Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

My least favorite part has to be the abrupt switch from "...for a bullet?" to "all the cops are carrying them because DIamondback or something."

Prototypes are always the superior product and the rest are mass-produced and less good in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
They literally had a line where Diamondback said the real money is in mass producing them. "They don't quite pack the individual power of my super bullets or whatever, but they can be mass produced and put into assault rifles"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

My point is far less about the continuity logistics--which don't loving matter--and more about how it feels like a cheat of a thematic device so they wouldn't have to invest in any set pieces/props that weren't standard firearm assaults.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aphrodite posted:

Police can't do any of those things.

Tear gas, water hoses, mace

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
When Method Man showed up to talk to luke cage about music and then did a Luke Cage rap where he compared him to Trayvon Martin I laughed out loud.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

I honestly get the feeling that the mass produced bullets don't do anything to Luke, he's never with hit with any and Diamondback doesn't even have enough confidence in them to attempt to use them on Luke. Why would Diamondback give weapons that work on Luke to the police when he wants to kill him himself?

It's not great writing wise if that was the intention and they never explained it, but I can see Diamondback selling the police placebo bullets to make them feel safe as an explanation for them possibly not working in the future.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Dexo posted:

They literally had a line where Diamondback said the real money is in mass producing them. "They don't quite pack the individual power of my super bullets or whatever, but they can be mass produced and put into assault rifles"

He wasn't the one manufacturing then though, was he? It's not like you can just break down your magic drill bullet and turn it into multiple smaller, weaker magic drill bullets.

Or maybe you can, since the idea of "bullet that can pierce unbreakable skin because it's made of stuff that came from aliens or whatever" is stupid and outlandish enough so why not run with it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

LeafyOrb posted:

I honestly get the feeling that the mass produced bullets don't do anything to Luke, he's never with hit with any and Diamondback doesn't even have enough confidence in them to attempt to use them on Luke. Why would Diamondback give weapons that work on Luke to the police when he wants to kill him himself?

It's not great writing wise if that was the intention and they never explained it, but I can see Diamondback selling the police placebo bullets to make them feel safe as an explanation for them possibly not working in the future.

Because he likes money?

The money that he would obtain from a lucrative weapons contract with a police department.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Also Punisher War Zone was bad.

It was actually really over the top and fun.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Also Punisher War Zone was bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeFVfMRTBiA

Cinematic masterpiece.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Pretty sure they do play around with the idea that despite being bulletproof he still feels it. When he gets shot point blank in the hand by one dude he visibly winces, grits his teeth and grunts/growls in discomfort or irritation. There seemed to be a few other times where getting hit, especially when he's not expecting it, seems to cause varying degrees of irritation, discomfort, or outright pain.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Dexo posted:

Because he likes money?

The money that he would obtain from a lucrative weapons contract with a police department.

Which he has regardless of whether he gave them weapons that actually work, because why would he?

Hell, weapons made of broken promises is practically Hammer's entire thing in the MCU.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

That was great! My favourite Netflix Marvel thing so far. I'd rate them as follows:

1. Luke Cage
2. Daredevil Season 1
3. Jessica Jones
4. Daredevil Season 2

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I think the Punisher related parts of Daredevil S02 is my favorite Marvel Netflix thing.
Then the intent behind, and everything not a majority of the dialog, and the diegetic music of Luke Cage.
Then Jessica Jones, sans action scenes.
Then Daredevil S01 in its entirety.

These are the best 2010+ Marvel things out to date.

But really, I think it was mostly Diamondback who soured me on Luke Cage. Cottonmouth was a cool-rear end villain. Mariah made a solid second. Shades was a great tying element. Diamondback was just all sorts of retarded.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Oct 7, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Zebulon posted:

Pretty sure they do play around with the idea that despite being bulletproof he still feels it. When he gets shot point blank in the hand by one dude he visibly winces, grits his teeth and grunts/growls in discomfort or irritation. There seemed to be a few other times where getting hit, especially when he's not expecting it, seems to cause varying degrees of irritation, discomfort, or outright pain.

Wanna see Luke Cage put his fingers down both barrels of a shotgun and also peel one open like a banana.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Bit of new Punisher set news. Think it was already posted here about the three new cast members and their roles, but just saw that Karen Page is also in the show. Set photo of them with Jon Bernthal. Not sure if that counts as a spoiler, but some people like even minor surprises.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Drifter posted:

I think the Punisher related parts of Daredevil S02 is my favorite Marvel Netflix thing.
Then the intent behind, and everything not a majority of the dialog, and the diegetic music of Luke Cage.
Then Jessica Jones, sans action scenes.
Then Daredevil S01 in its entirety.

These are the best 2010+ Marvel things out to date.

But really, I think it was mostly Diamondback who soured me on Luke Cage. Cottonmouth was a cool-rear end villain. Mariah made a solid second. Shades was a great tying element. Diamondback was just all sorts of retarded.

I agree with all the above but I'd put JJ above Luke Cage personally. DD Season 2 was odd in that the Punisher/DD/Karen storyline was the best stuff Marvel has done but the rest of the season and the final episode especially were so bad it brought it down very hard.

Regarding Luke feeling pain, they establish in JJ that a shotgun shot at point blank can cause Luke brain hemorrhaging and they mention that event a couple times in the series so maybe they didn't feel the need to show it explicitly again. He does spit out blood during the fight with Diamondback.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jessica Jones spent way too much time trying to figure out if they should or shouldn't kill Purple Man for my liking. I mean I appreciate there was a legitimate story reason to have the debate outside of the dumb Batman and Joker thing, but it's still a conversation I'm super tired of.

Plus the Purple Man getting an "upgrade" barely managed to up the stakes at all, and it was a missed opportunity to turn him purple. Come on, have a little fun with your dreary depressing trauma-fest shows!

Actually, though, the real disappointment of the show was that Jessica was immune to him. It basically made the "how do you stop a person with this power?" problem completely moot, redirecting the plot entirely to "is it ok to kill him" and reducing the opportunity for cleverness.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

Tear gas, water hoses, mace

Or, you know, a taser. I was kind of shocked that nobody ever tried that. His skin is unbreakable, but it still conducts electricity, doesn't it? It worked really good on Jessica in her series.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

It would just bounce off.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

Or, you know, a taser. I was kind of shocked that nobody ever tried that. His skin is unbreakable, but it still conducts electricity, doesn't it? It worked really good on Jessica in her series.

The prongs won't be able to penetrate his skin. A taser isn't a magic wand of thunderbolts, the electricity needs a path to him.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Sorry, I meant more like a generalized stun gun or prod or somethin'. There's plenty electroshock weapons that don't need to penetrate the skin to function, right?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

That was great! My favourite Netflix Marvel thing so far. I'd rate them as follows:

1. Luke Cage
2. Daredevil Season 1
3. Jessica Jones
4. Daredevil Season 2

Yeah, just finished it and agree on this list. Looking forward to Iron Fist.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

1. Luke Cage
2. Daredevil Season 1
3. Jessica Jones
4. Daredevil Season 2

I don't think it's fair to list Daredevil Season 2 as one entry, because the Punisher arc and that ninja bullshit that followed might as well be two separate shows.
Same with Luke Cage because the Diamondback arc drags the season way down. I'd break it down like this:

1. Daredevil S2 - Punisher arc
2. Luke Cage - Cottonmouth arc
3. Daredevil S1
4. Jessica Jones
5. Luke Cage - Diamondback arc
6. Daredevil S2 - Ninja bullshit

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I was so hyped for the ninja stuff in Daredevil, I have no idea why it was so incredibly lame.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Lurdiak posted:

I was so hyped for the ninja stuff in Daredevil, I have no idea why it was so incredibly lame.

Because of the established tone of the show, they couldn't go full-on bullshit ninja, so it ended up being kind of a weak-rear end half-measure. They should have saved the ninjas for a season or two later, when things had escalated enough.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Because ninjas are asian fetishism that rely on stereotypes to work.

also ninjas never existed as people think of them these days

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Slime posted:

What about all the Ninja stuff that is made for Asians? Like Naruto. Are little Japanese kids watching Naruto engaging in Asian fetishism?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Phylodox posted:

Because of the established tone of the show, they couldn't go full-on bullshit ninja, so it ended up being kind of a weak-rear end half-measure. They should have saved the ninjas for a season or two later, when things had escalated enough.

What I mean is that they did creepy mystical stuff and dangerous ninja fight perfectly acceptably in season 1, but in S2 the fights were surprisingly weak, the ninjas attacked one at a time instead of in the frightening waves of arms and swords Frank Miller made so iconic, and the plot was just some dumb Star Wars prophecy poo poo instead of anything interesting.

Slime posted:

Daredevil is 100% a ninja. There is no getting away from how much of a ninja he is.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Slime posted:

oh no, how could they possibly exist in the comic book universe- a land where being knocked out is just a nap with a headache and drugs can give you super muscles on and off- like that?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lurdiak posted:

Because the end game of that plot line was "we dug a big hole because Reasons and also your childhood crush is the Chosen One/Anti-Christ".

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Lurdiak posted:

Jessica Jones spent way too much time trying to figure out if they should or shouldn't kill Purple Man for my liking. I mean I appreciate there was a legitimate story reason to have the debate outside of the dumb Batman and Joker thing, but it's still a conversation I'm super tired of.

Plus the Purple Man getting an "upgrade" barely managed to up the stakes at all, and it was a missed opportunity to turn him purple. Come on, have a little fun with your dreary depressing trauma-fest shows!

Actually, though, the real disappointment of the show was that Jessica was immune to him. It basically made the "how do you stop a person with this power?" problem completely moot, redirecting the plot entirely to "is it ok to kill him" and reducing the opportunity for cleverness.

While having her immune after the upgrade cheapened the last episode for sure, it fed into the central theme for the rest of the show and explained Kilgrave's behavior. Because of Jessica's trauma, her fear of him controlled her behavior and she never thought through things critically beyond proving the crime against her and her proxy were real. It was a bit contrived but that's comic books for ya. I'd still rank the whole thing above everything Marvel MCU except the Daredevil Punisher storyline.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

What I mean is that they did creepy mystical stuff and dangerous ninja fight perfectly acceptably in season 1, but in S2 the fights were surprisingly weak, the ninjas attacked one at a time instead of in the frightening waves of arms and swords Frank Miller made so iconic, and the plot was just some dumb Star Wars prophecy poo poo instead of anything interesting.

Yep. I explained to my girlfriend while watching Game of Thrones (because some of the Wall invasion episodes are really reminiscient, to me, of Miller-era Hand stuff) is that the Hand isn't threatening because they are the best fighters, or they have the best assassins (though sometimes they do). They're a threat because their ninjas are just a massive wave and they just keep coming, and when you think they're done, another wave comes again. And then when you kill one, it vanishes in smoke.

But instead of exploring how the Hand has gotten their hands into so many parts of society and legit businesses (which they kind of did at first, and then dropped it), and how these ninjas just come in endless waves, I think the biggest fight scene had like....12, maybe 20 ninjas. For superheroes like Matt and Elektra, that's loving nothing.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
The writers clearly wanted to be working on a Punisher show. Also they wanted Elektra to act as stupidly as possible.

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

I'm still trying to decide if Diamondback pulled Luke Cage down more than Elektra did on Daredevil.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Elektra ruled

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
i'm sorry that i made people mad talking about ninjas but i guess i was still pissed about how bad the ninja segment of daredevil was compared to the punisher segment.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Ireallylikeeggs posted:

I'm still trying to decide if Diamondback pulled Luke Cage down more than Elektra did on Daredevil.

Neither really did as much damage as Nuke.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Lurdiak posted:

I think the weirdest part of the upgrade made the Purple Man's powers go from "oh he has these strange pheromones" to "APPARENTLY PHEROMONES WORK THROUGH INTERCOMS I GUESS"

Also I always wondered why Jessica never tried to just cut out his tongue, if given the opportunity. Then the "will they won't they" kill him would be moot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Neither really did as much damage as Nuke.

Nuke owned and outside yet another awkward Marvel sex scene was legit compelling. The actor did a fantastic job of conveying a brutal unhinged lunatic after he started his red pills. :shrug: