Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Actually please rename the forum Laissez Book Fair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Renamed this forum No Music Discussion

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Home of the Vann Clann

twitter and bisted
Aug 26, 2012

I'm a crow and nothing human is avian to me

Kopijeger posted:

Bob Dylan (of all people) awarded Nobel Prize for literature for "having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition":

http://www.nobelprize.org/

loving Nobel committee. It should've been Neil Peart.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Imagine being stuck in a perpetual state where you can only listen to Rush.

What a Godawful existence that would be.

E: Do you reckon there would be any interest in a Splatterpunk/Extreme Horror thread?

It's trash genre writing of the highest order but it's gotten somewhat of a resurgence as being one of the very few genres with some measure of success on Kindle Unlimited. That's quite a low bar, I admit, but the vast majority of authors with that success know they're writing trash and have honed it to a fine edge.

Plus its coming up to Halloween.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Oct 15, 2016

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Rush Limbo posted:

Imagine being stuck in a perpetual state where you can only listen to Rush.

You could almost call it a "Rush Limbo". :rimshot:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

You could almost call it a "Rush Limbo". :rimshot:

:thejoke:

Anyway, given that we're now allowed to nominate musicians I nominate Weird Al Yankovic, mainly because it would be really funny to live in a world where Weird Al has a Nobel but Cormac McCarthy doesn't

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Rush Limbo posted:

:thejoke:

Anyway, given that we're now allowed to nominate musicians I nominate Weird Al Yankovic, mainly because it would be really funny to live in a world where Weird Al has a Nobel but Cormac McCarthy doesn't

I wish someone could win for being a strong comedic voice, but Swedes don't have a sense of humor.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

make this clip the new forum title

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zePQavforA

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Hector Beerlioz posted:

"Errgfherrhergggerrge ge grg"
-Bob Dylan, Nobel Laureate

fantasy zone
Jul 24, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
pynchon popping big bottles

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Permanently banned from the Alamo
I just started the first of the Jack Reacher novels. Haven't seen the movies, but the character looked fun so I grabbed it on audiobook. Anyone else read any of them? Are they worth a read?

UWBW fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 17, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Depends on how much you like airport fiction?

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Depends on how much you like airport fiction?

I guess if it gets me to work in the morning it's good enough. Maybe I'll do a book report when I finish it :v:

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

UWBW posted:

I just started the first of the Jack Reacher novels. Haven't seen the movies, but the character looked fun so I grabbed it on audiobook. Anyone else read any of them? Are they worth a read?

No.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

UWBW posted:

super perfect megasoldier tom cruise jack reacher is flawed and human compared to the idiot nonsense of the books' version. its dumb as gently caress

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Quit loving a Child and Read Some Real Literature

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The first movie is cool because it has werner herzog but also because tom cruise is really shrimpy and it's funny watching him try to be 'badass'

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

UWBW posted:

No, but if you like the guy reading that audiobook, you should totally check out other audiobooks he's narrated. Seriously.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I've been too sad to read anything and it's taken me three weeks to get 1/3 through Empire of the Sun. lol

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

UWBW posted:

Excuse me but the literature thread is that way this is not the appropriate thread for discussion of Jack Reacher.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

UWBW posted:

I just started the first of the Jack Reacher novels

why

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of audiobooks, I was shown a site a few months ago with very dynamic audiobooks. Background music and sound effects, different actors for the different characters, etc. Does anyone know what it was or have a link?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
For those that enjoyed Wolf In White Van, Darnielle has a new novel coming out in four months called Universal Harvester, and it sounds more like a horror novel.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Recycling Centerpiece posted:

Speaking of audiobooks, I was shown a site a few months ago with very dynamic audiobooks. Background music and sound effects, different actors for the different characters, etc. Does anyone know what it was or have a link?

That's just a radio play.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
http://www.oldradioworld.com/

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 20, 2016

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
I was taking a look at the bestselling books on Amazon and saw this:

Yes, the A J Waines version is a completely separate book with a similar title. See also the Stephen King who isn't the famous one yet is still a bestseller from customers not checking before buying.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
To be fair the lesser known one is on kindle unlimited so a lot of that is probably people thinking 'hey, this popular book is free on kindle unlimited', getting to 10% and then realising it's not.

I've got mixed feelings about Kindle Unlimited. The kindle singles are good, and you can get most of Vonnegut's catalogue on there, but dear God there's a lot of chaff among the wheat. It's fairly good for trashy horror stuff, though. Matt Shaw is an author who has gotten a lot of exposure through the service and he's a bit rough around the edges but writes good Pulp Horror.

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Ok so this Jack Reacher book is dumb. Really dumb. The dumbest thing I've read in years. But you know what? It kind of has a goofy camp charm to it.

Every single time Jack Reacher has a problem, he thinks to himself "I could totally fight these guys, I'm so great." One of the first scenes in the book is him just sitting around thinking about how he could "totally take out every cop in this station and be in a patrol car before they could request backup. These guys are chumps, I'm great."

One of my favorite lines so far went something like:

He asked us if we knew what that meant. We nodded, because we knew what that meant.

That's not just a one-and-done line, it's part of Lee Child's writing style. I'm just sitting here listening to this story like :v:

A man gets killed over what he suspects is counterfeit currency. Jack Reacher investigates. Immediately after learning about the counterfeit money laundering, he gets told that a wealthy citizen pays shop owners thousands of dollars a month for no reason.

Jack Reacher: "I walked out of there. This guy was crazy."

Me: :v:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

That sounds terrible in an amazing way. I don't want to read it, but I want you to keep reading it and posting goofy lines and summaries.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The real question is whether it's supposed to be goofy camp or the author writes like that in earnest. I admit I've only read one JR book but never quite managed to settle on one of the options.

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Enfys posted:

That sounds terrible in an amazing way. I don't want to read it, but I want you to keep reading it and posting goofy lines and summaries.

What I actually want to do is draw a series of comics about the goofy-rear end plot of this book. The punchline is always "I was wrong, but that's okay because I'm great."

Edit: content

Multiple times so far, Jack Reacher has described an attack on himself as "Oh poo poo, these idiots just opened my 'forbidden door', time to kick some rear end". Yes, he uses the phrase "Forbidden door", not to describe his anus, but to describe how angry he is at being attacked.

Also within the first couple of chapters he nearly gets raped in prison and then beats up some Nazis.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Is this all in the one book?

Please draw a comic of Jack's Forbidden Door being opened.

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Enfys posted:

Is this all in the one book?

Please draw a comic of Jack's Forbidden Door being opened.

This is a SFW forum

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

Franchescanado posted:

For those that enjoyed Wolf In White Van, Darnielle has a new novel coming out in four months called Universal Harvester, and it sounds more like a horror novel.
Sounds cool. I really enjoyed Wolf in White Van. Although now I'm annoyed about having to wait until February. :mad:

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

Killing Floor Update:

Jack Reacher just shot a guy with a Desert Eagle so hard that he flew out of his shoes and landed several feet away. :v:

In my current chapter, he kills 5 guys then puts their bodies in a wheelbarrow and dumps them in a car. I can only imagine how this must have looked in real life. Killing Floor is an incredible trainwreck of a book. When I finish it I might make a thread for Jack Reacher books, I can only hope they're all as :v: as this one.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i have read a couple jack reacher books because i was stuck in an airport for 20 hours. the finniest moment was when one villain used jack's impossible bullshit height against him by fighting inside a room with low ceilings

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

UWBW posted:

I can only hope they're all as :v: as this one.

My father-in-law read a lot of these kinds of books and he said they're all basically the same, and if you read them in publication order then after the fifth or so book the first third or each new book is taken up with recapping what's happened in the last few.

UWBW
Aug 3, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

i have read a couple jack reacher books because i was stuck in an airport for 20 hours. the finniest moment was when one villain used jack's impossible bullshit height against him by fighting inside a room with low ceilings

"He was in a room that was small, a small room. The room was much lower than the maximum of my height, and I knew it. He knew it too, because he wouldn't have chosen a small room without giving thought to the room being this small. That's why he chose a small room. Little did he know, I had a small dog strapped to each of my knees, so I could kneel down and still retain most of my movement speed in the small room."

I imagine it went something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

UWBW posted:

Killing Floor Update:

Jack Reacher just shot a guy with a Desert Eagle so hard that he flew out of his shoes and landed several feet away. :v:

In my current chapter, he kills 5 guys then puts their bodies in a wheelbarrow and dumps them in a car. I can only imagine how this must have looked in real life. Killing Floor is an incredible trainwreck of a book. When I finish it I might make a thread for Jack Reacher books, I can only hope they're all as :v: as this one.

I guess Jack Reacher probably has super strength of something, but getting 5 dead bodies into a wheelbarrow (what kind of giant wheelbarrow fits 5 adult men?) and then stuffing them into a car is a pretty insane and lengthy ordeal.

corn in the bible posted:

That is amazing. Even the villains manage to find ways to compliment him in a backhanded way.