Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Dr.Caligari posted:

If not from a dealership or other offical for site, watch where you order from, the rotors are unique to the ST. I ordered from rockauto, and what they sent were for the regular fiesta. I didn't notice til I had it all taken apart and putting the new on. I then had to call around dealerships. None in my town had it, so I called Columbus dealerships (1.5+ hours away) and found a dealer that had one set, and that was only because someone ordered them and never picked them up. So yeah, like $160 and a whole day for a set of rotors.

good looking out - yea i noticed while shopping how screwy it all is, esp with the MY16 FiST apparently changing parts mid year (as well as their painted caliper mistake)...are the Motorcraft pads the same as the OE? I always thought Motorcraft was like what Goodwrench is to GM so I want to be sure I get the same as what's on there now because they are fantastic for stock pads...aside from the torque vectoring likely frying them under hard driving. My rear right was down to 3mm compared to the opposite side at around 5-6mm about 1k miles ago and im pretty sure the onramp i hit on the way to work everyday is to blame, I really wish it could be disabled or toggled on/off...it's clearly a racket

For part #s I see:

'Ford Parts OEM/Motorcraft Brake Pad Part Numbers:

Non-ST
(Front):
BRF-1493 (2015)
BRF-1443 (2011-2014)
BRF-1454-B (2011) Ford Retail Spec
BRRF-20 Rotor

(Rear Drum):
BRF-21 (2011)
BRF-984-B (2011) Ford Retail Spec
BRDF-19 Drum

ST:
(Front):
BRF-1442 Build Date after 6/24/2013
BRF-1494 Build Date after 6/12/2014 (OE High Performance)
BRF-1508 Build Date after 6/8/2015
BRRF-206 Rotor

(Rear Disc):
BRF-1444 Build Date after 6/24/2013
BRF-1507 Build Date after 6/8/2015
BRRF-207 Rotor'

My build date was 9/11/15 :911: so BRRF-207 and BRF-1507...right?

Radiohead71 posted:

Nice car. I almost bought a red 17 Sport a few weeks ago. I would get on vwvortex and also the mk7 forums. You can both get feedback on the APR Stage 1 (I've only read good things about it) and also sell your nogaros there. I would imagine 17" rims would work just fine but don't forget you have the bigger R brakes on the front with the sport package so I would check fit.

What are the deals like on GTIs nowadays? I will admit they certainly do seem tempting but they just seem so overpriced compared to the FST (and under-equipped by comparison imo) but I'm starting to get a bit worried about my resale value plummeting. I also can't believe they are killing the 2-door base version either this year (which still costs about $5k more than my ST did) :sad:

:rip:

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I have a colleague with a non-PP GTI four door. I have a FoST. There is a power difference, and tshifter feel/steering/etc are not as nice on the GTI, but it's not that noticeable in everyday driving. The GTI is just better designed. The interior is significantly nicer and the space is more efficiently used. In terms of fun, the FoST is better, but it's not enough to make up for the difference in the practical aspects that you live with day in and day out on the commute. The FoST hasn't been particularly reliable, either, so it's not like I'm winning big in that area over VW.

I would have likely gone with a PP four door except they weren't out yet in 2013 when I bought the FoST.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
DP + JB1 tunebox makes the same-ish power as a stage 1 tune and otherwise stock. Stage 2 tune and DP is much more.

I like the GTI, I just towed two motorcycles 2200mi, including a lot of elevation change. 26MPG average.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
What sort of hitch do you have? I'm still debating on getting one for the R so I can tote the bug around.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Curt class 1.

I recommend spending money on a hitch that clears the exhaust better and maybe sits tighter against the bottom of the car because the $140 Curt I have required me to bend the exhaust tips slightly outward (not noticeably so) to prevent them from rattling on the hitch during hard shifts and the car sits low enough at stock height that you need a ~6" rise ball mount to get a 17" trailer dead level. I'm running a ~5" rise ball mount now and it's more than fine but for being ~~ideal~~ it's a tiny bit short.

It handled beautifully, and if anything I was worried about killing the stock clutch lugging the car up the mountain passes in 6th in Nevada and NorCal since it's making a fair amount of power over stock. Not an issue. Nor was stop and go traffic.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 5, 2016

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

veedubfreak posted:

What sort of hitch do you have? I'm still debating on getting one for the R so I can tote the bug around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=723hKzW6w7c

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

That's the route I would go if I did it over again and didn't mind cutting the bumper.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

BlackMK4 posted:

DP + JB1 tunebox makes the same-ish power as a stage 1 tune and otherwise stock. Stage 2 tune and DP is much more.

I like the GTI, I just towed two motorcycles 2200mi, including a lot of elevation change. 26MPG average.

JB1 is really great. Makes the car feel so much faster.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Mariana Horchata posted:

What are the deals like on GTIs nowadays? I will admit they certainly do seem tempting but they just seem so overpriced compared to the FST (and under-equipped by comparison imo) but I'm starting to get a bit worried about my resale value plummeting. I also can't believe they are killing the 2-door base version either this year (which still costs about $5k more than my ST did) :sad:

I was quoted $27.5k for the DSG sport which stickers for like 30k. This was with the Sept '17 vw financing offer of 1.9%-60 months. If you went with the dealer higher % financing you get $500 lower. Not as good as their reductions for the '16s, but still a hell of a deal. The sport offered everything I wanted except for the Fender stereo upgrade. I've been a year w/o a car payment so it has been hard for me to buy a new car with loan.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Yes, motorcraft is OEM. The correct size rotors I got from the dealer were Motorcraft, as were the OEM pads. Early on they were the only one's even offering pads/rotors. I don't know if there are any correct (oem) size aftermarket rotors...I need to look into the brake pad situation too, it's about that time again and last time I did them OEM was all there was, and they were on "national back order" (it's been a while).

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 5, 2016

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The guy I work with that had a Fiesta ST, then a Focus RS, and now a Fiesta ST again apparently found a good deal on another RS that he's probably going to grab. Which means he needs to get rid of his FiST. It's either a 2016 or 17 with less than 1000 miles on it. Base model, he said he'd let me have it for around $18k which is $1000-1500 less than he paid not including sales tax. I still have my Golf but that isn't an issue since I could probably just get another loan on top of it, or I could pay off the $4000 or so I still owe on it and then I wouldn't have a car payment(on that car) at all once it gets bought back. Seems like a pretty good deal, what do you guys think?

fknlo fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 8, 2016

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

fknlo posted:

The guy I work with that had a Fiesta ST, then a Focus RS, and now a Fiesta ST again apparently found a good deal on another RS that he's probably going to grab. Which means he needs to get rid of his FiST. It's either a 2016 or 17 with less than 1000 miles on it. Base model, he said he'd let me have it for around $18k which is $1000-1500 less than he paid not including sales tax. I still have my Golf but that isn't an issue since I could probably just get another loan on top of it, or I could pay off the $4000 or so I still owe on it and then I wouldn't have a car payment(on that car) at all once it gets bought back. Seems like a pretty good deal, what do you guys think?

He sounds really dumb and really bad with money so I bet you could talk him down even more. Also don't carry $4k in debt from one car to another. That's also pretty financially dumb.

$1500 less than he paid for a new car is not enough money off for a used car. It's likely depreciated more than that already.

Edit: did I just reply to a post copied and pasted from a car forum? The more I think about the situation the more dumb the whole thing sounds.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 8, 2016

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

GutBomb posted:

He sounds really dumb and really bad with money so I bet you could talk him down even more. Also don't carry $4k in debt from one car to another. That's also pretty financially dumb.

$1500 less than he paid for a new car is not enough money off for a used car. It's likely depreciated more than that already.

Edit: did I just reply to a post copied and pasted from a car forum? The more I think about the situation the more dumb the whole thing sounds.

No, I owe $4k total on the other car that will be getting bought back by VW and needs a replacement anyway. This isn't me going upside down buying another car, it would be me paying off what I owe so there's less hassle getting a loan for the next car and then at anything below $20k would be getting paid off as soon as my Golf gets bought back. No negative equity between purchases.

I doubt I'd be able to talk him down any more than that since I'm pretty sure the dealer the RS is at offered him something similar, he just doesn't want to deal with driving the Fiesta to North Carolina to trade it in. It's really as simple as that.

e: and looking at autotrader within 500 miles of me there are quite a few cars with 10k+ miles listed in the $17-20k price range. The used one I drove a couple months back was listed at $20k and it had 20k miles.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 8, 2016

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I'd see if he'd take $16k, $18k is pretty much you paying the transaction fees if you bug a dealer enough off.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

fknlo posted:

No, I owe $4k total on the other car that will be getting bought back by VW and needs a replacement anyway. This isn't me going upside down buying another car, it would be me paying off what I owe so there's less hassle getting a loan for the next car and then at anything below $20k would be getting paid off as soon as my Golf gets bought back. No negative equity between purchases.

I doubt I'd be able to talk him down any more than that since I'm pretty sure the dealer the RS is at offered him something similar, he just doesn't want to deal with driving the Fiesta to North Carolina to trade it in. It's really as simple as that.

e: and looking at autotrader within 500 miles of me there are quite a few cars with 10k+ miles listed in the $17-20k price range. The used one I drove a couple months back was listed at $20k and it had 20k miles.

I'll sell you mine for $18K. It's a 2015 with about 12K miles on it, the "loaded" factory option (navigation, Recaro seats, sunroof) and has a Mountune intake and silicon low-pressure kit, Cobb everything else to make a "stage 2" kit including the Accessport. Also has received upgraded brake pads up front; Hawk DTC-30s. The front rotors are Stoptech sport slotted cryo-treated rotors with about 1K miles, and the rear are Centric blanks with normal metal/organic pads with about 3K on them. Also has an extended shifter and titanium milled knob (because it's a long reach with the stock shifter and was hurting my shoulder).

Pay no attention to all the problems I've had with it detailed in this thread.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 8, 2016

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I've found a minor annoyance with my GTI. The windshield wipers are kinda tucked down below the hood so it makes it a pain to clean the glass. You can't lift them up or they hit the hood. And if you put them in service mode then when you go to bring them back down they wipe all the way down and you've gotta go back and clean up after them.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Windshield wipers having a "service mode" is hilarious to me.

Long_Tine_Spork
May 21, 2009

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I've found a minor annoyance with my GTI. The windshield wipers are kinda tucked down below the hood so it makes it a pain to clean the glass. You can't lift them up or they hit the hood. And if you put them in service mode then when you go to bring them back down they wipe all the way down and you've gotta go back and clean up after them.

If I remember correctly (don't have my GTI anymore) you can open the hood and lift up the wipers to change/clean them.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

It's a VW, not a Bentley. Lighten up a little.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Probably a good chance to wipe off the blades themselves.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

My wife's old Jetta was the same and it was really annoying, especially in the winter time where I like to separate the wipers from the windshield when parked while it's snowing/raining. Not so much a factor where you are, I guess.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
It's to keep them from chattering at blistering Autobahn speeds.

I'm still able to lift them enough to clean the windshield properly when I was the car though.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Pryor on Fire posted:

It's a VW, not a Bentley. Lighten up a little.

Well he did say it was just a minor annoyance. I dunno, considering every other loving manufacturer on the planet has managed to figure out how to make parking wipers that don't hit the hood when you try to change them, he's got a legitimate complaint. How's that VAG cock taste?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I kind of want to put a catback on my FoST, but I also like the weird-looking stock hex exhaust tip on there right now...

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Terrible Robot posted:

Well he did say it was just a minor annoyance. I dunno, considering every other loving manufacturer on the planet has managed to figure out how to make parking wipers that don't hit the hood when you try to change them, he's got a legitimate complaint. How's that VAG cock taste?

My previous 3 cars have all done this. It's a deliberate design choice. Your guess is as good as mine as to why. I'm just happy the squirters aren't on the top of the hood.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

I kind of want to put a catback on my FoST, but I also like the weird-looking stock hex exhaust tip on there right now...

Get a muffler shop to cut and reweld the tips back on?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Terrible Robot posted:

I have no idea? What on earth is going on?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Christobevii3 posted:

Get a muffler shop to cut and reweld the tips back on?

Hadn't considered that- have to keep that one in my back pocket. Cleaned all the exhaust soot off of the tips today and they're lookin' good again.

Now to clean the brake dust off the rims... again. I'm plasti-dipping these drat things a darker gray when I take them off for the winter...

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Went and purchased a set of the stock 18" Focus ST snowflakes off a local guy today which I plan to mount some winter tires on. Ended up getting him down to $300 for the set, including the factory TPMS sensors, pretty pleased with that. I know I posted a huge sperglord post about winter tires earlier in the thread but I'm pretty much ignoring all of that now, plan is to get some Continental Wintercontact Si's in either 225/45/18 or 235/45/18 since they are getting a lot of great reviews online and are priced great.

Also installed my Garageline Hood Strut kit today as well. Only took about half an hour and now I no longer need to use the silly hood prop rod, best $62 I've spent in a while.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Now to clean the brake dust off the rims... again. I'm plasti-dipping these drat things a darker gray when I take them off for the winter...

Would plasti-dip be any better in regards to brake dust cleanup? Obviously if you go with a darker color you'll see it less, but how does that translate when it comes to cleaning it off?

100% Dundee fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Oct 10, 2016

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

veedubfreak posted:

I'm just happy the squirters aren't on the top of the hood.
That is actually pretty nice.

And yeah, it's definitely not a big deal. Considering after a few months that's the biggest gripe I've found with the car I have to say I am very very happy with it overall.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

100% Dundee posted:

Would plasti-dip be any better in regards to brake dust cleanup? Obviously if you go with a darker color you'll see it less, but how does that translate when it comes to cleaning it off?

I don't think so. Yeah it would be strictly for allowing me to be lazier about brake dust cleanup.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I really like my Conti Wintercontact SI.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
How are FoST's interior compared to a GTI? Been looking at hot hatches and completely neglected Ford

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Maksimus54 posted:

How are FoST's interior compared to a GTI? Been looking at hot hatches and completely neglected Ford

I'd suggest going and checking one out on a dealer lot to get your own opinion of course, but in my opinion I like the FoST a lot more interior wise. Seats in my ST3 are infinitely better than the GTI I test drove, materials all over are pretty nice but so were the GTIs materials in general. The infotainment system in the FoST is also much nicer in my opinion, but that might vary depending on how much you like technology and gizmos in your cars.

How it will hold up compared to the GTI has me slightly concerned though, lot of people on the forums complain about little squeaks and stuff popping up.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
For the FoST: Seats good (ST3), wheel good (on newer ones, mine is a '13 and is just OK), shifter OK, everything else is cheap garbage. Go check it out. It doesn't bother me that much but I'm not a huge My Soft Touch Materials guy in a car like this.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
General consensus is that the GTI interior is nicer and from pictures I'd tend to agree. Not like the FoST's is bad or anything but other than the Recaro seats, some different gauge cluster colors, a nicer wheel, and some additional gauges up on the dash (boost, oil temp and pressure) it's the interior from the regular Focus, an economy car.

I personally have not noticed any weird squeaks in a 2014 ST2 with 25,000 miles on it.

Interior quality wasn't that high on my list of priorities but coming from a base '07 Mitsubishi Eclipse I was dazzled by the wonderment of a modern not-totally-cheap-garbo interior so maybe I'm not the best judge.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Where do Minis fit in between the Focus ST and the GTI?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
VW's MIB 2 (NOT the MIB 1) is incredibly not rear end and Apple CarPlay owns. It also has Android Auto but I don't have that kind of phone. I find the seats very comfortable and nicely bolstered, and they actually hold their own against the M Sport Seats in the Z4M I had. I'm a big guy and they don't squeeze me too much either.

The two major points I'd give to the GTI vs the FoST I drove are the interior in the GTI looks really nice and is a bit understated, while the FoST interior looks like something aimed at a younger audience and more trendy looking. In 10 years, the GTI's will probably hold up better in the aesthetic department. Second point, the materials are unquestionably better in the GTI. I also liked the shifter/clutch in the GTI more, but they both felt pretty numb. Point is moot if you go DSG in the GTI though.

All in all, drive them both and pick the one you like more. Everything listed above is personal preference.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Is the Mini still doing that weird "giant speedometer in the middle console" design?

Otherwise I think they're pretty nice if you can deal with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I owned a 2002 Mini-S back in the day. The GTI feels like a grown up version of it, including quality wise.