Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Cojawfee posted:

My problem with roomscale is I haven't had a bunch of room to actually do it. Sure I could walk around the space I have available but I walk two feet and then I'm in a wall. Teleporting everywhere is just easier. 360 with just two cameras is going to be exactly what everyone is already doing with roomscale. Even the two cameras in front configuration is going to be good enough for at least half the games out there.

Yeah, considering the space I have, "roomscale" and "standing scale" seem to be roughly equivalent. I can move a few feet but that's gonna be about it. I'm envious of you folks who can have some sort of warehouse sized holodeck setup, but for me I'm sure glad most games of that type allow for teleportation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Truga posted:

I really hope we get more poo poo like Greenwater though. It scales itself to match in-game room size to your room size (though there's a minimum of 2.5x2.5m I think), and going through doors is handled so you're facing the door you just went through, as if you closed it.

I thought Job Simulator was supposed to do that, but from the Giant Bomb PSVR stream it looks like it does so incredibly badly - to the point where on PSVR the cubicle walls only seem to come up to your waist?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

NRVNQSR posted:

I thought Job Simulator was supposed to do that, but from the Giant Bomb PSVR stream it looks like it does so incredibly badly - to the point where on PSVR the cubicle walls only seem to come up to your waist?

They said on the stream that the PSVR version of Job Sim has been shrunk down from the PC version to compensate for the weaker room scale support. Things have been moved to within arms reach and pushed closer together so you don't ever have to leave your starting spot.

The cubicle walls thing seemed to be a calibration error, they had trouble manually setting the floor height IIRC. It looked right by the time they switched to the auto repair scenario.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The PC version of Job Simulator scales to how much room you have. When you finish all the jobs and you unlock the miniature version, go into each job and see how much different they are. That's the full size you can get with a big play area. For PSVR, I'm guessing everything is in the smallest configuration, though I thought they had planned on rearranging everything to make it all be in front of you. The "cubicles only come up to your waist" thing was due to the terrible way you configure your height in PSVR. You have to do it in each game and Jeff pretty much was guessing at what the floor height was. That seems to be an issue with PSVR. With all the games they played, it looked like it expected you to be in a certain stance either sitting or standing and the other option was barely implemented at best.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I want to have 4 cameras so I can double roomscale! :v:

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
The three cameras for "room scale" is probably just a way to increase the tracking volume to something big enough for people to consider it "room scale". Once you get about 2.4 meters or so away from the camera in a typical house, you start getting issues. Three cameras would let you open up the play space a bit more.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

EdEddnEddy posted:

I want to have 4 cameras so I can double roomscale! :v:

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/7/25/12277424/oculus-home-rift-touch-sensors-camera-trackers

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

how much does my VRabilitying increase with each additional camera

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I'm buying 15 personally

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

living the dream

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Delta-Wye posted:

living the dream

That's pretty much what they had setup for that VR Trike thing at VRLA. Had a bunch of lighthouses and the guy on a battery powered trike with a headset riding around in a figure 8 while he did the same but in VR in the headset. It was just a lot more Tron-ish.

They had like 15 sensors or so with IR LED's in a 50ftx50ft space or so.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I am confused - I thought the Vive didnt support adding more than two lighthouses?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

GlyphGryph posted:

I am confused - I thought the Vive didnt support adding more than two lighthouses?

The Vive doesn't really connect to the lighthouses besides to turn them on or off, they basically emit beams of light and the Vive helmet is what captures these. So you could technically have a field of lighthouses and it'd just be reading multiple positions tracks.

The problem is that I don't think the software as written registers more than 2 at a time.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

EdEddnEddy posted:

That's pretty much what they had setup for that VR Trike thing at VRLA. Had a bunch of lighthouses and the guy on a battery powered trike with a headset riding around in a figure 8 while he did the same but in VR in the headset. It was just a lot more Tron-ish.

They had like 15 sensors or so with IR LED's in a 50ftx50ft space or so.

There will be a Mario Kart x Laser Tag real life VR experience in our lifetime I bet.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Mordaedil posted:

The problem is that I don't think the software as written registers more than 2 at a time.

The vive does track which lighthouse is which, and the lighthouses have to communicate to each other by light or cable, and it does it by unique patterns - thats the whole sync thing.

As far as I am aware, the lighthouses only have two patterns, so using more than two should only serve to confuse the vive.

I am not doubting they got it working somehow, but I would be interested in know how.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I've read that there isn't enough room in the laser sweeps for more than two base stations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

According to Alan Yates: Right now the lighthouses operate in a TDM mode where each lighthouse alternatively is scanning half the time, and the laser is modulated so the sensors can discriminate the scan vs background noise. The current sensors can't do FDM though, because they're tuned to a fixed carrier frequency. TDM isn't particularly scalable, and they'll have to release a new HMD/controllers to support FDM (the lighthouses already support it). Yates has talked about a third mode that uses lighthouses scanning at different speeds and multiplexing it based on scan rates that the hardware is designed to support, but whether there's any kind of software written for it they haven't shown.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
^^^ This post says it better.

As I understand it, it's possible to use more than two lighthouses by having them each emit a unique beam, but the sensors in the headset/controllers are just very basic photodiodes and couldn't distinguish them. With more expensive photodiodes it would be possible to have more than two base stations, but it wasn't considered a priority.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Electromax posted:

There will be a Mario Kart x Laser Tag real life VR experience in our lifetime I bet.

Someone's already created a basic version of that:

http://jalopnik.com/i-played-real-life-mario-kart-at-sxsw-1540137726

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
Fired up the Rift for the first time in a few weeks and the sensor wasn't being recognized on any USB port. I would hear the windows USB install sound but Oculus Home was kept saying it could not find the sensor. In device manager it looked like the drivers weren't being installed right. Had to manually update drivers and point to C:\Program Files\Oculus VR Runtime Drivers\Drivers\Rift Sensor to get it to work. Thought I'd put that here in case anyone else runs into that.

Might have something to do with the Win 10 anniversary update.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
My friend's been messing around with modding VR into Penumbra: Overture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMbIcwtcTWA

He plans to release it very soon, maybe even this weekend.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Tested looked at Lone Echo, one of the big games announced at OC3. Seems like it could be really loving cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggZvKL3pArc

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Nalin posted:

My friend's been messing around with modding VR into Penumbra: Overture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMbIcwtcTWA

He plans to release it very soon, maybe even this weekend.

I want. That's still my favorite game by Frictional.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

El Grillo posted:

Tested looked at Lone Echo, one of the big games announced at OC3. Seems like it could be really loving cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggZvKL3pArc

So excited to play this on my Vive.

Looks so god drat good.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I finally got around to playing the little drone shooter game in The Lab on the Vive. Bullet hell in a 3D space like that was super interesting and fun, I hope someone makes a series of bullet hell games in the same vein. Are there currently any existing games that are like it?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

yeah I'm really glad someone made this shmups.com forum meme in VR and hope they continue to

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Oculus have published the technical requirements that developers must abide by to release games on Oculus Home. It's mostly sensible conventional stuff, but one thing caught my eye:

Technical Requirements posted:

• Correctly uses entitlement checks to prevent unauthorized access. See Entitlements: App Authorizations.

In other words, any app published on Oculus Home must use their DRM; DRM-free titles are not permitted. This is especially noteworthy since this DRM was what they used to enforce the Vive lockout they tried to pull earlier this year.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Wouldn't doing that also disallow GPL-licensed code?

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

El Grillo posted:

Tested looked at Lone Echo, one of the big games announced at OC3. Seems like it could be really loving cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggZvKL3pArc

That looks awesome, and it seems like it could be easily integrated with things like grappling hooks. I hope more games will implement that kind of motion.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Rectus posted:

That looks awesome, and it seems like it could be easily integrated with things like grappling hooks. I hope more games will implement that kind of motion.

That game looks amazing and I can't wait to play it, but as well as that mode of locomotion looks to work, its pretty niche. It's hard to see 'zero g confined spaces with a lot to grab onto' as a big genre.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I dunno, I could see zero g grab and pull games becoming a big thing in VR, maybe we are witnessing the birth of a new genre

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
If the gameplay is fun enough, niche doesn't really matter for adoption. It's not like running around shooting guns is a big part of most people's everyday life.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

I dunno, I could see zero g grab and pull games becoming a big thing in VR, maybe we are witnessing the birth of a new genre
Space Engineers would be interesting in VR, since most of the time you're just floating around in space or piloting a vehicle.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

That game looks amazing and I can't wait to play it, but as well as that mode of locomotion looks to work, its pretty niche. It's hard to see 'zero g confined spaces with a lot to grab onto' as a big genre.

Even without zero g, grabbing onto things is really intuitive and easy to implement. You get some really fine control on how you move relative to the environment. I even managed to sort of implement by accident in Destinations with the barnacle grapple.

It could be useful as a secondary locomotion mode. Imagine having it in something like Onward, where you have to peek and shoot a lot around corners and over cover, but you can't lean on it in reality. You could grab onto the cover and pull yourself just to the right position without having to crouch or stand in a tedious position.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
H3 has a similar locomotion mode in a couple of its scenes where you can grab on to corners and ledges and bars to pull yourself along, it's actually really great and I can imagine it would work wonders in a space game like that one.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The new vertigo demo has some monkey bar and ladder traversal and they both feel great.

As far as vr unique genres driven by movement I've been saying for ages that there is a ton of potential for wheelchair sims. Imagine a survival horror game where you wheel around with a shotgun in your lap, or a wheelchair basketball game.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

The Walrus posted:

As far as vr unique genres driven by movement I've been saying for ages that there is a ton of potential for wheelchair sims. Imagine a survival horror game where you wheel around with a shotgun in your lap, or a wheelchair basketball game.

It's extra weird because, like a lot of the other "this would be obvious" VR stuff (like actual horror games), games where you are in a wheelchair existed and were developed for the DK2 but there don't seem to be any now that it's commercially released. It's weird.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
If any game needs to come out in VR, it's this one.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Electromax posted:

That would make all the GoKart locations immensely more fun. I wonder how long it will be until people are strapping modified Samsung GearVR's to their faces and driving those Scandia carts around throwing virtual shells and bananas around.. That would be fun times for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
No one will ever get their insurance to sign off on letting people strap cell phones to their faces and drive gokarts.