Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Total Meatlove posted:

The worst kind of nerds will write a dissertation on how arrows in westworld work between episodes so people in this thread don't need too.

To be fair i prefer arrow chat to bisexual chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

theflyingexecutive posted:

Would it have been annoying to have a lispy gay guy talking about clothes and hair and how the dirt in Westworld would ruin his cute new boots? Same principle.

Why? i literally know 3 people exactly like that.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

How do y'all think Dolores found the buried pistol? Accessing a memory, or being led by someone at Delos? If the latter, who?

Also, the pistol must be real (works on humans) or else it wouldn't be a big deal at all, so that should be interesting.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
People just keep shallowly burying things around the Abernathy farm.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

The next robot rebellion kicked off by the discovery of an open condom wrapper

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rocksicles posted:

Why? i literally know 3 people exactly like that.

As a gay person who knows several guys like that, it wouldn't bother me either. Granted if it happened a decade ago or so, maybe it would, but there have been gay people of all types on television these days so when those stereotypical (those stereotypes exist for a reason, even if not every gay man lives up to them) versions appear it doesn't really rub me the wrong way any more.

I can concede however that it's a different situation for bisexual characters in television. Though I don't agree the show was trying to make some sort of statement that bi = evil, I can understand some sensitivity around the subject and portrayal.

HBO in general, however, has been great in terms of gay representation in their shows and have been for some time. Yes the sex is used to titilate/etc, but then so is all the straight sex in their shows.

Maybe it's just me and I'm a bad homo for not being offended, but I don't see the issue.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

So far it's been pretty easy to tell the difference between guests and hosts. The hosts are the ones acting like they are in a western, talking all old-timey and approaching people to get them huntin' bandits and looking for treasure. The guests are the people randomly blowing suckers away and talking like tourists. Unless a guest is sticking knives into people without any kind of interaction beforehand I think you'd figure it out pretty fast, it doesn't appear that any of the guests are actually roleplaying in any way.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

WESTWORLD Season 1 Reality of A.I. FEATURETTE

:nms: for freaky kid robot

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

El Jeffe posted:

How do y'all think Dolores found the buried pistol? Accessing a memory, or being led by someone at Delos? If the latter, who?

Also, the pistol must be real (works on humans) or else it wouldn't be a big deal at all, so that should be interesting.

She was instructed to wake up and walk out there by a voice with electric reverb on it. Anthony Hopkins has the same reverb on his voice for a single line later when he was talking about Occam and sabotage with Bernard, although he might just have been phlegmy when doing the audio. Thandie Newton also receives instructions while awake, but from a different voice.

They're all networked, right? So there could be some kind of group consciousness going on, or an emerging one somewhere that can mess with other robots over the network.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I'll say I'm not capital O Offended, just annoyed to see it playing out again. HBO has a great track record for gsm portrayal and representation, which sets my expectations higher is all.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

El Jeffe posted:

Didn't we hear Jeffrey Wright's voice at the beginning of the episode guiding her to the spot?

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Jack Gladney posted:

She was instructed to wake up and walk out there by a voice with electric reverb on it. Anthony Hopkins has the same reverb on his voice for a single line later when he was talking about Occam and sabotage with Bernard, although he might just have been phlegmy when doing the audio. Thandie Newton also receives instructions while awake, but from a different voice.

They're all networked, right? So there could be some kind of group consciousness going on, or an emerging one somewhere that can mess with other robots over the network.

After rewatching that scene, it looks like it's both: the voice tells her to wake up and when she walks out it says "Do you remember?". So this person (who I'm guessing is Ford) led her there then pushes her toward accessing the memory of the gun.

MrMojok posted:

Didn't we hear Jeffrey Wright's voice at the beginning of the episode guiding her to the spot?

The voice is modulated or something. It's supposed to be ambiguous.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

theflyingexecutive posted:

I'll say I'm not capital O Offended, just annoyed to see it playing out again. HBO has a great track record for gsm portrayal and representation, which sets my expectations higher is all.

Totally understandable. Hopefully the character will seem less one note when we've spent more than an episode with him.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsaLDnl_fEs

Hopefully some of you will find this topical like i did

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really like the theme that plays when Dr. Ford puts down Sizemores dlc. Anyone know how is called or where i can find it??.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Regarding newbie white hat: I dont think he will be revealed to be actually an rear end in a top hat. Thats not necesssarly how rrepressed people behave in the real world. Some folks double down on being good when faced with temptation. White hats problem is not that he is repressed but that he is a doormat. He lets his"friend" drag him along and dictate the pace. He does not speak up at work about his own ideas. His could be a journey where he discovers not that he was pedophile rapist murderer, but instead he discovers the courage to be good in a cynical world and to let people laugh at him for being"naive" and "goody two shoes". Later it will be revealed that back in the real world he is still a coward that gets strung along and pushed to ignore his ethics etc. He wants to feel like the good person he knows he really is, that he can be. The episode ends with him booking a new trip to Westworld.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

That'd be great, but it's probably not going to happen.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
Not sure if anyone has seen this yet - just got it in my e-mail from the Westworld newsletter inside a "hidden" staff video:

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Caufman posted:

He seems to understand that the clues are hidden behind points of trauma and suffering. Scalping someone alive, shooting a child's family in front of her, probably even assaulting Dolores was done to get another clue.

I wonder if Harris is just taking a short cut and literally hacking his way to find the clues. Otherwise it seems really hosed up if the clues are all hidden behind murdering or torturing all the hosts.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

So Ed Harris is a robot, right? One that's either figured out how to work the system, or been allowed to work the system as part of the clandestine projects running throughout the park.

I'm still convinced he is but I think we're in the minority.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
I don't know if this has come up, but I was playing with the chatbot and got this

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Mad Wack posted:

Not sure if anyone has seen this yet - just got it in my e-mail from the Westworld newsletter inside a "hidden" staff video:

I really want to know what's in the archives now. Cold storage makes sense, you'd stick the hosts you're not currently using somewhere but why is the archives section so big? Is it just full of costumes or what?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Karnegal posted:

I don't know if this has come up, but I was playing with the chatbot and got this

dont mess around with that poo poo man drat

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

This exploration of the show's myth reminds me of LOST. And I like it.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

The closest Fox show thematically is (was) probably Almost Human, but they're so far apart quality wise it's not even funny.

Almost Human was great though, it was proto-Dredd and I loved every episode. Karl Urban needs to get ironman-ed and have a hit franchise.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Lampsacus posted:

Yea, the exciting early parts too! The good parts!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

seaborgium posted:

I really want to know what's in the archives now. Cold storage makes sense, you'd stick the hosts you're not currently using somewhere but why is the archives section so big? Is it just full of costumes or what?

Obviously it's all the data they have recorded from the guests stays :tinfoil:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Karnegal posted:

Enter it in there three times in a row! I wasn't quick enought to capture a screenshot but it really freaked out.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
So you can't shoot another guest and the hosts can't shoot a guest but what about all the knives and tomahawks and stuff that are around? Like when the dude knifed the old guy in the hand, what if he was wrong and it was another guest and not the host he thought it was?

Lampsacus posted:

:agreed: :lost:

Also: I think it's interesting that they're kind of doing a commentary on how we utilize our entertainment and what it says about us that we create these characters and stories to live out ultra violent fantasies without ever thinking about the characters we created and what it means for their own existence.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Here's a screenshot of the response to the third entry:

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

Attention! Something tremendous has happened!
All this time, Delos was just teaching the terminator the most efficient way to kill.

He'll be back... To bring those violent ends.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lampsacus posted:

what if the flies are like the real creators and everybody else is a robot drifting on a turtle in outer space????????????????

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

MrMojok posted:

Here's a screenshot of the response to the third entry:

that looks like a portion of a URL

in fact it looks like the kind of URL a youtube video produces

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Luvcow posted:

So you can't shoot another guest and the hosts can't shoot a guest but what about all the knives and tomahawks and stuff that are around? Like when the dude knifed the old guy in the hand, what if he was wrong and it was another guest and not the host he thought it was?

:agreed: :lost:

Also: I think it's interesting that they're kind of doing a commentary on how we utilize our entertainment and what it says about us that we create these characters and stories to live out ultra violent fantasies without ever thinking about the characters we created and what it means for their own existence.

The Lost game that happened after the second season did this literally (almost) by having a character bust into the Lost panel at comic con and accuse the creators of having blood on their hands and engineering the suffering of others for entertainment.

Also it's a really old idea. An early critic of Daniel Defoe's wrote an attack on Robinson Crusoe that had Crusoe and Friday beat Defoe to death for stranding them on an island for so long with no way out, and Friday basically complained about being a racist stereotype instead of a full character. The sequel to Don Quixote does something similar but less dire.

It seems inevitable that this show will turn critical attention to its audience. Is it true that the only boobs or rear end so far have been in the creepily unsexy maintenance bay? That seems like a critical inversion of the usual HBO boob formula.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Phi230 posted:

"=FLY" seems relevant to the flies mentioned twice in the show and in the Delos TOS. Some of the other gibberish codes have thematic words in them too. I don't think they're going full ARG yet.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Phi230 posted:

It's base64 encoded. Someone decrypt it.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Jack Gladney posted:

Also it's a really old idea. An early critic of Daniel Defoe's wrote an attack on Robinson Crusoe that had Crusoe and Friday beat Defoe to death for stranding them on an island for so long with no way out, and Friday basically complained about being a racist stereotype instead of a full character. The sequel to Don Quixote does something similar but less dire.

This sounds awesome and i'm going to go seek it out, thank you.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Enderzero posted:

It's base64 encoded. Someone decrypt it.

Fairly certain it's not base64, or otherwise it's probably gibberish.

Here's the copyable text if anyone cares to mess with it further:

TheseViOlNnTdelightshaveViOlNnTendsTirN82+rGXYRLzoOG1Z3yZ9gINOf/F0AG5+lqwPOWeOYeh0GWR3VduOuMR9SVefEehcuCTpRldg=FLY

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

"Arnold will come for you" was the last line, I just wasn't quick enough to capture it all of it. Immediately after that, the screen glitches out.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Some minor content added to the westworld website.

Description for Las Mudas:

LAS MUDAS
This rustic little border town has amazing mezcal and even better food—way of life here hasn’t changed much since the day it was settled. Feel free to make yourself at home and chat in the town square, charm the barkeep into divulging family secrets, or just relax and take a break from the heat. Practically everyone in this town is related and they are very protective of one another, so tread lightly. Don’t let the dusty patina fool you, this town proudly carries the scars of showdowns past.

^That was the pueblo the man in black visited episode 2. I guess they're going to keep filling out the online map as places appear in episodes, which is pretty fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

MrMojok posted:

"Arnold will come for you" was the last line, I just wasn't quick enough to capture it all of it. Immediately after that, the screen glitches out.
Excuse my inattention but has Arnold been named as a character on the show yet?

• Locked thread