Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Kramdar posted:

Anyone get a email this morning about their paperwork on the settlement site having issues? I'm waiting for a callback from their 800 number, last estimate over two hours for a callback.

Not for me, nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Any recommendations for a front license plate tow hook mount for a mk7 GTI?

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Not for me, nope.

Well just FYI, if anyone wants to save being on hold or waiting on a callback they need to unlock people's accounts on the claim site in order to update any info by next Tuesday. They disabled their online chat support, and locked all info boxes that aren't password reset. I had all the documents up for weeks on that site, and they didn't process them until yesterday I guess.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

two_beer_bishes posted:

Any recommendations for a front license plate tow hook mount for a mk7 GTI?

I bought one from http://www.usmillworks.com/vw.html and it's pretty decent.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Kramdar posted:

Well just FYI, if anyone wants to save being on hold or waiting on a callback they need to unlock people's accounts on the claim site in order to update any info by next Tuesday. They disabled their online chat support, and locked all info boxes that aren't password reset. I had all the documents up for weeks on that site, and they didn't process them until yesterday I guess.

i dont know what this means

my documents have been uploaded for weeks and are still "under review"

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
https://claims.vwgoa.com/

If you have been there already, you can enter the VIN and your info for your TDI. They ask for you to upload your title, registration, and ID. They opened this up a few weeks back. And since uploading the docs, VW said that the docs were "under review" every time I would sign back in and check. As of Tuesday night/Wednesday morning, I guess everything "got reviewed". Also, they locked any accounts already filled out, from what I found out today.

Actually, the website is totally borked.

Kramdar fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 19, 2016

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

fknlo posted:

I bought one from http://www.usmillworks.com/vw.html and it's pretty decent.

Wow, the options really jack the price up on that one. Amazon has the Platypus mount for $79 but looks pretty flimsy especially compared to the US Millworks.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I mainly just need one in the event that I have to drive down town and park. Cops on the road don't give a poo poo if you don't have a plate, but metermaids will tag you every chance they get for no front plate.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
Different topic from the buyback... Need some advice for my mk5 GTI with the TSI. Five hours from home it refused to start. Local shop (local to where it died, anyway) believe they traced the fault to a sensor/module between the ignition and the starter, both of which check out fine. I forgot to write the name of the module, but they had to order it from the dealer and are having a hell of a time programming the "deluxe" features back in, so it's taking them a long time to get it running. They're closed for the day now otherwise I'd call to ask what module it was again... Because I want to do some homework on it. Any ideas? The place is a German shop and they seem to know their stuff, but said if they continue to have difficulty it'll have to go to the dealership to finish programming.

I'm mostly just eager to know what *needs* programming for the car to run, because I can make do with whatever so I can stop running up a rental car bill and get my little wagon back home. Any helpful terms to search for are appreciated.

(And good luck with all the buyback games!)

tehDiceman
Jan 10, 2013

BraveUlysses posted:

is it driveable? that's the only criteria to turn it in

in fact, you should halt any insurance action on this asap

Yes, but you say I should drive a buggered car for an indeterminate amount of time because some dumb woman couldn't put her phone down for five minutes? This is 100% not my fault and I will not drive a jacked car because of someone else's irresponsibility.

If they try to total it, lawyers can sort it out. I'll get mine, no matter if the check says volkswagon, progressive, or "idiot driver".

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

tehDiceman posted:

Yes, but you say I should drive a buggered car for an indeterminate amount of time because some dumb woman couldn't put her phone down for five minutes? This is 100% not my fault and I will not drive a jacked car because of someone else's irresponsibility.

If they try to total it, lawyers can sort it out. I'll get mine, no matter if the check says volkswagon, progressive, or "idiot driver".

THe difference is that some insurance payout is going to be the depreciated value of your vehicle as of the accident. Your VW check is going to be as of the week that all this poo poo came to light. I'm not certain, but I also think it might impact your restitution money. VW only gives you half of that if you sold the car, and getting a salvage title from your insurer might count as "transferring ownership" for that.

I mean, if you just can't bear the thought of driving a car with a munched rear end for a couple of months and are willing to throw money away to make that not happen then that's your prerogative. Me, I'd rather get a nice big check and just accept that some people on the road are going to see me driving a beat up car for a while.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
You're only getting that buyback money if you bring in a non totaled car so don't expect an insurance company or a lawyer to be able to get you the same sweet deal we are going to get from vw.

Drop the car off at the dealer and get a rental or buy your new car now but paying a lawyer will probably not end up working out in your favor

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

BraveUlysses posted:

You're only getting that buyback money if you bring in a non totaled car so don't expect an insurance company or a lawyer to be able to get you the same sweet deal we are going to get from vw.

Drop the car off at the dealer and get a rental or buy your new car now but paying a lawyer will probably not end up working out in your favor

Pretty much this, you are going to get hosed on fmv from insurance and only half the additional compensation.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I assume because I traded my TDI in 6 weeks before the shenanigans started I don't get a cut of the payout eh.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

veedubfreak posted:

I assume because I traded my TDI in 6 weeks before the shenanigans started I don't get a cut of the payout eh.

You get part of the restitution money even if you sold it. 50% iirc.

edit: just the restitution money, not the buy back money.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Cyrano4747 posted:

Cool.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

I think you only get 50% of the restitution money if you owned the car on some date in September 2015, and no longer own it now. If you sold the car before that date in September, you get nothing. Whoever bought that car gets the restitution money.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Orvin posted:

I think you only get 50% of the restitution money if you owned the car on some date in September 2015, and no longer own it now. If you sold the car before that date in September, you get nothing. Whoever bought that car gets the restitution money.

i think its this, why would you get money from a settlement that arose after fmv plummeted if you sold if before the fmv plummeted?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

i think its this, why would you get money from a settlement that arose after fmv plummeted if you sold if before the fmv plummeted?

That's what I was expecting. Which is rear end, cause if i kept the car another 2 months its value would have almost doubled. /wrist

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

That's what I was expecting. Which is rear end, cause if i kept the car another 2 months its value would have almost doubled. /wrist

You were bragging a year ago about how good of a deal you got when you traded it in.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
He just had to have that gti. I don't blame him, they are far superior to a tdi.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

The quickest way to turn sour on a TDI is to drive one. "Low end torque" my loving rear end, feels almost as slow as a Prius compared to the GTI or even the base golf.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Kramdar posted:

https://claims.vwgoa.com/

If you have been there already, you can enter the VIN and your info for your TDI. They ask for you to upload your title, registration, and ID. They opened this up a few weeks back. And since uploading the docs, VW said that the docs were "under review" every time I would sign back in and check. As of Tuesday night/Wednesday morning, I guess everything "got reviewed". Also, they locked any accounts already filled out, from what I found out today.

Actually, the website is totally borked.

I got an email from vwgoa saying my stuff was accepted and being reviewed today.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
:same:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Pryor on Fire posted:

The quickest way to turn sour on a TDI is to drive one. "Low end torque" my loving rear end, feels almost as slow as a Prius compared to the GTI or even the base golf.

On the other hand it's kind of fun to squeal the tires on the turnout from my neighborhood and get stares from the joggers.

Or at any given stoplight for that matter.

Doubly so since I don't give two shits about the tires.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

PabloBOOM posted:

Different topic from the buyback... Need some advice for my mk5 GTI with the TSI. Five hours from home it refused to start. Local shop (local to where it died, anyway) believe they traced the fault to a sensor/module...
(And good luck with all the buyback games!)

Just following up on my own post in case it helps someone down the line... It was the central electronic control module. Decided that 7 years is just too much and died. At least the shop was nice and didn't extort lots of labor money from me, even though resetting everything just right seems to be time consuming.

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

Cyrano4747 posted:

I have to admit I want to take a baseball bat to all my lights and the mirrors right before I drop it off

I won't because I'm a pussy but it's a nice Walter Mitty fantasy.

I broke a mirror off a couple weeks ago and haven't gotten around to replacing it yet, so I'll let you know what happens when I turn my car in. I've got the replacement sitting in my closet, but :effort: VW just sent me an email saying they reviewed my documents and they all check out and now they're going to review them even more. Thanks VW.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
did your email look like this?

quote:

We have reviewed the documents you submitted as part of your claim with reference number XXXXXXXX. Currently, your application contains all of the necessary documentation to determine your eligibility. We are now determining your eligibility and will inform you whether you are eligible to participate in the VW/Audi Diesel Emissions Settlement Program after the Settlement Program becomes effective.

i dont think they're going to scrutinize it more

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

BraveUlysses posted:

did your email look like this?

i dont think they're going to scrutinize it more

They're probably not, but if they were smart they'd just have a computer look over everything.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Huh, I haven't seen any emails from them and looking at the site all my documents are still being reviewed.

Stopped by the dealership I got my car from and they hadn't heard anything new about the buyback. Gotta go back there in a couple days, since I showed up too early and the person I needed to talk to about returning my warranty wasn't in yet. Hopefully they will get this poo poo moving soon.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

slurry_curry posted:

Huh, I haven't seen any emails from them and looking at the site all my documents are still being reviewed.

Stopped by the dealership I got my car from and they hadn't heard anything new about the buyback. Gotta go back there in a couple days, since I showed up too early and the person I needed to talk to about returning my warranty wasn't in yet. Hopefully they will get this poo poo moving soon.

poo poo that reminds me I need to do the same thing.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

MarcusSA posted:

poo poo that reminds me I need to do the same thing.

Yea, I have been meaning to do it for a while, but seeing as I am just about to hit 3 years, I am trying to get it in before the factory warranty expires. Also why I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow to get the 30k mile service done. I am tempted to tell them not to wash the exterior when I drop it off, haven't washed it in at least a year, and I kinda want to leave it as dirty as possible for when it gets returned.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

slurry_curry posted:

Yea, I have been meaning to do it for a while, but seeing as I am just about to hit 3 years, I am trying to get it in before the factory warranty expires. Also why I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow to get the 30k mile service done. I am tempted to tell them not to wash the exterior when I drop it off, haven't washed it in at least a year, and I kinda want to leave it as dirty as possible for when it gets returned.

Ah, a subtle commentary on what VW did to the environment.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
finally it's been approved, now the waiting game for when we get to turn the cars in and how long we might have to wait for the checks.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

BraveUlysses posted:

finally it's been approved, now the waiting game for when we get to turn the cars in and how long we might have to wait for the checks.

Thats the real question now. I hope that they will get their poo poo together enough to get you a check when you turn the car in, but something tells me that it will not be that simple. O well, I guess I can at least take my wife out car shopping to at least decide what the replacement will be.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Are you guys with buyback vehicles planning on bailing out from VW after the whole fiasco, or would you consider another VW?

I ask because I'm sort of interested in either the GTI or the new Golf AllTrack once the manual transmission launches. I've always been wary of VW due to internet stories, but they are literally the only company in the USA selling a "fun" AWD manual trans wagon. The next closest thing is the Mini Countryman All4, and, well, gently caress that. And Subaru doesn't sell the WRX wagon anymore.

If I ditch the AWD preference, the GTI ticks a lot of the right boxes for me, too. As far as competitors go, the Mazda3 is awesome in a lot of ways but is way down on power in comparison (RIP Mazdaspeed3), and the Focus ST is lacking in refinement and grown-upness that is so nice for a DD.

Am I dumb for even considering VW at this point? All the auto-journo reviews for anything MQB platform are always resoundingly positive, but the internet echo chamber has a VW hate boner. I'm somewhat used to it having owned a few BMWs that are not nearly as bad as the internet would lead you to believe.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 25, 2016

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

My wife and I are both done with VW even though we both love our cars.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i had sworn them off after this whole thing but the new '17 GTI sport model really looks it ticks all the boxes, limited slip, bigger brakes, sweet interior, no sunroof, no nav, bi-xenon headlights, 6 speed manual, 10 extra horsepower and 24/34mpg rating. 3000lbs and 220hp is faster than my 330i and way better fuel economy.

but i just cant stomach the financing right now...i dont see them putting 5k on the hood of the car.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

the new '17 GTI sport model really looks it ticks all the boxes, limited slip, bigger brakes, sweet interior, no sunroof, no nav, bi-xenon headlights, 6 speed manual, 10 extra horsepower and 24/34mpg rating. 3000lbs and 220hp is faster than my 330i and way better fuel economy.

This is almost exactly where I am at right now... have a 330, and drat it if the 2017 GTI sport isn't really appealing as a newer, slightly faster, more practical E46, despite being FWD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

My wife and I are both done with VW even though we both love our cars.

That's where we are as well.

edit: Well, I like the car. My wife wanted the Honda we test drove on the same day. Oops!