Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Eiba posted:

A unique campus would be insanely good. Even if it's unique trait was that it was a slightly lovely campus, it would give its civ an absurd snowballing science advantage.

They're probably saving it for the Babylon DLC civ :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Catching up all on of the Civ VI info, I have to admit, I'm hyped :ohdear:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So I remember right after the announcement, they made a thing about having multiple leaders for civilizations, and then ended up having ...one civ with two leaders? I guess we know what every single dlc will be now.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I hope they have Taizong available for China. Not that I wouldn't like to see a return of Empress Wu, but it's so sad that one of the best Emperors just get's ignored because he didn't start off any massive engineering works.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I'm not sure who I'll play first. On the one hand, Russia is tempting because I just wrapped up a game as the Shoshone, and having your cities start off with a buttload of territory is so, so good. On the other hand, I hate ever being behind in tech so Peter's ability is just useless to me. Maybe I'll just go Arabia.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Whoever posted that GMG discount, thanks. I secretly wanted the soundtrack (I think the music has been incredible so far) but didn't want to pay $20 for it. The extra DLC, whatever it might be, is gravy.

Each Civ seems powerful in their own way. There are some that stand out as a bit better than others but none of them scream "useless." I honestly don't know where to start.

Everything about the game seems solid, though I guess the AI will be the real test. Now I wonder what features/mechanics will be added in the inevitable two expansions.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

The Lord of Hats posted:

I'm not sure who I'll play first. On the one hand, Russia is tempting because I just wrapped up a game as the Shoshone, and having your cities start off with a buttload of territory is so, so good. On the other hand, I hate ever being behind in tech so Peter's ability is just useless to me. Maybe I'll just go Arabia.

Russia might be ideal for high difficulty where you'll be playing tech catch-up more often, maybe? Depends how the difficulty levels work.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

The Lord of Hats posted:

On the other hand, I hate ever being behind in tech so Peter's ability is just useless to me.

If it makes a difference, the ability cares about techs/civics that differ from what you have, so you'd still get the bonus if you beelined into the Medieval Era and another civ was filling up on Classical Era techs.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

Also I learned that stepwells are a thing and also cool as gently caress.
This game continues to be educational. Looking at the city state list, I learned that Nan Madol is a thing, and it is also cool as gently caress.

Learning is fun!

The Lord of Hats posted:

Yeah Peter has a really situational ability (though if you've entirely eclipsed the whole world in tech and culture... you don't need a bonus really), but that's to balance the fact that Russia's ability is pretty good, and its unique district is amazing.

Faith is useful for tons of things all game, so spamming holy sites everywhere will give you a pretty nice boost.

Less obvious benefit to the district- holy sites increase the appeal of neighboring tiles. This lets you build slightly better neighborhoods, or end up getting more tourism from adjacent national parks and seaside resorts. You might even be able to turn some areas that weren't valid park sites (because they weren't appealing enough) into valid ones with a well placed holy site.

Also, naturalists can only be bought with faith. A shitton of faith. So Russia actually has a pretty good national park game.

If there was an unrestricted leaders mode... well, it'd be crazy unbalanced and there would be better combos I'm sure, but I'd definitely consider Teddy Roosevelt of Russia.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 18, 2016

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

counterfeitsaint posted:

So I remember right after the announcement, they made a thing about having multiple leaders for civilizations, and then ended up having ...one civ with two leaders? I guess we know what every single dlc will be now.

I mean technically multiple leaders was only officially announced like last week

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Josef bugman posted:

I hope they have Taizong available for China. Not that I wouldn't like to see a return of Empress Wu, but it's so sad that one of the best Emperors just get's ignored because he didn't start off any massive engineering works.

To be fair, Taizong of Tang had several pointless and costly defeats in Goguryeo, right after the Sui dynasty had been bankrupted by pointless and costly defeats in Goguryeo. Empress Wu may not have been as glorious elsewhere, but at least she could actually win a battle in Korea.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I'm playing England first because redcoats were my favorite unit in Civ4.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I mean technically multiple leaders was only officially announced like last week

Probably just me misremembering in my old age. What game are we even talking about again?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Yeah but everyone saw it coming a mile away with them pointing out leader and civ abilities in all the early announcement videos

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I think I'm gonna do a culture civ/victory for my first game. That way I can explore all the various government types and social policies. And also I won't discover whether they managed to make a non-retarded combat AI until my second game at least :unsmith:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Eiba posted:

Also, naturalists can only be bought with faith. A shitton of faith. So Russia actually has a pretty good national park game.

Wait, naturalists can only be bought with faith? That sounds arbitrary, and nonsensical as hell, not to mention making it absolutely mandatory to play a religious game if you want a culture victory.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I guess if I bought this off that Wingamestore place and already plugged in the codes I"m too late to jump on the 20% off Deluxe version huh? Oh well.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

golden bubble posted:

To be fair, Taizong of Tang had several pointless and costly defeats in Goguryeo, right after the Sui dynasty had been bankrupted by pointless and costly defeats in Goguryeo. Empress Wu may not have been as glorious elsewhere, but at least she could actually win a battle in Korea.

He also did the biggest and smartest thing to do when fighting in Korea.

He stopped.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cythereal posted:

Wait, naturalists can only be bought with faith? That sounds arbitrary, and nonsensical as hell, not to mention making it absolutely mandatory to play a religious game if you want a culture victory.

Well you're assuming that it's the only way to produce tourism. I'm sure you'll have other options, probably involving Great Artist-types.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Eiba posted:

If there was an unrestricted leaders mode... well, it'd be crazy unbalanced and there would be better combos I'm sure, but I'd definitely consider Teddy Roosevelt of Russia.

If we get an unrestricted leader mode then Pedro of Kongo would be ridiculous since he'd get double great person points and refund 20% of them for buying a new person. Qin Shi Huang of the Aztecs could stack builder bonuses. Mvemba of India could benefit from a lot of religious bonuses, but I wonder if Saladin of India could build every religious building in play in one holy site or if there's a one building per site limit. Barbarossa of Greece would have two extra policy slots from the start.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The White Dragon posted:

Well you're assuming that it's the only way to produce tourism. I'm sure you'll have other options, probably involving Great Artist-types.

Yeah, there's the seaside resorts and Great Works, but it sounds incredibly bizarre to make National Parks a function of religion of all things.

ThirdEmperor
Aug 7, 2013

BEHOLD MY GLORY

AND THEN

BRAWL ME
Having some amount of Faith is pretty essential to any kind of victory, really. A lot of the bonuses for religion are straight ported in from Civ 5 and have gotten much better with the new focus on wide empires.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Has anyone gotten their Steam code from gmg? Or when do you guys think it'll show up? If it's going to be like the next day, I have to decide if it's worth $16 to wait :).

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

What time will this launch Friday, can we use VPN to cheat the time or what?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Lorini posted:

Has anyone gotten their Steam code from gmg? Or when do you guys think it'll show up? If it's going to be like the next day, I have to decide if it's worth $16 to wait :).

I've got my steam key and preloaded the game

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Are there any gameplay videos of the review version made by someone reasonably good at Civ games and preferably also not annoying?

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
One thing I noticed from an LP that I don't think has been mentioned yet: Unique improvements are actually unique. If you conquer a foreign city, all the UIs around it are autorazed. This is in stark contrast to Civ V, where if the Dutch set up in a bunch of floodplains you can roll in and take those sweet, sweet polders for yourself.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
a

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 31, 2022

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The other thread rec is usually Marbozir

In the streams I've seen he makes less mistakes, but I only watched Filthy Robot's first videos where he was learning the game so that might be different now.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Edit: Filthy Robot totally failed the "not annoying" test for me with his general attitude. Seemed kind of smug and didn't take it well when he made mistakes.

Marbozir is great if you're okay with his accent.

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, there's the seaside resorts and Great Works, but it sounds incredibly bizarre to make National Parks a function of religion of all things.
Well, from a verisimilitude perspective I agree with you. And usually I'm all about the verisimilitude. But I do like that there's a massive late game faith sink. If you were playing a really faith heavy game, but for whatever reason a religious victory wasn't in the cards (someone else was also going faith heavy), and you get to late game... I mean sure you can keep buying great people at ever increasing patronage costs and that's good... but that's pretty much all you could do with faith.

It also means everyone who is playing a middling faith game doesn't end up just throwing all their now useless faith at great people and flooding that system. Even late game you will have to actively save up for a naturalist.

And, as for a verisimilitude argument... you could argue that post-enlightenment faith in this game (which never goes down, even as other systems represent the loss of religious fervor) can also represent your ability to harness general reverence or awe. Appreciating the majesty of nature can be spiritual.

If you're going for a tourism game without any faith at all, you can build crass seaside resorts, or humanistic museums to attract people and you'll be fine.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 18, 2016

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Lorini posted:

Got mine a little over 24 hours ago.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

splifyphus posted:

That depends on your definition of annoying! From what I've watched so far, Filthy Robot is probably the most experienced player with a review copy at the moment. Dude has like 5k hours of Civ V.

I'll check him out, thanks.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
a

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Mar 31, 2022

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Lorini posted:

I bought today and they gave me my key and pre-order key after I'd checked out.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

*watches 10 minutes of filthyrobot try to figure out why Germany has an extra military policy after repeatedly failing to read literally the first thing in their civilopedia entry*

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Ratios and Tendency posted:

*watches 10 minutes of filthyrobot try to figure out why Germany has an extra military policy after repeatedly failing to read literally the first thing in their civilopedia entry*

And it was also originally a twitch stream, so you know that everybody in the comments wast explaining to him exactly why it happened the entire time.

kittiesgomeow
Oct 13, 2008

This avatar cost on average $27.

cerious posted:

If anyone successfully held off on buying this game until now:

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/sid-meiers-civilization-vi-deluxe-edition/

Green man gaming has it for 20% off, including the deluxe edition. It doesn't show up on the website but in my cart it shows up as $63.99. I was going to buy it with $80 steam bucks but now I can spend those on the winter sale discounts instead and save more money than having to eventually add more steam wallet funds.

I think people generally know about the site's legitimacy but in case there are any doubts, I've bought steam keys for preorders for them back since 2013, and they always worked.

e; they're actually licensed by Firaxis, they show up on the "where to buy" right by Amazon on the official website.

Thanks for posting this :) I held out on buying but this is such a great deal!

Now I can be cool and pre-load too.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.

cerious posted:

If anyone successfully held off on buying this game until now:

https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/sid-meiers-civilization-vi-deluxe-edition/

Green man gaming has it for 20% off, including the deluxe edition. It doesn't show up on the website but in my cart it shows up as $63.99. I was going to buy it with $80 steam bucks but now I can spend those on the winter sale discounts instead and save more money than having to eventually add more steam wallet funds.

I think people generally know about the site's legitimacy but in case there are any doubts, I've bought steam keys for preorders for them back since 2013, and they always worked.

e; they're actually licensed by Firaxis, they show up on the "where to buy" right by Amazon on the official website.

This rocks! Just in time for when I decided to buy it.

If anyone else in California and has to play tax, the GMG Civ 6 Deluxe version is the same price as Steam's base version. You also get the keys immediately.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ive already pre loaded civ 6 through steam. Can i still refund it and do the gmg thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.

Jastiger posted:

Ive already pre loaded civ 6 through steam. Can i still refund it and do the gmg thing?

Yes. Steam is pretty awesome about pre-order refunds and you can usually get a refund the same day.