Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Rhyno posted:

It's not like I want him dead. I just want him to go away and not be capable of coming back.

Like if he were made immortal somehow, and then sealed in a barrel dropped in the Marianas Trench.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Spatula City posted:

Like if he were made immortal somehow, and then sealed in a barrel dropped in the Marianas Trench.

Perfectly acceptable to me.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I watched the third season of Legends of Chamberlain Heights and I'm not gonna watch any further. It was a half-assed Warriors parody with "lol Jews" and "lol lesbians" as jokes. On the other hand, I got into Better Things, and I love what I've seen of that so far.

Is there a way that I can legally watch the Bryant Gumbel show about corruption in the IOC? For some reason, they only show the most recent episode on HBO Go, and I can't find a full cut on YouTube.

Rhyno posted:

I loving hate him. He hosed up nearly every SNL skit he was ever in because he couldn't stop laughing at how loving funny he was.
I thought he kept laughing during sketches because it was a way of him coping with his nervousness. At least, I sincerely hope that's why he did it. He was terrible on SNL, and he was especially bad as Tina Fey's co-anchor on Weekend Update- he kept running jokes into the ground.

Fallon's greatest talent is kissing rear end. It doesn't matter who he's interviewing. As for the dumb YouTube stuff, there's a great line on Difficult People Season 2 where either Julie or Billy says that he turned The Tonight Show into a child's birthday party.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

precision posted:

You just know some guy had a stripper disappear in mid-lap-dance. That poo poo would be hella traumatizing!

Yeah. That would.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spatula City posted:

I despise him. He seems like the kind of guy who would be working gleefully for the state-controlled TV station if America were a totalitarian state. I don't say this lightly.

Now I can't not think it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Spatula City posted:

I despise him. He seems like the kind of guy who would be working gleefully for the state-controlled TV station if America were a totalitarian state. I don't say this lightly.

gently caress. I can never watch anything of his again

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Jimmy Fallon is the ultimate rear end-kissing company man, and he had very big shoes to fill in that regard when he took over for Leno. He'd take that position in a heartbeat.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
God drat Spatula City

God drat

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Spatula City posted:

Escobarbarian posted:

God drat Spatula City

God drat

Not an emptyquote. I've never seen someone succinctly describe my problem with Jimmy Fallon. I've never been a fan of his (other than providing The Roots with a cushy gig) but his puff piece interview with Trump was nearly as bad as Billy Bush's ingratiating bullshit.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The original Fraggle Rock has been completely remastered in HD and will be coming back to HBO before the end of the year. First Larry Sanders, now Fraggle Rock. HBO really is the best.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Good. Not enough people remember Fraggle Rock for the genius it was.

Just finished a rewatch of Breaking Bad s2-s5. Mate. What a show. Everything keeps falling forward like dominos. You never feel like its contriving the drama, its all one logical chain of blood. It was weird starting from the beginning of s2 and seeing everybody who would eventually be killed off (pretty much everybody).

I love the show and the editing and the intelligence and the acting and the pathos oh mate.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
with the b99/new girl crossover which comes first?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Escobarbarian posted:

with the b99/new girl crossover which comes first?

B99, it aired first.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

So if I'm totally 100% fine with never seeing an episode of New Girl in my life should I just skip that episode of B99?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
New Girl was pretty great for 3 seasons. Season 4 really dragged though.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Hakkesshu posted:

So if I'm totally 100% fine with never seeing an episode of New Girl in my life should I just skip that episode of B99?

The New Girl stuff in B99 is miniscule. It's just one scene where Jake commandeers Jess's car. There was much more B99 stuff in the NG episode than there was NG stuff in the B99 episode.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You wouldn't even know it was a crossover just watching the B99 episode. I completely forgot it was crossover week to be honest. I approve, even though I didn't find it their best episode.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You can tell they wrote all the crossover scenes before they fleshed out the season. All of Jess's stuff happened during late afternoon yet she was interacting with Holt and Gina at the station. That was a bit jarring when all the motivations of the previous episode centered around them being stuck on night shift.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah there could have been more interaction between all the characters, but reading between the lines this was something the network ordered so they tried to do it painlessly.

Though Jess' interaction with Captain Holt was pretty fun.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

If I got sick of new girl a few seasons back is it worth watching for the B99 parts?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo. The latest episode of Atlanta was incredible.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Watched the first two episodes of the new daily Vice and I really enjoyed it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Looten Plunder posted:

Holy poo poo. The latest episode of Atlanta was incredible.

Yeah, I loved it. I totally get the criticism that it's the kind of episode that takes away from the main story at the wrong time, and would have been better in a second or third season, but I had so much fun with it that I didn't mind.

Started watching Halt and Catch Fire and even in the supposedly less good first season I'm really enjoying myself. Kerry Bishe is the greatest.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah, I loved it. I totally get the criticism that it's the kind of episode that takes away from the main story at the wrong time, and would have been better in a second or third season, but I had so much fun with it that I didn't mind.

Started watching Halt and Catch Fire and even in the supposedly less good first season I'm really enjoying myself. Kerry Bishe is the greatest.
Both Cameron and Donna basically come to the forefront of the show after S1, which makes the show amazing. It's like S1 was a really weak attempt at doing 80s Don Draper with Lee Pace (as much as I love Lee Pace, still) so they dialed it down and found the strong parts of their show in the off-season (after getting renewed somehow).

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
If anyone was wondering where the great new tv is this year.. it's Atlanta. Get yourself an IPA on tap and some Swishers and check it out.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Hey there's a new Batman thing with Adam West

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGeQKu8RXDc

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sober posted:

Both Cameron and Donna basically come to the forefront of the show after S1, which makes the show amazing. It's like S1 was a really weak attempt at doing 80s Don Draper with Lee Pace (as much as I love Lee Pace, still) so they dialed it down and found the strong parts of their show in the off-season (after getting renewed somehow).

That's good, as the attempt to make Pace another tortured antihero is by far the weakest part of the show.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
"She's so pretty, like Nala from The Lion King, and she talks good, like... Nala from The Lion King"

The Good Place owns

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The Exorcist is delivering, I'm surprised there isn't a thread for it by now.

Also been watching NYPD Blue. They are showing older and later episodes OTA. The later episodes are solid but drat is that a noisy show. It's like every actor had a live mic and every noise, every rustle, is picked up. I guess no worse than today's shows that have too loud music over the dialog.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Okay, I just got around to watching the first episode of the 3rd season of Lip Sync Battles. It has to be one of the most surreal things I have ever seen. John Cho vs. Ben Kingsley and Kingsley loving crushes it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'm still not entirely sure why no one in this forum watches Empire but me.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It has black people

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I'm enjoying Timeless. It's like Legends of Tomorrow; quite silly but the characters aren't insufferable and when they gently caress up history, it has consequences. Some of the characters have bouts of bad logic (like the lady in charge saying "there's no record of you having a sister") but I thought the most recent ep managed to sell me on the emotional side of why a time traveler might try to save Abe Lincoln.

That said, between the five or six time travel shows this season, I would be happy I never saw characters drawing lines on whiteboards or asking us to imagine ants crawling on folded paper ever again.

Argue fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Oct 14, 2016

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

There's an easy explanation for that one, we're all white people

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

I think I could only manage one season of the soap format - the first was crazy and great and then in season 2 it just ...kept going. If 10 unforgivable crimes have been forgotten, and you can't remember who is meant to hate who this week, it kinda loses something. Same with recent seasons of Scandal, they should have gone out with a bang end of season 3.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Chop Sunni posted:

the soap format
it just ...kept going.

Therein lies the appeal of the soap format

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Wandle Cax posted:

Therein lies the appeal of the soap format

I think Empire and Jane the Virgin would be a lot less appealing if traditional soaps weren't so unusual today outside of mom-television.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
So I finally watched Stranger Things this week. Wow. It was great. And not only that, I don't think I have a single complaint about it. I did not believe the hype, but it was well-earned.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

MiddleOne posted:

As a Black PersonTM, I have no interest in prime time soap operas.

Snak posted:

So I finally watched Stranger Things this week. Wow. It was great. And not only that, I don't think I have a single complaint about it. I did not believe the hype, but it was well-earned.

I didn't care much for the ending, the last episode felt incredibly rushed. But aside from that I thought it was fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

I think Empire and Jane the Virgin would be a lot less appealing if traditional soaps weren't so unusual today outside of mom-television.

Man... anyone here watch soaps in the 90s? When I was a kid, my babysitter was an older lady who gave me free reign of the television except for the two hours a day when her "stories" were on, and if Days of Our Lives is any indication, 90s soaps were wild as hell. They had a storyline where one of the main ladies was possessed by the Devil. Not a devil, but the Devil. Good old Satan himself. They name-checked him. I remember the lady's ex-boyfriend had become a priest and Satan wanted to kill him or take his soul or something, but he couldn't touch him as long as he was wearing his priest collar. So there was this really awkward scene where she's trying to tempt him into breaking his vow of celibacy and acting all sexy, and then when that doesn't work, she like, turns the thermostat up so that it gets really hot in the house and then watches him get all hot and bothered, sensually pulling at his collar, while she's having this internal monologue in a really deep demonic voice, like "REMOVE THY PRIESTLY GARMENTS THAT I MAY DEVOUR THEE." At the time, I was just confused. Looking back, that poo poo is hilarious.

They actually tried to do the apocalypse, too. There was a rain of fire and everything. I'm pretty sure there was also an episode set in a circus where one of the main characters had to fight a tiger. Empire wishes it could reach those heights of soap-itude. Hell, I bet a possession/apocalypse storyline would do great for the ratings. More shows should try that poo poo.

• Locked thread