Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Supernorn posted:

When The Fixer ends tomorrow, we get another ET straight away!

The Hitman twitter account confirmed once ET 11 ends at 2pm tomorrow, ET 12 will start.

It would be pretty awesome if he changed outfits several times while walking around the mansion. An ET that changed appearance would be pretty fun to try and spot on a blind playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
My thanks to folks from the thread, another ET SA'd. Whenever there's an item to be picked up, it seems best to lock the item down, then secure it last.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I'm in mission 2 in Sapienza. Before I head off on a goose chase is there a way to use the DNA of the doctor I found in the safe to be able to engineer the virus into attacking her and thus getting rid of both at once? I'm in the virus room right now and I'm not seeing a way to do so.

Kolnikov
Mar 25, 2016

the experience is consummated
Pillbug

Capsaicin posted:

I'm in mission 2 in Sapienza. Before I head off on a goose chase is there a way to use the DNA of the doctor I found in the safe to be able to engineer the virus into attacking her and thus getting rid of both at once? I'm in the virus room right now and I'm not seeing a way to do so.

There's a vial of virus targeted at her in the model ship in the storeroom full of crap just below the hatch in the attic - smash the ship, get the vial and throw it at her and she dies. Also, the virus cloud stays around if you throw it in a place she walks to or through, and she'll die when she heads there.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
I managed to fail the current ET that walks out the backdoor and isolates himself immediately because a guard spotted me and I got into a shootout with the entire parking lot security team.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

New escalation is super easy with the exploding phone, almost feels like cheating.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

Capsaicin posted:

The only use for that thing that I've found is getting her into the right location for a certain specific other kill, so no.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So I completed the fixer thing after the deadline with a game that had been suspended overnight. I didn't get the achievement for it, which was weird. It might have been related to this massive DDoSing that's been going on this morning. Has anyone ever experienced weirdness when completing an ET after the deadline?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Things I learned when playing the Identity Theft Elusive Target: Just because the game says no one can see you pull out a gun and aim at the ET and shoot him, it doesn't mean the game isn't lying about it. Also, that the game will not highlight everyone murdering you. Only like three of them. Tried to pop him from a corner in the garden because the game said no one saw anything when I whipped it out and aimed, then everybody saw it. RIP Shitman No. 1.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

RBA Starblade posted:

Things I learned when playing the Identity Theft Elusive Target: Just because the game says no one can see you pull out a gun and aim at the ET and shoot him, it doesn't mean the game isn't lying about it. Also, that the game will not highlight everyone murdering you. Only like three of them. Tried to pop him from a corner in the garden because the game said no one saw anything when I whipped it out and aimed, then everybody saw it. RIP Shitman No. 1.

As far as I have been able to tell, the rules around this are that anyone who sees the body go down instantly knows where the shot came from and turns to look at you. So not only can no one be looking at you, anyone who can see the victim should not have a line of sight on you. This includes shots with silenced weapons.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Eggnogium posted:

As far as I have been able to tell, the rules around this are that anyone who sees the body go down instantly knows where the shot came from and turns to look at you. So not only can no one be looking at you, anyone who can see the victim should not have a line of sight on you. This includes shots with silenced weapons.

Well that's stupid. At least I know for next time I try something ballsy. :argh:

e: I guess that explains how everyone knows where the silenced sniper bullet came from immediately.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 21, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Surprisingly simple SA.

Started as a technician since I wanted to try to catch him in an accident. Pointlessly fiddled around with auction staff and security guard disguises to have a good variety of options available (and to get caught by a camera because I forgot it was there). Followed him around until he went out the back to take a call. Closed the door, jabbed him with an emetic needle, and followed him into the bathroom where he accidentally drowned and ended up in a closet. Went into the basement, shot the evidence, and took the basement exit.

I was sooo tempted to push him off the balcony, but didn't have a good distraction to get him out of everyone's view, and it would have been a faff to time it properly with getting the guard out of the way.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I got SA on this one as well.

I waited for the target to stand around in the auction. Then I pricked the guard on the balcony near the auction with an emetic syringe. Once the target walked out onto the balcony, I shoved him off.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Yeah, this one was relatively straightforward once you saw his routine. SA for me. Poison syringe in the back as he was turning the corner walking up the second staircase. I cleared out the nearby auction staff and roaming bodyguard in the area first.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I was lazy and just used the explosive phone. Just one more ET and I get all the suits.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
SA here as well. Electrified the puddle in the palace garden, then stood like a jerk in the only dry spot on his route, forcing him to step into the puddle.

Kolnikov
Mar 25, 2016

the experience is consummated
Pillbug
First try SA! But then, it's the easiest one in a long while. Spotted him on the ground floor as a waiter after shooting the evidence, followed him until he went to the auction, then shinned up a drainpipe, threw a wrench at the guard out back of the auction and grabbed his clothes - still thinking I'd just recon things for the REAL run. But the target was right there! Then he went out the back to take a call, lean on the balcony etc, wilfully ignoring the unconscious man in his pants mere feet from him. "Will I turn my head ten degrees to the right? NO SEEING THINGS THAT ARE OBVIOUSLY IN VIEW IS FOR LESSER MEN." I stood there unable to believe his idiocy for about a minute before I jabbed a poison syringe in his back and ran away.

Short of climbing into a hay baler and leaving a note reading "SHRED ME" I'm not sure how much easier he could have made it. Although I admittedly didn't risk triggering the x-ray vision guards.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

SA here as well. Electrified the puddle in the palace garden, then stood like a jerk in the only dry spot on his route, forcing him to step into the puddle.

gently caress! I was going to do this but I didn't remember that the outlet starts out being on. They don't in Marrakesh. Instantly cooked myself as I exposed the wire.

First failed ET :cry:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Eggnogium posted:

gently caress! I was going to do this but I didn't remember that the outlet starts out being on. They don't in Marrakesh. Instantly cooked myself as I exposed the wire.

Turns out; you were the Elusive Target all along.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

A pretty easy SA. I thought about trying to get him with the chandelier on the stairs, but by the time I noticed and set up the shot he had just cleared it. When he went on the balcony I quickly threw a coin to distract the guard, and managed to push him over without being noticed. Thinking back it was kind of risky.

I'm also kind of hoping that was the last Paris ET, I really would like to explore the later maps more.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Turns out; you were the Elusive Target all along.

new location: Bruges

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eggnogium posted:

That is loving EXACTLY what happened to me a few ETs ago, the guy with the egg you had to steal.

I'm just so glad I'm not alone in my stupid mistake.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 23, 2016

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Eggnogium posted:

Midnight Voyager posted:

That is loving EXACTLY what happened to me a few ETs ago, the guy with the egg you had to steal.

I'm just so glad I'm not alone in my stupid mistake.

my deepest sympathies, fellow accidental outlet suicide victims.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
Got my blood money unlock finally! :woop:

I followed him around a bit and found out that he walks past a narrow spot on the way to the rear auction guards. I placed the explosive phone down in the gap between the stairs and the railing at the bar then I bumped into his bodyguard a few times while he was picking it up. I thought i just got him but I think he made it to the two rear door guards before picking up the phone :[

I escaped calmly in the sea of fleeing npcs with sirens wailing.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I found the ET at the Bar in the Paris Fashion Show so I threw a kitchen knife at him and ran from the hail of bullets that soon followed, I just didn't feel like being sneaky as I've done Paris so many goddamn times now.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I went up the barge with the rifle, shot him as he was headed to the side door and then went full Charles Whitman on the security team before I ran for the chopper. :synpa:

I got about seven points but it was a lot of fun. :v:

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup
I almost blew the Fixer by dressing up as the Sheikh, stabbing the target with the emetic syringe on the balcony, then having Margolis follow both of us back to the bathroom to tell me about some exciting information I may be interested in purchasing :doh:

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
I killed him when he went to take the call outside. I put the bomb cellphone on the low wall he walks past and was done pretty quick.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I hosed up my initial approach so I just stabbed him to death with a screwdriver in front of the entire patio party, bolted for the helicopter, and made it out without killing anyone else through sheer luck.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Scott Forstall posted:

I killed him when he went to take the call outside. I put the bomb cellphone on the low wall he walks past and was done pretty quick.

I really need to unlock that at some point.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pilchenstein posted:

I went up the barge with the rifle, shot him as he was headed to the side door and then went full Charles Whitman on the security team before I ran for the chopper. :synpa:

I got about seven points but it was a lot of fun. :v:

Honestly, I don't care about Silent Assassin for achievements. I just figure out the surest way to nail them with the tools at hand.

For the last Marrakesh one, this involved panicking when a guard (who could see through my disguise) turned a corner at the same time as the target and I just panic-whipped the White Duck at him, blew it up midair, and booked it into the janitor closet.

I probably could have handled it better, but that was definitely more fun than whatever hide and sneak thing I would have done.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Some footage of Japan
https://streamable.com/5oli

edit : Fixed!

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Oct 26, 2016

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

e: thanks for the upload. looks great

Social Media fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Oct 26, 2016

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

RBA Starblade posted:

I really need to unlock that at some point.

It's really worth it and only needs you to get to mastery 10 on Bangkok. Particularly useful for escalations where you need to kill someone while in a certain disguise, but that disguise has been made auto-suspicious for all guards or whatever. Just get the target to pick up the phone and then detonate from a safe spot. Also leads to funny moments where you don't quite see who picked up the phone, so you hit the trigger hoping your target will eat it...and then some random tourist blows up in the middle of the carpet stall.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FiestaNinja posted:

It's really worth it and only needs you to get to mastery 10 on Bangkok. Particularly useful for escalations where you need to kill someone while in a certain disguise, but that disguise has been made auto-suspicious for all guards or whatever. Just get the target to pick up the phone and then detonate from a safe spot. Also leads to funny moments where you don't quite see who picked up the phone, so you hit the trigger hoping your target will eat it...and then some random tourist blows up in the middle of the carpet stall.

Ducks work the same really, but you don't need the target to do anything for it to blow up. But I once did a tricky escalation with two ducks and a phone and that was pretty wonderfully Michael Bay.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I found getting all the unlocks in Bangkok pretty straightforward. Just play the instructional things in the game (name escapes me) and you'll be almost there. Then a challenge or two and hey presto.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Thats cheating

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is Take My Breath Away random or something? It doesn't sync up to the video I'm seeing on it at all; Cross is already up the stairs by the time the lady turns around.

e: Well I somehow killed a guy in front of him too but I got it. Not sniper saso though. :v:

It is random though. Half the time he's on the upper floor already, it sucks.

e: WELP, one time I get it, they see me three levels down and enter combat. :thumbsup:

e: The second time I got it, the entire level became suspicious of me for no reason

e: Now when I do it every npc is constantly staring at me until I enter combat, or the one guard is constantly craning his head, making escape impossible.

I give up. What isn't random is broken. My very last attempt just had a guard in 47's suite to kill me on the way down. No reason, just because.

e: After a few more efforts, including one where I got Cross, but somehow his loving red indicator kept going and the game declared I didn't, I got him and almost got out, but a guard's neck was permanently facing me, leading to me getting caught. Managed to hide long enough for saving to enable (seven minutes? really?) then fired my way out. So much for sniper assassin, what a load of garbage. At least I got suit only and that lovely challenge.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 27, 2016

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

RBA Starblade posted:

e: WELP, one time I get it, they see me three levels down and enter combat. :thumbsup:

I don't know if this is any help but detection ranges seem to change based on what you're doing with a weapon. So having it on your back means that random people will have to be relatively close to start getting suspicious, whereas if you have it drawn they''ll start to notice from further away, and I think that extends again when you have the weapon readied. This is all based off of spending a lot of time on the bazaar rooftops with the sniper rifle (and a few instances of hanging out with a pistol drawn only to be immediately spotted when I raise it to shoot) where most of the time nobody can see you, but if you are close to the gap when you're going to take a shot, you'll start getting the suspicion direction indicators going off from people at ground level. Kind of similar to how unaware targets will almost always turn to look directly at the knife/wrench flying at their head if you're anywhere other than 180 degrees behind them.

So in your case were you maybe close to a window/ledge/the roof of the atrium when you fired? Otherwise if it was just through solid terrain I've got nothing.

I also get the feeling that the more times you restart a mission from the debriefing screen/pause menu the weirder things get with the scripting. It was mentioned earlier in the thread that stuff like the random number seed for which plate of food Morgan eats from changes on a restart (it will always be the same plate the first time you start the mission after launching the game) and so if I'm having trouble replicating something I usually back all the way out to the main menu and launch the mission again fresh.

eSportseXpert fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FiestaNinja posted:

I don't know if this is any help but detection ranges seem to change based on what you're doing with a weapon. So having it on your back means that random people will have to be relatively close to start getting suspicious, whereas if you have it drawn they''ll start to notice from further away, and I think that extends again when you have the weapon readied. This is all based off of spending a lot of time on the bazaar rooftops with the sniper rifle (and a few instances of hanging out with a pistol drawn only to be immediately spotted when I raise it to shoot) where most of the time nobody can see you, but if you are close to the gap when you're going to take a shot, you'll start getting the suspicion direction indicators going off from people at ground level. Kind of similar to how unaware targets will almost always turn to look directly at the knife/wrench flying at their head if you're anywhere other than 180 degrees behind them.

So in your case were you maybe close to a window/ledge/the roof of the atrium when you fired? Otherwise if it was just through solid terrain I've got nothing.

I also get the feeling that the more times you restart a mission from the debriefing screen/pause menu the weirder things get with the scripting. It was mentioned earlier in the thread that stuff like the random number seed for which plate of food Morgan eats from changes on a restart (it will always be the same plate the first time you start the mission after launching the game) and so if I'm having trouble replicating something I usually back all the way out to the main menu and launch the mission again fresh.

It was through solid terrain and I was restarting a lot, so I think you're right with the scripting. It was a frustrating two hours, but at least I walked away with something.

Plus I got to shoot my way out and punch out a bellhop. :v: