Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrabble Tournament
May 17, 2006
MY OLD-ASS AVATAR URL BROKE THE ADMIN PANEL, THANKS RADIUM
1. 花椒 Sichuan pepper
2. 青花椒 green Sichuan pepper
3. 茴香 fennel
4. 虫草花 Cordyceps militaris. I've never heard of this before, but it looks like it's usually used in soups and stews.
5. 孜然粉 powdered cumin
6. 麻辣火锅底料 mala hot pot base
7. 香叶 bay leaves
8. 辣椒粉 powdered chili. Doesn't mention any other spices.
9. 桂皮 cassia bark
10. 郫县豆瓣 Pixian doubanjiang
11. 八角 star anise
12. 麻辣酱 mala sauce
13. probably 朝天椒 facing heaven peppers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Thank you, much appreciated. Now that I know what I have, I will see what I can cook with it. I already looked up Mapo Tofu and that seems doable, since I already have the rarest ingredient it seems!

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Watch out for 4. It's actually super duper expensive and a lot of times people use other substitutes. Hence the word "花" or flower gets thrown around.

Flavor wise it's kind of like a vegetable stock to bring out a fuller taste and body to your food.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

caberham posted:

Watch out for 4. It's actually super duper expensive and a lot of times people use other substitutes. Hence the word "花" or flower gets thrown around.

Flavor wise it's kind of like a vegetable stock to bring out a fuller taste and body to your food.

This one: Cordyceps flower?

Ebbinate
Oct 26, 2002
Slide Ruler

brnai posted:

12. 麻辣酱 mala sauce
As in sichuan pepper (numbing pepper) sauce.

The Cordyceps I've only used in Chinese soups before. A small handful will change the colour of soup stock a lot, similar to how saffron colours stocks.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Has anyone else ever seen their Sichuan peppercorns come with cooking instructions?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

No. What do you need to know? In Sichuan they're normally just thrown into the food whole, nothing fancy. You can toast/grind them like other spices if you want.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
I like to toast them first whole, then grind them as Grand Fromage explained. However, I often pick out the hard, shiny seeds and big stems (heh :420: skills!) to the best of my ability - they just turn into flavorless grit.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

No. What do you need to know? In Sichuan they're normally just thrown into the food whole, nothing fancy. You can toast/grind them like other spices if you want.

oh, ive used them before and all the time. i just re-supplied from amazon and this bag has instructions to cook them before use. very odd.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

That sounds like a fine way to remove any and all flavour from your peppercorns. That's what you get when you let some loving Cantonese touch your Sichuan peppercorns.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

That labelling seems more than a bit odd - it says there are 4 servings in that whole bag.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What is hazarous about those that mean they have to be cooked? i know a lot of nuts have weird chemicals in their shells. Some with peppercorns?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I have literally never heard of anyone boiling their peppercorns. Even in China (where boiling your food to mushy tastelessness is a national pastime) I've never seen it.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Maybe it's an incorrect label?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Some types have extreme pungency. Maybe to use it in hotpots? Sounds very strange nonetheless.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Looks like a generic cover-our-rear end food safety label applied to a comically inappropriate product.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
eggplant and black vinegar is an excellent combination

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
This dumpling joint near work does braised eggplant that is then deep-fried and it's the ducks nuts

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

There's a place near mine that stuffs eggplant with meat then deep fries that and has an awesome garlic sauce that goes with it.

Eggplant is p good.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
i just bought a wok and a buttload of different sauces, what would this thread recommend for a really good and authentic stirfry and sauce?

copen
Feb 2, 2003
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3401971#post390019343

This one is my favorite, the beef and broccoli linked in the OP is also good but maybe not as authentic. It is simpler to make though

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

copen posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3401971#post390019343

This one is my favorite, the beef and broccoli linked in the OP is also good but maybe not as authentic. It is simpler to make though

this was a good call, grilfriend and I both loved it. Switched out the mushrooms for sugarsnap peas since gf hates mushrooms, and added some carrot but yeah was really good

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
e;fb

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 23, 2016

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Thoht posted:

Looks like a generic cover-our-rear end food safety label applied to a comically inappropriate product.

Bingo, I've seen the exact same label on a bunch of different things at the Chinese grocery stores I go to.

Darryl Lict
Mar 17, 2009
By the way, Cordyceps is that strange fungus that uses arthropods as a host. The fruit bodies explode out of the insect and that's what the package has. The fungus takes over the insects mind and forces it to climb high which allows it to infect other animals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuKjBIBBAL8

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Darryl Lict posted:

By the way, Cordyceps is that strange fungus that uses arthropods as a host. The fruit bodies explode out of the insect and that's what the package has. The fungus takes over the insects mind and forces it to climb high which allows it to infect other animals.

In the wild Cordyceps Militaris uses caterpillars as a host, not mature insects. But these days a lot of commercially prepared cordyceps are cultured on growth media, not living hosts.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

SubG posted:

In the wild Cordyceps Militaris uses caterpillars as a host, not mature insects. But these days a lot of commercially prepared cordyceps are cultured on growth media, not living hosts.

Where can I find real Cordyceps grown on organic, not-fed-antibiotics insects? I usually only eat Step 5 beef and chicken (they're gassed to death for minimum suffering) from Whole Foods.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Darryl Lict posted:

Yeah this is the Chinese food thread all right.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Anyone have a particularly amazing recipe for dan dan noodles?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

interrodactyl posted:

Serious Eats never disappointed me: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/04/dan-dan-noodles-recipe.html

Their vegan version is also quite good: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/02/vegan-dan-dan-noodles-recipe.html

greats
Sep 29, 2016

interrodactyl posted:

my recommendation: http://www.chinasichuanfood.com/dan-dan-noodles/

they always come out great when I used this method, though after doing it myself once, I chose to adapt the street food style of cooking for the kitchen a bit

this site is pretty good in general for sichuan cuisine, but the cooking directions can be erroneous at times..

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That's a solid site but I find her recipes are often a little blander than the food here in Sichuan. I always put in more spices.

greats
Sep 29, 2016

Grand Fromage posted:

That's a solid site but I find her recipes are often a little blander than the food here in Sichuan. I always put in more spices.

agreed on this point, I always adjust to taste

I know when I made her kung pao chicken she said something like 8-20 dried chillies, for me, it's more like 20-30

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

greats posted:

agreed on this point, I always adjust to taste

I know when I made her kung pao chicken she said something like 8-20 dried chillies, for me, it's more like 20-30

Make stuff how you want obviously (I also multiply the number of chilies in everything usually), but in this particular case it sounds like her recipe is closer to how it's made in Sichuan. That dish is generally heavier on the hua jiao than the dried chillies, and even then not that much. Most of the flavor normally comes from the sauce and it's not a particularly spicy or ma dish here in Sichuan and is considered suanla or even sweet by some people.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 25, 2016

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Magna Kaser posted:

heavier on the hua jiao

I see no problem here. :getin:

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

There's actually an interesting debate in Sichuan cooking now about the whole spiciness issue. Historically Sichuanese food used much more hua jiao (sichuan peppercorns) than la jiao (dried chilies), but even those were only used in 50%-30% of the dishes you'd eat at a meal.

Sichuan food has really taken off in popularity since the 00s in China and the rest of the world, and the reputation it has for being spicy has gone with it. More modern Sichuan chefs pump everything full of hua jiao and la jiao to play off those expectations while more "traditional" chefs (from the 90s...) are worried about Sichuan food becoming watered down in a way because when everything is spicy and ma la then it stands out less.

There's a movement now that's gaining ground in Sichuan itself to use less peppers/hua jiao in an attempt to go back to Sichuanese flavors of like 20 years ago.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tangentially related I was shocked in Thailand that the food wasn't as spicy as what I got in American Thai restaurants that advertise "thai spicy." So whenever I'm asked how spicy I want it I say "however you enjoy it."

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The "giant piles of chili peppers" style is more Hunan or Guizhou. The food in Sichuan really isn't all that spicy most of the time. But there's also variation within, I've been told Chongqing food is spicier than Chengdu but I haven't been there yet.

The Thai thing is possibly because Thailand has the "foreigners can't eat spicy" poo poo and unless you speak Thai well enough to argue with them they absolutely will flat out not make the food the same way Thai people eat it. In the US you don't have that issue.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
We went shopping on a market for locals on Samui and I simply looked at a range of 12 bubbling woks, pointed out 5 curries and bought them. None of that was too spicy. Apparently it varies by region, out of all the unknown things we bought at markets only one was extremely spicy.
And talking out of my rear end, is it possible climate and other stuff also is a factor? One might not notice the spicyness so much when outside factors are different? No idea whether that is true but could be a small thing as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Nah. There are regions though. Isaan food in the northeast is the spiciest in Thailand.