Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Dumb question: How do i customize my tank? I see people rolling with flamethrowers and poo poo. I want in on that, but I cant see the menu for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Attack Planes (all attack planes have a tail gunner with a LMG):
default: autocannon, 8x small bombs, can drop spotting flares
4th of july: HMG, 8x explosive rockets, can boost speed
tank hunter: tank cannon, 2x medium bombs, can repair a busted wing

the default is the champ here, although the rockets can be useful for taking down airships. The tank hunter is kind of hilarious but it's also a thousand times harder to hit anything with it

Bombers (all bombers have a tail gunner with a LMG and a front gunner with an autocannon):
default: 2x massive bombs, 2x medium bombs, can use a camera to autospot enemies you fly over
firestarter: 9x incendiary bombs, 16x small bombs, can repair a busted wing
torpedo: a loving torpedo, 2x large bombs, can fix a busted wing

the default is again probably the best since it can deal with infantry but also completely ruin tanks, but the fire bomber can be devastating in operations if your team has a handle on their armor. The torpedo bomber is again kind of hilarious but really the only think you can reliably hit with it are behemoths, which should shoot you down most of the time

Fighters:
default: dual HMGs, can speed boost and emergency repair
anti bomber: single high caliber HMG, 6x explosive rockets, can speed boost
trench fighter: dual LMGs, explosive dart bombs, can drop spotting flares

unless you're 100% committed to only shooting other planes, the trench fighter is the winner here. You can make swooping divebombs against infantry, and it's also incredibly effective against airships

I just want to point out that in a trench fighter you're fast enough to pass over a bomber (even catch up from directly behind) and drop your flechettes on him which pretty much guarantees you will at least destroy the engine. 9 out of 10 times I immediately kill everyone in the plane. Doesn't work well if they have a competent tail gunner, but still very satisfying.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Too bad that Soviet trench bomber with a bomb bay full of submachine guns with the trigger mechanisms wired together was from WW2.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

paint dry posted:

Is everyone else having insane texture bugs? Like I'm pretty sure German tanks didn't have rainbow camouflage.

They were like that for me in the single player campaign.

Edit: Not rainbow color. More like a mix of yellow and red patches.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 3, 2016

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

GyverMac posted:

Dumb question: How do i customize my tank? I see people rolling with flamethrowers and poo poo. I want in on that, but I cant see the menu for it.

Use the companion on the website.

Kyuzo
Aug 14, 2002

s.i.r.e. posted:

Use the companion on the website.

Is this still working for people? I hit the login button, but it just reloads the page without me being logged in. It was working fine about a week ago, but not now.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kyuzo posted:

Is this still working for people? I hit the login button, but it just reloads the page without me being logged in. It was working fine about a week ago, but not now.

I can log in but selecting load-out just keeps spinning, it does however, work on my phone app.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Luigi Thirty posted:

Too bad that Soviet trench bomber with a bomb bay full of submachine guns with the trigger mechanisms wired together was from WW2.

loving excuse me? Links??

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

GyverMac posted:

Click customize, the exact same way you unlock everything else.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Pharmaskittle posted:

http://www.guns.com/2013/06/29/the-fire-hedgehog/

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Pharmaskittle posted:

The Tupolev Tu-2Sh. It was a prototype going for a cheap way to "accurately" attack trains and other vehicles.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dezztroy posted:

God drat it I missed my chance to get the Edelweiss skin. All/most of these new skins are for lovely guns.

This is actually not at all true. Plenty of times I've picked a tank or plane, gone to customize it, and find out that the game gave it to someone else when I go back to the map. Couple of friends have had the same thing.

well, I've never had it happen and I dick around on customization a lot

I'd say thats not by design

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Where's the BF1 optimization thread on Reddit? I can't find it.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Luigi Thirty posted:

The Tupolev Tu-2Sh. It was a prototype going for a cheap way to "accurately" attack trains and other vehicles.

This rules, but for some reason in my head I thought of an omnidirectional ball of smgs that was dropped like a bomb and started firing in all directions after hitting the ground, which is somehow only a LITTLE more bizarre than the real idea.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

A failure of communication between pilots.

https://streamable.com/fjtn

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

We're getting into a rhythm now

s.i.r.e. posted:

Where's the BF1 optimization thread on Reddit? I can't find it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Battlefield/comments/57nh6y/bf1_performance_tips_for_pc_potentially_huge_fps/

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Smoke Grenades and Bayonets are such a blast. I'm sure you can shoot bullets with these guns but do you really need too?

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
how long until the A-10 sees a nerf? The hunter is soooooooo good holy poo poo. it's SO good. gas, no gas, range, no range, it's amazing

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

MadBimber posted:

how long until the A-10 sees a nerf? The hunter is soooooooo good holy poo poo. it's SO good. gas, no gas, range, no range, it's amazing

I'm hoping it stays OP until I can get level 10 for that glorious Hellriegel action.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

It's weird that even when my team can't figure out which end of the bayonet goes in the other guy I still have a lot of fun playing this. Shotgun Assault is a blast and on Fao Fortress people basically line up for cavalry charges, I ended up with 30 kills in a round from doing that for most of the time and no one had a really good way to stop me besides going prone so I couldn't swipe them.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Thanks.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I'm hoping it stays OP until I can get level 10 for that glorious Hellriegel action.

This, because although the Automatico is a hipfire beast, the SMGs, in general, have negative ammunition, and you basically need to magdump to get a kill (or two, with the MP18). I'm actually enjoying Assault the least out of all the classes.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
I get bayonet charged five times for every enemy I kill with one. :( 90% of the time they get killed within seconds though.

How do you charge and survive? It flies against my typical reaction to break line of sight and flank in CQC. I also have a serious habit of shadowing enemy squads for chain stabbing.

Do you bait them around corners? Is it worth charging in a active firefight? Does anyone know how people can turn around midsprint and stab you with a charge at point blank range?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Gonkish posted:

This, because although the Automatico is a hipfire beast, the SMGs, in general, have negative ammunition, and you basically need to magdump to get a kill (or two, with the MP18). I'm actually enjoying Assault the least out of all the classes.

I only have about 25 hours in this game, and like 23 of them are assault. I just can't get into any other class. Sniping is super boring and I haven't unlocked the infantry or carbine guns yet, I don't like the LMGs on support, and I like medic but just not as much as assault. I really love just loving up tanks though. Nothing makes my day more than tearing down a landship all by myself. And I really love hurling gas grenades in and then going to town with the shotgun. Any time fog descends on a level I just start rampaging, it's awesome. I do wish they'd fix that loving grenade delay bug. I've died more times than I can count because I threw a gas grenade and forced someone out of position, but they charge me and I'm just impotently mashing my fire key while it does nothing.

But yeah, the SMGs are fairly garbage. I play with the 10-A hunter mostly, but I swap out for the MP10 Optical or whatever sometimes. It just feels so week, like it takes a solid 2 seconds of firing to take someone down. I obviously haven't used the Hellreigel but I've been splattered by it enough to see how good it is.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Lazyfire posted:

It's weird that even when my team can't figure out which end of the bayonet goes in the other guy I still have a lot of fun playing this. Shotgun Assault is a blast and on Fao Fortress people basically line up for cavalry charges, I ended up with 30 kills in a round from doing that for most of the time and no one had a really good way to stop me besides going prone so I couldn't swipe them.

You can trample people if you run them over directly.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Justin Credible posted:

You can trample people if you run them over directly.

I know, I just meant that they would prone as I approached so my sword missed

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
I don't know how or why but my ragdoll attempted atmospheric flight without the assistance of explosives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3NmS3c5OwM

And I really love hurling gas grenades in and then going to town with the shotgun. Any time fog descends on a level I just start rampaging, it's awesome. I do wish they'd fix that loving grenade delay bug. I've died more times than I can count because I threw a gas grenade and forced someone out of position, but they charge me and I'm just impotently mashing my fire key while it does nothing.

But yeah, the SMGs are fairly garbage. I play with the 10-A hunter mostly, but I swap out for the MP10 Optical or whatever sometimes. It just feels so week, like it takes a solid 2 seconds of firing to take someone down. I obviously haven't used the Hellreigel but I've been splattered by it enough to see how good it is.

SMGs have roughly the same max damage and falloff as carbines from previous games however. The controllability of the MP18 and the vertical recoil on the Automatico make it really easy to score headshots. As for your purposes, the Hellreigel is unsuited for gas mask use. The hipfire on it is worse than the Automatico or MP18 by a large margin.

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Got them WMD's! Got that Pandemic!
Payday came and I was dumb enough to pick up tittyfall and give EA more money. It's fun, but god drat is it ugly compared to baef1. Anyway now I need to unlock my kolibri :3:

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I love all these class/weapon posts that people are making but because I've not levelled anything yet, there not of any use to me. Is there a Reddit thread for weapons/classes that have all this information in one place so I can refer to it when I actually do level up? All I see on that loving subreddit is a bunch of multi-kill gifs.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

the default artillery truck is actually a ton of fun, the mortar one is good if you really want to grind a high kdr in operations I guess? if you pick an AA-truck and the other team doesn't have an airship I can only assume you are the most boring person in the world
did they tone down the ridiculous arc on the regular one? I tried it a few times in beta and it had shorter effective range than any of the tank shells unless you were some kind of wizard/aimbot.

AA truck is super fun on Sinai, the gun is effective against everything at all ranges and you also have the driver MG if someone is shooting back.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Looten Plunder posted:

I love all these class/weapon posts that people are making but because I've not levelled anything yet, there not of any use to me. Is there a Reddit thread for weapons/classes that have all this information in one place so I can refer to it when I actually do level up? All I see on that loving subreddit is a bunch of multi-kill gifs.

Honestly you get enough warbux to buy anything you want, just stay away from factory variants.

Everything not labeled "factory" is a sidegrade for the most part. As an example I thought the Mondragon Storm owned bones until I got the M1907 SL Sweeper and now I switch between the two. It comes down to personal preference.

One thing I will say is check out all the gadgets up front and buy whatever you might be remotely interested in there. They're cheap but for me they have a bigger playstyle effect than choice of gun.

Ra-amun
Feb 25, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Yeah I almost always see seats open on the dreadnought because it sucks rear end and gets blown out of the water almost instantly by torpedo boats that it can do literally nothing against.

Need to give it some depth charges or something.

Also I don't think I've seen single behemoth with the early enlister skins - how does that even work? Does the game just pick a person at random from the team and if they've got the skins, it spawns with one?

Last page but whatever, I found it super easy to kill all the torpedo boats as long as I was keeping super vigilant about spotting them in the distance and unloading on them with the AA as soon as possible. They die in no time with the AA guns; if you keep them spotted, all you have to do is shoot below the red dot since you can shoot through the ship. As for the shore guns, I'm pretty sure they die instantly to the ship guns if you hit anywhere close to them, which isn't hard consider you just point and click on a map and it takes like 8 seconds to adjust and get another one out there.

Now the hard part is that this relies on actual brain filled pubbies in whatever other slots on the ship that you aren't in. If you've got a lovely driver, chances are that he doesn't even have the ship angled/close enough for you to shell anything important. If you have bad AA gunners, you probably have two torpedo boats point blank on you killing your poo poo and if your main guns aren't doing anything, you're probably getting killed from the shore.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I only have about 25 hours in this game, and like 23 of them are assault. I just can't get into any other class. Sniping is super boring and I haven't unlocked the infantry or carbine guns yet, I don't like the LMGs on support, and I like medic but just not as much as assault. I really love just loving up tanks though. Nothing makes my day more than tearing down a landship all by myself. And I really love hurling gas grenades in and then going to town with the shotgun. Any time fog descends on a level I just start rampaging, it's awesome. I do wish they'd fix that loving grenade delay bug. I've died more times than I can count because I threw a gas grenade and forced someone out of position, but they charge me and I'm just impotently mashing my fire key while it does nothing.

You like stabbing people to death in a shootmans game, albeit with your Bayonet? Because if you play with it a bit the Scout is pretty much the best for that. Shoot a spotting flare, see where people are and maybe set them on fire with it. Run up behind someone and stab them. See multiples? Shoot a blinding flare, set them on fire, shank their disoriented asses.

But yeah, I totally feel you on how fun Assault is. I'm coming to like Medic and Support better now that I got a few tools and weapons I can work with. But there's a reason I'm level 3 rear end and only level 1 anything else.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Looten Plunder posted:

Not a ton to unlock in this Battlefield, and I'm thankful for that. I was basking in some Bad Company 2 nostalgia the other day, but saw the unlocks screen and felt glad we don't have all that any more. Check this site to compare some guns you might think about buying, just pay attention to fire-rate since it's not so apparent on the layout:

http://symthic.com/bf1-stats

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Alkydere posted:

You like stabbing people to death in a shootmans game, albeit with your Bayonet?

I feel like this is heresy, but I usually don't play with a bayonet attatched exclusively for ~*~fashion~*~ reasons. I hardly every get a successful charge and I think they look dumb, so I just stopped using them. I do want to get the sweet Bedouin dagger though.

I got a couple skins for the Gewehr and I want to unlock something I can use medium-long range with. I prefer something without a scope but with decent range, are any of the infantry/carbine guns like that? I'd like to play scout more like a marksman than a sniper, IE good decent-long range bolt-action rifles, but not sitting alone at the edge of a map waiting for people to run into the open.

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

I feel like this is heresy, but I usually don't play with a bayonet attatched exclusively for ~*~fashion~*~ reasons. I hardly every get a successful charge and I think they look dumb, so I just stopped using them. I do want to get the sweet Bedouin dagger though.

I got a couple skins for the Gewehr and I want to unlock something I can use medium-long range with. I prefer something without a scope but with decent range, are any of the infantry/carbine guns like that? I'd like to play scout more like a marksman than a sniper, IE good decent-long range bolt-action rifles, but not sitting alone at the edge of a map waiting for people to run into the open.

gewehr m95 infantry or russian 1895 infantry

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It is hilarious how many pubbies don't seem to get that toe to toe melee range is a death sentence with the sentry kits.

I've killed at least five Flametrooper guys by more or less grabbing them and stubbing them in the gut as the flames engulf us both.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

On that same topic, what are the things that level up the Scout class specifically? For Assault I know taking points and (maybe) killing vehicles, and Medic and Support get points for healing and reloading/repairing stuff. I assume Scouts get it for spotting and...flaring people maybe?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Sintax posted:

Not a ton to unlock in this Battlefield, and I'm thankful for that. I was basking in some Bad Company 2 nostalgia the other day, but saw the unlocks screen and felt glad we don't have all that any more. Check this site to compare some guns you might think about buying, just pay attention to fire-rate since it's not so apparent on the layout:

http://symthic.com/bf1-stats
Yeah BC2 did some reaallly loving dumb stufff like meds/ammo requiring a level up to unlock, and the only perk worth using was mag ammo or explosive stuff with carl. Also a lot of the guns were straight up better like AN94 and having to wait like 20 levels to get was kind of bad, or being useless in air till you got smoke flare. But it did have simple unlocks unlike bf3 which was an unfun clusterfuck of unlocks and a bad game in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

On that same topic, what are the things that level up the Scout class specifically? For Assault I know taking points and (maybe) killing vehicles, and Medic and Support get points for healing and reloading/repairing stuff. I assume Scouts get it for spotting and...flaring people maybe?

Spotting, traps and mid to long range fuckery.