Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hillo
Dec 19, 2012

by zen death robot

Nenonen posted:

Where's Sipsit and Mehukatti? Failed cosplay, 3/10

Don't forget the whole milk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

El Perkele posted:

Naw. It would be biologically precise, because that's what this game is like. Listen to birds. Not only are all bird species singing in the game correct, but they have correct activity patterns (redwings at dusk/dawn, cuckoo at night, diver at evening, chaffinch at late morning, tree pipit during noon etc.)

It's perhaps the most accurate environmental soundscape I have encountered :wtc:

Wait, is this for real or just some brilliantly crafted hyperbolic time chamber joke?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Do jobs 'disappear' when you save/quit? I don 't want to drive out there with no job, or wait for phone calls.

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturę et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan
Afaik the markers disappear, but if you got a job before you saved, they're still active.

Spades posted:

Did you make sure that the fuel line is tightened on the gas tank end? I think it appears underneath the car at some point after you put the fuel lines in and causes fuel to leak out if it's not tight. I think it was leaking at roughly the rate you described for me, otherwise the car doesn't use gas very quickly.
You were right, there was a nut that I missed. Thank you!

JointHorse fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Nov 3, 2016

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Wait, is this for real or just some brilliantly crafted hyperbolic time chamber joke?

It's real. Also one of the radio tracks is a sooof of a long-time Finnish nature radio program. The developer knows nature stuff very well and bothers to be pretty accurate about it. (Too bad the elks gallop, which is false!)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Asproigerosis posted:

Do jobs 'disappear' when you save/quit? I don 't want to drive out there with no job, or wait for phone calls.
Not only do they not disappear, if you get a feel for the timing you can do the jobs with never getting a call. They're all on internal timers and if the timer is up, you can do the job at your leisure without needing to get the phone call.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

El Perkele posted:

It's real. Also one of the radio tracks is a sooof of a long-time Finnish nature radio program. The developer knows nature stuff very well and bothers to be pretty accurate about it. (Too bad the elks gallop, which is false!)

I was vaguely bothered by the cuckoo calls, the ingame season seemed too summery for those, but I don't know a thing about birds anyway.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Alright first try at starting and it just makes a high pitched whine. Is there anything meaningful to the graphical representation of where parts are? Such as, my front left strut graphically does not appear lined up with the bolt holes on the frame, but could screw them in and such. Is this just buggy?

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

Asproigerosis posted:

Alright first try at starting and it just makes a high pitched whine. Is there anything meaningful to the graphical representation of where parts are? Such as, my front left strut graphically does not appear lined up with the bolt holes on the frame, but could screw them in and such. Is this just buggy?

The whine is often a misadjusted alternator. Use the screwdriver on the mounting bar and adjust using the mouse wheel. The belt should not be bouncing when the engine is running. I dont think the deformed body matters.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The only time deformed parts matter is when intersections cause physics to happen. Otherwise every part has a snapped in or not snapped in state, and every bolt is either done or not done. If a part is snapped in and all bolts are done, it's only going somewhere in the event of extreme physics, or special cases like killing your clutch or pistons.

Decided to try out a vehicle inspection. I cut across from the store parking lot. There is a ditch there. I bottom out and lose the muffler. I roll into the parking lot and attach it without bolting it and gingerly drive into the bay.

Counted as mechanically perfect but I forgot the dumb hazard triangle.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
What do I do if my car constantly backfires and I barely get any power to wheels unless I rev it high and then smash the gear in? It basically just doesn't take gas otherwise when in gear.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SEKCobra posted:

What do I do if my car constantly backfires and I barely get any power to wheels unless I rev it high and then smash the gear in? It basically just doesn't take gas otherwise when in gear.

Satsuma or others? If it's the poo poo truck or tractor then check your gear, especially the Range (R).

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Nenonen posted:

Satsuma or others? If it's the poo poo truck or tractor then check your gear, especially the Range (R).

Nah the Satsuma. It also stalls after a moment. Although reverse works fairly well.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Trying to start the car, start falls out. Hmm.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Backfiring is timing I think? Fixing that might also help you get it in gear without giving all the gas, but usually you have to pull the choke when its cold.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

zedprime posted:

Backfiring is timing I think? Fixing that might also help you get it in gear without giving all the gas, but usually you have to pull the choke when its cold.

So I have to change timing? I assumed the default timing would be a performance light version.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The default timing is trash. There's an easy way to tune it by instruction or you can just try by feel but it should be the same setting across all the screws.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The timing being off will give you a bunch of ticking. I think the car just backfires a lot. Though it could be from too rich fuel mixture.

To fix timing, scroll down on each screw 15 to 20 times. Then scroll up 7 times.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 3, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I admittedly did the timing by the guide before ever turning the car on so I'm not sure what the indications are but I've also never had a backfire. Might be carburetor, but the default carburetor setting wasn't half bad for me.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

The timing being off will give you a bunch of ticking. I think the car just backfires a lot. Though it could be from too rich fuel mixture.

To fix timing, scroll down on each screw 15 to 20 times. Then scroll up 7 times.

is that to adjust timing or valve lash? Do you not adjust timing at the distributor?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Does the garage guy do the valves when you get an engine tune?

I went and did that right away and I havent had any problems.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I guess its actually valve lash. I don't know where I came up with timing besides knowing nothing about car engines.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
I jsut don't get why I can't get my car to work, no one else seems to struggle as much with it.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
Is it normal for the exhaust and the drive gear thing to be so misaligned? The screws/nuts are all the way tightened. The drive gear kinda sugests that there should be something in there from the spacing, but I have no parts left.

edit: Also why does the game make a breaking/crashing sound every time I load a save?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

how me a frog posted:

edit: Also why does the game make a breaking/crashing sound every time I load a save?

Probably the physics taking effect. I seem to hear the beer bottle clinking every time I load.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

how me a frog posted:

Is it normal for the exhaust and the drive gear thing to be so misaligned? The screws/nuts are all the way tightened. The drive gear kinda sugests that there should be something in there from the spacing, but I have no parts left.

Mine looks exactly like that and does not seem to present any issues.

Valtis
Sep 21, 2009
Uh

I'm pretty sure engines aren't supposed to do that.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

Tonton Macoute posted:

I was vaguely bothered by the cuckoo calls, the ingame season seemed too summery for those, but I don't know a thing about birds anyway.

They're correct in relation to each other. Cuckoos peak at early June and end around midsummer, maybe ~26th June (all the other birds peak before midsummer too, after 23rd or so June the forests are getting quiet).

Of course game looks like mid-July but the birds trick me to believe it's something like 17th June.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Valtis posted:

Uh

I'm pretty sure engines aren't supposed to do that.
External combustion engine at work.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Boy the septic truck takes forever to fill up, but it's way better to drive compared to the van before you get your car up.

shabbat goy
Oct 4, 2008

For anyone curious, it seems to work OK in Wine. I haven't tried much, but it loads, I can put the car together, etc.

It's a Unity game, which I'm pretty sure means that the dev can just hit "Build for Linux" and upload it to Steam or whatever and it'll work just fine, but until that happens, this is passable.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

You can hit H to punch things. Also, just drive around the lake shore to get to the store. It's fast and there's no traffic. You just have to avoid trees. Drive out to that shed where the Tractor and septic truck are and keep driving towards the lake. Take a left and follow it all the way around until you get to the dock. Follow that gravel road up to the town and find the store.

Casual

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Is that route quicker? I tried it once, but I hit a tree and died in the Van.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

JB50 posted:

Is that route quicker? I tried it once, but I hit a tree and died in the Van.

It might be quicker to boat it, since that is a straight line instead of a long rear end curve.

Also gently caress I DROPPED MY JERRY CAN IN THE LAKE AND PROMPTLY QUIT WITHOUT SAVING.

Can we buy more jerry cans now or.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Alright car runs. I think I messed up the toe at some point cause I keep listing to the right. Despite that, car just handles like rear end in general, way too easy to go flying off the finn dirt highways.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Asproigerosis posted:

Alright car runs. I think I messed up the toe at some point cause I keep listing to the right. Despite that, car just handles like rear end in general, way too easy to go flying off the finn dirt highways.

Counterpoint: my car drives fine, maybe you just drive like rear end, or you have unrealistic expectations of a front wheel drive 1970s car on dirt roads.

Driving with the keyboard can be really frustrating though.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

El Perkele posted:

If you tell the dev, he'll probably fix it!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Asproigerosis posted:

Take it to the shop in town and get the alignment fixed

El Palo Mota
Aug 5, 2009

StarkRavingMad posted:

Take it to the shop in town and get the alignment fixed

Is there a way to do alignment yourself? I built the car on the ground, and I figured my alignment is all wonky because of that. Had I used the tractor, would the alignment be better? Really, really, enjoying this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

El Palo Mota posted:

Is there a way to do alignment yourself? I built the car on the ground, and I figured my alignment is all wonky because of that. Had I used the tractor, would the alignment be better? Really, really, enjoying this game.

You can adjust the alignment with a nut on each side of the steering rod iirc

• Locked thread