Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Rolling Scissors posted:

The Martini Henry is the best sounding gun in the game hands down. First tries couldn't hit poo poo with it for some reason but then it clicked and the gun is just pure aural bliss. It unlocks at Scout level 10.

The gun is ridiculous once you learn the range on it and how to adjust for the low velocity. Also, try firing it indoors. Its awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PS1 Hagrid
Sep 17, 2007

I'm glad the game actually has a good rendition of the Battlefield theme on it's soundtrack. I've missed it so much since BF3's and BF4's versions sounded like farts run through a distortion filter.

PS1 Hagrid fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 18, 2016

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Bloodplay it again posted:

I think you have to complete each objective in order. I had hundreds of resupplies and dozens of mortar kills but they didn't get checked off until I got 15 suppressions first and then completed each of the tasks for the support-themed medal.

Do you have to track a medal to start completing its objectives? Even if you do them in order?

Kind of a pain in the rear end if so.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Google Butt posted:

anyone been using the swagnum? if so, does it own?

The Gasser? It's okay. It can let you beat other assaults at longer ranges than your primaries, but its reload is super long and it's not the best at close quarters.

s1ppycup
Jul 31, 2010
I haven't been all that impressed with any of the support guns so far. The Madsen Storm is probably my favorite of the bunch, but there's a better gun out there for just about any scenario. I'd rather have a medic rifle for longer ranges, or an SMG or shotgun for shorter ranges.

I also have an issue with the support kit itself. Many vehicles can self-repair, and there's not really any analog to the double-repping scout chopper shenanigans in this game, so the repair tool is kinda pointless. The limpet disables most tanks with one charge, but you only GET one charge without camping an ammo box for a minute. The mortars are okay, but if I wanted to be stationary and get more consistent kills I'd just go scout. I dunno, I guess TL;DR "boohoo", but I enjoyed support so much in the previous games that I feel kinda let down with this iteration.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I hate the new medal system, and I'm disappointed by the lack of squad upgrade perks. Otherwise game is pretty dope so far.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

I don't even have access to the game yet and it's driving me crazy that all the streamers and video makers shoot flares up into the sky, giving other players the hot tip of doing the same. Except that's retarded because while it might spot people during flight, even if you shoot it straight up it lands uselessly somewhere away from the place you need it most.

It spots in an AOE when it lands on the ground people! It does not fizzle out immediately. Stop shooting it in the air and start shooting it at the area you want to spot people.

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 18, 2016

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I don't know how the gently caress I am going to get 5 head shots with a LMG when desperate medium range spraying is all I can do with them.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Dezztroy posted:

The Gasser? It's okay. It can let you beat other assaults at longer ranges than your primaries, but its reload is super long and it's not the best at close quarters.

Not the gasser, you have to unlock the one I'm talking about

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

I don't even have access to the game yet and it's driving me crazy that all the streamers and video makers shoot flares up into the sky, giving other players the hot tip of doing the same. Except that's retarded because while it might spot people during flight, even if you shoot it straight up it lands uselessly somewhere away from the place you need it most.

It spots in an AOE when it lands on the ground people! It does not fizzle out immediately. Stop shooting it in the air and start shooting it at the area you want to spot people.

That's really dumb

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

It spots in an AOE when it lands on the ground people! Stop shooting it in the air and start shooting it at the area you want to spot people.

Yeah, its far better to just point and shoot where you want it. Its a pretty good way of flushing people out of cover too. If you see someone with low health drop down behind cover, a flare has a pretty good chance of burning them to death or at least making them reposition.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Do you have to track a medal to start completing its objectives? Even if you do them in order?

Kind of a pain in the rear end if so.

You absolutely have to track a medal to make progress.

Bloodplay it again posted:

I think you have to complete each objective in order. I had hundreds of resupplies and dozens of mortar kills but they didn't get checked off until I got 15 suppressions first and then completed each of the tasks for the support-themed medal.

Yup! If you remember assignments from BF3 there's precedence for how stupidly implemented the medals are. Another case of one step back.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
I was one of the goons who poured a million hours into BF1942's Wake Island demo back in '02, and then played the living poo poo out of the full version and most mods including the crazy SA one.

I haven't played a BF game since bad company 2, mainly because I get so frustrated with anything EA touches.

I also read/study a lot about WWI as a hobby and was really leery of the egregious ahistorical elements in the game (It's as if the grand total of bolt action rifles employed in the war is less than 100, and each were fitted with big fancy scopes)

Anyway even though I've apparently turned into this ur-Grognard towards this title in particular, I picked it up and wanted to say I have been completely enjoying the poo poo out of it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I was a bit cautious at first, but now I really don't mind the inclusion of the more exotics and obsolete weapons as well, they really wouldn't have had enough to ground if they followed the straight and narrow.

I look forward to the future WW2 game and see what crazy rear end prototypes and legacy WW1 weapons they'll do!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Wait a minute...there was a SA mod for BF1942???

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

it's almost like if you look at it like it's a video game and not a history class it's good

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bhaal posted:

Anyway even though I've apparently turned into this ur-Grognard towards this title in particular, I picked it up and wanted to say I have been completely enjoying the poo poo out of it.

Same.

This is the first time in years that I actually resent having a job that prevents me from poopsocking a game.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It captures the feeling I've not had with a Battlefield game since Battlefield 1942/Vietnam.

Shame we can't strap a gramophone onto our sweet WW1 buggies and listen to the top ten hits of 1918!

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

I was a bit cautious at first, but now I really don't mind the inclusion of the more exotics and obsolete weapons as well, they really wouldn't have had enough to ground if they followed the straight and narrow.

I look forward to the future WW2 game and see what crazy rear end prototypes and legacy WW1 weapons they'll do!

I feel the game is best enjoyed when looked at as a sort of action packed comic book set in 1921. I mean poo poo look at the Austro-Hungarian Assaultmen, they look like sinister stormtroopers from some doom army. The second half of Avante Savoia was comic in how different the bright, earth toned Italians are from the gloomy, dark-grey and red Austro-Hungarians. It felt like star wars.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

evil_bunnY posted:

trial and release are the same loving thing. They play on the same servers.

Lol

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Are people really getting mad about historical inaccuracies? Jesus gently caress.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

s.i.r.e. posted:

Are people really getting mad about historical inaccuracies? Jesus gently caress.

lol ya go back a few pages

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
If there's one minor thing I want fixed, it's an option to put some gloves on all the player models' hands. The skin textures weird me out.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

I feel the game is best enjoyed when looked at as a sort of action packed comic book set in 1921.

Man that comic book would tank hilariously hard.

They'd need to invent some sort of weird jerks wearing tights and throwing cars around or something to lighten the mood. Or something about TRUE ROMANCE.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Toggle ADS is kinda hosed when trying to ADS after sprinting and its driving me mad!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I swear we could turn crouch into a on/off sort of toggle instead of holding the key all the time in the beta too?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

SeanBeansShako posted:

I swear we could turn crouch into a on/off sort of toggle instead of holding the key all the time in the beta too?

IIRC that is a separate keybind ("x" by default), and not a yes/no toggle, so you need to look under keybindings.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

BigglesSWE posted:

Wait a minute...there was a SA mod for BF1942???
It was called "Total Retardation"* and basically had a ton of wacky/broken changes like ... well watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqz-Q9dnBcA

* We were all younger and dumber and more insensitive back then

s.i.r.e. posted:

No it's more like I acknowledge it's throughly present but it is saturated enough that it doesn't affect me. I think they just embraced it and decided to make something good out of it, so you get an immersive movie feel for the era and disbelief is successfully suspended.

If they tried to compromise on it and had a bunch of sops to realism everywhere I think it would have failed and I might have been Unhappy With A Video Game.

s1ppycup
Jul 31, 2010
Now that we're on the topic of alternate-history WW1, I can bring up this book series: https://www.amazon.com/Leviathan-Trilogy-Scott-Westerfeld/dp/1416971742

...wherein the Austro-Hungarians fight with steampunk mechs and the French, British, etc. fight with crudely bioengineered living weapons. It's a young adult series, so don't expect too much out of it, but it has some cool ideas and super sick artwork by Keith Thompson, if nothing else: http://www.keiththompsonart.com/leviathanbook.html

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Knifegrab posted:

Toggle ADS is kinda hosed when trying to ADS after sprinting and its driving me mad!

Toggle ADS is bad because it gives you disadvantages in transitions like sprint, reload, exiting vehicles, starting and cancelling ADS, etc. Unless you have missing fingers or something, just get used to hold ADS.

Delpino
May 12, 2001
Forum Veteran

Bhaal posted:

It was called "Total Retardation"* and basically had a ton of wacky/broken changes like ... well watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqz-Q9dnBcA

* We were all younger and dumber and more insensitive back then

God I had forgotten all about that one, Vanilla and Desert Combat were the ones that came instantly to mind.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
Forgotten Hope was a really ambitious one that extended the life of that game by a couple years for me, easily. I remember hearing the dev team was kind of toxic/elitist and self destructed before they could remake the mod in a better BF engine, but what they put out was super drat fun.

Cresting a hill and seeing a Tiger II in that mod made your blood run cold. Welp, let's swiftly and immediately go check out what's going on way on the other side of the map!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Bhaal posted:

If they tried to compromise on it and had a bunch of sops to realism everywhere I think it would have failed and I might have been Unhappy With A Video Game.

A realistic or close to realistic WW1 game would be a soul crushing and frustrating as hell thing to play. I mean, look at Verdun.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
this is a strange issue, but when i run this game in borderless windowed (or tab in fullscreen), it messes with my desktop in such a way that all my desktop shortcuts shift over to my second monitor? anyone else get this?

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
Oh wow, the M1907 Sweeper is THE medic gun for me, forget that bad Selbstlader M1916 Factory. I feel like I could barely kill anyone with it.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

SeanBeansShako posted:

A realistic or close to realistic WW1 game would be a soul crushing and frustrating as hell thing to play. I mean, look at Verdun.

The fronts outside of Europe would still be fun even if they were realistic. But the Western front would basically be artillery spam simulator 1916. Pretty much every late war barrage was a mixed barrage of HE + Fragmentation + Phosgene Gas + Mustard gas. That's not fun in any FPS.

That being said, with proper artillery support, a units could charge machine guns + barbed wire and win. But once that unit runs past it's own artillery and telegraph lines, they'll just get pushed back by a counter attack.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

this is a strange issue, but when i run this game in borderless windowed (or tab in fullscreen), it messes with my desktop in such a way that all my desktop shortcuts shift over to my second monitor? anyone else get this?

This was an issue in beta as well. For some reason, BF1 likes to change your resolution on launch even when it has no reason to. IIRC you can fix it by toggling fullscreen mode but it's kind of annoying.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/Battlefield/comments/586fxt/bf1emblems_and_why_they_need_to_be_removed/

This is a compelling argument.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Considering how weird european politics is getting right now, it is going to get much worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

K8.0 posted:

Toggle ADS is bad because it gives you disadvantages in transitions like sprint, reload, exiting vehicles, starting and cancelling ADS, etc. Unless you have missing fingers or something, just get used to hold ADS.

Toggle ADS actually has none of those problems.