Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I thought the shadow effect while he was walking across the bridge was mega cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Akari is perfect :allears:

I thought the shogi scene was interestingly done (I skipped a lot of the shogi stuff in the manga) but I still don't really understand the game at all.

Looking forward to more Nikaidou!! And Shimada soon :kimchi:

there's so much I love about the manga and how Rei grows. The anime is doing a great job (thanks to color!) with the tonal shifts between apt/shogi life and the Kawamoto house. I look forward to when that starts to seep into the rest of his life, as they gradually pull him out of that shell and he finds himself with actual friends in shogi.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Erg posted:

I thought the shadow effect while he was walking across the bridge was mega cool

Both these and the water shadow effects from the first episode were amazing.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

The quality of anime food is important to me

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i watched the first episode today and then i watched the second one

this show is goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mulva posted:

Depending on how far into the story it goes, March Comes in Like a Lion might be the last anime to save anime this year. If they get really far into the story, it might save anime twice. Just a ridiculously beautiful story with about a million high points.

e: Possibly it will save anime 3 times.
On the last page but they'd have to cut a hell of a lot of stuff or rush it to get to what I think you're alluding to, and I think it's pretty clear they're not going to do that.

That being said, I'm not entirely sure where it'll end in relation to the manga, 22 episodes right?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Captain Invictus posted:

On the last page but they'd have to cut a hell of a lot of stuff or rush it to get to what I think you're alluding to, and I think it's pretty clear they're not going to do that.

That being said, I'm not entirely sure where it'll end in relation to the manga, 22 episodes right?
If it sticks to two chapters per ep, the anime will likely adapt up to the end of the Souya vs Shimada arc.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...

Bless this child

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

I could stare at this forever.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Sonata Mused posted:

Bless this child

Momo is precious and perfect and I will loving murder anyone who makes her cry.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Mikl posted:

Momo is precious and perfect and I will loving murder anyone who makes her cry.

You'd make her cry with your unwanted violence.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

hosed-up opinion: I don't like the mouths in this otherwise excellent anime, they look weird and unnatural.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I do notice the MC mouth is stuck in a permanent :(

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

You know, I realized something watching this--I honestly prefer watching quiet character dramas as anime to reading them as manga. If you're going to invest so much into little moments of dialogue or scene-setting, the voices & music help a lot. Consider me hyped for this one.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Araki posted:

hosed-up opinion: I don't like the mouths in this otherwise excellent anime, they look weird and unnatural.

This is how I feel about Alderamin, but it's the noses, not the mouths... I can get behind 3-Gatsu's look because it's obviously stylistic and highlights the MC's depression (and the Elder Sister's... something? Her lines toward the end of that last episode hinted that she might be sitting on some issues herself... I mean, she works at a bar and is adept at handling drunks, so there's obviously some hidden depths there...), so I can dig it.

vv: And where is Dad, I wonder? He is implied to have never actually been part of the picture...

resurgam40 fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 20, 2016

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

resurgam40 posted:

(and the Elder Sister's... something? Her lines toward the end of that last episode hinted that she might be sitting on some issues herself... I mean, she works at a bar and is adept at handling drunks, so there's obviously some hidden depths there...)
I imagine it must be tough to be the sole maternal figure to your two younger sisters after your mother and grandmother have died.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Hina's crying broke me. I remember being sad about the scene in the manga but how it was animated and that couple seconds of silence just HURT. Totally made me cry a little.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Yeah, I'm... with you. :sympathy: Totally needed a minute myself.

However, it is good that Rei saw it and reacted as he should. Becoming involved with this family is helping him and drawing him back into feeling his feelings, and even his rivalry/sorta-friedship with ... um, Harunobu, I think, is chubby kid's name? seems to be softening him a little.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
As someone who doesn't know anything or care about shogi at all, the first half of this episode was starting to push me away a bit.

The second half dragged me right back in though. God drat these characters just feel so good. I don't know anything about the manga but I hope that this is a story about Rei learning how to stop suppressing his emotions all the time.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There is a shitload of shogi, just fair warning, as it's his profession. In the manga I just skip past it, and it's perfectly serviceable without the shogi stuff, though if you enjoy that stuff I hear it's great.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Captain Invictus posted:

There is a shitload of shogi, just fair warning, as it's his profession. In the manga I just skip past it, and it's perfectly serviceable without the shogi stuff, though if you enjoy that stuff I hear it's great.

Yeah, I can't really fault the anime about shogi for being about shogi. So long as the rest of the show continues being this good, I can deal with the parts I don't particularly care about.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I can safely say that it is good because of and in spite of shogi.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I can't believe SHAFT cut all the shogi out of the adaptation so they could fit in more moe

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Rangpur posted:

You know, I realized something watching this--I honestly prefer watching quiet character dramas as anime to reading them as manga. If you're going to invest so much into little moments of dialogue or scene-setting, the voices & music help a lot. Consider me hyped for this one.

I'm 100% the same way. The manga is great but this medium lets them really make the small moments of 'oh poo poo he actually spoke to someone like a normal person he must feel super secure with them' or 'that thing she said almost certainly will stick with him for a while' stand out. I still love the comic but these kinda slow boil quiet stories are drastically improved with actual voices and all.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
just checking, the people in the background of the department store rooftop, were they rei's family?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I have no particular interest in shogi, but both its presentation within the story and the way it often reveals insights into various characters is fascinating and even riveting/moving.

Ali Alkali
Apr 23, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

just checking, the people in the background of the department store rooftop, were they rei's family?
probably not, since rei didnt start to pour himself into playing shogi until after his family died.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
People who don't like shogi are the best people to watch this show.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Very pretty but I was extremely bored by the end of episode 2. Might watch episode 3 before deciding whether to drop it unless it's just more of the same

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

March Comes In Like A Lion!!!!!!!! Actually a pretty good sports drama, + tits

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I probably couldn't care less about competitive Eastern Shatranj (I actively hate competitive Western Shatranj) if I tried and I still think this show is amazing because of, you know, everything else that happens in this show and also everything else happening during the scenes when they're playing that aren't the game itself.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

All of the "I don't like (sport) but I like this anime!" posts are a p common sports anime experience, you don't need to preface your enjoyment with it!

This and Yuri On Ice don't have all those positive posts 'round here because ADTRW is full of shogi players and ice skaters, that's for sure.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

harunobu was the main part of ep2 that actively annoyed me, but after this week he's probably my favorite character. really hope he gets through the series okay :ohdear:

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

He's a sweet pea. You will enjoy next week, I think. I hope that's not a spoiler?!?

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Srice posted:

All of the "I don't like (sport) but I like this anime!" posts are a p common sports anime experience, you don't need to preface your enjoyment with it!

This and Yuri On Ice don't have all those positive posts 'round here because ADTRW is full of shogi players and ice skaters, that's for sure.

I think the difference is that even without any knowledge of figure skating, I can appreciate how pretty the routines are in that show. With Shogi I honestly can't tell what's going on when they're showing the game being played. It's all completely meaningless to me. So it's harder for this show to reach me, and the fact that it does so is very impressive.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Xinder posted:

I think the difference is that even without any knowledge of figure skating, I can appreciate how pretty the routines are in that show. With Shogi I honestly can't tell what's going on when they're showing the game being played. It's all completely meaningless to me. So it's harder for this show to reach me, and the fact that it does so is very impressive.

That's fair. It's just a frustration I have with discussion of sports series in general, admittedly.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I don't know shogi and I never really had an issue with the matches in this series cause they're not really technical. like I don't know the significance of individuals moves, but it also never dwells on individual moves or strategy surrounding them and mainly just paints a picture of the rythym of the match through dialogue/internal monologue.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

I look forward to when Rei tries to teach Hina shogi, and Nikaidou busts out his ridiculous self-published awesome shogi manual, because I actually understood the game a little after that.

Is that next episode?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
At the pace they're going at now, either episode 7 or 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LxeH36_SxM

this is for flaps, but anybody who would like stuff thats thematically resonant with march lion might like it also

• Locked thread