Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
I like how, despite the gameplay being sluggish on my laptop, Firaxis has finally learned what threading is. The UI is slick as hell while turns are processing.

Shame the Mac build isn't out yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Brendan Rodgers posted:

How do I upgrade a unit when it tells me the upgrade is available it seems unintuitive.

Select the unit and click the upgrade icon that should be directly above the unit icon. Should be the furthest left icon.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Also, you need to be in your own territory to upgrade your units.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
a

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 31, 2022

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

BinaryDoubts posted:

The scale option is greyed out.

Eh? Hmm. IIRC, Civ V won't let you adjust that with a game loaded. If you haven't already, try it from the main menu.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Game is great. I love the way the civs don't just give you bonuses, they really alter the way you play.

Playing as the aztecs right now and it's so fun. I picked a fight with a city state to grab some workers, then took the city. I got a little antsy because my empire needed more slaves builders, so I took advantage of some escalating tensions between myself and Gorgo to start raking in builders.

I'm playing on emperor, which means enemy civs have +2 to combat, and Gorgo's units specifically were more powerful than appearances would suggest she pumped culture and got some good civics. Fun fight. The AI's combat quality seems to be on a level similar to V, although I haven't seen as many Hoplites as Sparta should be making really.

Montezuma's luxury and amenity bonuses allow him to go a sort of medium wide-tall very easily and it's all very cool. Excited to see how my play is different with the next civ, after I get through this one.

Other notes: Eurekas are good fun, government types are fun too. I've just started getting into the district game but it looks like you can do some fun stuff with them. The little barbarian scout minigame is interesting too.

Another interesting thing, I can pretty easily stomp through emperor in V but in VI it feels more like immortal. The fights would be a lot harder if the Aztecs weren't geared for it, and I'm not really leading by any definitive measure.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Impressions on reddit the AI is better than that stream yesterday would seem to have indicated.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

LightWarden posted:

Also, you need to be in your own territory to upgrade your units.

This might be bugged - the only reason I have lasted as long as I have in this stupid war is that my troops in enemy territory can tank three horsemen attacks, level up, and then I can promote heal them to keep them in the fight.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Any of you havers using a steam controller? If so, is it decent?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
How is everyone playing this? Are there a lot of video game reviewers in this thread?

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

BinaryDoubts posted:

This might be bugged - the only reason I have lasted as long as I have in this stupid war is that my troops in enemy territory can tank three horsemen attacks, level up, and then I can promote heal them to keep them in the fight.

promote != upgrade

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

I rolled Germany :godwinning:

how do i rename my cities

redreader posted:

How is everyone playing this? Are there a lot of video game reviewers in this thread?
:japan:

Krazyface posted:

Mandatory auto unit cycling, are you for real?

I know what you mean, "scroll at screen edge" only works at the gold bar right underneath the top-of-screen UI. If you're trying to scroll the screen up at the actual top edge of the screen, it won't happen. It's a liiiiiiitle dumb.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 20, 2016

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Mandatory auto unit cycling, are you for real?

ed: oh, speaking of which:
https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/58jag3/autounitcycle_fix/

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 20, 2016

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

oh, vpn's then?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

theres a will theres moe posted:

Any of you havers using a steam controller? If so, is it decent?

That's a good word for it. The cursor is a little too fast and I can't find a way to slow it down, but it works well overall. Mostly I just keep loving up and press the enter (right paddle) instead of right click (right shoulder). But that's on me.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Catherine de Medici keeps getting mad at me because I'm not using espionage. In the Classical era.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Mayor Dave posted:

Catherine de Medici keeps getting mad at me because I'm not using espionage. In the Classical era.

I think delegations count for this purpose but I'm not entirely sure. But generally the AIs agendas seem to be wonky. Phillipe complimented me for being rich and then a few turns later mocked me for being poor when I hadn't even spent any of my gold. (I assume this was his hidden agenda?)

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I think delegations count for this purpose but I'm not entirely sure. But generally the AIs agendas seem to be wonky. Phillipe complimented me for being rich and then a few turns later mocked me for being poor when I hadn't even spent any of my gold. (I assume this was his hidden agenda?)
Yea. It's in comparison so he must have found some gold or something.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I think delegations count for this purpose but I'm not entirely sure. But generally the AIs agendas seem to be wonky.

That's interesting, if true. Maybe she measures espionage by access level to other civs. Perhaps delegations and getting rumors through trading add toward appeasing her agenda.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

redreader posted:

oh, vpn's then?

no, like, when i post stupid poo poo in japan.jpg i do so as a gaijin

montezuma got mad at me for building a camp on elephants, he's gonna fuckin' get it :black101:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

xgalaxy posted:

Impressions on reddit the AI is better than that stream yesterday would seem to have indicated.

It seems like, hilariously enough, the AIs were less aggressive than usual in the AI game they ran. Maybe had something to do with it being King difficulty as well.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Are you folks able to get it to look relatively nice on lower settings? While I'm in the process of a new desktop build, my laptop is a couple years old. Has a GTX 965M and a i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz. Just wondering if I'll be able to get this thing to play well or if I should just wait till I have something more powerful to play it with. It meets the minimum requirements but I know Civ games can become a giant slog on some systems.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

It seems like, hilariously enough, the AIs were less aggressive than usual in the AI game they ran. Maybe had something to do with it being King difficulty as well.

I'm on King at the moment and the AI seems sufficiently aggressive, and able to take cities as well. Oddly enough, they won't declare on me though I want them to and I've only got like 4 units. I watched Saladin steamroll his closest neighbor before turn 70ish with a huge gaggle of warriors. Seems the AI doesn't care much for Archers

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 20, 2016

cams
Mar 28, 2003

so far, i am a big fan of rome in this game.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

My laptop is below min spec and I just booted up a small map on low settings to test and it plays fine.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Oh, something that's not been talked about so much so far:

Strategic view is gorgeous! It's so good! I'm tempted to just play in strategic view.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
While being a good peaceful Arabia trying to build up some science and faith, I got attacked and steamrolled by a Tomyris who had just open-bordered with Japan, and was smart enough to bring her horses through Japan's territory instead of trying to jam them through the one-tile-wide mountain pass much closer to her that I had units near but not quite blocking yet.

So many horses.

A+, would lose again to Tomyris blitz.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

So far it seems like the people who booted up a non war focused civ and try to play like civ v have been having some trouble. I probably would have been flattened by Gorgo if I wasn't spamming Eagle Warriors, which are fantastic.

Brannock posted:

Whoa, you aren't kidding. I think this is actually a lot more readable than the standard 3D view.

It's sort of difficult to pick which view looks better in my opinion, I really like the standard view and will probably stick to that because that's just how civ is played, but the 2D art is very nice and really plays into that map effect.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 20, 2016

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Oh, something that's not been talked about so much so far:

Strategic view is gorgeous! It's so good! I'm tempted to just play in strategic view.

Whoa, you aren't kidding. I think this is actually a lot more readable than the standard 3D view.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ahaha, drat, religious combat will take some getting used to. I just had a game where I started right next to Saladin, and fairly early in the game he suddenly started throwing shitloads of missionaries at me. I told him to knock it off and he agreed, but then immediately ignored that promise and kept on converting my people. I bought as many apostles as I could afford and tried to kill his missionaries, but I could only ever kill one of them at a time while the rest just swarmed around and did their thing unimpeded.

In the end I managed to make him promise to quit proselytising again and this time it apparently stuck. With my remaining Faith I bought myself an Inquisitor to root out his influence, used it on my capital, and... removed what was left of my own religion. Because as it turns out even the founding city of a given religion will produce religious units of a different religion once converted. Which means that with his one blitz, Saladin had actually managed to knock me out of the religion game for good. That early in the game I only had the one holy site, and there was no time to pull up another somewhere else before he converted the rest of my cities.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

So far it seems like the people who booted up a non war focused civ and try to play like civ v have been having some trouble. I probably would have been flattened by Gorgo if I wasn't spamming Eagle Warriors, which are fantastic.

That's pretty much exactly what happened to me, yeah. I had an army, but it wasn't nearly as big as hers was; I had three cities, but two were fairly small as they hadn't been founded for long, and was suzerain of two city-states, while she had just conquered three city-states that I saw (and I couldn't see all of her territory) and had a couple founded cities also. I'd assumed that the terrain would slow her down if she wanted to invade, but I hadn't taken into account her making friends with Japan.

It was a surprise. That AI is not at all as passive as the stream made it look.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Prism posted:

That's pretty much exactly what happened to me, yeah. I had an army, but it wasn't nearly as big as hers was; I had three cities, but two were fairly small as they hadn't been founded for long, and was suzerain of two city-states, while she had just conquered three city-states that I saw (and I couldn't see all of her territory) and had a couple founded cities also. I'd assumed that the terrain would slow her down if she wanted to invade, but I hadn't taken into account her making friends with Japan.

It was a surprise. That AI is not at all as passive as the stream made it look.

Yeah back in V when I was doing a nonmilitary start I'd have like 2 or 3 archers as my entire defence squad for a long time. Looks like in VI everybody's expected to do some rough and tumble in the opening act. As it should be.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Beyond Earth was a dumb little side project that was obviously going to suck as soon as they started talking about it.

It was different and fun even if many of the ideas didn't work out so well. A number of refinements and ideas from Beyond Earth have made it into Civ 6, and I'd like to see Firaxis give Beyond Earth more attention or take a crack at another interesting and different idea from the norm in the future.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I probably would have been flattened by Gorgo if I wasn't spamming Eagle Warriors, which are fantastic.

I'm worried about those Eagle Warriors yeah. In your expert opinion, should I just go with my favorite archer murderphalanx hiding behind a couple wareiors or should I wait for spearmen to take on that UU? What's their ability, aside from being roided out 30% stronger Warriors?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Finally got the vpn to work by telling Windows 10 I was using a vpn and creating a new network. So France started a city exactly where I was gonna start a city. She had already declared war and sued for peace once, so I went in and took the city. I'm done now but there doesn't seem to be a way for me to end the war. There's no buttons or clickables when I click on her. Any ideas?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
War carts are fun and good.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Is there an option for a touchscreen mode like V had added to it? Hoping for some couch Civ with my surface.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
Randomly assigned Germany (HRE) and didn't think much of his special ability. Started the game, shat out two warriors and three slingers immediately then took down two nearby city-states. gently caress building settlers.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
The early reports that the AI is happily stomping lovely noobs are making me feel a lot better about my decision to preorder (at a $15 discount).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

I'm worried about those Eagle Warriors yeah. In your expert opinion, should I just go with my favorite archer murderphalanx hiding behind a couple wareiors or should I wait for spearmen to take on that UU? What's their ability, aside from being roided out 30% stronger Warriors?

They can take your units as builders. Not sure on this, but I think they might also be strong against anti cavalry units.

Hm, I guess I'd try to get a good wall of archers and meat shields. Alternately, if you have some horses and aren't killed off before you can get chariots or horseman they do some nasty business to warriors of any stripe.