Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

raditts posted:

I really liked the Idea of Garth as Bobby Jr. but I guess the chance of starring in a Syfy zombie show was far too appealing for him.

In his defense it's a drat good Syfy zombie show. I really hope the whole British MOL stuff gets cleared up in an episode or two and then they provide the brothers support to rebuild the US arm of the organization. It would be fun to see a literal rebuilding season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

frgildan posted:

In his defense it's a drat good Syfy zombie show. I really hope the whole British MOL stuff I cleared up in an episode or two and then they provide the brothers support to rebuild the US arm of the organization.

Yeah, being helpful but slightly sinister would be a good balance, I think. It worked for Crowley and the Angel bosses.

During the past 10 years of poo poo the "Old Men" didn't want to get involved in American problems. That sounds a bit sinister.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

It's nice to see the boys (and mom) having trouble with actual trained hunters/MOL people. We all know Dean and Sam have had such a massive power creep up the ladder that it's nice to see they can still get smacked down once in a while.

I am a bit ambivalent on Springfield though. I really dug Cassifer because it was like he was channeling Pelligrino but Springfield seems to just be doing his own thing. Dunno if I like it yet or not.

What the hell was up with that picture in the journal though? It looks like Bobby, Cass, and Ash are all in it. Didn't notice till a friend sent me a screencap of it. Maybe we get some time travel issues this season?

When she was torturing Dean I wanted Sam to pipe up and say "You know he tortured people for 80 years in Hell, right?" :smug:

Springfield needs to channel Pellegrino IMO, but I'm not sure he's had enough time to do so. We've seen him a bit pissy, and I could hear Pellegrino doing that. Now we just need to see him as charming and snarky. The litmus test will be if he gets a scene with Sam. Kinda disappointed they couldn't at least do a Pellegrino cameo even as a voiceover when he was going to posses Vince.

Basically he needs to do this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMJM34Wc2vQ

and play Lucifer the same way. If not, then it's gonna be pretty lame.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I'm not liking Rick Springfield. I know he's been in shows over the years but he's a musician, not really an actor and that's how he comes across on screen. It wouldn't be bad if he wasn't playing a role that another actor before him had killed.

I know people hate Crowley's mom but I love their scenes together.

Also, I don't think I've wanted someone to get their comeuppance as bad as I do with the British lady.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I wonder what the reason why Pellegrino wasn't brought back as a recurring villain this season? Does he have another regular gig? It's not like he's uneager to come back, and he's always doing Cons and talking about the show on social media. Can't help but wonder if it's not his politics.

It sure as poo poo can't be worrying about in universe rules because they can handwave away anything--who knows what kind of vessels Crowley and Cas are supposed to be riding around in?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I read somewhere that he didn't like being in Vancouver so much, but I don't remember where.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Astroman posted:

Can't help but wonder if it's not his politics.

What's up with his politics?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Some Numbers posted:

What's up with his politics?

Wikipedia says he's an Objectivist Ayn Ran fan.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

He's pretty hardcore too. He's trying to start his own political party or something. I can see that not going down too well in Hollywood.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

KilGrey posted:

Also, I don't think I've wanted someone to get their comeuppance as bad as I do with the British lady.

Its impressive how quickly they managed to make my reaction to her "Hmm, she's an interestingly morally ambiguous character who I could see adding a fun new element to the show, sort of a different spin on the Bela idea" into "Will someone please kick that woman's rear end?"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

STAC Goat posted:

Its impressive how quickly they managed to make my reaction to her "Hmm, she's an interestingly morally ambiguous character who I could see adding a fun new element to the show, sort of a different spin on the Bela idea" into "Will someone please kick that woman's rear end?"

It just seemed stupid. You're a hot chick who knows magic, couldn't you at least have a go at trying "Hello, fellow good guy!" before going right to kidnapping and torture? Even if you believe the Winchesters are hopeless fuckups, what would it hurt to try social engineering for a few days first?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That just seems to be the MoL MO. Like every thing we saw from them is that they're not big on the subterfuge and such and instead go for a very cold, surgical approach to monster hunting. I assume that even though she thought the Winchesters were fuckups she still respected them enough to not fall for some simple magic trick or seduction game, since she does know their history. And even if that would work at some point she'd have to reveal herself to be asking all the important and personal questions including about stuff like Ruby.

And it was established that she was part of an extremist wing of the MoL who have been wanting to kill the Winchesters for awhile.

She was an rear end in a top hat but the end result of her mission was always probably Sam as a prisoner answering her questions before he dies. Obviously she never expected Sam to withstand the torture and the magic seduction that could "melt his brain" was an audible she called, but also something she was willing to go with since she plans to kill Sam. And hell, that was making a little progress before Sam's mom saved the day. She even got the jump on Dean and had boxed out Cas.

So really, she may be an rear end in a top hat but her plan wasn't that bad. It just failed to take into account that the sister of God might resurrect Dean's hunter mom in thanks for him being such a sweet first boyfriend and family therapist. Because with out Mary Sam and Dean are still probably being tortured/magic mind hosed in a dirty basement.

Unless that other guy had a problem with it. And his objections seemed more procedural than ethical.

I'm not criticizing the show when I say I hated her. She's a villain, and the show did a really good job establishing her as a very hateable villain quickly. Which should make it kind of fun when the Winchesters are forced to work with her when we hate her as much as they do.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Yeah, she's not a bad character. She just happened to take the worst possible approach. The boys would have been cautious but pretty open to the continuing existence of the London MoL.

Talking about how hosed the hunters are in north america wouldn't have been state secrets at all, they would have been happy to talk shop about how disorganized the remaining hunters have become after the disasters of the last 10 years. The lack of organization is no secret at all. Eventually she would have gotten down to wanting the passcodes and the names of the few hunters thought to still be alive, which would have been a bit dicier. But honestly if she'd just been cool and worked a few cases with them they probably would have considered her an ally. Once she reached the limit of what they were willing to share with a new ally then she could have taken them in for torture to get the last few secrets out of them.

By pulling a gun first thing she established herself as an enemy, which made Sam clam up. Then she tries torture on a guy who has endured decades of continuous torture.

Believing Dean was dead, that was just dumb though. Why would you believe your prisoner when he tells you people are dead?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Well, her assignment was literally to introduce herself and work with them to let them know about the overall MOL and whatnot. She just decided to jump the gun and torture Sam cause, well, she's a bitch I guess.

I think the only reason that Dean didn't put a bullet in her head was the fact they could have "questioned" her as well.

Wondering when we are gonna meet the "horrible" Mr. Ketch.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Well, her assignment was literally to introduce herself and work with them to let them know about the overall MOL and whatnot. She just decided to jump the gun and torture Sam cause, well, she's a bitch I guess.

Or because

STAC Goat posted:

it was established that she was part of an extremist wing of the MoL who have been wanting to kill the Winchesters for awhile.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Nah, she could have played it out like they told her to, and then been like "Wow, Sam lets his guard down really easy, time to vent his skull" while Cass is out loving around with whatever his B plot is gonna be this season.

She just jumped the gun and went straight to "I'ma killify him" cause she's impatient. Hope the MOL hand her her rear end for it too. God I have never hated a villain in the show that god damned quick. Even ol' Yellow Eyes needed a few episodes for me to really dislike him.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Even ol' Yellow Eyes needed a few episodes for me to really dislike him.

Also he was literally a demon. He and Ruby and Meg at least have the excuse of being millennia-flayed parodies of God's forgotten souls.

She's just a person who apparently really doesn't like Sam and has an entire colony of bugs up her rear end over it.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Yeah, she went off script because she has some deep seeded hatred for the Winchesters and American hunters in general. They may seem backwater, but they stopped the loving apocalypse twice and when Chuck needed help, it wasn't the London MoL he went too. She's pretty dumb for not taking that into consideration.

Honestly, had she just knocked on the door and politely introduced herself they probably would have fallen all over themselves inviting her in. Even the grittier questions about Ruby and the like could have been handled easily by just saying something like, "I know this might be a hard topic, but we did get intelligence about certain things. If I'm going to be hunting with you and putting my life in your hands, I'd like the chance to ask some questions." While they've done some hosed up things, it's not like they are admitting to some awful secret that can never get out or would put people in danger if they told.

I wish they had the number for the London MoL corporate office and could call and tell them to come get their rabid dog.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/RuthieConnell/status/790322909940178945

:haw:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

M E G A C O V E N

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I guess I liked tonight's episode. But I'd really like a Thanksgiving episode where its just a clip show at dinner and her asking them everything that's happened, or her saying that she's read all of Chuck's novels asking wtf they've done.

Plus I'd like them both to have a better understanding of what she's going through since the guys have been dead multiple times and coming back later when the other has kinda moved on. Oh well.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Jensen and JDM are a bunch of dorks
https://twitter.com/JDMorgan/status/791762423103516672

https://twitter.com/JensenAckles/status/791766674814869504

:allears:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Wow that is the dumbest excuse yet as to why they can't have a third character around.

Plus the way she left, with no forwarding address or so much as a "Where are you going?" made me just think what an rear end in a top hat. Just dropped that bomb and ran off, the gently caress?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
:siren:SHOTS FIRED:siren:

https://twitter.com/mishacollins/status/791855719679008768

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Blazing Ownager posted:

Wow that is the dumbest excuse yet as to why they can't have a third character around.

Plus the way she left, with no forwarding address or so much as a "Where are you going?" made me just think what an rear end in a top hat. Just dropped that bomb and ran off, the gently caress?

Where the gently caress is she even going to go? She's penniless with nothing but the clothes on her back and a cell phone. I suppose she could have taken one of the cars from the MoL garage. What is she going to do, go be a waitress or something?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Blazing Ownager posted:

Sure it will be part of the season long plot

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Facebook Aunt posted:

Where the gently caress is she even going to go? She's penniless with nothing but the clothes on her back and a cell phone. I suppose she could have taken one of the cars from the MoL garage. What is she going to do, go be a waitress or something?

Yeah at least point her in the direction of Jody Mills or something, and letting her know if she knew Bobby that he's dead and gone, oh yeah HER FATHER is dead as well.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jiro posted:

Yeah at least point her in the direction of Jody Mills or something, and letting her know if she knew Bobby that he's dead and gone, oh yeah HER FATHER is dead as well.

Didn't both her parents die before her? I thought Yellow Eyes killed them.

Then her dad was . . . resurrected or something to lead that dodgy hunter crew? Probably best to just leave that whole incident out.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
"That whole dodgy crew" was literally what was left of her family.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

"That whole dodgy crew" was literally what was left of her family.

Weren't they up to something though? I didn't pay much attention to their subplot, but I think they were working for someone? Maybe helping to hunt down and capture alphas for Crowley or something? Not totally good guy stuff.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Gramps was as part of a deal with Crowley, but the rest of the crew was just following good ol gramp's orders since he was the family patriarch and all. I think there was one spy/demon guy, but he got smote pretty early in the season. As far as they knew they were just hunting big ol' meanie "HEAD HONCHO" kinda monsters and capturing em.

That season has one of my favorite scenes in it. Crowley has the alpha shapeshifter, and he is waving around a dagger that's supposed to be PURE IRIDIUM, talking about how it'd be cheaper to drop a castle on the dude.

Only thing is, iridium is INCREDIBLY dense, like 8x lead dense. poo poo is HEAVY. That knife, if it was PURE IRIDIUM would have weighed about 50-100lbs easy. At the low end, that knife would cost about 475k in today's money. It really would have been cheaper to drop a castle on the dude if you found a cheap one.

It's almost up there with The Avengers and the little cylinder they have that the guy just grabs one handed and loads up with no problems, and it'd actually weigh about 150lbs.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Oct 28, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Move to Florida with Rowena and be a professional cougar.

bobkatt013 posted:

Sure it will be part of the season long plot

At the end of which, of course, she will die again, because they couldn't possibly telegraph that any harder.

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Oct 28, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Blazing Ownager posted:

What is it with this show? Why is it so important to them that there never be any other hunters or other human allies around?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Tiggum posted:

What is it with this show? Why is it so important to them that there never be any other hunters or other human allies around?

Yeah, this was the stupidest "I must go now. My Planet needs me" bullshit I've ever seen. Mary was a great addition to the show. I was worried about how she'd work, but she was working great! And now she's gone. And what an absolute gently caress YOU that was to Dean. Holy poo poo, how loving cold--to be rejected by your own mother. It woudn't affect Sam as much but for Dean to lose her again, that's gotta mess him up. She basically said "yeah, my son Dean is dead to me and you're some weird guy I don't know."

:drat:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, and I know this puts me in the minority, I'm glad they did it.

If this had been a previous season, it'd have been months of her looking anguished and NO ONE SAYING ANYTHING while Sam continually bugs her to talk, and then she would wait until some random moment right before the mid season finale to leave a note and it'd be narrated by her over some weird music, with a montage of her driving some random car.

They didn't do that, so I'm happy. I really hope they keep the character around, and actually have her do her own thing against the british MOL for a bit. I'd love a mom centric episode.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

Has anyone ever asked them this at any con or anything?

I am absolutely baffled. The allies were one of the coolest loving parts of the original show. They were always heavily involved or in a related plot, always bouncing things off. Then they just went totally insane phobic of it.

Astroman posted:

Yeah, this was the stupidest "I must go now. My Planet needs me" bullshit I've ever seen. Mary was a great addition to the show. I was worried about how she'd work, but she was working great! And now she's gone. And what an absolute gently caress YOU that was to Dean. Holy poo poo, how loving cold--to be rejected by your own mother. It woudn't affect Sam as much but for Dean to lose her again, that's gotta mess him up. She basically said "yeah, my son Dean is dead to me and you're some weird guy I don't know."

:drat:

Precisely how I feel.

There's always a stupid reason, but that was the dumbest. I was thinking "You know, she's not the third character I'd picked for the A plot, but she's growing on me, I'm going to like having them FINALLY have at least SOMEONE around to bounce things off----- oh. gently caress you, show."

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Honestly, and I know this puts me in the minority, I'm glad they did it.

If this had been a previous season, it'd have been months of her looking anguished and NO ONE SAYING ANYTHING while Sam continually bugs her to talk, and then she would wait until some random moment right before the mid season finale to leave a note and it'd be narrated by her over some weird music, with a montage of her driving some random car.

How they could have done it perfectly:

- Have her decide field hunting isn't for her anymore
- Have them talk about what Bobby used to do a bit
- Ultimately have her decide to take up Bobby's mantle, spurred on by the recent British MOL contact, to restart the American MOL.

Tada. She is now her own character with her own thing, uniting American hunters from the bunker, that doesn't require she always be around but keeps her central. It's so loving obvious it's maddening they didn't figure it out.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRpzQgJqk2U

:(

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Blazing Ownager posted:

How they could have done it perfectly:

- Have her decide field hunting isn't for her anymore
- Have them talk about what Bobby used to do a bit
- Ultimately have her decide to take up Bobby's mantle, spurred on by the recent British MOL contact, to restart the American MOL.

Tada. She is now her own character with her own thing, uniting American hunters from the bunker, that doesn't require she always be around but keeps her central. It's so loving obvious it's maddening they didn't figure it out.

Oh, I am positive there's going to be more for her character to do, I'm just glad they got the whole OMG SHE'S LEAVING CHARACTER ANGUISH bullshit out of the way asap. Remember Dean and the Mark and every god damned week with Sam going BUT DEAN, YOU ARE SO ANGRY and Dean just staring off into the distance and being all I GOT THIS SAMMY and repeat for... 22 episodes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Oh, I am positive there's going to be more for her character to do, I'm just glad they got the whole OMG SHE'S LEAVING CHARACTER ANGUISH bullshit out of the way asap. Remember Dean and the Mark and every god damned week with Sam going BUT DEAN, YOU ARE SO ANGRY and Dean just staring off into the distance and being all I GOT THIS SAMMY and repeat for... 22 episodes?

The thing is that's a problem with the writers no matter who they have around. Now it'll just be that.. without a third character.

Countdown to Sam/Dean collecting A SECRET to ping pong with in 3.. 2.. 1..

ED: Seriously the writers seem to be stuck in a loop writing their worst season instead of just trying to look back at what made the show good originally.