Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The man's half abalone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Luke Cage just has unbreakable skin. That's it. It cannot be broken. It's the most basic, most iconic power he has.

Luke Cage is super strong. He's also probably immortal. He's got a lot more than just unbreakable skin.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Aphrodite posted:

TV Luke Cage is clearly more indestructible than comic Luke Cage. His soft tissue is included too.

Eh, comic Luke Cage could almost certainly shrug off a shotgun blast to the face. I mean, yeah, in some ways he's clearly tougher than in the comic, but I'd still argue that JJ established Luke as a character with realistic limits.

AndyElusive posted:

Luke Cage is super strong. He's also probably immortal. He's got a lot more than just unbreakable skin.

Yeah, I know, I'm saying it's his most basic and iconic power, like the power most obviously associated with his character, not his only one.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Yeah, I know, I'm saying it's his most basic and iconic power, like the power most obviously associated with his character, not his only one.

Be sure not to conflate the two versions of these characters. TV is different than comic media. In the TV version he somehow shields a lady from the blast of an rpg. And maybe when Reva shot him in the neck, his powers hadn't fully matured. Who knows. Right now, The Dude was invincible to modern street weaponry and the writers felt a need to tie his vulnerability into what's been a huge topic in the real world - the police shootings of potentially harmless/unarmed (black) people.

I think the Magic Bullets are a necessary part of the story, given how they wanted to tie it into the relevant discussion. It's a different device than Superman's kryptonite even though it creates the same ultimate personal consequence.

Luke's iconic "power" is that he doesn't have to live in fear of authoritative racism, or be pushed around by the System if he doesn't want to. In the TV universe, at least. That, and you know the dude pulls mad tail.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 6, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

What? It definitely did, he has a bullet hole and is bleeding

Anyway since it's become such a point of discussion I went and checked episode 9 - there's no sign of an exit wound so my theory of a clean through shot is right out. I guess the shrapnel is just embedded in muscle rather than near vital organs so they didn't feel like bothering to take it out. :shrug:

Well like people said, they pulled shrapnel out of the one by his stomach and that was it so I just thought the other one didn't pierce him at all.

ImpAtom posted:

My issue with Cage isn't that he isn't a martial artist but that Coulter honestly just looks like he's flailing. It actually kinda-works when he's Luke Cage because you can go "well, untrained dude with super strength" but in the flashbacks it is just awful especially when he's supposed to be uncommonly good at brawling.

I don't think he's miscast because he's great at everything else but they desperately need to get him a fight trainer and also a better choreographer.

I'm not looking for DareDevil or AOS but I did think the combat was pretty weak most of the time. Could've used more Three Stooges slapstick maybe.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Martial arts stuff also would've been out of place for this show, too. Luke Cage isn't a fighter, he's a near-unstoppable walking tank who can kill someone with a slight shove if he wanted to. Having him be even an amateur boxer is enough. He doesn't need to be a black belt, too. That's kinda Iron Fist's and Daredevil's thing, whereas JJ and Cage can just charge at dudes and overpower them.

Some of the main themes of this show, besides Harlem and black history, are guns, gangs with guns, and guns not being useful on Luke. I'm sure that in the Defenders, we'll have plenty of ninjas kicking and chopping at Cage.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ApeHawk posted:

Martial arts stuff also would've been out of place for this show, too. Luke Cage isn't a fighter, he's a near-unstoppable walking tank who can kill someone with a slight shove if he wanted to. Having him be even an amateur boxer is enough. He doesn't need to be a black belt, too. That's kinda Iron Fist's and Daredevil's thing, whereas JJ and Cage can just charge at dudes and overpower them.

I would agree with that, if they hadn't spent an episode on how he was the best fighter in prison fight club

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016
This Method Man poo poo is by far, no hyperbole, the most cringeworthy thing I've ever seen in a show.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Love Crime posted:

This Method Man poo poo is by far, no hyperbole, the most cringeworthy thing I've ever seen in a show.

Then you must've not seen the last episode of Daredevil Season 2 at the very end when they read aloud Karen's "article" for the newspaper.

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016

Drifter posted:

Then you must've not seen the last episode of Daredevil Season 2 at the very end when they read aloud Karen's "article" for the newspaper.

Watched it and don't even remember it, but I'll always remember the subtlety and delicacy of Method Man connecting Trayvon Martin to Luke Cage.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

My issue with Cage isn't that he isn't a martial artist but that Coulter honestly just looks like he's flailing. It actually kinda-works when he's Luke Cage because you can go "well, untrained dude with super strength" but in the flashbacks it is just awful especially when he's supposed to be uncommonly good at brawling.

I don't think he's miscast because he's great at everything else but they desperately need to get him a fight trainer and also a better choreographer.

Actually I think it would have been better fight-wise if we didn't have a quick cut every punch. Hard for me to tell how good he is, with that kind of shooting.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Love Crime posted:

Watched it and don't even remember it, but I'll always remember the subtlety and delicacy of Method Man connecting Trayvon Martin to Luke Cage.

I don't know. I thought that rap within the context of the show was okay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj45EHnrQU4
:eyepop:

I mean, Trayvon was one of the larger media spotlights of this type of inequality and racial injustice. Zimmerman wasn't a cop, but that whole hoodie thing was a theme throughout the show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p0BhaTSxSg

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

After Daredevil ran out of steam toward the end, I was glad that Luke Cage delivered the goods right until the end. I also appreciated that it went full comic book crazy with Diamondback. What the hell is this Jean Paul Gaultier poo poo!?!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Tokelau All Star posted:

After Daredevil ran out of steam toward the end, I was glad that Luke Cage delivered the goods right until the end. I also appreciated that it went full comic book crazy with Diamondback. What the hell is this Jean Paul Gaultier poo poo!?!

Pimp stormtrooper, that's what :v:

Series was good and ended on a really unexpected note, which was neat---especially since I really really really want someone to kick the crap out of Black Mariah now. Maybe once Iron Fist is established Danny and Luke can take turns giving Shades swirlies until she sobs for them to stop, idk

Also not happy about Claire/Luke because Jessica/Luke is how it's supposed to happen and everyone knows this. :mad: On the other hand, once Claire learns martial arts, can we put her in the Defenders, too? :q:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Drifter posted:

specifically for Luke Cage, who's AT BEST a one-time trained amateur boxer but mostly brawler

Didn't the flashback imply he'd been trained by the Marines and that that was why he was so good at brawling in the underground ring?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Love Crime posted:

Subtlety is overrated.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh, one more question I forgot to ask.

Was there something I was supposed to get out of Diamonback showing off his Bible? I mean, I thought the guy was crazy the second he showed up but apparently everything has a subtlety to it beyond what's happening on screen that I never notice.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Oh, one more question I forgot to ask.

Was there something I was supposed to get out of Diamonback showing off his Bible? I mean, I thought the guy was crazy the second he showed up but apparently everything has a subtlety to it beyond what's happening on screen that I never notice.

I think it was more that since he was the bastard of a respected preacher, he felt that he had a deeper understanding of the Bible. Maybe even so far as to feel he was a touched by Providence and had a destiny that had been laid out in Genesis.

What little we see of his annotated Bible bore resemblance to a schizophrenic's "there's a pattern no one but me sees!" I think it was more to underscore his obsession with being a better preacher's son than the legitimate one.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Oct 6, 2016

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

I'm not looking for DareDevil or AOS but I did think the combat was pretty weak most of the time. Could've used more Three Stooges slapstick maybe.

ApeHawk posted:

Guy Goodbody posted:

I would agree with that, if they hadn't spent an episode on how he was the best fighter in prison fight club

tsob posted:

Didn't the flashback imply he'd been trained by the Marines and that that was why he was so good at brawling in the underground ring?

One thing to remember: As you saw, sevreal times, Luke was able to KO someone with just a smack to the head. With his powers, he now has to be very careful when hitting people. He's had no training on how to fight effectivly with super strength, so he just awkwardly makes it up as he goes along.

Chokes McGee posted:

Also not happy about Claire/Luke because Jessica/Luke is how it's supposed to happen and everyone knows this. :mad:

Luke & Claire dating is actually canon. He wasn't a marine, or a cop (except in the alternate world of Earth X), Stryker was his best friend but not his half-brother, and Reva wasn't a shrink at Seagate, but just Stryker's girlfriend. Luke went straight, Stryker rose through the ranks of crime, but they stayed friends. Srtyker pissed off the Maggia, so they beat the hell out of him, though Luke saves him. Reva leaves him because of the voilence of his work, and hooks up with Luke, so Stryker frames Luke by planting heroin in his apartment.

Chokes McGee posted:

On the other hand, once Claire learns martial arts, can we put her in the Defenders, too? :q:

I'm down with that. As I said, she's the best character in the entire Netflix Marvel stuff.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

tsob posted:

:sigh: yeah, I was exaggerating to make my point. That's on me.

But wither way, if you're super strong and trying to keep your kill count low, you're probably going to be a little hesitant when it comes to the types of judo chops and jabs that the military teaches. I'm not excusing the weak action scenes, though, just trying to see where they were coming from.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

One thing to remember: As you saw, sevreal times, Luke was able to KO someone with just a smack to the head. With his powers, he now has to be very careful when hitting people. He's had no training on how to fight effectivly with super strength, so he just awkwardly makes it up as he goes along.

I know that but it still wasn't exactly gripping to watch. You've got a show all about someone's super strength but I still feel like AOS' first season had more interesting [TO WATCH] super strength fights.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I know that but it still wasn't exactly gripping to watch. You've got a show all about someone's super strength but I still feel like AOS' first season had more interesting [TO WATCH] super strength fights.

Well that's not really a fair comparison, the first season of AoS was pretty much perfect tv.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I just realized that no one ever once thought to shoot Luke in the head. Which is too bad because it would be entertaining to see his reaction to taking a stray bullet to the eye.

See also: His wang

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Marvel released some details about casting for Punisher. They also said it's coming out next year.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

readingatwork posted:

I just realized that no one ever once thought to shoot Luke in the head. Which is too bad because it would be entertaining to see his reaction to taking a stray bullet to the eye.

See also: His wang
His soft tissue were susceptible to penetration :heysexy: as shown by CLaire going through his eyes with the needle in JJ, and the doctor going through the back of his throat to get a blood sample.
They didn't shoot his dick because as much as they were trying to kill the man, they knew...they didn't want to wake the beast.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

For those who don't want to click the link:

quote:

Ben Barnes (“The Chronicles of Narnia“) joins the cast as Billy Russo, Frank’s Castle’s best friend from his days in the Special Forces. He runs a successful private military corporation called “Anvil.”’

Ebon Moss-Bachrach (“Girls”) will play Micro, a former NSA analyst whose secrets may be of great value to Frank Castle and everyone around them.

And Amber Rose Revah (“Indian Summers,” “Son of God”) joins as Dinah Madani, a highly-trained sophisticated Homeland Security agent who is vexed by the Punisher.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

tsob posted:

He says to Claire at one point that he was Force Recon, so MCU Luke was a U.S. Marine.

I don't think people give the choreography enough credit in "Luke Cage." Every fight Luke's in against a baseline human is about Luke exerting the precise amount of force needed to get that human out of his way. Luke is actually exhibiting an amazing amount of control by not leaving Harlem ankle-deep in severed heads.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Finally finished Luke Cage. (spoilers all)

It's painfully obvious that the showrunners were more interested in making a crime procedural with Luke Cage sewn into it than a Luke Cage series. Every time the series focused solely on Luke's poo poo it was trite, cliche, predictable, and far too enamored with the idea of making Luke an impossibly goody-goody. Mike Colter salvages most of it by being a scary perfect fit for the role, but by the end he's more of a paragon than the MCU's Captain America.

Misty Knight, Mariah, Shades, and Cottonmouth were all engaging enough to keep me invested, but then the back half of the season happens. poo poo drags and drags hard. Everything about Diamondback feels inserted from an entirely different show. The stuff with Reva and Seagate feels almost vestigial. Plus if you decide to take a shot every time someone yells "LUKE CAGE" whenever Luke isn't there, you'll be piss-drunk in half an episode.

And then you get to the final few episodes where the show decides to make all the barely-hidden subtext of a bulletproof black man and the concept of neighborhood and legacy so explicit you start to wonder if all the yellow framing the show is meant to symbolize literal corn.

That all having been said, it does manage to reflect a 70s spirit of Blaxploitation and Luke Cage comics without feeling like a throwback. It doesn't really matter but it was refreshing to see a majority minority cast doing superhero poo poo that isn't a comedy. The soundtrack and visual styles are largely arresting. The special effects are really enjoyable. Again most of the leads were really enjoyable. The bit with Luke's 70s costume was unnecessary but good. I didn't mind Claire/Luke from a character perspective, although it felt half-baked.

I'd give it a generous B

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Wanderer posted:

I don't think people give the choreography enough credit in "Luke Cage." Every fight Luke's in against a baseline human is about Luke exerting the precise amount of force needed to get that human out of his way. Luke is actually exhibiting an amazing amount of control by not leaving Harlem ankle-deep in severed heads.

Ya, with the way the world has reacted to the destruction left from the Incident, the collapse of SHIELD, Sokovia and whatever the Hulk does is it any wonder why Luke Cage didn't turn Harlem into a smoldering heap?

With that said, someone pointed out how it's kind of odd that he doesn't have any moments in his climactic brawl where he attempts to dismantle Diamondback's Pimp Stormtrooper suit when he at least gets the chance.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

AndyElusive posted:

Ya, with the way the world has reacted to the destruction left from the Incident, the collapse of SHIELD, Sokovia and whatever the Hulk does is it any wonder why Luke Cage didn't turn Harlem into a smoldering heap?

With that said, someone pointed out how it's kind of odd that he doesn't have any moments in his climactic brawl where he attempts to dismantle Diamondback's Pimp Stormtrooper suit when he at least gets the chance.

I had that same thought about the final battle, but I think thematically Luke was consciously choosing not to - that he was seeing the backpack weak point and intentionally refraining from hitting it. He wanted to beat the man, not the suit.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Lexi Alexander, director of the guilty pleasure classic Punisher War Zone among other things was vouching for the Luke Cage fight choreography on Twitter. Pointed out that heavyweights hit harder, move slower, don't do all the flashy stuff. Called out people for liking flashy stuff because they've never been in a real fight and don't realise what actually works in the real world. And she has been in a street fight, she's loving badass in real life, marine instructor, could kick the rear end of any three of us in this thread at once. She says it's good, I ain't going to argue, it's her point of expertise in both real life and as an action director.

I just think it was entirely appropriate for Cage's character, for his body type and powers, and visually distinctive from what we get in the other Marvel shows. I've got Daredevil for the spinning kick flips and poo poo, Jessica Jones for... well, her highly impromptu flailing, and Luke Cage who is the tank of the party. We'll be back to flashy poo poo in Iron Fist so I was cool with a bit of car door weilding as a change of pace.

My one real criticism of Luke Cage is that I wish they made it clear that getting hit can't damage him, but that it still hurts, that he still feels it. That would sell the whole thing just that bit better. Okay, shooting him won't kill him, his skin is unbreakable, but it's lots of little points of pain and blunt force trauma that he has to endure and overcome. Even the endless army of mooks firing pistols at him then makes sense, if you can't kill him you can at least hope to overpower him with pain, slow him down, overwhelm his senses. It would also make Luke more heroic, despite being objectively weaker, as then he's no longer just standing there inspecting his nails and yawning while bullets bounce off him, he's having to fight through the pain. And considering he's always restraining himself to not lose his temper, to not just get angry and punch off someone's head in rage, holding back his emotions during that onslaught of pain would also be a testament to his strength of character.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The point was that it didn't look good, with all the quick cuts and limp wristed punches. Also Punisher War Zone was bad.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The point was that it didn't look good, with all the quick cuts and limp wristed punches. Also Punisher War Zone was bad.
:agreed:

Lexi Alexander is cool af though. No one can dispute that.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Someone drew a comic about Luke getting mad about his clothes getting shot up. Possibly :nws:

http://i.imgur.com/qNXStff.jpg

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

tv show budgets make it close to impossible to do better with hand to hand fight scenes. there's just a ton of effort that goes into making a punch look real and playing up the impact without actually harming any of the actors involved. so i'm willing to give the show a pass for being slightly awkward in many of its fight scenes, particularly because i think the choreographers found a lot of other ways to make hits look impactful, like how nearly every punch luke throws when he's inside a building goes straight through a wall.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Cythereal posted:

I had that same thought about the final battle, but I think thematically Luke was consciously choosing not to - that he was seeing the backpack weak point and intentionally refraining from hitting it. He wanted to beat the man, not the suit.

It seemed to me that Diamondback's suit made him into a cut-rate Sebastian Shaw, the suit absorbed kinetic energy to power Diamondback's strength. Luke couldn't beat him unless he drained the suit through non-violent resistance before going for the KO.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The dumb mooks would just fly upwards or backwards after Luke would struggle to lift a guy. The choreography was pretty bad at times.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

My least favorite part has to be the abrupt switch from "...for a bullet?" to "all the cops are carrying them because DIamondback or something." It wouldn't be a big deal if Mariah hadn't brought up the fact that Luke might be able to be drowned, burnt, poisoned, etc. I liked the show but hot drat was there some slipshod stuff in there.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

My least favorite part has to be the abrupt switch from "...for a bullet?" to "all the cops are carrying them because DIamondback or something." It wouldn't be a big deal if Mariah hadn't brought up the fact that Luke might be able to be drowned, burnt, poisoned, etc. I liked the show but hot drat was there some slipshod stuff in there.

Police can't do any of those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

My point was that the show inverted hard on its own premise so that when Luke Cage was dealing with the police there was reason to take it "seriously," instead of any of the antagonists actually trying to drown, poison, or burn Luke.