Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Bohemian Nights posted:

Any common consensus on what's the best pistol/sidearm? I'm liking the 1911 well enough but I haven't tried any of the other ones yet.

I think it's really whatever is most fun. I like the Gasser as assault because it has pretty high damage at mid range compared to the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Bohemian Nights posted:

Any common consensus on what's the best pistol/sidearm? I'm liking the 1911 well enough but I haven't tried any of the other ones yet.

The No. 3 Revolver is pretty good. Kills in 2 body shots at close range and uses a speedloader.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

The Gasser for assault owns, it takes years to reload though. I was playing Argonne forest last night and snuck around to the German's last flag (closest to their spawn), while melting some dudes with my SMG on the way. By the time I got to the flag, I was out of primary ammo. I wasted 3 dudes with the Gasser and felt like the coolest cowboy ever. The PING! sound when you get a headshot is so satisfying.

I'm running the Modello 1915 on support and it's pretty reliable in my experience, lower damage but accurate and fast firing. If you're playing Scout the only option is the Mars Automatic because it's a fuckin beast.

blindwoozie fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 20, 2016

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

Bohemian Nights posted:

I really like the Luger for hip fire but I'm not a fan of the irons.

The Mars is bonkers for medium range pistoling but the rate of fire is slow.

But my favorite right now is probably the British Bulldog because it does high damage and has a crazy ROF. Dangerously slow reload tho.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Biggles1111 from Sweden needs some troopers to join him on some Operations-fuckery.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Bohemian Nights posted:

Best sidearm is the sawn off, hands down. It's so good that I wish it was on every other class cause it is an absolute loving beast of a gun.

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

Bohemian Nights posted:

I've had good results with the Mars pistol for scout. The boost in power and capacity has saved me a few times.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Party Plane Jones posted:

Best sidearm is the sawn off, hands down. It's so good that I wish it was on every other class cause it is an absolute loving beast of a gun.

which class do you need to get 10 with for this? any of them?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I like to pick a sidearm to complement my primary. If it's a medic self-loader, then I'll go with something that can dump ammo faster. If I'm already using an SMG or LMG, then something that packs a punch like the Bulldog.

Alternatively, Kolibri all day every day until I get the mastery dog tag for it

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Booyah- posted:

which class do you need to get 10 with for this? any of them?

Level 10 with tanker unlocks it for tanker and pilot. Other than that, only the tank hunter has it.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I'm pretty flabbergasted there aren't more asian soldiers represented in this game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

404notfound posted:

I like to pick a sidearm to complement my primary. If it's a medic self-loader, then I'll go with something that can dump ammo faster. If I'm already using an SMG or LMG, then something that packs a punch like the Bulldog.

Alternatively, Kolibri all day every day until I get the mastery dog tag for it

Probably not being able to run Kolibri only servers is the real tragedy of the server rental options.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Man this "get 5 headshots in a round" medal is fuckin' hard and I don't know why. I always get 3. Every single time. Pretty much have to use a bolt action because otherwise the auto-aim seems to pull the reticule toward center mass unless you fight it, and half the time I walk a burst into their face and it doesn't register as a headshot anyway.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
How populated is Battlefield 4 these days? Was considering going back to that for a bit.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Man, the catchup mechanic of giving the losing team what is basically several free captures is rough. It seems like it needs to be tuned to be a lot wider of a range rather than up by 50 points.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Tracula posted:

How populated is Battlefield 4 these days? Was considering going back to that for a bit.

A quick check of Battlelog shows me about the same number of servers I've come to expect but BF1 isn't out for everybody until Friday so if its going to drop off that's when it will.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

404notfound posted:

What magnification level do you guys use the telescopic BAR at? And is it still good enough at hip fire to use while gassing all the things?

Also trying to decide between the 1895 trench and infantry for scout, or maybe I'll give the semi-auto M1903 a shot. Although my motivation to play scout has gone way down now that I've finally unlocked the Kolibri.

Try using K bullets with the 1903 experimental at least once. The gun itself is quite bad like the Kolibri but it's a neat touch nevertheless.

Snuffman posted:

Are battlepacks just skins this time around?

The scrap thing is just for building melee weapon skins, right?

Battlepacks are skins, yeah. They don't unlock the respective weapon so they're likely of dubious value.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

Knifegrab posted:

I'm pretty flabbergasted there aren't more asian soldiers represented in this game.

My DICE acquaintance got really coy when I mentioned that "man it would be so awesome if there was Japanese and German Far-Eastern troops" and I noticed one of the tank camo schemes is "Japanese" so who knows.

This is just correlating what's known in the skins list with what DLC we know is coming in the first two waves. French DLC, french camo pattern. Russian DLC, russian camo pattern. So I'm hoping there's a correlation there.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
I know streaming is held in pretty low regard around here, but what I can tolerate while watching futuristic games annoys me when watching BF1. Fancy overlays and facecams just don't fit the visuals or tone.

And they're always snipers or playing vehicles, too.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
My experiences so far:

-"you aren't a sniper? LOL"

-no joystick support (other than an xbox controller or some crazy 3rd party workaround). f u dice.

-dreadnaught is incredibly OP

-my hitbox seems to be the size of a tank.

Other than that, it's actually a pretty fun game. Waaaay more fun than SW:BF. There's actually teamwork involved.

i am kiss u now fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 20, 2016

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

DeliciousPatriotism posted:

My DICE acquaintance got really coy when I mentioned that "man it would be so awesome if there was Japanese and German Far-Eastern troops" and I noticed one of the tank camo schemes is "Japanese" so who knows.

This is just correlating what's known in the skins list with what DLC we know is coming in the first two waves. French DLC, french camo pattern. Russian DLC, russian camo pattern. So I'm hoping there's a correlation there.

Plus, the Russian and French Empire had asian colonial troops. Battlefield 1 is destined to be the most horrifically senseless mult cultural murderpot like the real war!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Can you even change your class customization outside of a round?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

When the game actually comes out on the 21st you'll be able to do it I imagine on their website.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/Demize99/status/788260953691422720

Demize99 on joystick support.

Edit: You can use the companion app/browser to customize loadouts outside of a round, but its missing items. Another dice community rep said that theyre gonna ad it to the main menu in game once its more stable.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Brazil also fought in WW1, what the gently caress dice are you even trying to be inclusive?!

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Can you seriously not change the medal you are working on mid game? Working on assault 10 dynamite kills then I get the wide open desert map and want to go scout - ooops, cant switch to scout medal progress...

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

i am kiss u now posted:

-dreadnaught is incredibly OP

The train and the battlecruiser dont seem to be too much of a gamechanger, but I swear, everytime those bastard doughboys get that zeppelin during the Ballroom Blitz map in Operations, our glorious Kaiser's army starts to fall apart.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

super macho dude posted:

The train and the battlecruiser dont seem to be too much of a gamechanger, but I swear, everytime those bastard doughboys get that zeppelin during the Ballroom Blitz map in Operations, our glorious Kaiser's army starts to fall apart.

I don't know if I've played that map yet but the zeppelin at least seems more vulnerable than the battleship. I just played Turkish campaign map and although we won, the two dudes who camped that thing the whole time racked up almost 80 kills each. The land artillery couldn't even hit it, either. Plus it was foggy.

Also, is there any benefit to completing the single-player campaign and collecting codexes and stuff aside from skins?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Knifegrab posted:

Brazil also fought in WW1, what the gently caress dice are you even trying to be inclusive?!

shut up barge fink

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

So are planes supposed to handle like cement filled refridgerators? Even with my flying mouse sensitivity at 200% it still feels like I bank at a crawl.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

DreamShipWrecked posted:

So are planes supposed to handle like cement filled refridgerators? Even with my flying mouse sensitivity at 200% it still feels like I bank at a crawl.

I'd recommend rebinding your flight controls. I personally prefer using keybinds for all movement axis, with the mouse being used for fine aim adjustments, basically as similar to war thunder as possible.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

https://www.battlefield.com/companion/career and the companion app

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Is anyone else running into the problem of weapons costing more than they display? I just bought a 200 WB gun and I went from 450 to 160 WB.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Plan Z posted:

Is anyone else running into the problem of weapons costing more than they display? I just bought a 200 WB gun and I went from 450 to 160 WB.

Sounds like that darn Swiss profiteering to me!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Why didn't DICE just keep the Battlelog plugin? It did everything well.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Plan Z posted:

I haven't had that problem but I was able to unlock the level 10 assault gun (Hellriegel 1915) at level 5 assault using the iOS companion app. The game says level 5 but the app says level 10. Anything I unlock in the app becomes available after restarting the game soooo.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

So I got the name of the narrator and survivor of the prologue War Story according to the Battlefield 1 website stats page, dude is apparently called Henry Johnson.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

You can bet your sweet rear end I'm "moving to New Zealand" tomorrow.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

i am kiss u now posted:

Also, is there any benefit to completing the single-player campaign and collecting codexes and stuff aside from skins?

Not sure what else you want.

They're codex entries too, pretty interesting ones at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Why didn't DICE just keep the Battlelog plugin? It did everything well.

A lot of Browsers stopped supporting the type of plugin that Battlelog uses, EA realized they need to move away from Battlelog as a result. Such a shame, Battlelog was great.

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

You can bet your sweet rear end I'm "moving to New Zealand" tomorrow.

Same, but Korea.