Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Cosmic Afro posted:

I, sadly, missed the GMG discount this time around. Sadness! I guess there will be other times to get discounts, as most I see on IsThereAnyDeals.com are kind of...

Well, places I'm not too sure of, like GamesPlanet UK, or a 20% voucher for a place called WinGameStore, which does not inspire me confidence.

The stores that IsThereAnyDeal lists are generally good. However the GamesPlanet keys are region locked so if you're not in Europe they are no good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Has there been any buzz about who else gets second leaders? On one video the devs said 'some' civs get one rather than everyone.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Has there been any buzz about who else gets second leaders? On one video the devs said 'some' civs get one rather than everyone.
No others at launch, but we've seen Isabella for Spain in that portait list from months back, so she'll be in fairly soon I assume.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The only advance hint we have at all is from three months back.

Zooming and enhancing that board in back was enough to figure out most of the pictures ahead of time (Gorgo and Harald weren't filled in until the fateful dev stream opening the civilopedia). There are still two of them missing, but the board's been completely accurate thus far, so it's rather likely Isabella'll be early DLC.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

jBrereton posted:

It was the Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation the whole time he was king!

Yes. I have already addressed this. Political structures do not translate to real cultural buy in, or nationalistic consciousness. Identities trended towards the regional for a long, long time.

The Holy Roman Empire and Germany are very different beasts.

Despite this, I don't actually object to Frederick Barbarossa being leader of Germany in Civ 6 because it's cool to see the guy get some recognition. I'm just pointing out that a lot of these choices are equally nonsense.

Edit: To make a comparison, Frederick Barbarossa as a Leader for Germany is about as apt as making Julius Caesar the Leader of the Byzantine Empire. In both cases you're taking someone from an earlier society and making them the Leader of a completely different society that emerged from some segment of the earlier society.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 16, 2016

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Gladi posted:

Aside from the fact that some people in the era kept talking about being German, which they hardly would do if it had no meaning, their opinions are not relevant in this example. The opinion of modern Germans is.

To modern Germany Friedrich Barbarossa is its history. As is Arminius, Ottonians and whoever. While the narrative might be "artificial" it exists.

Does the same idea exist for Saladin and arabic people of Near East? No idea.

I remember reading a review for Kingdom of Heaven by Robert Fisk and the Lebanese audience he watched it with would all erupt into cheers everytime Saladin did something cool or noble.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Tbh everybody loves Saladin. The English were hella tsundere for Saladin.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Low on a few scales, the highest on another

E: wait, did you get the deluxe edition or nah?

I bought the deluxe edition on steam but only because I had like $50 in credit from selling dota hats where does that put me?

I would have gotten the normal version but I really like the soundtrack so far.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
Probably been mentioned already but aside from Hideyoshi Emperor Meiji seems like the really obvious choice for Japan if they wanted to go in a different direction. I'm kind of baffled about why they went for someone who's barely known even within Japan this time, though it's not exactly going to put me off getting the game or anything.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Id get the more expensive one if i knew what actually was coming out. There is nothing stopping them from making the next few dlc soundtrack or scenarios which...soundtrack cool, scenarios I don't care for and id feel screwed if they did that.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I remember reading a review for Kingdom of Heaven by Robert Fisk and the Lebanese audience he watched it with would all erupt into cheers everytime Saladin did something cool or noble.

Yeah, something I read about it described Muslim audiences standing up and cheering when Saladin righted a fallen cross or something, which seems like a mix of Saladin being awesome and them liking the positive display of Muslims in cinema.

Jastiger posted:

Id get the more expensive one if i knew what actually was coming out. There is nothing stopping them from making the next few dlc soundtrack or scenarios which...soundtrack cool, scenarios I don't care for and id feel screwed if they did that.

It calls the things you'll get "DLC packs" and mentions leaders, civs, scenarios, and maps, plural, so I'm assuming it's multiple of each. I don't think there's going to be soundtrack DLC, at least apart from unique music for new civs and stuff.

If they give what they promised in the description (four "packs" of DLC, with multiple of the things listed), it seems like it should be a good deal at least.

Cosmic Afro
May 23, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The stores that IsThereAnyDeal lists are generally good. However the GamesPlanet keys are region locked so if you're not in Europe they are no good

Soooo WinGameStore should be pretty legit, then? Huh. Worth a shot, I guess.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Having Ashoka as leader of India instead of Gandhi would be great.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Byzantine posted:

Having Ashoka as leader of India instead of Gandhi would be great.

Or good ol' Chandragupta. I'd be down for either!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Cosmic Afro posted:

Soooo WinGameStore should be pretty legit, then? Huh. Worth a shot, I guess.

This post inspired me to pull the trigger on it (the Game Deals subreddit lists them as a trusted retailer as well), so I guess we'll see!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zohar posted:

Probably been mentioned already but aside from Hideyoshi Emperor Meiji seems like the really obvious choice for Japan if they wanted to go in a different direction. I'm kind of baffled about why they went for someone who's barely known even within Japan this time, though it's not exactly going to put me off getting the game or anything.

DLC ofc

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I jumped through the gamersgate hoops and got this message. "Due to high demand we are currently out of serial keys for Sid Meier’s Civilization® VI. You may proceed with your order but it may take up to a few days before you recieve your serial key."

Hopefully they mean a few days from now and not a few days after release, but I'm waiting a while longer before ordering.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Another question - will this likely burn people's laptops down like Civ V did?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Another question - will this likely burn people's laptops down like Civ V did?

Considering the optimization that went into XCOM 2, you'd be lucky if it ran at all.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

It looks like the gamersgate $45 + wasting 10 minutes of your life deal is still up. http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-SID-MEIERS-CIVILIZATION-VI-ROW-GN/sid-meiers-civilization-vi

The transactions did eventually process for me, anyway, though the serials aren't yet available (due to it being a preorder, presumably).

It says they have no more keys available, which I took to mean they ordered X number of keys and they reached that mark.

Iamyourking
Oct 27, 2007

Only courage in the face of doubt can lead one to the answer.
Toilet Rascal
I've seen that happen before. If they don't have them in a few weeks, send them an email.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Zohar posted:

The Meiji Emperor would be pretty cool for a civ that could basically suck the techs out of everyone around him, which means that he could focus on other developments, at the cost of getting any first-to bonuses. So he would be awful at wonderspam. The criticism is that he had a serious lack of executive power, unlike most other civ "leaders". Not like that means much, it's not like Gandhi wielded executive power lol.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Roland Jones posted:

It calls the things you'll get "DLC packs" and mentions leaders, civs, scenarios, and maps, plural, so I'm assuming it's multiple of each.

Yeah, this is why I wasn't too worried. If they don't deliver then it's pretty simple to file a claim and at least get a partial refund. But I don't really feel like they won't deliver.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Are we going to have a day one goon game?

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

First time I pre-order anything 90 dollars from GreenManGaming.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
Regarding German leader chat, I shall use this opportunity to suggest a radical choice that will in no way spark any sort of hostile debate.

Konrad Adenauer

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Phobophilia posted:

The Meiji Emperor would be pretty cool for a civ that could basically suck the techs out of everyone around him, which means that he could focus on other developments, at the cost of getting any first-to bonuses. So he would be awful at wonderspam. The criticism is that he had a serious lack of executive power, unlike most other civ "leaders". Not like that means much, it's not like Gandhi wielded executive power lol.

Japan already has Meiji Restoration as civilization ability, and Peter the Great has bonuses to catching up technologically. I don't see what Emperor Meiji could bring to the table.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Japan already has Meiji Restoration as civilization ability, and Peter the Great has bonuses to catching up technologically. I don't see what Emperor Meiji could bring to the table.

oh, pfffrt, silly me for forgetting the abilities

yeah, this is going to be a bitch and a half remembering every single UU and civ ability and leader ability and city state ability

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

oh, pfffrt, silly me for forgetting the abilities

yeah, this is going to be a bitch and a half remembering every single UU and civ ability and leader ability and city state ability

ISN'T IT WONDERFUL! I LOVE IT!! THERE'S SO MUCH STUFF AND THERE'S GOING TO BE MODS AND DLC COMING AND THE GAME IS GOING TO GET COMPLETELY BONKERS AND YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY¬

Going to be playing this poo poo non-stop for years. :D

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
drat, it cannot be friday fast enough. I played civ V until my eyeballs fell out of my skull, and now I just have it on autopilot.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Wacky Delly posted:

Exactly, there's nothing in the Deluxe edition that you can't get later, on sale. Except maybe the soundtrack?

$48 for the standard edition with the Amazon Prime preorder discount is the best deal I've found so far for those of us who missed out on GMG codes. The next 4 DLCs combined will likely cost less than $32, and depending on the content you might not even buy them all immediately at full price.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yes. I have already addressed this. Political structures do not translate to real cultural buy in, or nationalistic consciousness. Identities trended towards the regional for a long, long time.

The Holy Roman Empire and Germany are very different beasts.

Despite this, I don't actually object to Frederick Barbarossa being leader of Germany in Civ 6 because it's cool to see the guy get some recognition. I'm just pointing out that a lot of these choices are equally nonsense.

Edit: To make a comparison, Frederick Barbarossa as a Leader for Germany is about as apt as making Julius Caesar the Leader of the Byzantine Empire. In both cases you're taking someone from an earlier society and making them the Leader of a completely different society that emerged from some segment of the earlier society.

I mean in that case the only two leaders would be either Wilhelm I or Bismarck, since Germany didn't exist before them and stopped existing after them until the 90s.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Man why are there only 4 themes from the soundtrack on YouTube. I want to listen to more rad tunes without having to listen to internet people.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Arminius for alternate German leader. :getin:

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Fargle posted:

ISN'T IT WONDERFUL! I LOVE IT!! THERE'S SO MUCH STUFF AND THERE'S GOING TO BE MODS AND DLC COMING AND THE GAME IS GOING TO GET COMPLETELY BONKERS AND YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

I don't know how unique the CS bonuses really are. If not Toronto to spread district bonuses, why not Luxembourg or Singapore? As much flavour as they've gained, they're not irreplaceable.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

I mean in that case the only two leaders would be either Wilhelm I or Bismarck, since Germany didn't exist before them and stopped existing after them until the 90s.

That's more or less correct yeah. Except for the part about stopping existing until the 90s, because at that point German identity was pretty well established regardless of whether or not they retained control over their own affairs.

This is why I don't actually encourage Civilization to be overly historically accurate :v:

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 16, 2016

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Have Firaxis said anything about a release day patch to correct the problems streams have been showing? I would assume they are watching the streams and fixing poo poo, but have they actually said anything about it?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Lord Hypnostache posted:

I thought it was a little strange they made Meiji restoration a civ ability when it's obviously tied to a specific leader

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Marbozir put up a video about 15 tips in Civ6 you might not be aware of. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Erich Ludendorf (Germany)

Leader Bonus: Hindenburg Line - Melee Units within striking range of friendly ranged units gain +5 combat strength.

Leader Agenda: Der Totale Krieg: When at war with two or more powers, all coins, culture, faith, and beakers become production, unit maintenance reduced by 50%. You better win and win fast or you're going to completely lose the game.