Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Just FYI the reviews you see so far came from some publisher review event. Doesn't mean they are wrong but if you want a review that is a bit more in depth you might want to wait a few days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Game owns and low-tech warfare is so much more fun than modern/futuristic

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Finally got my support rank 10 and the awesome gun that it unlocks. That thing is a beast.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Of course all review scores are loving meaningless because virtually all games are marked out of 3. (7-8-9) But the game is assuredly a 9. Its probably better than most games that get a 9 but it doesn't really do anything new except being so polished and atmospheric so it can't be higher than 9. I don't quite understand how it works so well this time around but the action is just so epic now, it often feels like I'm playing pre-scripted single player there is so much stuff going on around me.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Berious posted:

Just FYI the reviews you see so far came from some publisher review event. Doesn't mean they are wrong but if you want a review that is a bit more in depth you might want to wait a few days

its fun

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I'm actually pretty impressed with the campaign so far. It kind of reminds me of the Company of Heroes story campaign in the sense that it focuses on individual but realistic solders rather than either a faceless mass or One Really Awesome Dude No Seriously He's The Best.

All of the campaigns take extensive liberties with the capabilities of their protagonists, but the Arditi guy is pretty much the terminator. He runs up and down mountainous terrain in full platemail, with no rest, mowing down hundreds of Germans, while carrying 800 rounds in ammunition for a machinegun I presume normally operated by two people. Along with multiple other weapons.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Google Butt posted:

cool, are you an information technology professional making a decent six figures? you should tell us more

Remember the guy who posted his load out of knives and concealed carry handguns and flashlights that he fit in his metal show jeans for work? That's me.

In the future I'll make sure to not mention I am excited for a game to the point where I bought stuff I don't really need along with my piss poor justification in the thread for said game. How dare I.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Lazyfire posted:

Remember the guy who posted his load out of knives and concealed carry handguns and flashlights that he fit in his metal show jeans for work? That's me.

In the future I'll make sure to not mention I am excited for a game to the point where I bought stuff I don't really need along with my piss poor justification in the thread for said game. How dare I.

yikes

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Where do you guys hang out? Discord? Also this Operations gamemode is going to kill every other one because it's so good.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Baiard posted:

All of the campaigns take extensive liberties with the capabilities of their protagonists, but the Arditi guy is pretty much the terminator. He runs up and down mountainous terrain in full platemail, with no rest, mowing down hundreds of Germans, while carrying 800 rounds in ammunition for a machinegun I presume normally operated by two people. Along with multiple other weapons.

It's one of those things I feel I should be angry about, but in reality I'm all "gently caress yeah".

On a separate note, I'm a real snob for MY IMMERSION, and once details for this game came out, showing off all these automatic weapons and stuff part of me died a little inside. For a very brief moment I wished for only single shot rifles and total authenticity. I over that quickly, and in the game I'm actually loving what they went with. Is it all authentic in terms of equipment etc? Hell no. But is it authentic in the feel of being inside the first fully industrialised war with all new forms of horrific ways to murder a fuckton of people? Hell yes. For soldiers on the ground in WW1 it would almost have felt (on some level) like science fiction to be up against all this new technology.

Bottom line, I'm bad at shooter games, and yet even I've managed to get 6 melee kills up close and personal, so it's not as if everyone having a prototype SMG has suddenly brought an end to that feeling of brutal trench warfare.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Game is good, but it's no revolution. You can barely tell its WWI. It just feels like Battlefield 3/4, but prettier, which if you like Battlefield isn't a bad thing.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Google Butt posted:

anyone else feel like mortars are a little too spammy in operations
Only when you play defense.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Success in Operations as offence seems entirely dependent on whether your team is full of a bunch of impatient idiots that will hit space bar right after they die or not. I hope they disable the skip button in operations for however long it takes for the timer to go down.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Gas grenades are really great because even after watching their squad mates choke to death in a sickly yellow green cloud of doom, people STILL forget to put their gas masks on :gas:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Baiard posted:

The soldier type he based on certainly had the same suicidal zeal but they were much more lightly armed (some of them went in with just knives) trench raiders who died by the hundreds. I mean, he might have just lucked out one day and salvaged the gear from the dead support types in this WW1 Battlefield world.

super macho dude posted:

Gas grenades are really great because even after watching their squad mates choke to death in a sickly yellow green cloud of doom, people STILL forget to put their gas masks on :gas:

Dulce et decorum est always reminds me to press T.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Oct 19, 2016

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
This game is really good and fun. Then my Internet died and I cried :mad:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I hope they disable the skip button in operations for however long it takes for the timer to go down.
That'd be a massive QoL improvement. If there's a medic within 10m, disable that poo poo.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sorry if it's been asked over and over, but how are the campaign and multiplayer framerates (if they're even different) on PS4? Many dips under 60?

Being able to survive using a controller would be cool, but I'll go with PC if it's not too steady.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

So is this going to be like Bf4 with a million dlcs/split map communities? I would like all the maps but not to pay $100+ what is the pack for me?

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Sorry if it's been asked over and over, but how are the campaign and multiplayer framerates (if they're even different) on PS4? Many dips under 60?

Being able to survive using a controller would be cool, but I'll go with PC if it's not too steady.

It dips below 60 quite a bit. BF4 definitely was better performance wise.

Hopefully they can do some optimizations.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Sylink posted:

So is this going to be like Bf4 with a million dlcs/split map communities? I would like all the maps but not to pay $100+ what is the pack for me?

Well there will be a free map added in December. Who knows what comes after that. But yeah, 4 DLCs are announced and presumably 4 maps with each one. As per BF standard.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I have a problem. I can't equip the Medic Box, HE Mortar and a few other items. They are unlocked but there is no "BUY" button for them. When I am in game and I go to set my loadout none of those Items are available to equip.

What the heck am I doing wrong?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Raged posted:

I have a problem. I can't equip the Medic Box, HE Mortar and a few other items. They are unlocked but there is no "BUY" button for them. When I am in game and I go to set my loadout none of those Items are available to equip.

What the heck am I doing wrong?

I have the same problem. Managed to unlock one via the companion app. Someone please help us :shobon:

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

keyframe posted:

Finally got my support rank 10 and the awesome gun that it unlocks. That thing is a beast.

I honestly cant bring myself to like that gun, What's so good about it? I've been using the telescopic BAR and god drat is that fun.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

the game is good

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012
https://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield_one/comments/587css/why_does_germany_have_black_soldiers/

The comments are :wtc:

Just below that gem we find
https://www.reddit.com/r/battlefield_one/comments/5875tm/apparently_africans_were_the_most_abundant_race/

xyigx fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 19, 2016

Silhouette Wires
May 9, 2014

Never Knows Best
I started with "hey I'll pay five bucks to see if I like this". $$$ I caved and got the ultimate edition :saddowns: even though I'm really awful at this game. I've never been so bad at an fps before. In spite of all my pointless dying and confusion I'm having a lot of fun.

The game also runs pretty well on my computer with an 8 year old CPU. Very impressed with the visuals I'm getting

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Megasabin posted:

Game is good, but it's no revolution. You can barely tell its WWI. It just feels like Battlefield 3/4, but prettier, which if you like Battlefield isn't a bad thing.

Yeah, I am still salty about it being so BF4-y, but ultimately it's good to just get away from modern/near future and go back a bit.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I can't wait till they go back to a WWII setting and the soviet sniper class turns out to be a woman. The tears will be on a biblical scale.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

BigglesSWE posted:

I can't wait till they go back to a WWII setting and the soviet sniper class turns out to be a woman. The tears will be on a biblical scale.

It was already a thing in CoH2 for the Soviet snipers, and there have been plenty of female partisans in WWII games. Just no one has had you actually play as one, because then you would have to roleplay, oh god

E. Also apparently they are salty about the female announcer voice so *shrug*

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 19, 2016

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It was already a thing in CoH2 for the Soviet snipers, and there have been plenty of female partisans in WWII games. Just no one has had you actually play as one, because then you would have to roleplay, oh god

E. Also apparently they are salty about the female announcer voice so *shrug*

To be fair, I'm not a big fan of the voice either, because it sounds too "clean". I want it to be a real scratchy radio (male or female voice is highly irrelevant). I see what they went with, it being 100% clear and easy to pick up what's going on. Good for gameplay, but I want mah immersion.

Brb gonna play Italian Terminator.

Edit: I remember the British army voice commands were great in the BF 1942 mod Battlefield 1918. Things like "For the KING!" When capping a point, that sort of thing.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Yeah I wish the quality of the radio commands weren't digital MP4 level reminding us we're playing a game now rather than caring about the gender behind the thing, Reddit is bad gently caress it etc.

So yeah I finished up all the War Stories, I'll drop the spoiler tag on some stuff below scroll on down if you don't want to accidentally highlight them!

So yeah, first off I really kind of wish we got more than just a prologue with the Harlem Hellfighters, we never really get to know the narrator or even his name. Maybe that was intentional being the sole survivor of the prologue? dunno.

The tank crew stuff was pretty drat good, the bit with the messanger pidgeon was well done because goddamn it makes you think how irrelevant all that chaos is.

I feel a little saddened like with the Hellfighter chapter than the Runner one really glossed over the more of the insanity that was that campaign, we could have done with a few more ANZAC/Commonwealth characters. Perhaps a sort of epilogue with the surviving Runner taking part in leaving the beaches?

I actually quite enjoyed Friends In High Places, It really was a good idea how laidback the opening was in getting you to grips with how fighters work in this. The last bit with the airships is awesome cheesy, I bet the Wolfenstein guys are going to be pissed that they got there first. The main character is a bit of a dick though, especially with that ambigious ending. No Mans Land at night was really well done, considering how they are going with the less bloody but still frank telling of the conflict.

It would have been interesting in the first chapter of the Italian soldier story to have your armor being constantly needed to be scavenged or replaced and have you looting dead Austrian soldiers and the supply depots of the position you were attacking as I felt like I was cheating with so much damage being shrugged off due to the armor. Also, gently caress me the intro and ending of that one hits hard :smith:.

The balls on the main character in the last War Story, I am saddened though she was perhaps the most quiet of the characters. The open world Phantom Pain nature really clicked with the 2nd mission and I do hope if they do War Story DLC this one will be the template for them.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Had some fun times as a gunner earlier. Rolled with one guy for a bit, he's a fan of the attack plane. Got one tail gun kill at the end of the round, then next map we both leaped straight into another plane for more of the same. See a fighter moving onto our six as it comes out of the sun, then suddenly OH poo poo it's two fighters. And I loving nailed them both. Unf, so good.

Here, it's a 2 min vid showing that while I suck at shooters I make a great passenger. Pick me flyboy.

https://youtu.be/342XIonMEvk

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
I'm having a bad time spotting people and differentiating them against the rest of the map/landscape. I dunno if it's better graphics and the textures between environments and models that is giving me a hard time or what. It could just be I have a case of the olds too and/or need to play more than an hour to get into the swing of things.

Flying talk:

The fighter planes feel better from the beta, like they upped the velocity of their machine guns or something. In the beta I was rolling the attack plane to knock down other planes bc the fighters felt so anemic.

Tail gunners feel a little overpowered, I can swoop in at an angle on a bomber/attack plane and if I gently caress up at all and get behind them I get murdered. Also I've seen some weirdness with enemy planes teleporting around, not sure if that's me or something on the server.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Double Bill posted:

Game owns and low-tech warfare is so much more fun than modern/futuristic

But… how can you be tacticool without 400 different things that do the same thing, but are made by different war profiteers manufacturers?

Also, why is there no war profiteering in this game? How unrealistic. :colbert:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Honestly just spot things that will be major rear end aches to your team (tanks, planes, AT guns that are manned and the occasional super obvious sniper) and use the scouts flare gun if you want to guard an area with the spotting system.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Suez just feels kind of broken to me when starting on the eastern side of the map. Seems like every game our team just takes C then gets picked apart by the other team thats taken B for the rest of the match.

I'm not sure what it is about the map design but once B is taken it feels almost insurmountable to retake by the C team.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
The people who said you should unlock the automatico and just sprint around like an idiot hipfiring at people was completely right. I just ran through like 50 dudes on that forest map by pretending I was playing cs:go in the bunkers and trenches, assisted greatly by generously applied gas grenades and jumping (everywhere, but especially) around corners to get the drop on suckas

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Jesus, I actually just had a former buddy bug me while I was playing literally trying to stir up poo poo about black soldiers and him not wanting to play as one.
Why the gently caress is this such a big to-do? I don't even pay attention to player models 98% of the time... they're a target that I shoot at and that's it.

And you don't even look at your drat player model that often enough for it to be a big deal either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

The racial diversity gave me the wonderful experience last night of a squad of British medics running around in turbans marking things and throwing grenades to a chorus of, "OI MATE, WATCH YER 'EADS LOVES I'M TOSSIN A GRENADE!" and other great UK mannerisms. I was having a right good laugh I tell you what.