Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

My 2 year old is getting big enough to tag along on small hikes so I've started taking him on 1-3 mile loops. Got him his own small pack so he can carry a couple pounds of stuff which he's proud as hell of too :3:. I live near a few square miles of greenbelt with dozens of miles of small unmarked trails and dozens of trailheads in and out. It's impossible to get lost since it's bounded on all sides by roads and residential areas, which means every trip out is always something different. I found a small cascade waterfall a couple days ago so I went back with my kid today. We cooked some rice and beans on a large rock partway up the cascade, ate lunch there, and had a pretty rad time (even though I had to carry him back up the escarpment after he said he was tired). The fall colors were really vibrant and in some spots the ambient light took on a nice red hue. It's not much, but day trips are all I can do until I get winter gear. Herding a babby changes the dynamic since he often stops to look around or stomp on mushrooms which forces me to slow down.

re snakechat - the most I ever came across was a black coachwhip a yard and change long. The sucker was stretched straight out in the middle of a trail pretending to be a piece of deadfall until I got a couple feet away and saw scales. Considering the volume of rattlesnakes that lived in the area I consider myself lucky to have never met one :v:

e :widowsnypa:

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I'll probably see more snakes bird hunting with my dog than I ever will hiking (which tend to be harmless garder snakes). The sad part is that he'll likely be the one to be bitten and snakes while bird hunting tend to be rattlesnakes.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Aphex- posted:

Don't worry I'll be taking a poo poo load of photos that's for sure! I'm taking a 3 season sleeping bag for the teahouses. I'm flying out on Tuesday and flying back on 4th November so it's lots of time to do the trek at my own pace. Going to be budgeting for around 2500 Nepalese rupees a day (~£20) which will most likely be more than enough.

I'm going with two friends and we're trekking independently, not part of any group. I've been wanting to go for over a year now so it's a little surreal to actually be leaving for it so soon.

That is plenty of money! You'll be fine. Eat lots of snickers, and don't forget to always ask the tea houses that if you eat dinner and breakfast there can you have the room for free. They always say yes and you'll save quite a bit.

Another tip is to stay at the last teahouse before the climb over the pass. You'll get to the one just before you make the climb, but you can go up the mountain a bit further and stay at the last one. It's worth it to push on and stay there, it makes the day over the pass just a little bit easier. Have fun!

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
I was out in the Cairngorms last weekend and had to call my collie off an adder she was sniffing. Fortunately it turned out to be dead but until the mid-autumn I tend to keep her on the lead until we get above about 2000 feet or so because, although an adder won't usually kill an adult human, they are more than capable of taking out a dog.

The walk itself was not exactly my favourite: I love the Cairngorms and have climbed most peaks in the range one or more times, but I'd intended to do An Sgarsoch and Carn an Fhidhleir (the latter means the rocky hill of the fiddler (as in violins) but is pronounced "Carn an Yeeler" in one of those traps for unwary English speakers Gaelic is full of). It's a 27 mile hike with the two mountains at the far end and as I reached the furthest point it became apparent that I was going to be returning in pitch black, and that's a pain for navigation on the plateau even with a headlamp, so I decided to just do An Sgarsoch. Bad idea: the north side of the hill is a steep, pathless, boggy mess of peat-hags and deep heather and I was shattered inside half an hour, with 13 miles still between me and home. Even my collie was exhausted by the end, and she can do twice what I do in a day.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Does anyone have recommendations on a nice solid hiking shoe that could double for mountain biking? I wear minimalist shoes for hiking (vibram 5f at the moment), but winter is coming and I figure I need something more sturdy/warm and right now my only other shoe is a loafer which I clearly can't use for anything.

Worst case I'll wear the vibrams for mountain biking but I have a feeling I will regret this decision bitterly.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Maybe something with a toe guard to help against possible pedal strike? La Sportiva Raptor seemed like a solid trail runner with plenty of protection. A little narrow for my feet though

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

George H.W. oval office posted:

Maybe something with a toe guard to help against possible pedal strike?

Hmm, an approach shoe maybe?

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

I'm going on the Skyline to the Sea Trail this weekend and it also happens to be the first time in like 50,000 years it will rain in California so this should be a fun experience. Had to book some two months ago so can't even reschedule, guess I'll just have to have a good time while I get rained on!

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

I'm going on the Skyline to the Sea Trail this weekend and it also happens to be the first time in like 50,000 years it will rain in California so this should be a fun experience. Had to book some two months ago so can't even reschedule, guess I'll just have to have a good time while I get rained on!

Have fun! How many days are you planning on? What camps are you staying in?

Be careful, the trail gets slippery when it's wet. Make sure to lick a banana slug while you're out there and take lots of photos. Those mountains are gorgeous!

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Thanks for shoe advice. Following that thread led me to this as an option: KEEN Men's Targhee II Mid WP Hiking Boot -> https://www.amazon.com/KEEN-Mens-Targhee-II-Hiking/dp/B000HZYWDY

Couple complaints about build quality, but otherwise seems fine? Talk me out of it if I'm making a mistake.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I'm not so sure on boots for mountain biking.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Oh, I figured it being a mid was low enough, it doesn't appear to be much bigger than a hi-top. Still a bad idea?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Kaedric posted:

Thanks for shoe advice. Following that thread led me to this as an option: KEEN Men's Targhee II Mid WP Hiking Boot -> https://www.amazon.com/KEEN-Mens-Targhee-II-Hiking/dp/B000HZYWDY

Couple complaints about build quality, but otherwise seems fine? Talk me out of it if I'm making a mistake.

George H.W. oval office posted:

I'm not so sure on boots for mountain biking.

Piggybacking off these posts, how about those shoes if I have no plans for mountain biking? They look nice and the price isn't too bad. I'm mostly looking to be adventuring around the woods, possibly with some running around (ie I want fairly light shoes, but also high enough to have enough ankle support that it'll help me not twist my ankle).

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I've been wanting to do this one for a long time, after doing Lost Coast which was a blast. It looks like a great example of coastal rainforest, and I always find those coastal mountains beautiful.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop

Magres posted:

Piggybacking off these posts, how about those shoes if I have no plans for mountain biking? They look nice and the price isn't too bad. I'm mostly looking to be adventuring around the woods, possibly with some running around (ie I want fairly light shoes, but also high enough to have enough ankle support that it'll help me not twist my ankle).

I bought a similar pair of boots - Keen Logans, Mid - about 6 months ago and have no major complaints. They're durable and comfortable, but they can get hot, and are too bulky for running around much. I now mainly use them for more difficult excursions.
Hiking shoes would probably suit your needs better. I have finicky ankles, but for most hikes wear a pair of Merrell hiking shoes that I can hop around in with full confidence.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Tigren posted:

Have fun! How many days are you planning on? What camps are you staying in?

Be careful, the trail gets slippery when it's wet. Make sure to lick a banana slug while you're out there and take lots of photos. Those mountains are gorgeous!

We're set to finish in three days, stopping at Waterman Gap and Jay Camp (at Big Basin HQ), gotta be back in time for work on Monday :sigh:. It comes out to be around ten miles a day, with four miles optional the last day if we don't want to see more waterfalls, but with the rain we're going to get I'm hoping they'll be flowing. I'm taking some relatively inexperienced friends with me so we're not doing anything backbreaking, and I'm hoping walking through the weather doesn't turn them off to camping and backpacking too much!

I'll definitely watch my footing, I know the exposed stone near Castle Rock gets real slick when it's wet.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I've been wanting to do this one for a long time, after doing Lost Coast which was a blast. It looks like a great example of coastal rainforest, and I always find those coastal mountains beautiful.

Your post made me excited again after being mopey about the rain, thanks! I've gone once before during the summer and it is definitely a really beautiful trail - the only downside is the mundane portions end up looking so much worse when they're competing with the redwood glens and sandstone formations and so on.

There is a stretch that parallels highway 9 littered with car wrecks which is kind of neat since my dad used to talk about racing cars up there when he was a kid and I'm sure he has at least one buried in the leaves and logs. :3:

Stanley Goodspeed fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Oct 12, 2016

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Hey, So am I. Hoping the rain doesn't happen but going either way. Sadly me and my friends couldn't get 3 days clear for it so we're just doing Castle Rock to Big Basin HQ.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Kaedric posted:

Oh, I figured it being a mid was low enough, it doesn't appear to be much bigger than a hi-top. Still a bad idea?
Mid tops are fine for mountain biking, its the sole that would be the major issue. Boots are going to have a thicker sole than shoes, its going to life you farther away from the pedals pivot point and feel very awkward. You also want a thinner sole so you get more feel and feedback from the bike. The tread and rubber hardness is also likely not ideal. The best bicycle pedal is going to have a sole similar to the classic vans waffle, lots of little nooks and crannies for the pedals pins to grab into. A boot (and most hiking shoes) are going to have a large blocky tread with lots of empty space and not many places for the pins to catch. The rubber on a boot also tends to be much firmer than other shoes, a soft rubber is going to have better grip on the pedals.

Trying to find one shoe that does both is asking a lot, and you are going to have to make compromises either way. A light trail runner, or a basic sneaker is probably your best bet, but you can't go too thin on the sole either. Too thin, and your foot lacks support so your heel is going to sag off the back of the pedal. You could also try looking at FiveTen shoes, most people swear by them for MTB (I personally hate them) and they would probably be fine to hike in. The rubber on FiveTens is going to very soft though and would probably wear out very fast while hiking. The tread is also really shallow which is not going to give you much grip on loose gravel and such. You are really asking for 2 very different things from your shoe.

Riding in 5 fingers is also miserable. The pedal grip sucks, the sole is too thin, and the bottom is rounded instead of flat.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Took my wife to Double Peak Trail in San Marcos, CA yesterday to change up our usual hiking day. She's from Toronto so all the outdoors stuff is very new to her and I hope to ease her into backpacking eventually.

View of the Batiquitos Lagoon and Pacific Ocean.

Looking east towards the Escondido

Parts of San Marcos

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

The Aardvark posted:

Took my wife to Double Peak Trail in San Marcos, CA yesterday to change up our usual hiking day. She's from Toronto so all the outdoors stuff is very new to her and I hope to ease her into backpacking eventually.

View of the Batiquitos Lagoon and Pacific Ocean.

Looking east towards the Escondido

Parts of San Marcos

Very cool. I grew up in the Murrieta/Temecula area but didn't do much hiking til I moved to LA. Spent a lot of time between there, Escondido, San Marcos, Carlsbad, northern SD, etc. growing up.

Any other hikes you can recommend for the next time I'm down visiting family?

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Forecast gets worse everytime I look at it... :ohdear:

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

There is a stretch that parallels highway 9 littered with car wrecks which is kind of neat since my dad used to talk about racing cars up there when he was a kid and I'm sure he has at least one buried in the leaves and logs. :3:
Might be this one? :3:

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Forecast gets worse everytime I look at it... :ohdear:

I know, NOAA has a heavy wind and rain advisory out. Hoping to complete our trip still, gonna play it by ear on Saturday.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

One of our group did atmospheric science in school and I guess has friends that are more directly involved with forecasting and just sent an email out about the winds, apparently 40 mph gusts and potentially worse in the mountains. Said friend is still coming on this stupid trip so I don't think it's the end of the world but still, don't get blown off a cliff by Castle Rock!

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Instead of taking the weekend off to rest after a month of cabin building, and all my gear falling into nothing, we ended up hitting the trailhead at 5pm Saturday. Fought our way through a wall of snow-bent alders for two hours, finally making our destination (an ancient semi-abandoned cabin inhabited by a packrat the size of a football) around 10:30pm before we froze to death. Wiser men would have turned around and headed to some hot springs after meeting a group of four on the trail who said: ""Yeah, there's an impassable wall of alders covered in snow at 45 minutes ahead and some big tracks, the four of us decided to turn back.", but the three of us were already grossly under prepared anyways. :black101:

What I thought would be a shoulder season peak-bag mission turned into pretty much a poorly-equipped winter ascent attempt on Arrowhead Mountain the next day, which we aborted due to 4 feet of snow and losing daylight fast. Got some sick shots though:

And yours truly, check the cloud in the background:

This weekend I am actually resting, before my body hospitalizes me in desperation.

Rime fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 15, 2016

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Looks great. Really dig the cabin, by the way. Very jealous.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

That kicks rear end, great job!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Beautiful stuff. Winter hiking and camping always makes me nervous...

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Random gear observations: +3C is too cold for trail runners. My z-lite sol pad is also too cold. I had to put on more clothes in the middle of the night, which luckily helped enough. Time to get that xtherm finally..

Gossamer gear Mariposa feels a lot better with proper sizing - XL was definitely too tall for me altough I'm 201cm long. You have everything you need instantly accessible, no time wasted digging poo poo from your bag. The long side pocket takes a Tarptent Scarp 2 without any problems. The sitlight pad is nice, in fact so nice my friend used it all the time since he forgot to bring his own. Diy stuffsacks worked well.

Self-tensioning guylines seem to work too. No rainfly sag this time around.

Now I just need to find time to drive 600-1200km to get to hiking trails with some good views.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Ihmemies posted:

Random gear observations: +3C is too cold for trail runners

I do sort of medium weight trail runners and super thin socks down to about +5F (-15C), just run faster you'll be fine.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Me and the guy in all those snow pictures were wearing trail runners. :black101:

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

3 days here at Zion, then on to Bryce, Capitol Reef and Canyonlands/Arches. Apparently the weather is supposed to get colder pretty quickly this week, but we tested our preparedness at Great Basin last night and were fine down to about 30 F or so. I'm sitting by a campfire, enjoying approximately a zillion stars, and listening to crickets. Life's pretty good.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Rime posted:

Me and the guy in all those snow pictures were wearing trail runners. :black101:

my feet hurt

sk8bored
May 23, 2007

Freaquency posted:

3 days here at Zion, then on to Bryce, Capitol Reef and Canyonlands/Arches. Apparently the weather is supposed to get colder pretty quickly this week, but we tested our preparedness at Great Basin last night and were fine down to about 30 F or so. I'm sitting by a campfire, enjoying approximately a zillion stars, and listening to crickets. Life's pretty good.

Don't miss Goblin valley on your way to Capitol reef.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Interesting story on Zion -- Zion National Park considers limiting visitors due to increased land erosion, ‘overwhelmed’ facilities

quote:

With an anticipated record of 4 million visitors coming to the park this year — which would be up from 3.66 million in 2015 — officials are grasping for solutions to "overwhelmed" facilities, eroding soil and threatened cultural resources, according to a news release. In an effort to balance visitor use with measures to prevent irreparable impact on the land, park managers created the strategies list as a response to strained daily operations and overcrowding.

The park already has de facto limits on people comin in because of the limited parking but this would still be a major symbolic step. The in-demand backcountry areas are already rationed to some extent -- will users tolerate quotas limiting use of the developed park areas?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I was in Zion 4 or 5 years ago and it was really disappointingly overcrowded. Angels Landing doesn't look like Half Dome yet, but it's probably not too far off.
It's a really tough situation and I don't know if there's any real fix for it, and I say that as a full time trailbuilder. For all the increased use and apparent love for the outdoors, the average person still has remarkably little respect for trails and parks, they're primarily concerned with their own experience.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

You guys will know: I'm planning on thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail next year, the one thing I'm not sure about are trekking poles. I've never used them before, they look lame as all hell but some people swear by them. The common arguments I've read is that they save your knees especially when going downhill and help your arms get a work out, but also take more energy to use as you're using your whole body.

So I was just curious if people here would recommend them for the AT.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Get a cheap pair (the Cascade Mountain Trekking Poles, also known as the "Costco Poles" are actually very well reviewed for the price) and try them out for a few hikes. The first dozen miles you will be a big dummy and look like one and wonder what you're doing, but once you get the hang of them you'll know pretty quickly whether you like them or not.

I personally use them when the trail is wet or slippery, if there's changes in elevation, especially steep downhills, or if I'm going anywhere with snakes and narrow / overgrown trails as they let me poke things I'm scared of from far away. Anyway, would recommend, would definitely try things out a little bit first though.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, poles are key on mucky, muddy, slippery hikes. They allow you to go full speed even if your feet are slipping all over the place, like on wet roots etc. Going down steep hills they are nice too, allowing you to go quickly and save your knees by 10-15% according to the study I looked at when i first debated buying poles.

They are actually very nice going up steep steep climbs as well, like bushwacking up a mountain. You can plant a pole above yourself and pull yourself up.

All that being said they are kind of situational, you won't be using them all the time, especially on the Appalachian Trail. You can get really light ones cheap though and carry them or hang them from your pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Interesting story on Zion -- Zion National Park considers limiting visitors due to increased land erosion, ‘overwhelmed’ facilities

The park already has de facto limits on people comin in because of the limited parking but this would still be a major symbolic step. The in-demand backcountry areas are already rationed to some extent -- will users tolerate quotas limiting use of the developed park areas?

Its about time..

the last time we went there to do some rock climbing, 10 years ago, it was a bit to crowded. If we truly want to preserve the nature of these places I would expect more lottery / quotas to be enacted everywhere.