Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JumpinJackFlash
Nov 15, 2001
Birthday party for his dog while Phil Collins music plays in the background?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

The Thai monarchy is almost entirely powerless, right? So why does this matter?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

it is not almost entirely powerless, it is the most important part of thai politics. almost everything revolves around it.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Uh oh. Farang better start keeping one bag packed and waiting by the door.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

It's my understanding that part of the controversy regarding the late King's infirmity was that the government was issuing decrees and proclamations that were ostensibly signed by him at a time when he'd have been far too sick and/or senile to know what was going on.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

This matters because the junta has reinforced and promulgated the King as semi-god, and has inculcated public worship a la Stalin or Mao or pre-WWII Hirohito. The King has made a great figurehead for the juntas. The problem is that his son and heir is widely disliked, and transferring that worship and authority to the son will be difficult. Without a mythical and admired king, the junta has a PR problem. The only alternative is the King's unmarried daughter, who is respected, but the constitution forbids female succession.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Man all these dying monarchies should know better to allow female succession. Japan too.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

They actually amended the constitution all the way back in 74 to allow female succession. Legally though it goes to the first born, the much beloved HRH Crown Prince.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

They actually amended the constitution all the way back in 74 to allow female succession. Legally though it goes to the first born, the much beloved HRH Crown Prince.

Aha! Thanks for the correction.

e: Huh. The chair of the junta announces that the Crown Prince says he isn't ready to take the throne yet.

quote:

“He already accepted his appointment as a royal heir, but he requested time to deal with his grief and express his sadness alongside the people across the nation at this time,” Gen. Prayuth said at 9.40pm after a joint meeting between the government and the legislature. “As for the … succession, he wishes to wait until the appropriate time.”
drat.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 13, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Arsenic Lupin posted:

e: Huh. The chair of the junta announces that the Crown Prince says he isn't ready to take the throne yet.

drat.

:raise:

God, to be a fly on the wall.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
a game of thrones if you will

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

yeah RIP

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

drat.

So will they get the Prince assassinated or to secede?

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This matters because the junta has reinforced and promulgated the King as semi-god, and has inculcated public worship a la Stalin or Mao or pre-WWII Hirohito. The King has made a great figurehead for the juntas. The problem is that his son and heir is widely disliked, and transferring that worship and authority to the son will be difficult. Without a mythical and admired king, the junta has a PR problem. The only alternative is the King's unmarried daughter, who is respected, but the constitution forbids female succession.

I just flew out of Bangkok last night/this morning after two weeks around the country and obviously there are a ton of pictures of the king but it was really striking how many pictures of the crown princess there were vs. me only ever seeing one picture of the crown prince the entire time I was there.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

The Saddest Rhino posted:

So will they get the Prince assassinated or to secede?

"After much consideration, I have decided I need to retire from public life to spend more time with my poodle and my wife, in that order."

Edit: Adun, see if you ever get invited back now :mad:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Stay safe crazy prince.

Or maybe a state funeral is cheaper than keeping him alive.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Arsenic Lupin posted:

drat.

The Crown Prince would like some time to get himself together and for the military to get their armoured vehicles and tear gas launchers in place.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

so um one year of mourning seems a little excessive even for the world's longest reigning monarch

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

so um one year of mourning seems a little excessive even for the world's longest reigning monarch

Welcome to the lèse majesté blacklist, fucker

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

I'm no expert but I think it's this

Pirate Radar posted:

They don't need to leave now. None of the factions would disrespect the King's memory by starting poo poo this soon.

Basically the junta have bought themselves a year of time to either think of a solution or make the crown prince dude popular enough that he can hold it all together.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2016/10/14/note-readers-removal-article-royal-succession/

quote:

Khaosod English has removed an October 14 article about a procedure at the royal succession following King Bhumibol’s death per instruction from Khaosod’s editorial management, who feared that content in the article might lead to possible legal action.

We regret the necessity.

The decision was made solely by the editorial management of Khaosod newspaper, which owns Khaosod English. We have not received any order from authorities to remove the article.

all articles that mentioned Prem becoming royal regent

im surprised some people arent leaving the country

itstime4lunch
Nov 3, 2005

clockin' around
the clock

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2016/10/14/note-readers-removal-article-royal-succession/

all articles that mentioned Prem becoming royal regent

im surprised some people arent leaving the country

What's the implication here? Foul play? Are you really expecting a power struggle at the upper echelons (if there is one) to have great immediate effects on the day-to-day life of ordinary people? In my experience, most Thais' understanding of the fraught politics and dark history of the country is extremely cursory at best.

edit: Oh, maybe I misinterpreted "some people."

itstime4lunch fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Oct 15, 2016

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

itstime4lunch posted:

What's the implication here? Foul play? Are you really expecting a power struggle at the upper echelons (if there is one) to have a great immediate effects on the day-to-day life of ordinary people?
Well, the whole "my faction is losing, so let's have riots to demonstrate my power" thing tends to affect everybody.

itstime4lunch
Nov 3, 2005

clockin' around
the clock

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Well, the whole "my faction is losing, so let's have riots to demonstrate my power" thing tends to affect everybody.

Depends on where you live. Surveys have shown that only about 15-20% identify with either the red shirts or the yellow shirts. Everyone else just seems to go with the flow. Sure, they'll talk, but they won't get involved on a personal level.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
It's been pretty calm, really. I mean attitudes are a bit subdued and some people are grieving very publicly, but besides tons of street vendors selling every black clothing item they can find and the country becoming a UX nightmare overnight it's very calm. I've been watching some of the old English language interviews with the King. It's funny, I hadn't appreciated how quick, but calm and erudite he was until I sat and watched those. You can't coach that kind of thinking I don't think. Like he didn't joust and spar, he made very interesting and clever points when questions and pushed by Western reporters. Reminds me a bit of the late King Hussein of Jordan.

In any case, the end of Buddhist Lent is tomorrow and it seems like they started the alkeehal ban a night early at midnight last night, but I can't tell for sure. Otherwise, most things are open, people are working, it's not a joyous time, but among my Thai friends and colleagues most of them seem to share the attitude that I think most humans would share, which is that he had been sick for a long time, this was expected and he's no longer suffering.

I doubt anything nutty will happen until December 5th at the earliest, if even then, but there are at least two loose cannons involved in this business, one of whom has a history of erratic behavior when things don't go his way. We'll see, I guess. FortMan knows more than the rest of us about this kind of thing.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

itstime4lunch posted:

What's the implication here? Foul play? Are you really expecting a power struggle at the upper echelons (if there is one) to have great immediate effects on the day-to-day life of ordinary people? In my experience, most Thais' understanding of the fraught politics and dark history of the country is extremely cursory at best.

edit: Oh, maybe I misinterpreted "some people."

I was talking about certain elites who have largely worked against the heir taking over booking it, not normal people.

That said, it seems they have restored the articles about Prem being regent, so who knows whats going on.

I agree that nothing public will probably happen for a couple of months at least, though there might be echoes of the behind the scenes power struggle. Markets seem to believe this as well.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

My fav thing is looking at comments on international news sites reporting on the King's death and the potential issues, it's just full of locals and even white people going full duterte supporter mode and yelling at the BBC or CNN for daring to say bad things during a time of mourning (for a year). There was even a BBC article stating "the death of the King has left a hole in..." and people were going ballistic saying "no the King did not leave how dare you he will always be alive in our hearts how far the BBC has fallen"

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

My fav thing is looking at comments on international news sites reporting on the King's death and the potential issues, it's just full of locals and even white people going full duterte supporter mode and yelling at the BBC or CNN for daring to say bad things during a time of mourning (for a year). There was even a BBC article stating "the death of the King has left a hole in..." and people were going ballistic saying "no the King did not leave how dare you he will always be alive in our hearts how far the BBC has fallen"

On a BBC article advising tourists to wear muted colors:

quote:

Government cannot tell people to wear black. Shame on BBC News to post this propaganda against Thailand and it's people in mourning of their great leader. Shame on you.

How dare the BBC advise people to be respectful, have they no respect??

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

On a BBC article advising tourists to wear muted colors:

How dare the BBC advise people to be respectful, have they no respect??
No Olympics for you!!

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

ReindeerF posted:

I doubt anything nutty will happen until December 5th at the earliest, if even then, but there are at least two loose cannons involved in this business, one of whom has a history of erratic behavior when things don't go his way. We'll see, I guess. FortMan knows more than the rest of us about this kind of thing.

Sadly not. Rumors are all I have. With all the censorship in this topics, rumors are all most people have too. Hopefully he has some good sense that the people love his father wasn't for his station, but his person. Well, I'm entitled to a little delusion is this kind of time, right?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

eviljelly posted:

Welcome to the lèse majesté blacklist, fucker

Hey, at least he's not John Oliver, who will be black-bagged and fed to the pending-monarch's adorable dog for its next birthday party. :v:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Hey, at least he's not John Oliver, who will be black-bagged and fed to the pending-monarch's adorable dog for its next birthday party. :v:
Kidnap John Oliver and Thailand can expect war with the USA.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Yeah the looking for offense from abroad thing is a national pastime among the hiso it seems like. I run into it personally. It's a lot like dealing with American conservatives who are just sure everything is an insult directed at them. I've been avoiding interpersonal contact with Thai family, friends and colleagues since the event. I have a hard time biting my tongue and some of them are a bit emotional right now. Best to stay inside and work, lest I fail to genuflect hard enough and accidentally insult all Thai people.

FortMan posted:

Sadly not. Rumors are all I have. With all the censorship in this topics, rumors are all most people have too. Hopefully he has some good sense that the people love his father wasn't for his station, but his person. Well, I'm entitled to a little delusion is this kind of time, right?
Heh, yep, I reckon so.

Related to my previous comment, this is just an edited version of one of the documentaries with English language interviews and it's full of MYSTIC ORIENT fluff, but if you jump just to his interviews, which are interspersed, it's interesting to see how his mind works and what he seems to value. Also kind of draws a sharp contrast with his wife and how her mind works when she speaks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6oSnFtDsC4

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
What are the bad practices? And bad rumors?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

caberham posted:

What are the bad practices? And bad rumors?

I'd tell you but it might be lese majeste

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

I'd tell you but it might be lese majeste

Well technically there is no majeste to lese right now if he hasn't taken the throne right?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Oracle posted:

Well technically there is no majeste to lese right now if he hasn't taken the throne right?
According to Wikipedia, the lèse majesté law has covered "king, queen, heir-apparent or regent" since it was legislated in 1908. That means the crown prince would have been covered since before his father died, and presumably continues to be covered. From today's Guardian, a woman accused of lèse majesté against the late King was arrested and forced to kneel in front of his image to apologize.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

At least one person is in jail for the next 15 years because they said it was "ridiculous" to interpret the law as covering the king's dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What the hell is happening in South Korea?

• Locked thread