
Apr 29, 2013

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The other thing about the milk just being milk (in the show reality) is that I'm going to assume all the food and drink in Westworld is real even if it is meant only for scenario-based things like "the bad guys drink the milk" because there is always a chance that the guests will go ahead and consume some of it.

I mean in a world where creepier disney world can afford to 3d print people to be fuckmurdertoys, they can probably spring for a bit of spilled milk

hell for all we know the fake cows actually make the milk, we don't know how advanced their technology is

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
What I found interesting was the actual picture and what did that imply does anyone have a screenshot? Also, I like that they just casually mention all the different storylines that were like "cannibals, murder mysteries " etc..

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Pretty sure Dolores straight up lies at the end there. The fly swat is definitely the 100% indicator that she's different, since it was said many times that the hosts can't even hurt a fly. This is how I recall the scene going (I sometimes gently caress this poo poo up though so feel free to correct me)

Security: What did your father say to you?
Dolores' father whispering to her
Dolores: He said some obscure quote I dunno, dad be weird.

Security: Did he say anything else?
Father continues to whisper in her ear
Dolores: No.

Security: Would you ever lie?
Dolores' face
Dolores: No.

They intentionally cut to the father whispering after being asked if he kept talking, that is either terrible editing at odds with most the show really, or she lied, and then she lied when asked about lying. It's subtler, and then she goes on to murder an innocent bystander fly to drive the point home that she's breaking out of character, but the more important part is she knows to hide it. That may have to do with the second part of what her father said. He broke just hard enough to pass something off to her that gave her a chance to not be detected.

I really hope crazed broken robodad comes back to protect his daughter :3:

Edit: Just occurred to me that Programmer man who said he had no kids, but then later holds a photo of a child, probably means his child had died, and he will maybe try and "bring him back" in a host. Which makes the thing Hopkins tell him about bringing people back pretty hosed up. Who would say that to a father of a deceased child in the same conversation as "boy people sure suck."

VVV
Don't crush my dreams, in robo future anything is possible!

JossiRossi fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 3, 2016

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

JossiRossi posted:

I really hope crazed broken robodad comes back to protect his daughter :3:

He lobotomized.

Robotomized?

Either way, he done. He done.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JossiRossi posted:

Security: Did he say anything else?
Father continues to whisper in her ear
Dolores: Dont tell anyone

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

VendaGoat posted:

He lobotomized.

Robotomized?

Either way, he done. He done.

He could be Robo-Chekhov's Gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Oh poo poo, I know why that threw me, I read "Don't tell anyone" as Dolores to the security guy, not what her father said. I'm an idiot. Least I knew it wasn't a VR simulation...

• Locked thread