Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I just went to the local Ukrainian grocery and bought some Russian smoked sprats in oil plus fresh made pumpernickel bread. Sprat are really I think superior to the Sardine. They're a little bit meatier in my experience. Honestly, toasted pumpernickel with sprats is one of my favorite things. The next favorite would be cramming my rear end with Captain Crunch cereal putting on a eye patch and raiding a English Galleon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Mango salsa is loving vile you orcs

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug

Herr Tog posted:

where did you order these from?

just off amazon, was a decent but not great price per tin, but it was payday and I felt like splurging a bit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KOUKK6

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E0N005I

anyone tried these yet?

I have yet to find 'hot' deens that are really spicy, the nuri's and such are good but always need some more fire added. sure would be nice to have a couple tins of serious heat fishes in reserve.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

im going to eat so much rye bread and pickled herring and red onions and mayonaise open face sandwiches tomorrow

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sheep-Goats posted:

I agree with you on that, although a good mango chutney can have its uses.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

Lathespin.gif posted:

anyone tried these yet?

I have yet to find 'hot' deens that are really spicy, the nuri's and such are good but always need some more fire added. sure would be nice to have a couple tins of serious heat fishes in reserve.

Mouth Full of Sardines blog guy says they're bad. Red can got 0/5 and yellow can got 2/5. http://mouth-full-of-sardines.blogspot.com/2011/07/titus-26.html

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

bengy81 posted:

For real, mango salsa is great, especially with fish or chicken. Also fun thing to try, next time you make pico, dice some mango and toss it in, you won't be disappointed!

One of my favorite foods these days is a modified poke or don bowl with chilled raw or seared ahi tuna cubes, sticky rice, and diced avocado, mango, and kiwi, topped with tempura flakes, masago, and spicy mayo. I used to always turn to sandwiches or pasta for comfort food, but that bowl is perfection.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
in pretty picky about salsa ive never really found a store bought kind that i like

the garden fresh gourmet stuff some people gave been recommending is pretty good tho

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I like Harvest Farms' Organic "Volcanic Salsa" which has habanero, and Mrs. Renfro's Ghost Pepper salsa. There's a salsa thread but it doesn't get much traffic and there isn't much dad talk. :(

Also mango salsa/chutney is delicious on grilled swordfish.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 6, 2016

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
I got yet another coupon from King Oscar for a free tin after posting on their Halloween contest thread. I cannot recommend enough following their Facebook page and participating in their giveaways. I think this is like the 6th or 7th thing I've gotten from them.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I had a can of Port Charles fish steaks for dinner tonight, after a can of Haddon House smoked oysters last night. The smoked oysters weren't very good (I've had much better brands, but don't remember them), but the fish steaks weren't bad. They're herring fillets in soybean oil, and they are superior to the Beach Cliff ones I used to buy. (Still not as good as Blue Hill Bay pickled herring in the big jar that I used to be able to find at Costco, but what is?)

Port Charles fish steaks and sardines are all from Poland, and I only ever see them at Bravo Supermarket, which is aimed at the Latino demographic. I get my absolute favorite 'dines there, a Peruvian brand that I can't find any information about online, for $1.39 per can.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
How are Beach Cliff Fish Steaks? The can says they are bite sized herring; I love the Crown Prince smoked herring but haven't had anything else.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

pahuyuth posted:

How are Beach Cliff Fish Steaks? The can says they are bite sized herring; I love the Crown Prince smoked herring but haven't had anything else.

They're okay, if you like herring. But they aren't smoked, so you probably won't like them as much as the Crown Prince. I went through a phase where I was eating the Beach Cliff fish steaks in hot sauce for a while, but the quality of their hot sauce is really poor.

Whenever you see "Kippered Snacks," that's smoked herring -- I believe Brunswick has a pretty cheap one.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Best cheap smoked herring is Polar ime

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I finally found Polars at the goddamn Walmart here. Like $1.50 a tin.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
If anyone can ever get pickled herring that comes in a jar, try it. You'll probably love it. I developed a taste when I was a kid, and my family would get bagels and nova salmon and cream cheese on Sunday mornings, and also a jar of pickled herring, either in wine sauce (vinegary and sweet, with lots of thin-sliced onions floating in there) or sour cream sauce (also with onions). It's absolutely delicious, and tastes like such a luxury compared to 'dines and canned herring.

My Costco used to sell big jars of Blue Hill Bay brand pickled herring in wine sauce, which is sometimes also labeled Acme -- a major smoked and cured fish producer based in Brooklyn. They sell it at Whole Foods too, with different varieties: wine sauce, sour cream sauce, mustard sauce, dill sauce, and I think there's a spicy one. Of course it's much more expensive there, for much smaller jars. Publix supermarket carries Vita brand, both wine sauce and sour cream sauce, in the refrigerated case near the seafood, where they have the sushi. The other place I've seen it is IKEA, in the grocery section -- their own house brand, but probably the Blue Hill Bay varieties, relabeled.

Seriously, if you can find it, the people in this thread should all appreciate it. Have it with toasted bagels, Ritz crackers, or those terrible Scandinavian crispbreads that I wish I could like, but I just find them hard and flavorless and disgusting.

EDIT: Awwww yeah:
http://www.acmesmokedfish.com/produ...ems_per_page=12

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 7, 2016

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Look Sir Droids posted:

I finally found Polars at the goddamn Walmart here. Like $1.50 a tin.

yeah it owns, great fishies for the price

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I had pickled herring in the Netherlands when I lived there for a bit. With a dab of mayo and some raw onions on crackers. Would eat again.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

If anyone can ever get pickled herring that comes in a jar, try it. You'll probably love it. I developed a taste when I was a kid, and my family would get bagels and nova salmon and cream cheese on Sunday mornings, and also a jar of pickled herring, either in wine sauce (vinegary and sweet, with lots of thin-sliced onions floating in there) or sour cream sauce (also with onions). It's absolutely delicious, and tastes like such a luxury compared to 'dines and canned herring.

My Costco used to sell big jars of Blue Hill Bay brand pickled herring in wine sauce, which is sometimes also labeled Acme -- a major smoked and cured fish producer based in Brooklyn. They sell it at Whole Foods too, with different varieties: wine sauce, sour cream sauce, mustard sauce, dill sauce, and I think there's a spicy one. Of course it's much more expensive there, for much smaller jars. Publix supermarket carries Vita brand, both wine sauce and sour cream sauce, in the refrigerated case near the seafood, where they have the sushi. The other place I've seen it is IKEA, in the grocery section -- their own house brand, but probably the Blue Hill Bay varieties, relabeled.

Seriously, if you can find it, the people in this thread should all appreciate it. Have it with toasted bagels, Ritz crackers, or those terrible Scandinavian crispbreads that I wish I could like, but I just find them hard and flavorless and disgusting.

EDIT: Awwww yeah:
http://www.acmesmokedfish.com/produ...ems_per_page=12

Holy gently caress, I love pickled herring but I developed a nasty allergy to onions (they give me migranes) but it looks like the ginger stuff in your link has no onion. Sincere thanks for that link, I'll have to hunt that poo poo down.

Szechuan
Mar 3, 2008

pahuyuth posted:

I like Harvest Farms' Organic "Volcanic Salsa" which has habanero, and Mrs. Renfro's Ghost Pepper salsa. There's a salsa thread but it doesn't get much traffic and there isn't much dad talk. :(

Also mango salsa/chutney is delicious on grilled swordfish.

They don't sell the Ghost Pepper variety around here but I can vouch for Mrs Renfro's being great salsa.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
Idunno if these guys have been brought up before, but here we go:

Never seen such pristine scales in a can.

I immediately hit it with the Tabasco so I can't vouch for their spiciness. I would assume the mild sort of spice that people are used to.

The smokiness was very nice. Not overpowering, but it was able to power through through the heat and the toasted rye.

Texture: not so great. Kinda soft. Doesn't really matter if you put it on toast/cracker.

Great bargain at ~$1/tin. These are going to be sitting next to my Harissa dines for the day-to-day operations.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I like how the can looks like some 1960s half-assed clipart kinda thing

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Where can I order a case?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Sheep-Goats posted:

I like how the can looks like some 1960s half-assed clipart kinda thing

in spicy oil

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Speleothing posted:

Where can I order a case?

I looked for them online and couldn't find them in quantity or for a reasonable price. Eventually I spotted at a Mediterranean grocery IRL - a place with halal meats and Turkish coffee and stuff.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Thought the dads would appreciate this.

quote:

Top Customer Reviews
5.0 out of 5 starsEats Lint
By A. Silberman on March 2, 2011
Verified Purchase
So, this is what life comes down to when you are 50 years old: reviewing dryer vent cleaners while sitting at your kitchen table waiting for American Idol. This is not what I envisioned when I was 12, I can tell you that much. You kids who think it won't happen to you?

It will. Sorry to burst your bubble.

That said, the product works great. Our dryer pretty much stopped working and we were thinking we needed a new one, which was seriously going to eat into my plastic surgery budget. One last shot before a trip to the appliance store was this Gardus LintEater. My husband, who is not the handy one of the family, had to do the work as I have a torn labrum. (Which sounds dirtier than it is - that's part of your shoulder.) He, the clumsiest man in the world, had absolutely no problem using this. I warned him to read the directions first, and he actually listened and followed. He hooked it up to the drill, and away he went. He got a bunch of musty, wet lint that had probably been up inside the wall since 1977 - probably consisting of bell bottom material and macramé.

Now our dryer actually dries clothes again, and I can continue to save for my facelift. Thank you Gardus.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014CN8Y8

dreadspork
Jun 25, 2005

Perseverance does not equal worthiness. Next time you want to get my attention, wear something fun. Low-riding jeans are hot.
Guys, I'm cross-posting my dinner from the "What did GBS have for Dinner?" thread because we had Shakshuka last night. But this morning, we had leftovers, so I poached another coupla eggs in the leftovers (nice, runny yolk) and ate mine with TJ's harissa 'dines.

Dudes, this is perfect. Frankly, the harissa sardines have a bit more of a tuna-like flavor than the KO ones (in my opinion), so it might have been better with KO but it was still incredibly delicious.

I didn't get a pic of this morning's breakfast but just replace the bread with saltines and imagine a delicious pile of fishies on top:

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Dudes, recommend a harissa brand for me.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Look Sir Droids posted:

Dudes, recommend a harissa brand for me.

Mina red harissa isn't super fiery if that's your jam but it's flavorful.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Lately when I make fisherman's eggs I take the bones out because I find the texture distracting. I feel like I've failed every time I do it, though.

I just wanted to get that off my chest.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

NmareBfly posted:

Lately when I make fisherman's eggs I take the bones out because I find the texture distracting. I feel like I've failed every time I do it, though.

I just wanted to get that off my chest.

Eat the bones.

Flagellum
Dec 23, 2011

spurdo av master race so what
Last week I was shopping at a local store for milk and suddenly this thread came to my mind. I bought a can of sardines (bumblebee skinless-remember I'm very new to this) because I was curious to know why people like them and wanted to try it out. Today I decided it was the time and consumed the whole can with some pasta. I think sardines will be a part of my regular diet. This is a great thread.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I went to a deli by my office for lunch today for a reuben, but they also have a sides buffet with coleslaw and potato salad.

This buffet also includes pickled herring in wine sauce, which I feel is very seasonal in the northern hemisphere. Needless to say, herring was consumed and now I feel like a nap in the office.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Flagellum posted:

Last week I was shopping at a local store for milk and suddenly this thread came to my mind. I bought a can of sardines (bumblebee skinless-remember I'm very new to this) because I was curious to know why people like them and wanted to try it out. Today I decided it was the time and consumed the whole can with some pasta. I think sardines will be a part of my regular diet. This is a great thread.

Countdown until this guy buys a gross of assorted canned fishes on amazon.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Are there any dinedads with wisdom on a reliable source for King Oscar Spanish Style dines in North Carolina? I have been told that the mythical chain known as "Ingles" carries such wealth, but the last time I drove south through NC I was unable to find any at the two locations I stopped at.

I'm willing to stray away from the interstate for a few good cans of fish.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

My Man Shran posted:

Are there any dinedads with wisdom on a reliable source for King Oscar Spanish Style dines in North Carolina? I have been told that the mythical chain known as "Ingles" carries such wealth, but the last time I drove south through NC I was unable to find any at the two locations I stopped at.

I'm willing to stray away from the interstate for a few good cans of fish.

I'm headed to western nc for thanksgiving, I'll try to remember to check the local Ingles just to see.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sheep-Goats posted:

:agreed:

Lathespin.gif posted:

just off amazon, was a decent but not great price per tin, but it was payday and I felt like splurging a bit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KOUKK6

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E0N005I

anyone tried these yet?

THANK YOU

Szechuan posted:

They don't sell the Ghost Pepper variety around here but I can vouch for Mrs Renfro's being great salsa.

only problem is the thickening agent so they are cheating :(

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Saw this professional dad and thought of this thread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huW2nD-IAPs

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Would eat. He's pretty good with a filet knife to get that much meat off a blue gill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Look Sir Droids posted:

Would eat. He's pretty good with a filet knife to get that much meat off a blue gill.

I feel like I've known many dads capable of getting that much meat off of a bluegill, they just take fifteen loving minutes a fillet to do it.

I like to catch bluegills because they fight really absurdly hard but that also makes me not want to catch them so they can be free to be the disc shaped near-the-docks assholes they were meant to be. I'm pretty sure the first fish I ever caught was a bluegill.