Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Treasure Knight is a bit of an odd beast, in that he has some things that make the fight easier (big hitbox, spends a lot of time standing still) and some that make it harder (range, when he does move he's pretty quick, that goddamn whirlpool treasure box). I guess it makes sense that you have a variable time fighting him.

Now we've hit Iron Whale, there's a couple of things I want to link. First is my favourite track from Strike the Earth!, Sub Atomic by coda. I just love how inventive it is with the source.

The other thing was this neat video where Shovel Knight level designer Michael Herbster made a Mario Maker level, which contained some Iron Whale spoilers. It's fun to watch the thought processes he goes through to make a level hard but fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I think those purple things are barnacles.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

shrimp, got it

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
The goku guys appear to be wearing gulper eels as hats.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I liked that angler fish mimic. Things that pretend to be things in videogames are something I usually like.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

McDragon posted:

I liked that angler fish mimic. Things that pretend to be things in videogames are something I usually like.

It's also a nice little reference to the Dragon in MegaMan 2 without being out of place or feeling unnatural.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Let's take a momentary break from fighting the Order of No Quarter to do some light shopping and clear out the valley of bonuses and wanderers!

New music sheets and terrible jokes coming when I get home from work, as usual.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
The bonus boss track might be my favourite piece of music in the game... so it's kind of a shame that it was one of the few tracks that wasn't actually composed for Shovel Knight.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I wanna say that Baz originated from some very early concept art/designs of a 90s fighting game but someone's gonna have to back me up on that. It may have even been from SF2.

vdate posted:

The bonus boss track might be my favourite piece of music in the game... so it's kind of a shame that it was one of the few tracks that wasn't actually composed for Shovel Knight.

:same: I really like all of those fights, it's a shame you can't replay them the way you can with stages bosses.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

vdate posted:

The remix of it with anime lyrics is amazing.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Those bonus levels were pretty lackluster, tbh.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

C-Euro posted:

I wanna say that Baz originated from some very early concept art/designs of a 90s fighting game but someone's gonna have to back me up on that. It may have even been from SF2.
Pretty much. On the plus side, at least he has an origin beyond "original character do not steal".

Still a giant pain to fight, though. I learnt an important lesson from fighting Baz: if you fight a Wandering Hero, die to them, go somewhere else (like the Troupple Pond to get fresh ichor, say) and come back to the hero, your lost gold is gone. Boy was that awkward.

e: I think the idea of the treasure being on the right in that Iron Whale bonus level is that it's a bit more of a challenge to get to the right side of the screen in the room above than it is to drop straight down into the hole on the left, and that hopefully the player will twig this and go "ah, I should aim to go down the hole on the right".

Unfortunately you sort of learn the opposite of that lesson from the very start of Lost City, where down is progress, right is optional and right-and-down is death.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 7, 2016

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Speaking of music, here are the latest songs we picked up sheets for!

8 - Courage Under Fire
Your trials are far from over, but for now, you can rest your shovel.
"Such a surly lot, those blacksmiths. All doom and gloom. At least they pay decently!"

13 - Fighting with All of Our Might
Ride into danger, evil beware; our powerful horses carry us there!
"This was written for another land's heroic tales, but it was a perfect fit for a grand battle!"

16 - The Starlit Wilds
Rest your greaves, toast a marshmallow, and enjoy the starry night.
"I'll have you know, I invented a one-of-a-kind instrument that replicates the sound of crickets in a thicket!"

...now unfortunately, music sheets are not the only thing we've collected in our journeys. Apparently this whole time Shovel Knight has been picking up horrible, horrible puns! In an attempt to cheer up a glum villager, he unleashes these strings of verbal assault onto unprepared ears:

"Why would they just leave the catapult unattended? The operator is out to launch!"
"Why don't the snow wolves make any sound? They don't know howl."
"Why was Treasure Knight talking to a therapist? He had deep sea-ted anchor issues."
"What do they serve for breakfast on the Flying Machine? Two eggs, hover-easy."
"Why is Mona like a math book? Because they both have problems!"
"Why didn't Specter Knight go to the dance? He didn't have any body to go with!"
"Why did King Knight go to the dentist? Because he needed a new crown!"
"Why don't the rats in the Clockwork Tower make good pets? They are full of ticks!"
"Why is it called the Dark Ages? Because there's no shortage of knights!"
"Have you heard the Gastronomer is starting to cook with bullion? I tried some, but my soup was gold!"
"I applied for a job at the Juice Bar... I said 'put me to good juice!'"
"How did Baz feel after being rejected by the Order of No Quarter? Wrestle-less!"
"New disciples always ask about weapons besides the shovel blade... but we'll hear nothing of the sword!"
"I tried to pick up some gauntlets the other day... but the blacksmith said 'arm working on 'em but armor not finished yet!'"
"Did you hear about the time Tinker Knight went on a date? It was heart-wrenching!"
"Did you hear about my battle with Polar Knight? Snow problem!"
"Did you see my painting of the Troupple King? I'm not one to brag, but it's the spitting image!"
"Why does Mole Knight keep digging all the time? Just beclaws."
"What did I say as a rat knocked me into the bottomless pit? Rats!"

Toader's family is accepting donations in these trying times.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Kaubocks posted:

"Why would they just leave the catapult unattended? The operator is out to launch!"
"Why don't the snow wolves make any sound? They don't know howl."
"Why was Treasure Knight talking to a therapist? He had deep sea-ted anchor issues."
"What do they serve for breakfast on the Flying Machine? Two eggs, hover-easy."
"Why is Mona like a math book? Because they both have problems!"
"Why didn't Specter Knight go to the dance? He didn't have any body to go with!"
"Why did King Knight go to the dentist? Because he needed a new crown!"
"Why don't the rats in the Clockwork Tower make good pets? They are full of ticks!"
"Why is it called the Dark Ages? Because there's no shortage of knights!"
"Have you heard the Gastronomer is starting to cook with bullion? I tried some, but my soup was gold!"
"I applied for a job at the Juice Bar... I said 'put me to good juice!'"
"How did Baz feel after being rejected by the Order of No Quarter? Wrestle-less!"
"New disciples always ask about weapons besides the shovel blade... but we'll hear nothing of the sword!"
"I tried to pick up some gauntlets the other day... but the blacksmith said 'arm working on 'em but armor not finished yet!'"
"Did you hear about the time Tinker Knight went on a date? It was heart-wrenching!"
"Did you hear about my battle with Polar Knight? Snow problem!"
"Did you see my painting of the Troupple King? I'm not one to brag, but it's the spitting image!"
"Why does Mole Knight keep digging all the time? Just beclaws."
"What did I say as a rat knocked me into the bottomless pit? Rats!"

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
See, this is why all the other Knights try to beat you up, Shovel-dude.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I think Croaker's puns might actually be better than these.

Night10194 posted:

I'm guessing you mean these lyrics?

vdate fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 8, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

vdate posted:

I think Croakers puns might actually be better than these.

I'm guessing you mean these lyrics?

Hyper Camelot is art.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Night10194 posted:

I think it's intended to read more as ridiculous 80s/90s cartoon intro than ridiculous anime. See King Arthur and the Knights of Justice for the most relevant example.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, I hope you're happy Kaubocks, because thanks to this I started playing Shovel Knight again.

God, I'd forgotten how bad I am at the boss fights. :(

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

A quick tidbit about Reize, the reason the character has semi-weird dialogue and seems kind of out of place is because the character's creator actually made an extensive backstory and universe for him, and is kind of... obsessive, to say the least. Even going so far as to commission the composer for Secret of Mana to compose a 'character song' for the character.

http://seizui.wikidot.com/reize-seatlan

Complete hearsay, but apparently the backer was really difficult to work with because of how much they'd developed the character and were specific about things, and was even annoyed that he could be defeated in the game (which might be why he immediately bounces back up after being taken out instead of just laying there like everyone else).

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I think the devs knew who the only good backer character was. These two are both bad and don't mesh with the world at allllll

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Looper posted:

I think the devs knew who the only good backer character was. These two are both bad and don't mesh with the world at allllll

Baz is at least a hilarious villain that just can't cut a break here.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Baz's character arc in the DLC (brief as it is) is reason enough for him to be in this game.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Well, I hope you're happy Kaubocks, because thanks to this I started playing Shovel Knight again.

:same:

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Has there ever been a Kickstarter offering backer designed characters that haven't been snapped up by people with the most terribly unoriginal OC Don't Steal! bullshit?

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
There are only two good kickstarter things in this game. Reize and Baz are definitely not them.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

White Coke posted:

Has there ever been a Kickstarter offering backer designed characters that haven't been snapped up by people with the most terribly unoriginal OC Don't Steal! bullshit?

There's Glyde from Undertale, who's pretty cool. It's a shame he's so well hidden; you're probably more likely to get Alphys ordering a pizza than you are to find him, even if you're trying.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Double Punctuation posted:

There's Glyde from Undertale, who's pretty cool. It's a shame he's so well hidden; you're probably more likely to get Alphys ordering a pizza than you are to find him, even if you're trying.

Muffet owns, but Undertale's overall character design is a big uncohesive mess so it's a bit harder to pinpoint things that are obviously outside contributions

LordGugs
Oct 16, 2012

White Coke posted:

Isn't the Abomination in Darkest Dungeon one, he is pretty awesome.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

White Coke posted:

Shovel Knight's Director for a Day contributions aren't all bad. One of the original NPCs is actually good and fits in well with the tone of the game, and one of the backers just made a perfectly okay regular stage enemy (that we haven't seen yet in the LP) instead of a personalized Do Not Steal NPC like everyone else.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

LordGugs posted:

Isn't the Abomination in Darkest Dungeon one, he is pretty awesome.

Yeah, though the guy designing it was just 'Hey guys, some kind of transforming demon' and then let Red Hook do all the game design stuff.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Looper posted:

Muffet owns, but Undertale's overall character design is a big uncohesive mess so it's a bit harder to pinpoint things that are obviously outside contributions

Muffet wasn't a backer reward; it was a stretch goal to hire an actual professional to design a character. The backer rewards were So Sorry and Glyde.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Hold on, the npcs in the villages are different designs from different backers? I guess that make sense but...Well, I guuess that doesn't ruin this, but I kinda liked how varied they were. The weird animal people are charming and give the setting a very fairytale tone! I just assumed it was all part of a cohesive tone for worldbuilding.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

FAT BATMAN posted:

Hold on, the npcs in the villages are different designs from different backers? I guess that make sense but...Well, I guuess that doesn't ruin this, but I kinda liked how varied they were. The weird animal people are charming and give the setting a very fairytale tone! I just assumed it was all part of a cohesive tone for worldbuilding.

Nah, it's only 4 of them. There are a couple of other backer related rewards, but those were unrelated to that as well.

Also I discovered this thread and will say that Shovel Knight is a really good game. Are you able to show off some of the bonus content on the other platforms or is that gonna be a no go?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

FAT BATMAN posted:

The vast majority of NPCs in the game are not backer-designed so they can be part of a cohesive fairy-tale tone. The 2 world map minibosses Kaubocks just fought were backer designed, which is why they kind of stand out as not very cohesive with the tone. There are a total of 5 backer designs in the game: 4 NPCs/minibosses and 1 regular enemy. Boomerang anime guy is the worst one.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Baz is good

Divekick owns as well

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
This LP got me to remember the DLC exists and I'd never played it and holy ball this owns

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I read somewhere that there's a walking NPC that very rarely shows up in the armor outpost who has Shovel Knight's body but the head of a fish. I've never seen him though.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

:D

Evil Mastermind posted:

God, I'd forgotten how bad I am at the boss fights. :(
:ᗡ

Dr. Fetus posted:

Are you able to show off some of the bonus content on the other platforms or is that gonna be a no go?
I don't want to say "no" for this right away but it's unlikely. I had a friend offer me access to his XB1 account to play Shovel Knight off his account but the downside is I don't own an XB1 or PS4! So getting footage for those two versions would be difficult. I do have a couple friends with current gen consoles but I'll have to bother them to steal their equipment or go set up at their house with my stuff and... eugh, we'll see. I'd like to but it just depends how it works out. 3DS is a definite no because there's no chance I'm plunking down $300~ on a 3DS capture card just for Streetpass Arena. I mean best case scenario there I could record it with my phone.

everyone posted:

backer characters
There are five backer characters total and the two we've seen so far are arguably the worst. Reize pretty much just screams "original character do not steal" (especially if what ishikabibble is true, lol) but other than that is pretty inoffensive. I'm actually not as against Baz as I probably came across though I legitimately am biased against him-- I played a lot of Divekick and he sucked to fight!! Though as C-Euro mentioned, how he is handled in the DLC for the game completely redeems him.

Beyond that we have two more backer-created bosses coming up and a regular enemy who only shows up in the end game. The enemy is honestly probably my favorite of the bunch so I'm looking forward to seeing what you all think when we get there!

Kaubocks fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

For what it's worth, I hate Reize because he popped up in the middle of the map after I'd finished a stage without any ichor left, and I had to lose to him like six times to push him back to the point where I could get around him to the King for a refill.

I just have a hard time with his dive kick, because sometimes you can run under it and sometimes you can't and I can't tell the two apart.

(Well, that and the aforementioned ORIGINAL CHARACTER crap.)

• Locked thread