Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
My co-worker and I do the same 43 mile commute, most of it is 75-80mph freeway miles. He gets about 42 mpg with his Gen3 Prius, I get 33mpg with my 2012 Fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Zosologist posted:

Also I can buy a Ford Flex and pretend it's a station wagon, right?

I'm on my second Flex after the wife totaled the first one and I loving love it. The second row is like sitting on a sofa, it's so roomy!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The "issue" with the Prius highway mileage is that there is less benefit to the hybrid drivetrain. The gas engine is already efficient at load and there's limited opportunity for gaining energy via regenerative braking.

I did have a coworker with what must've been a second-gen Prius at the time who did encounter reduced performance when they'd fully drained the HV battery while flogging it up I17 on the way out of Phoenix. But unless your commute includes a climb of ~800 feet over about a mile and a half, this isn't something you'll run into (and probably could've been avoided with a better running start, so to speak).

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mother-in-law wants to get a car because she's sick of borrowing ours to make trips around town. She's on a fixed income and lives with us so her budget is tight, but she won't be putting much mileage on it. Plus our uncle is a mechanic and can inspect/repair anything that comes up at cost.

Proposed Budget: $2500
New or Used: Used Obviously
Body Style: Mid-sized sedan. She's a big lady so compacts are out
How will you be using the car?: Strictly to go from house to grocery to church and back. Less than 1k miles/yr, no freeway driving.
What aspects are most important to you? Cheap and semi-reliable. Looking at used the Hondas and Toyotas have a minimum price floor above our range so they're probably out. ~100k miles we're seeing some early 2000s Ford Tauruses in our range that seem like decent buys (she had one previously), not sure what other models we should be looking at.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I'm kind of liking the Prius Prime but my commute would run the EV range out and I can't charge at work. I wish Toyota would step up with a real EV range Prius.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Ammanas posted:

Those are great cars but they are huge, heavy, and thirsty as hell.

Yup, I average about 15mpg in my 3.8L AWD G80 in the city. It absolutely guzzles premium. Of course I have a serious lead foot problem so that's not helping.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

JnnyThndrs posted:

My co-worker and I do the same 43 mile commute, most of it is 75-80mph freeway miles. He gets about 42 mpg with his Gen3 Prius, I get 33mpg with my 2012 Fit.

Exactly the information I needed. Thank you.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
What's the deal with buying used Nissan Leafs? My local market seems completely flooded with 2014 and 2015 Leafs for around $7k-10k asking price used. 1-3 year old cars with ~20k miles for $8k sounds pretty drat good, what's going on?

Some of these are local, some involve shipping, but take a look: https://www.carvana.com/search/pages/1-to-3?SortBy=MostPopular&Models=aP&YearMin=2006&YearMax=2016

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 2, 2016

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
New EVs have a lot of tax incentives and the leaf is no spring chicken, so they have to be priced low to compete with 500e leases.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Twerk from Home posted:

What's the deal with buying used Nissan Leafs? My local market seems completely flooded with 2014 and 2015 Leafs for around $7k-10k asking price used. 1-3 year old cars with ~20k miles for $8k sounds pretty drat good, what's going on?

Some of these are local, some involve shipping, but take a look: https://www.carvana.com/search/pages/1-to-3?SortBy=MostPopular&Models=aP&YearMin=2006&YearMax=2016

Batteries are done.

IOwnCalculus posted:

The "issue" with the Prius highway mileage is that there is less benefit to the hybrid drivetrain. The gas engine is already efficient at load and there's limited opportunity for gaining energy via regenerative braking.

I did have a coworker with what must've been a second-gen Prius at the time who did encounter reduced performance when they'd fully drained the HV battery while flogging it up I17 on the way out of Phoenix. But unless your commute includes a climb of ~800 feet over about a mile and a half, this isn't something you'll run into (and probably could've been avoided with a better running start, so to speak).

The Prius gas engine is still more efficient than most cars because it runs on (a version of) the Atkinson cycle, which is more efficient than the Otto cycle that most regular cars use.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

Batteries are done.

Wait, what? 2 year old cars with 20k mileage on them have dead batteries? I know Leafs had very limited range, but that can't be true, can it?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

nm posted:

New EVs have a lot of tax incentives and the leaf is no spring chicken, so they have to be priced low to compete with 500e leases.

The Fiat 500e is only available in the state of California, so I don't think it's really a relevant competitor in most of the US.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Its because the Leaf is not a good car and the 'thrill' of an EV wears off super fast. There's a reason Tesla started with a luxury car.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Internet Explorer posted:

Wait, what? 2 year old cars with 20k mileage on them have dead batteries? I know Leafs had very limited range, but that can't be true, can it?

It looks like they would have typically lost at least 15% of the battery capacity at that point, maybe more in hot climates. So it's not "done", but if your commute was already close to its max range when new then it's not going to be an attractive buy. Nissan will replace the battery under warranty if you lose more than 3 bars out of 12 (actually about 30% of the battery capacity, the bars are not all the same amount) over 5 years 60k miles.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

It looks like they would have typically lost at least 15% of the battery capacity at that point, maybe more in hot climates. So it's not "done", but if your commute was already close to its max range when new then it's not going to be an attractive buy. Nissan will replace the battery under warranty if you lose more than 3 bars out of 12 (actually about 30% of the battery capacity, the bars are not all the same amount) over 5 years 60k miles.

I didn't know that. That makes these 2 year old 20k mile cars look even more attractive, you've got a guaranteed minimum battery health over the next couple years. If most of them hit that number here in Houston, those cars are a steal. $8k for a 2 year old Leaf, and you get a free battery replacement in 3 years? Hot drat.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Proposed Budget: 10-15k
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Hatchback
How will you be using the car?: Commute, the occasional road trip
What aspects are most important to you? I'm pretty set on getting a Japanese or Korean car, fuel economy and dependability come first but it would be nice to get something marginally fun to drive.

I test drove a Veloster, a Versa Note, and a Yaris today. Right now I'm leaning Yaris just for Toyota dependability, but it's a pretty boring car. I liked the Veloster except for the ridiculously bad rear viability. I feel like I would have liked the Note better if the salesman hadn't been so drat pushy about how drat wonderful they are.
I wanted to make it to the Mazda dealership today but I'm pretty burned out on telling people I'm not buying a car yet. Any models I shouldn't miss before I make my decision?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Caseman posted:

What aspects are most important to you? I'm pretty set on getting a Japanese or Korean car, fuel economy and dependability come first but it would be nice to get something marginally fun to drive.
I wanted to make it to the Mazda dealership today but I'm pretty burned out on telling people I'm not buying a car yet. Any models I shouldn't miss before I make my decision?

I was in the same boat you are and ended up with a Honda Fit Sport. They're hard to find used at a decent price, but they're a lot more fun than a Note/Yaris, especially with better tires. Reliability and resale value is phenomenal.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

You really really should look at a Mazda3

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yes if "fun" is on your list for a small cheap economy car Mazda3 is the answer.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

FCKGW posted:

Mother-in-law wants to get a car because she's sick of borrowing ours to make trips around town. She's on a fixed income and lives with us so her budget is tight, but she won't be putting much mileage on it. Plus our uncle is a mechanic and can inspect/repair anything that comes up at cost.

Proposed Budget: $2500
New or Used: Used Obviously
Body Style: Mid-sized sedan. She's a big lady so compacts are out
How will you be using the car?: Strictly to go from house to grocery to church and back. Less than 1k miles/yr, no freeway driving.
What aspects are most important to you? Cheap and semi-reliable. Looking at used the Hondas and Toyotas have a minimum price floor above our range so they're probably out. ~100k miles we're seeing some early 2000s Ford Tauruses in our range that seem like decent buys (she had one previously), not sure what other models we should be looking at.

Ford Crown Vic or Mercury Grand Marquis. Possibly Chevrolet Impala.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm not fully convinced that you need a minivan or similar sized vehicle for two kids.

Not when they are small, you just throw two carseats in the back, and shovel it out with a manure fork every so often. But when you've got junior-high age kids, they've got friends, and you'll be swapping rides/carpooling/taking people to do poo poo with your family a fair bit, and then a 3rd row is going to get weekly use.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ammanas posted:

Its because the Leaf is not a good car and the 'thrill' of an EV wears off super fast. There's a reason Tesla started with a luxury car.

Tesla started with a sports car, not a luxury car. It was an electric drivetrain swap Lotus Elise any by all accounts it was hilariously fun to drive.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Motronic posted:

Tesla started with a sports car, not a luxury car. It was an electric drivetrain swap Lotus Elise any by all accounts it was hilariously fun to drive.

You know even I forget that Tesla's first car was the Roadster. They've held value pretty well too.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Motronic posted:

Yes the roadster is absolutely hilariously fun to drive. I don't comfortably fit in them with the roof on though. If I were shorter or lived somewhere it was sunny all the time I would have bought one in summer 2013. They took in a bunch of them as trade in on Model S, and were briefly blowing them out to employees at really reduced pricing.

But yeah, they are like driving a go-kart that does a 3.8 second 0-60.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Was the Roadster really that good? I feel like the weight would take away a lot of the fun.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Was the Roadster really that good? I feel like the weight would take away a lot of the fun.

I mean I only drove them on public roads, maybe 5 or 6 times from 15-30 minutes at a go. I enjoyed it a lot but I have never driven the Elise to compare it to. Almost all of my fast driving and track driving in my life has been in various police cars. It is heavier and I think the COG is higher than the Elise but I felt it handled pretty well.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Ammanas posted:

Those are great cars but they are huge, heavy, and thirsty as hell.

Here's hoping the custom license plate "LND YCHT" is available.

The BMW 550i was a hell of a car to drive (and plenty thirsty when you drove it with any enthusiasm), but I need a little more space (should never have gotten rid of my 750 in hindsight) and the Genesis (either of them really) is a hell of a value. I would have just bought it but for some reason they weren't giving $10k+ discounts on purchases like they are for leases... (this is a rhetorical question).

To the guy thinking about a Flex: just get a minivan. The sliding doors really are nice and if you have a spouse and two kids: what happens when you want to drive parents/friends/kid carpool around? You don't need extra seats for the four of you in your family, you need extra seats for the other people you end up wanting to drive around. (I'm getting Mrs Mango a minivan next, that sweet sweet BMW money is burning a hole in my pocket)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Ultimate Mango posted:

To the guy thinking about a Flex: just get a minivan. The sliding doors really are nice and if you have a spouse and two kids: what happens when you want to drive parents/friends/kid carpool around? You don't need extra seats for the four of you in your family, you need extra seats for the other people you end up wanting to drive around. (I'm getting Mrs Mango a minivan next, that sweet sweet BMW money is burning a hole in my pocket)

Alternatively, don't listen to this and get what you want.

The Flex gives up a little bit of convenience in exchange for a what might be a boatload of style depending on your aesthetic/emotional/style preferences.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Ever driven a supercharged Lotus? It's like that but with more torque.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I've got a dealer down to $22075 out the door (so far) on a 2016 Civic EX-T. Are there any significant differences between the '16 and '17 models? I can't find a whole lot online regarding whether the '17 had a better ride, fewer issues, etc.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I would be inclined to buy the 2017 because it is very likely that there were a lot of incremental improvements in the model year refresh that don't really make headlines but will significantly improve overall reliability.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I would be inclined to buy the 2017 because it is very likely that there were a lot of incremental improvements in the model year refresh that don't really make headlines but will significantly improve overall reliability.

They changed the windshield wipers to parallel left-to-right for some reason and I can't stand that they switched from the much cooler both-spring-upward method. :colbert:

Also, wife finally decided on the Fit and got the package with paddle shifters and holy poo poo that is a fun, responsive automobile!

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Caseman posted:

I test drove a Veloster, a Versa Note, and a Yaris today. Right now I'm leaning Yaris just for Toyota dependability, but it's a pretty boring car. I liked the Veloster except for the ridiculously bad rear viability. I feel like I would have liked the Note better if the salesman hadn't been so drat pushy about how drat wonderful they are.

I took a hard left and ended up with a 2010 Honda Accord EX-L with 46k miles for $1k more than the 2014 Yaris. The mpg and reliability were close enough to trade up in comfort. Thanks for the help, goons.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Bill NYSE posted:

Also, wife finally decided on the Fit and got the package with paddle shifters and holy poo poo that is a fun, responsive automobile!

I've been pimping the Fit in this thread for exactly this reason - well, that and it's anvil-like reliability. If you don't need the extra 30% fuel mileage of the Prius and you have enough $$$ so that you don't have to buy the cheapest possible econobox, the Fit is a pro-tier choice.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

berzerkmonkey posted:

Ok, I was reading on some posts saying that people were seeing drops down to the low 40s (which is obviously still good mpg,) but there were also hypermileing maniacs in the mix, so I didn't know how much information was true, and how much was "I heard from a friend who saw a spreadsheet..."

I took a 10 hour road trip in a rented Prius C and averaged a hair over 49 mpg going between 65 and 75 mph most of the way.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Does anyone have any thoughts and/or serious reservations about using a site like Carvana.com or Vroom.com to buy a vehicle? I understand you can't actually test drive or inspect the vehicle, but is that a deal breaker for folks here?

I'm looking for a 2012-13 CR-V with a reasonable amount of miles ~50-70k in the $15-16k range, if that influences anyone's response.

Thanks, thread!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I've wanted to use Carvana but it seems overpriced. You're right that you can't inspect ahead of time but they have a money back guarantee. If you're financing that seems like it could be a pain to deal with, but cash sounds like it would be a reasonable affair.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I've wanted to use Carvana but it seems overpriced. You're right that you can't inspect ahead of time but they have a money back guarantee. If you're financing that seems like it could be a pain to deal with, but cash sounds like it would be a reasonable affair.

Thanks for the reply! I think that's a fair point about the price. Although, my thinking is that you're essentially getting a certified used vehicle (warranty might not be as good as a dealer) for a very close price when it comes to the CR-Vs, at least.

When it comes to financing, they offer pretty competitive rates. Compared to the best local credit union around me their rates are right on par. I would probably go through them for the financing, but maybe I'm missing something when you mention it might be a pain.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

berzerkmonkey posted:

I've got a dealer down to $22075 out the door (so far) on a 2016 Civic EX-T. Are there any significant differences between the '16 and '17 models? I can't find a whole lot online regarding whether the '17 had a better ride, fewer issues, etc.

FYI, the 2016 Civic is the first civic consumer reports hasn't recommended since the early 80s due to reliability issues. Maybe they've fixed the 17s, but I would avoid the 16s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I've got my 2 back (update coming soon) but I'm thinking of making it pavement only. Thus I'm looking for something to run for the winter until it's cycle weather again. I'm trying to keep it under $5000, as well. Commute is a little freeway, some mountains, and then a long as dirt road that turns into a mud/ice bog for the winter with 6 inch standing water and slick mud. So far, the best two things I've found have been a 1998 Frontier 4WD, manual, with 103k on it and a 2004 Liberty 4WD, manual, with 142K. I don't know much about the Frontiers other than that they have a reputation for slowness and offroad ability. I did the test and development work on the JK, so I have a LOT of offroad miles in them, and I like their dynamics. But I'm not sure about their long term reliability.

I'm also looking into Suzuki Grand Vitaras and XL-7s, since there seem to be a lot for sale, but they're all autos. Same with the one good CR-V I found.

Thoughts?