Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jasque
Jan 13, 2006
Garbage! That hovercraft is a joke of engineering, and that helmet would never protect your brain from lasers!

Chilichimp posted:

gently caress it, lose.... country goes to poo poo.

let this mother fucker burn

No, man. That would be bad. I live here fer christ sakes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

FMguru posted:

In the autumn of 2000, the Drudge Report was absolutely full of "sources" "reporting" that federal indictments of Hillary Clinton were due any moment now. Freep at the time treated it as a stone-cold lock that she would be arrested and arraigned before election day.

It's a hardy perennial on the right. Get used to hearing some variation of it at regular intervals for the next eight years.

Paul Ryan already admitted this would be the case.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Megyn Kelly's memoir includes her accounts of being sexually harrassed by Roger Ailes.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Twelve by Pies posted:

e: And he probably wouldn't be able to use this talking point if Trump drank regularly too, but the fact that Trump claims to never touch alcohol and doesn't seem to drink it all that much (the one WWE picture aside) means he's free to use it. That's why his last post had the stupid "What if NOBODY IN THE WORLD drank alcohol but Hillary Clinton boy it'd be dumb to make her the leader of a country then wouldn't it?"

People have mentioned and shared the beer pic a few times to show he's not a teetotaler but the beers used in those Stone Cold segments are non-alcoholic

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Genuinely didn't know that, especially because when someone would mention Trump never drinking, someone would post that pic in response.

FMguru posted:

In the autumn of 2000, the Drudge Report was absolutely full of "sources" "reporting" that federal indictments of Hillary Clinton were due any moment now.

Yup, I remember Hannity talking about how his informant at the FBI said that it was guaranteed that Hillary would be indicted for her crimes before the end of the summer.

Scott Adams' blog post for the day is a short boring one about how Fox News favors Trump and CNN favors Clinton, so I'm not going to bother posting it.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

BiggerBoat posted:

So I'm surprised no one posted this yet but Hannity got trolled by a fake news site yesterday. For once, we have an actual honest to God Sean Hannity retraction and an apology.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/11/01/media/sean-hannity-michelle-obama-hillary-clinton-fake-news/

quote:

Then new characters were added to the fake storyline. "Elizabeth Warren just unfollowed Hillary, and Michelle Obama deleted all her tweets about Hillary," Jack Posobiec, who calls himself a "recovering political operative," tweeted at 2 p.m. Tuesday. He kept going, adding President Obama's name to the list, without any evidence to back it up.

That's General Flynn's personal poll analyst guy from a few weeks ago lol.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Having grown up during the Bush years, it has been super weird watching the right wing grow more and more outright treasonous given their rhetoric from 2000-2008.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

ManlyGrunting posted:

Having grown up during the Bush years, it has been super weird watching the right wing grow more and more outright treasonous given their rhetoric from 2000-2008.

Yeah, it's a sign of the times when you look back almost wistfully to that time they were at least consistent in their lying and manipulation. They've gone from being the reliable villain, obviously scheming and up to no good, to the embodiment of a chaotic two year old. "No!" is the response to everything, regardless of what it is, sometimes they fall over and blame you for it, they cry at random and poo poo everywhere. At least two year olds have the excuse of being entirely underdeveloped and incapable of empathy, measure and logic for that reason. Also, there's a good chance the two year old grows out of it.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Twelve by Pies posted:

Genuinely didn't know that, especially because when someone would mention Trump never drinking, someone would post that pic in response.

Most 'alcoholic' drinks, drugs, etc used on television by actors are not real.

(I said most because I'm pretty sure that if you go back far enough, at least the cigarettes were.)

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

Prism posted:

Most 'alcoholic' drinks, drugs, etc used on television by actors are not real.

(I said most because I'm pretty sure that if you go back far enough, at least the cigarettes were.)

Dean Martin would like a few moments of your time.

Duncan Doenitz
Nov 17, 2010

There are four lights.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yup, I remember Hannity talking about how his informant at the FBI said that it was guaranteed that Hillary would be indicted for her crimes before the end of the summer.

Scott Adams' blog post for the day is a short boring one about how Fox News favors Trump and CNN favors Clinton, so I'm not going to bother posting it.

I am completely dumbfounded by the specific hate that deplorables have for CNN. Don't they employ multiple Trump surrogates, including his former campaign manager who is still drawing a paycheck from said campaign?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Duncan Doenitz posted:

I am completely dumbfounded by the specific hate that deplorables have for CNN. Don't they employ multiple Trump surrogates, including his former campaign manager who is still drawing a paycheck from said campaign?

CNN/NBC/MSNBC/CBS are the long-time targets of the RWM propaganda machine known as "the main stream media". The are the scapegoats used by conservatives to justify the obvious bias of Fox News.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Has Nate Silver still been a reliable source for elections? I remember 2012 being spot on. Or real close to it.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Has Nate Silver still been a reliable source for elections? I remember 2012 being spot on. Or real close to it.

No, he's doing clickbait horse-race nonsense either for profit or because he's scared of ruining his reputation.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Aeka 2.0 posted:

He very publicly hosed up on the Republican Primary results this election.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
At work all I saw was Fox news in the break room, constantly going on about how THE NOW TWO FBI SCANDALS OF HILLARY ARE GOING TO END HER while patting Trump on the back for admitting all he has to do is not freak out. They are all pushing this indictment poo poo hard in the hope that it sticks and will influence blue states to go red.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Bright side, if nothing comes of either of these investigations and Hilary loses out... she's got a pretty rock solid case for a libel lawsuit against Fox, Comey, and the Republicans Party.

sports
Sep 1, 2012
the far right, lying mills don't really disturb me as much as the center-right columnists do. George Will is one of the scariest people to me, he's a center-right skeptic who bashes progressivism in a constructive way, unlike most conservatives "God doesn't like that" argument.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

sports posted:

the far right, lying mills don't really disturb me as much as the center-right columnists do. George Will is one of the scariest people to me, he's a center-right skeptic who bashes progressivism in a constructive way, unlike most conservatives "God doesn't like that" argument.

I felt the same way until Donald Trump conclusively proved that no one listens to people like George Will anymore.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

there's a lot of stolid east coast republicans whose favorite columnist is noted professional climate change denier George Will. Same people that theoretically are demotivated by Donald Trump.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I felt the same way until Donald Trump conclusively proved that no one listens to people like George Will anymore.

Trump proved pretty conclusively that Will, the National Review Crowd, the Moral Majority creeps and even sitting GOP governors and senators were just a wart on an elephant that somehow believed it was the brain behind the whole beast.

Now it's all about the Breitbarts, Talk Radio and tribalist howlers. And they know it, too.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
On CNN right now:

"REP. CHAFFETZ: MY VOTE FOR TRUMP IS DIFFERENT FROM AN ENDORSEMENT"

This election is something else.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

On CNN right now:

"REP. CHAFFETZ: MY VOTE FOR TRUMP IS DIFFERENT FROM AN ENDORSEMENT"

This election is something else.

At least he'll say the word Trump. Speaker Ryan will only say "our nominee".

vvv Besides passing a Constitutional Amendment, not really. vvv

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose
So regarding the Supreme Court appointments...

Is there any way to censure the Senate for abrogating their duties? I mean the constitution say they shall provide advice and consent on presidential appointees. They've failed to even do that much.

Besides voting every 6 years, I mean.

Ah posted in the wrong thread.

Spun Dog fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 3, 2016

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Shillary posted:

At least he'll say the word Trump. Speaker Ryan will only say "our nominee".

And just like Bush in 2008 they will all forget Trump's name 6 days from now.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ManlyGrunting posted:

It's very telling that, when their guy was president, it was "we must support our legally elected president in everything he does because he was ELECTED!!!" Now that the other side's guy is president it's "WE MUST SABOTAGE EVERYTHING HE DOES! NOT OUR PRESIDENT!!!" That and constantly blaming him for the economic meltdown that started as Bush was on the way out.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's very telling that, when their guy was president, it was "we must support our legally elected president in everything he does because he was ELECTED!!!" Now that the other side's guy is president it's "WE MUST SABOTAGE EVERYTHING HE DOES! NOT OUR PRESIDENT!!!" That and constantly blaming him for the economic meltdown that started as Bush was on the way out.

The right's tactic has been to delegitimize the Democratic party. Obama's not a legit president, he's a dictator. Hillary's not winning, the polls are rigged. The right has successfully persuaded their supporters, at least, that Democratic governance is not legitimate governance at all.

It's why I fear Trump's only a symptom, not a disease in and of himself, and the next four to eight years are going to see the most stone-faced obstructive Congress and state governments in this nation's history to date.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Cythereal posted:

The right's tactic has been to delegitimize the Democratic party. Obama's not a legit president, he's a dictator. Hillary's not winning, the polls are rigged. The right has successfully persuaded their supporters, at least, that Democratic governance is not legitimate governance at all.

It's why I fear Trump's only a symptom, not a disease in and of himself, and the next four to eight years are going to see the most stone-faced obstructive Congress and state governments in this nation's history to date.

It's going to rise to the point where calling for armed rebellion against the Democrats who dare to claim that they have any right to rule is treated as a legitimate talking point on the Today Show. I can't wait for more Bundy-but-halfway-competent groups to try to live out the demands of their media masters and get labeled mere "troubled individuals" until Oklahoma City Bombing: the Sequel Parts 2 and 3 come out.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Cythereal posted:

It would be hard to beat 1861.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I think it was Gore Vidal who said that if Timothy McVeigh had waited 8 hours for the federal building he bombed to be empty, he'd be hailed as a hero and likely either be holding office or a be major Talk Radio star today.

The long slide of the Overton Window to the right is brought up a lot, but its role in normalizing/excusing conservative violence and authoritarianism is rarely brought up. After the 1968 shitstorm, perhaps the last time one could say that the US media had any liberal sympathies, the unwritten rule became that Right-wing crimes don't matter. Doesn't matter if it's Lt. Calley, Nixon's pardon, selling arms to Iran. Sure, you can report it, but don't you dare make a thing out of it or fail to equalize it with some bullshit fault of the other side. Save the caring for the Hunter S. Thompsons and other non-serious types.

I was shocked at the news today of just how pro-Trump the FBI has become, then I was surprised at how I was surprised in the first place. After 30+ years of erasing AND legitimizing conservative rage while digging up the pathetic lost hippies of the Weather Underground like it was still a thing, what else could we expect? Institutions are not separate from society. And societies with strong bigoted, paranoid streaks will see bigoted, paranoid institutions.

It's not like this is new. A guy in a confederate cap shot up a museum. Silence. A sitting US congressperson, shot in the head. Light mumbling. Dr. George Tiller murdered after being name-called by the most watched conservative host. Nada. Rep. John King applauds when a dude flies a plane into the IRS and everyone shrugs. Even last year when a guy in a Rodhesia/Dixie jacket shot up a black church, the buzz was about guns and faith, not the rage.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Crowsbeak posted:

It would be hard to beat 1861.

Conservatives: "We accept your challenge!"

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

sports posted:

Being scared of George Will in the era of Trump's anti-reason populism is like being more concerned that you have the flu when there's a tornado about to hit your house. The far right lying mills are the groups people are paying attention to now. Moderate Republican commentators might as well not exist

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Cythereal posted:

Trump really is a symptom rather than a disease. Same goes for those bundy morons and whoever declared them not guilty. They give zero shits about right, wrong, or democracy. They yell louder and have more guns and money so they are rightfully in charge. If anybody else wins an election it's rigged.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Aesop Poprock posted:

Being scared of George Will in the era of Trump's anti-reason populism is like being more concerned that you have the flu when there's a tornado about to hit your house. The far right lying mills are the groups people are paying attention to now. Moderate Republican commentators might as well not exist

Eh they have spent 50 years putting a respectable face on Trump's ideas, conditioning "moderate" Republicans to believe that it's not racist to target nonwhites for profiling and disenfranchisement and discrimination as long as you don't come out and say "I hate black people because of their skin and for no other reason", rebranding racist lies as criticism of black culture, generally legitimising the idea that anytime a POC complains about any kind of injustice they're just making it up to guilt whites into giving them free stuff, and making up a bunch of dumb culture war bullshit about embryos and science is a liberal lie and the gay agenda and Democrats are soft-on-commiemuzzie traitors.

They're the ones who have allowed this disease to flourish in the Republican Party. They're the reason there's such a feverish fear of abortion doctors and condoms and The Gays that so many Republicans are more concerned about whether the supreme court will let Texas and Alabama ban the abortions and the slut pills than whether the next president is an incompetent know-nothing maniac and a disgrace to the nation.

People like Will are the bigger threat. Without their decades of work putting a pious face and a suit-and-tie on bigotry and hatred, and inviting it into the party to create a competitive coalition, these yahoos would never have been in a position to hijack a major party in one of the world's largest democracies with the most powerful military on planet Earth.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 4, 2016

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

What scares me is the Infowars poo poo going mainstream. Drudge had a link to Alex Jones at the top of his page earlier today. He's been linking to him for a long time, but this time there was no story attached. It was just a link to the Infowars main site with a "WATCH ALEX JONES..... LINK" headline right at the top of his page. It's surreal. I still remember when Jones was just some unknown lunatic in Austin.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Kenzie posted:

What scares me is the Infowars poo poo going mainstream.

This shouldn't scare you. Conspiracy theory/white supremacist junk is like toxic mold. It flourishes in dark damp environments. The quickest way to kill it is to bring it out into the open and subject it to scrutiny.

Trump has been the grand marshal of a parade of conspiracy theories that have been kicking around for literal decades that most traditional media felt it was beneath them to cover or there was no reason to cover as they were "obviously bullshit."

So the GOP base has convinced themselves traditional media is trying to cover it all up. Trump mentioning that stuff in debates and press conferences and forcing traditional media to engage with it has been tremendous. Conservatives have been saying for years "well if our presidential candidate went out there and told it like it is and said <racist conspiracy theory> the silent majority would win out!" and it turns out they're way loving wrong.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question but I feel like the folks in this thread will best be able to answer: What is the history of black people in America post-1968, according to modern conservative Americans? They seem to think that Democrats have 'mentally enslaved' black people and made them dependent through the the Welfare State and denigrating them through the 'low expectations' of affirmative action and lax-crime laws.

So can someone give me a quick primer on what the narrative is that justifies these views? Do conservatives believe there was a massive conspiracy to create this racist system? Who were the evil Democrat architects of this system?

How the hell did this become the version of history believed by roughly half of the country?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

cult member at airport posted:

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question but I feel like the folks in this thread will best be able to answer: What is the history of black people in America post-1968, according to modern conservative Americans? They seem to think that Democrats have 'mentally enslaved' black people and made them dependent through the the Welfare State and denigrating them through the 'low expectations' of affirmative action and lax-crime laws.

So can someone give me a quick primer on what the narrative is that justifies these views? Do conservatives believe there was a massive conspiracy to create this racist system? Who were the evil Democrat architects of this system?

How the hell did this become the version of history believed by roughly half of the country?

The world is just, you see. And ANYONE can rise up no matter their background/situation. So obviously Democrats are enslaving and targeting blacks for hand outs, and in return get votes, because they don't need help in our obvious just world, I made it all by myself, why cant YOU, are you some kind of lazy slob? I work harder than anyone.

Its quite the thing to see people flat out deny white privilege.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 4, 2016

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
"Just World" delusion, mostly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Chilichimp posted:

"Just World" delusion, mostly

Not empty quoting. But yes.

That and because a minority/immigrant/undesirable succeeded despite the system being against them means that the system wasn't actually against them at all.

Rick_Hunter fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Nov 4, 2016