Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Tendales posted:

Being beaten on a wonder should be an automatic Casus Belli.

That's actually not a bad idea... for China. You could come up with unique Cassus Belli for every civ. Harald can declare war because your navy is too small. Qin Shi Huang can declare war on anyone with more wonders than him. Trajan can declare on anyone who's below a certain size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fossilized Rappy
Dec 26, 2012
I feel like an idiot, because I managed to lose a game I was sure I was going to win. Tried a Cultural victory attempt as Brazil, had overwhelmingly massive piles of Culture and Tourism flowing out of my cities, but tourist numbers only came at a trickle. England, which had 47 Tourism to my 300, was somehow getting tourists so much faster that I received a warning that she was about to win a Culture victory soon before the timer ran out on us all. Is there something about the culture game I'm missing?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Why does the ai feel worse

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Fossilized Rappy posted:

I feel like an idiot, because I managed to lose a game I was sure I was going to win. Tried a Cultural victory attempt as Brazil, had overwhelmingly massive piles of Culture and Tourism flowing out of my cities, but tourist numbers only came at a trickle. England, which had 47 Tourism to my 300, was somehow getting tourists so much faster that I received a warning that she was about to win a Culture victory soon before the timer ran out on us all. Is there something about the culture game I'm missing?

I think it's the Great Works and Artifacts, not Culture itself that matters.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

eXXon posted:

I'm not sure if I follow how removing most penalties for building cities everywhere encourages variety in play, since it makes spamming cities everywhere the optimal strategy. The only real reason you have to ask yourself whether you want to build a new city now is a) can you defend it? (usually a minor concern) and b) can you be bothered to pour resources into it and get it productive before the game ends?

There are many problems with it, but the basis is if more isn't always better than weird things happen to balance. This has been discussed at length, but the high points are if land isn't worth grabbing then that implies the land isn't valuable (which should only be the case for inherently low-value land like desert, tundra, etc.), and ultimately that playing a smaller Civ is "easy" and "safe" so playing riskier should naturally be more rewarding. If you have to compete with the other Civs for land and resources, then you should be better off getting it, whether by winning the settling race or taking it by force. Variety comes in the nature of the land, the opponents, your own Civ, playstyle and victory type, etc.

Of course as long as the AI is braindead it's not going to matter a whole lot either way, you can win perfectly easily sitting back on one to three cities (at least at most difficulty levels, can't speak for Immortal/Deity yet) if you really want to with the current state of the game.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Fossilized Rappy posted:

The tourism mechanics aren't really explained anywhere so I this is just guessing, but:

I think tourists are based on accumulated tourism, not tourism per turn. How long did you have that 300 tourism?

Tourists are also visiting specific hexes. Maybe your tourism generation was too spread out, and you had a bunch of 0 tourist hexes? (not hexes with no tourist value at all, but hexes with tourism but not enough for any tourists)

Fossilized Rappy
Dec 26, 2012

Megazver posted:

I think it's the Great Works and Artifacts, not Culture itself that matters.
I had no theming bonuses in any of my museums because I was getting poor luck with getting the right artists and artifacts, so that may have been the problem.

Staltran posted:

The tourism mechanics aren't really explained anywhere so I this is just guessing, but:

I think tourists are based on accumulated tourism, not tourism per turn. How long did you have that 300 tourism?

Tourists are also visiting specific hexes. Maybe your tourism generation was too spread out, and you had a bunch of 0 tourist hexes? (not hexes with no tourist value at all, but hexes with tourism but not enough for any tourists)
My big tourist attractions were spread thin, so that may have also been the problem. Two national parks on almost the opposite sides of the continent and a scattering of tourist beaches and museums in my four cities. And I had the high Tourism from around the turn of the 1950s (can't cite a turn number), though it was still higher than everyone but Gandhi's since around the 1830s.

Thanks for the comments. Hopefully I can rectify the situation next time I go for a Cultural Victory.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
That's actually a bug with the notification itself. You were winning, but the "X Civilization is close to a culture victory" popup pulls the wrong value, so it names the civ with the least tourism instead of the civ with the most tourism.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ripper Swarm posted:

That's actually a bug with the notification itself. You were winning, but the "X Civilization is close to a culture victory" popup pulls the wrong value, so it names the civ with the least tourism instead of the civ with the most tourism.

If you're playing a game with culture victory turned off, you'll still get those messages. I got one for each of the three other civs in the game yesterday.

Fossilized Rappy
Dec 26, 2012

Ripper Swarm posted:

Well that would explain a lot. Monty won score victory from timeout (I was dead last in Domination Victory points and ignored religion like a fool), so I wasn't sure what would have theoretically happened if I had turned off Score Victory and just assumed I had done something horribly wrong and England was going to win a Culture Victory out of nowhere. The notification being an error makes more sense.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I met a civ and after I closed the diplo screen we were already at war. Holy poo poo this game lol.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

turboraton posted:

Friend if you don't know about the monster that is having 25+ Trading Routes thanks to Great People I don't know what to tell you. The Great People mechanics are a serious improvement over Civ5 as they are way more interactive, an actual challenge to get a lot of them and they offer way more variety than Civ5 ever did.

There are 4 great merchants who provide +1 trade route each so tell me more about how great people got you 25+ routes. More interactive, fine, more challenging seems not to be the case since apparently you can get 3+ great people every 12 turns. More variety is great except the free trade route merchant is way more powerful than the pitiful free gold/tile/envoy variety so it needs some balancing.

All I said was that great people are worse than Civ V (on average) and most don't have multiple options in how you can use them. Some are fairly powerful. The mechanics for gaining them are fine. You do get a chance to pass on specific great people if you don't want them but with a penalty.

Jastiger posted:

I find it frustrating that science victories still require copious amounts of industry to even dream of completing. You can get mega tech'd up and mos things cost 5-10 turns to build, but the space stuff can still take 20-30. It should be hard to build, but its a bit silly its THAT MUCH MORE expensive to build.

There are 2 great engineers and scientists each that can help rush buy space projects. I'm not sure if you can rush build the spaceport.

I suppose you would need lots of production to get those engineers but you could hypothetically buy them with faith or gold if you manage to rob the AI blind.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You can buy the buildings in that district with faith, but you still have to build the district manually.

Well that's a lot shittier than it sounds, then!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Rexides posted:

Actually they should stop giving the AI bonuses to yields, and just have their cities behave like barbarian camps by spawning tech-appropriate units next to them at intervals. I really don't see the point of giving the AI more and more production in the hopes that in all that building frenzy it will randomly stumble on the correct choices, and not just giving the things it needs to ruin your day.

Lionhead studios opted for this technique (though admittedly because of peter molenuex it was implemented in a completely predictable and half assed way) and there is nothing more frustrating on the planet than realizing that you have to bust your rear end to make your armies buildings etc. and the AI is just getting everything for free and never has to make any choices.

It definitely did not make Black and White 2 a more enjoyable experience lemmie tell ya.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

One of the stupidest things in the game is that if a scout is set to auto explore it'll make sure it moves all the hexes it can. So if it gets to a hill and it can move a space behind it'll do it even though it's a stupid move to make.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Tendales posted:

Being beaten on a wonder should be an automatic Casus Belli.

that's brilliant, it should have severely reduced or 0 war weariness penalty along with it as well (for the aggressor)

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
When putting down a district and the adjacency bonus is a star, what does that mean? +5?

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Is there any point to the city states? AI seems to just want to conquer them all and after three eras repeatedly liberating one from AIs, I got pretty bored.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

eXXon posted:

There are 4 great merchants who provide +1 trade route each so tell me more about how great people got you 25+ routes. More interactive, fine, more challenging seems not to be the case since apparently you can get 3+ great people every 12 turns. More variety is great except the free trade route merchant is way more powerful than the pitiful free gold/tile/envoy variety so it needs some balancing.

They also give plenty of Envoys / Amenities / Stuff that makes you have a powerful city network. Also it is challenging when you are playing MP or against Kongo/Greece/Brasil or all of them on higher difficulties. Great People is one of the systems that got changed in CIV6 and I really like it.

Now to try and win Immortal with 4 players.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Is there any point to the city states? AI seems to just want to conquer them all and after three eras repeatedly liberating one from AIs, I got pretty bored.

Certain city-state bonuses are very powerful and (theoretically) can enable off-beat strategies, like Toronto's doubled district radius, or the Hattusa (?) bonus that gives you a copy of every strategical resource you're aware of, even if you can't farm it.

I'd just station a sizable garrison on the city-states you really want to keep alive instead of repeatedly liberating them.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Finally bought this and going to start playing tomorrow.

Any beginner tips for someone really familiar with Civ V? I've heard barbarians are tougher to deal with this time around--anything I should do to make sure I don't get owned early by barbs?

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Harrow posted:

Any beginner tips for someone really familiar with Civ V? I've heard barbarians are tougher to deal with this time around--anything I should do to make sure I don't get owned early by barbs?
One/two slingers and a warrior will set you right.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Harrow posted:

Build order in VI appears to favor unit heavy starts. I've been building scout, slinger, slinger and that's enabled me to deal with barbs early on.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

or if you're the aztecs :getin:

I just realized that my deluxe install doesn't seem to be utilizing the Aztecs. I see the file in the Mods folder but they aren't selectable during game set up.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Olive Branch posted:

One/two slingers and a warrior will set you right.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Build order in VI appears to favor unit heavy starts. I've been building scout, slinger, slinger and that's enabled me to deal with barbs early on.

Hell yeah. Time to sling some barbs tomorrow.

Unrelated: What's everyone's favorite civ to play as so far?

karrethuun
Jun 6, 2011
I believe aztecs are only for pre-orders for the first few months

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

karrethuun posted:

Believe it was 90 days from release.

Harrow posted:

Hell yeah. Time to sling some barbs tomorrow.

Unrelated: What's everyone's favorite civ to play as so far?

Scythia though I'm having a hard time playing anyone that isn't Scythia because of how OP she is

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I'm also partial to Scythia, and it's not for the double horse units. The heal on kill passive is insane, and if you juggle who gets the killing blow you can keep 90% of your army alive for the duration of the game.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

karrethuun posted:

Huh ok. Weird that there is a file for it in the mod folder.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
Any tips for optimizing the game? The turns flip agonizingly slow in the late game. I have an SSD, beefy gaming rig, and all the animations turned off and the turns still take 30s-a minute. It's a bit annoying.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Huh ok. Weird that there is a file for it in the mod folder.

That's probably so you can play with people who have it.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Godmachine posted:

Any tips for optimizing the game? The turns flip agonizingly slow in the late game. I have an SSD, beefy gaming rig, and all the animations turned off and the turns still take 30s-a minute. It's a bit annoying.

A minute on a standard map or larger? That seems excessive, I'm at around 20 seconds with a stock i5.

Having said that, I have Civ VI installed on a Crucial SSD and twice now it has caused a BSOD by dropping from the drive list. Power cycling fixed it but I've never had this happen before, so maybe it's thrashing SSDs more than usual?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Godmachine posted:

I'm often getting hard crashes from it too, late game.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Harrow posted:

Assuming prince difficulty and a very general game strategy (you're not Montezuma, for instance):

I'm going to be a bit more reckless in my recommendation, and suggest scout, slinger, builder. Once the scout comes out, bring that warrior back to help defend or do a loop around your capital. Having played mostly as Greece and Egypt, I've seen games where a food shortage just absolutely cripples your early game and others where you can just proceed to go along merrily off your base yields. As far as I know, Barbarians do not actually stop you from working a tile, so simply keeping alive is good enough until you actually need to defend territory from pillaging.

When you go out to clear barbarian camps, the danger increases dramatically. Coming from Civilization 5, you will gently caress up several times thanks to the changes to entering terrain; you'll end up out of position and exposed at the worst possible time. I actually like the effects it has on combat but you'll suffer until you relearn a few habits. This is especially troublesome with Slingers, with their one tile range. Warriors have a bonus versus those defensive spearmen, and archers get range 2, reducing the odds of fuckup considerably. I recommend going out to clear camps once you have two warriors and two archers (one on defense). I often clear with less, but this helps avoid ZOC issues or spawn issues.

If you cannot stop a scout (easiest with archers, followed by slingers and near impossible with warriors), it is probably best to wait at home rather than pursue. It will be easier to fight off the initial spawn on your home territory and then push to retaliate.

Completing the first Civic gives Discipline (military policy gives +5 combat strength vs barbarians), incredibly useful, and worth picking first chance you get. Personally, I've been going with the alternative Survey option for my recon units - but I won't go into that here.

On scouting: your scout should almost always run away from barbarians. Even that fortified spearmen guarding the encampment is likely to attack if you move adjacent. However, sometimes your scout is cornered and just can't escape. Against a single barbarian, fortifying in a forested hill will let you easily win the battle. Fortification takes a couple turns to go into full effect, climbing from +3 to +6, and barbarians generally don't heal. The initial clash will look pretty bad, but they'll turn it around. If they get reinforcements or ranged units, then you'll die horribly unless you happen to have a chokepoint that kept you from running away in the first place.

Horse barbs suck. If you see a camp spawn in the fog of war next to a horse tile, exterminate with prejudice.

Barbarians will be more or less of a threat depending on how constricted your terrain is and how many city-states are nearby. I'm more likely to get away with a light army as Greece (Pericles) spawning near coast and mountains then I am as Egypt in the middle of a flood plain. When in doubt, err on the side of more troops and prioritizing camps opposite of any nearby city-state (they'll often go out and hunt them). If you're in the middle of a Pangaea or the initial loop around your capital looks pretty open, better paranoid then sorry.

Finally, improvements are repaired quickly by builders, not using a single charge. Districts are not so easy to get back up and running. If you're having an active barbarian problem, it will pay to camp a spare warrior on that Holy Site you rush-chopped.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

What exactly does the STAR mean on the adjacency? Is it a bonus or what?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The icon just tells what adjacency it provides (City Center/District). Anything that would receive a bonus from that (like a Theatre District) would benefit

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Yeah, barbs are seriously destroying me in the early game. Guess I need to be less aggressive with them.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

What determines the rate at which you get government legacy bonuses?

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Speedball posted:

What determines the rate at which you get government legacy bonuses?

The base is 20 turns per tick of legacy bonus. America halves that to 10 turns per tick. That's pretty much it, game speed aside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

ded posted:

What exactly does the STAR mean on the adjacency? Is it a bonus or what?

The star is just the adjacency bonus icon for an adjacent district or city center. Get two stars and you'll be getting +1 yield. Unless you're playing Japan (they get double district bonuses so one star = +1 yield).