Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Bohemian Nights posted:

Then I really recommend you check out the Mars if you like playing with the pistols, I'm pretty sure you'll love it! 11 bullets in the mag and ridiculous damage- 38 per shot compared to the frommer's 23.

Although looking at the stats, the frommer does seem like a solid pistol too

I'd argue that the Frommer Stop is the best pistol in the game. Super high RoF which means you can dump the entire mag in a guy in less than a second. Partial reload is super quick (full reload a bit longer due to the slow slide rack). It's very accurate, even while dumping and recoil is very manageable.

I wish I could equip it on all classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The c93 is close to the frommer, as far as I can tell. Not as controllable, but the damage and accuracy are higher, as is the RoF.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Generation Internet posted:

Also, I found out from that site that having 7 K-Bullet kills apparently puts me in the top 10% :v:
Using repair tool on a tank for less than 3 rounds has put me in the top 7%.... for less than 70 repairs. Idk how accurate that is though but I guess no one ever uses tool

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Can anyone recommend a WWI book that has a good overview of the war, start to finish?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Gonkish posted:

The c93 is close to the frommer, as far as I can tell. Not as controllable, but the damage and accuracy are higher, as is the RoF.

I have the C93 and tried it for a bit but went back to 1911. I found it way too unwielding and inaccurate

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Dezztroy posted:

I'd argue that the Frommer Stop is the best pistol in the game. Super high RoF which means you can dump the entire mag in a guy in less than a second. Partial reload is super quick (full reload a bit longer due to the slow slide rack). It's very accurate, even while dumping and recoil is very manageable.

I wish I could equip it on all classes.

The other classes all have a pistol with the same ROF, except theirs are better because they get one more bullet in the mag.

The Stop is clearly the best scout pistol because all of them will one shot someone you've body shot up close, and high ROF gives you the best chance of success.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.

spiralbrain posted:

Can anyone recommend a WWI book that has a good overview of the war, start to finish?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B014OCURBG/ref=oh_aui_d_detailpage_o00_?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Someone linked his blog earlier in the thread, so far he only has 1914 and 1915 in ebook form but they give a good overview of what's going on in different theatres simultaneously as well as including loads of diary excerpts to make it all feel much more personal.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
That is Trin Tragula's blog right? dude is sadly on break at the moment but the first two years of the war up to the fall of 1916 are well covered.

Have a newly released Infographic.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
So we got a French DLC, and a Russian DLC. Anyone else hoping for Canada after that?

Could add some muddrowning animations!

BigglesSWE fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 8, 2016

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

BigglesSWE posted:

So we got a French DLC, and a Russian DLC. Anyone else hoping for Canada after that?

If they do Canada they might as well make a small part of a Commonwealth themed thing and throw in a new Gallopoli map as well.

I really want them to do some old school 1942 sea style maps.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Well, it's a better infographic than the BF3 beta one which had "Longest snipe on beta Metro: literally the length of the level and is an impossible distance to reach without literally hacking"

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

They should add a "forgotten fronts" DLC, with nations such as Japan, Serbia and Portugal.

They sure as hell won't. But hey. One can dream.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

What is everybody using for melee weapons? I've been sticking with the hatchet since it can destroy barbed wire and wooden structures. Some of the heavier ones can also damage light vehicles, but who the hell goes up to an armored car trying to chop it to death?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I don't understand how you all aren't raging about the revive/throwable bug

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

404notfound posted:

What is everybody using for melee weapons? I've been sticking with the hatchet since it can destroy barbed wire and wooden structures. Some of the heavier ones can also damage light vehicles, but who the hell goes up to an armored car trying to chop it to death?

I sure as hell will, now that I know that I can.

Spiked club for me. It really says "gently caress you in particular" to me for some reason. Much more than any of the other ones.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

404notfound posted:

I'm using the US Trench Knife myself. Just gotta stab! Stab! Stab!

Wish I could just use the bayonet in my hand though, like my soldier had two of them.

Google Butt posted:

I don't understand how you all aren't raging about the revive/throwable bug

It's annoying but it never happens to me more than once a game, and is generally over with fairly quickly (because I died). Definitely something that needs to be fixed sooner rather than later, but not the end of the world.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

404notfound posted:

Shovel for assault, one of the brass knuckles/knife combos for scout, club for medic because it is least horrifying way to kill a dude and I think Bolo Knife for support.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

The knuckle-duster trench knife has a great kill animation, and it sold me ever since I got a kill with it next to a second floor window where the animation had me stab the guy in the neck and then punch him in the face so hard that he fell out of the window. I don't even think it's a special animation or anything, I just got super lucky that his ragdoll tipped backwards and flipped over the windowsill, but it made me laugh really hard.

Braining snipers with the spiked club is great, too. The melee animations in general are all pretty brutal.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

The BAR is loving too accurate, I'm tired of getting counter snipe by some fucklord running at 200 mph.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I just love your soldier pulling his bayonet out of someone's spine, or lung from the front.

Don't care if apparently makes you pull out your weapon/reload oh so slightly slower, totally worth it for screaming at the top of my terrified, fear-cracking voice as I run past two guys to stab a third.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

spiralbrain posted:

If your up for youtube videos check out The great war channel they do a "what happened 100 years ago this week" as well as answering fan questions.
I really liked the episode on the ships Mimi, Toutou and Fifi https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5cp-QFzfxU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

404notfound posted:

Pickaxe. It has no real good kill animations but I was able to unlock it with my medic progress.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Sylink posted:

The BAR is loving too accurate, I'm tired of getting counter snipe by some fucklord running at 200 mph.
lol @ snipers complaining

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Same happens as every class lol , I'll spawn, some guy behind a mountain with a bar on a pennyfarthering going backwards shoots me.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

BigglesSWE posted:

Could add some muddrowning animations!

Don't even tease me like that, that would push too many history nerd buttons, especially if it were the 100 Days Offensive since I've done entire research papers on a great-great-great Uncle of mine who was conscripted and ended up wounded after less than a week on the front-line in August 1918

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

I like the look of Monte Grappa, but gently caress that bunker.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Sylink posted:

Same happens as every class lol , I'll spawn, some guy behind a mountain with a bar on a pennyfarthering going backwards shoots me.

this, but oddly its an assault bro with a model 18 trench

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

its weird that i think the club back attack animation is the most brutal even though its super simple. its just you braining the dudes head once and is super quick, but it just feels fuckin raw.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Barbed wire bat is what I usually use; the club animations are all brutal as hell.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

ah, they called that the 'stinger'. They don't let'cha use that no more.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Sintax posted:

lol @ snipers complaining

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

BigglesSWE posted:

They should add a "forgotten fronts" DLC, with nations such as Japan, Serbia and Portugal.

They sure as hell won't. But hey. One can dream.

Lol the Japanese one would just be them sending boats to Germany's colonies and saying "We own you now".

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwzF2AO2v-c

Gonna add this to my list of goals.

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 8, 2016

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

spiralbrain posted:

It was mentioned in a previous thread and once here, but A World Undone is a fascinating and breathless account of the condition of the world as events led to WWI, but it explains out a ton of the behind the scenes pressures and personalities that got the war moving in the first place (for example, the French ambassador to Russia wanted a war with Germany and would omit information and communications in order to push Russia to mobilizing). I think close to a third of the book is talking about politics and army preparation and cultural issues, which is an interesting perspective considering the normal narrative of how WWI began.

The book does complexity really well, but so far it has issues with scale. Offensives that took place over months and miles of front are generally described in paragraphs or pages which is both understandable as the Battle of the Marne could be the subject of a decent sized book on its own, but stuff that happened over weeks or months is generally overly compressed when it comes to the fighting of the war.

The thing I've come away thinking about is just the general incompetence and unpreparedness of the commanders. Blame it on how different this war was from previous European wars, in some cases it is a good excuse, but for the first year or so of the war it really feels like every decision was the wrong one on all sides and that sheer luck was more decisive than any strategy.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Dude should've named it "On His Kaiser's Secret Service."

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
It'd be cool if they added an actual Gallipoli map, but It'd be hard to do without it being an absolute shitshow for the attackers.

e] Also totally onboard for player uniform customisation, need my bitchin war-shorts.

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Nov 8, 2016

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

guns for tits posted:

Dude should've named it "On His Kaiser's Secret Service."

Or just "A View to a Kill"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh1deJ-Yn8E&t=386s

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Sylink posted:

Have you tried the BAR at all? It's not that accurate. First shot is admittingly fairly accurate if you slowly single tap (but not perfect), but really any shots at range do pretty low damage and you'll have to sit there tapping away and hope they dont move after you hit them with the first couple shots, which rarely happens. It's really loving hard to 100-0 anyone at range with LMGs unless they just stand there out in the open and also don't have a sniper rifle to pop you off instantly once they notice you shooting at them.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Am I missing something or can you literally not leave a game between rounds until after you load into the next map?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Am I missing something or can you literally not leave a game between rounds until after you load into the next map?

you can generally leave right at the beginning and right at the end of the between round phase, but not in the middle

it is very dumb and bad and also very :dice:

grenade bug also annoying me, but I have confidence that one will eventually get fixed