Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Filthyrobot does that typical American thing where he rasps his voice like a chain smoker. Once I noticed it, I had trouble concentrating on what he was even saying, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

Leinadi posted:

I think Marbozir is the only streamer guy I've watched for this game that I can actually stand for more than a few videos. Can't stand quill's "enthusiasm" (especially considering that he he can actually talk like a normal person, like in older videos he's done) and FilthyRobot settles into this way of talking where his voice just grates on my nerves really badly. He also misses some really obvious stuff because he just doesn't read stuff.

Feeling whiny here but yeah... Marbozir's playthrough is the best one I think. He does a good job of presenting the game while learning the mechanics himself.

Gonna second this. Marbozir does a great job and just seems like a good-natured genuine guy who is enjoying the game

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I keep expecting him to break out into the Swedish chef song and drop a couple of 'bork borks' in the middle of a video.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Leinadi posted:

I think Marbozir is the only streamer guy I've watched for this game that I can actually stand for more than a few videos. Can't stand quill's "enthusiasm" (especially considering that he he can actually talk like a normal person, like in older videos he's done) and FilthyRobot settles into this way of talking where his voice just grates on my nerves really badly. He also misses some really obvious stuff because he just doesn't read stuff.

Feeling whiny here but yeah... Marbozir's playthrough is the best one I think. He does a good job of presenting the game while learning the mechanics himself.
Marborzir is good, I was just watching his videos. But he has the memory of a goldfish. I guess it's a product of it being a really involved game that he's unfamiliar with, and has to commentate on, but I can't count the number of times he's decided he needs a farm or a mine somewhere, sends a worker there... and then when it gets there he declares he needs something else somewhere else and moves the worker without building anything. So many of his units just end up going back and forth between two locations because he can't remember what his plans for them are two turns in a row.

Though I suppose if someone finds a streamer that doesn't do that they'll be the first.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Arumba is also playing Rome in civ 6. I generally enjoy his level of sperg, and he's certainly calm if you dislike Quill's enthusiasm

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH-huzMEgGWDSuoidhR6uj3-sb_FAEt0A

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Yeah it's kinda annoying when Filthy misses really obvious stuff.

"No Filthy, don't move your scout away from the goody hut. Goddammit you even mentioned it last turn go baaaaaack!" :argh:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Filthy taught me how to play Civ 5 properly and I like listening to his thinking behind what he's doing (even if he misses obvious poo poo like that hut), because it's a way of looking at and deconstructing the game mechanics that doesn't come naturally to me.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Eiba posted:

Marborzir is good, I was just watching his videos. But he has the memory of a goldfish. I guess it's a product of it being a really involved game that he's unfamiliar with, and has to commentate on, but I can't count the number of times he's decided he needs a farm or a mine somewhere, sends a worker there... and then when it gets there he declares he needs something else somewhere else and moves the worker without building anything. So many of his units just end up going back and forth between two locations because he can't remember what his plans for them are two turns in a row.

Though I suppose if someone finds a streamer that doesn't do that they'll be the first.
Maybe he's imitating the worker AI.

Also goldfish have decent memories. The few seconds crap is just made up. :reject:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I like Quill18.

Also, what happend to MadDjinn? Wasn't he like the premier Civ V youtuber and now he's doing no Civ VI?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Wasn't he the one that broke open Beyond Earth in a single stream? Maybe he got blacklisted

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Everyone that plays 4X games on Youtube is insufferable to some degree. The question is, what can you tolerate and how far?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Lets face it, if you're trying to hunt down some streams of a 4X you're probably intolerable as well

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Vorpal Cat posted:

I generally like his stuff but man he has some of the worst reading compression I have ever seen. It's like if he's skimmed past something once and half understood it then his brain refuses to go back and reread it. Even if he knows he's missing something.

Plays Germany "where am I getting an extra military policy slot from?" Franticly looks through civilipedia, skipping past the first line of Frederick's unique ability at least five times in the process.

Plays Rome "I swear there's something you can build aquaducts next to mountains." Flips through civopedia, ignores the building tool tip that has mountain as the first thing in the list of things an aquaduct can pull fresh water from.

I'm always amused by the phenomenon of people who have good gaming instincts and a knack for understanding the design of their specialized genre of choice down to the most fundamental level but are just really bad at actually learning new games or following instructions the developer clearly lays out to them.

Makes me wonder if developers actually despise the dumbed down braindead tutorial-style method of teaching players how to play their game that are often done nowadays but are forced to do it that way because otherwise no one will understand how your game works.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wonder how much of it is just part of video LPing itself, particularly since these guys tend to try to explain things as they go; I've done LPs before but they were always screenshot ones so it was different from having to actively narrate your actions and thoughts while playing. It probably drives things out of their mind that they'd otherwise remember.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
I'm sure all of these people are idiots, terrible at streaming, can't figure out games, and it has nothing to do with them being ordinary, non-obsessive, non-autistic people.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

In the case of Filthy Robot he pretty much opens up his first video with "I was going to try to learn the game first and then stream it but you guys wanted to watch me learn so here we are"

The viewers then of course got very frustrated with him missing obvious stuff, but they got what they asked for

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I bet we all miss obvious stuff when we game, we just don't have a captive audience watching over our shoulder who will point it out

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

In the case of Filthy Robot he pretty much opens up his first video with "I was going to try to learn the game first and then stream it but you guys wanted to watch me learn so here we are"

The viewers then of course got very frustrated with him missing obvious stuff, but they got what they asked for

That was exactly what I wanted: someone learning the game and walking me through his thought processes as he did it. I didn't want someone who played the perfect game of Civ 6 out of the gate.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

SlyFrog posted:

I'm sure all of these people are idiots, terrible at streaming, can't figure out games, and it has nothing to do with them being ordinary, non-obsessive, non-autistic people.
Honestly, it's because we can see their mistakes, but we can't see our own. If you learn something new after hours of playing Civ, that feels just like you learned something and made progress. Not like you were a blithering idiot who missed this obvious thing for hours.

All the people who criticize them for being bad would probably make just as bad if not worse mistakes and never realize it.

I was saying watching some of that stuff was frustrating earlier, but I know it's just a product of being a helpless observer, not because streamers are some unique class of dumb people.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Peas and Rice posted:

That was exactly what I wanted: someone learning the game and walking me through his thought processes as he did it. I didn't want someone who played the perfect game of Civ 6 out of the gate.

I totally see the value of that, but people are going to have to accept that they're going to see streamers do dumb poo poo as a result. And not even fun dumb poo poo like attacking at the wrong time, but painful dumb poo poo like missing obvious tooltips.

That said, some are clearly better at learning on the fly than others are.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eiba posted:

Honestly, it's because we can see their mistakes, but we can't see our own. If you learn something new after hours of playing Civ, that feels just like you learned something and made progress. Not like you were a blithering idiot who missed this obvious thing for hours.

All the people who criticize them for being bad would probably make just as bad if not worse mistakes and never realize it.

I was saying watching some of that stuff was frustrating earlier, but I know it's just a product of being a helpless observer, not because streamers are some unique class of dumb people.

Oh yeah, this too. I was even thinking about it as I mentally yelled at Filthy for moving past a goody hut he pointed out the turn before, or watching Marbozir nearly settle a city a tile too far away from a major reason he chose to settle in that area in the first place. I make mistakes too, and sometimes notice them, sometimes don't. It's just frustrating to watch the mistakes and not be able to do anything about them.

Also part of why I like watching the Yogscast videos (usually) despite them being worse players; besides there being banter and stuff, two+ people means talking back and forth and mistakes getting caught (even if Lewis sometimes goes ahead with bad ideas anyway), or it's an MP game and there's a lot of stuff going on so you're invested in all the players, not just one, so one doing something monumentally stupid isn't as bad, and can even be good because it means you're going to get to see another person you might even be rooting for more punish them for it. It helps a lot.

Filthy and Arumba's first video where one's commenting and advising while the other plays was good for similar reasons, though I haven't watched the second yet.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 8, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Super Jay Mann posted:

Makes me wonder if developers actually despise the dumbed down braindead tutorial-style method of teaching players how to play their game that are often done nowadays but are forced to do it that way because otherwise no one will understand how your game works.

You bet your rear end they do. It almost always breaks flow and pacing in the introduction of the game and makes it that much harder to get invested in what's going on when someone has to tell your grizzled detective how to operate a doorknob or whatever. In ye olden days they could just stuff all that crap in the manual and it was the player's own fault for not reading instructions. But now nobody wants to read anything unless it's required, so, surprise! you have to force them to read and understand instructions (or just mash buttons wildly) to progress. Otherwise you get a million loud, angry rants online about how your lovely game doesn't work and won't let them progress.

I mean, it's possible to do an ingame tutorial well, but it's a goddamn art form that very few games get right.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Tarquinn posted:

I like Quill18.

Also, what happend to MadDjinn? Wasn't he like the premier Civ V youtuber and now he's doing no Civ VI?

He had a trip to Spain planned when they did the pre release stuff so oh whelp

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You bet your rear end they do. It almost always breaks flow and pacing in the introduction of the game and makes it that much harder to get invested in what's going on when someone has to tell your grizzled detective how to operate a doorknob or whatever. In ye olden days they could just stuff all that crap in the manual and it was the player's own fault for not reading instructions. But now nobody wants to read anything unless it's required, so, surprise! you have to force them to read and understand instructions (or just mash buttons wildly) to progress. Otherwise you get a million loud, angry rants online about how your lovely game doesn't work and won't let them progress.

I mean, it's possible to do an ingame tutorial well, but it's a goddamn art form that very few games get right.

Go watch any Valve video they have on game design and see them talk about how hard it is to get people to do something like look upwards.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Tarquinn posted:

I like Quill18.

He burned out on Civ 5 super hard after a while. It's a shame. Dude was basically the best player in the world of that game.

He'll probably have at least a couple video series on Civ 6 I expect, even if for no other reason than to shut up people who keep asking.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

Jay Rust posted:

I bet we all miss obvious stuff when we game, we just don't have a captive audience watching over our shoulder who will point it out

We have a winner. And again, also, people who stream this stuff may just not be the hyper-sperg goonlords we have here. To obsessives, ordinary lack of focus and concentration can seem like criminal oversights.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

SlyFrog posted:

SlyFrog posted:

We have a winner. And again, also, people who stream this stuff may just not be the hyper-sperg goonlords we have here. To obsessives, ordinary lack of focus and concentration can seem like criminal oversights.

Projecting a little here, aren't we?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Captain Fargle posted:

He burned out on Civ 5 super hard after a while. It's a shame. Dude was basically the best player in the world of that game.

He'll probably have at least a couple video series on Civ 6 I expect, even if for no other reason than to shut up people who keep asking.

It's hard to keep playing Civ V once you get good. 4 cities, national college, rationalism EVERY TIME.

I'm sure he is legitimately interested in VI though. He still cohosts the civilization podcast.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I for one demand impeccable attention to detail when I watch my internet kids shows about video games

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

My guess is the first mod will be butthurt civfanatics posters replacing the quotes with those from Civ 4 and 5.

Didn't someone in this very thread want a way to replace the quotes with the older games

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The new quotes seem fine but nodding in the old quotes is one of the less grognardy things to put in the workshop imo. People here can get so cynical sometimes.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I hope my computer will be able to run it, the game doesn't look like it should be that taxing.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

I hope my computer will be able to run it, the game doesn't look like it should be that taxing.
Strategic view is still a thing. It actually looks prettier than ever too.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

The Human Crouton posted:

It's hard to keep playing Civ V once you get good. 4 cities, national college, rationalism EVERY TIME.

You can just... not do that, you know.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

It's not our fault that there's only two ways to play CiV on the higher difficulties without kneecapping yourself or losing within the first few eras.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Captain Fargle posted:

Ah, that's quite understandable. Thanks!

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Is the settler unit turn an RV in the modern era?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

You can just... not do that, you know.

People derive their enjoyment from games in different ways, and none is less valid than any other. A lot of people derive their enjoyment from games by knowing and understanding the mechanics as fully as possible and using their hard-won knowledge and experience to defeat the game on the hardest difficulties. If that's the way someone finds games enjoyable, and they've found that there are a very small number of valid strategies to win on the hardest difficulty and mastered them all, it's reasonable for them to lose interest in the game, and it's also reasonable for them to be disappointed the game wasn't robustly designed to not have a definite best strategy that is the same every game. If that person doesn't find deliberately handicapping themself fun, why bother?

I don't share those opinions (I've been playing on Warlord for 23 years now), but I don't think it's wrong for people to want to play the game the best way.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Eiba posted:

Strategic view is still a thing. It actually looks prettier than ever too.

On one hand yeah I hear you, but on the other, back when I was playing Civ 5 on a far-too-old laptop, strategic view didn't help that much. It made scrolling over the map faster for sure, but that's just graphics. Turns were slow, it would hang after attacking with a unit, and mapgen was a case of "brah I bet you I can run to the taco truck before this map finishes." Civ is a taxing program, no two ways about it, but strategic mode will at least maybe keep your computer from melting :shobon:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
My problem with V's difficulty levels was the gap between Emperor and Immortal. Once you got good at the game, Emperor stopped being challenging but on Immortal it became hard to play "naturally" if you wanted to actually win.

A difficulty level somewhere between those two would've been perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Azhais posted:

Arumba is also playing Rome in civ 6. I generally enjoy his level of sperg, and he's certainly calm if you dislike Quill's enthusiasm

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH-huzMEgGWDSuoidhR6uj3-sb_FAEt0A

I watched a few at work this week as my bosses were away so why not and this guy was just the worst. I totally understand people getting frustrated with people non-optimally playing (though with a brand new game where they are literally playing it as they re learning it I can certainly understand why mistakes are made) but this guy just straight up blames the game for being "loving stupid" as he makes boneheaded thoughtless choices over and over again. All the other ones I saw, Quill, Marbozir and Filthyrobot acknowledged their unfamiliarity with the new mechanics, but Arumba was the only one to come across as arrogant. To each his own I guess, but I found him insufferable. I would recommend Marbozir's videos over all of them I think. It surprised me how much I enjoyed watching a youtube series of some other bloke playing Civ games, reminded me of when my brother and I took turns as kids and we would watch each other play games.

Another thing is that watching a few of these streams / youtubes did cement it in my mind that I will skip out on Civ VI until next year, post some DLC and perhaps an expansion. It doesn't seem like the Ai is any good (is it ever?) and really, it doesn't seem that much different to Civ V for me personally to get really interested. I don't have that much time to dedicate to 4x games anymore and I think I will get more out of the Endless Legend Tempest in the short term for a much lower price. In that sense Friaxis has actually lost a sale based on letting these online guys have at it 3 weeks early.