Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Mission 3: I'm loving the Shalebridge vibes from Addlemire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I gotta say, this is a real good and proper sequel. Much better than 1, save for the poor optimization on PC.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

SunAndSpring posted:

I gotta say, this is a real good and proper sequel. Much better than 1, save for the poor optimization on PC.
I don't know why the Steam rating for this game is so low right now. Aside from the ever-stupid plot, it improves on the first one in every way.

3Romeo posted:

Mission 3: I'm loving the Shalebridge vibes from Addlemire.
With the difference that Addlemire is actually more dangerous. Shalebridge had a handful of zombies who are easily killed. It's also awesome that Corvo has the same voice actor as Garrett.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

SunAndSpring posted:

It's definitely not better than the first one.

It looks way better, but every single mechanic is more finicky and less reliable, and the AI is downright inconsistent and frustrating.

Those robot guards are pretty cheap, also, and turn any map they're in into a tedious slog if you don't want to go balls-out loud.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I'm disappointed that there is no way to insta-kill the robots like you could with the stilt-men in Dishonored 1.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

BinaryDoubts posted:

I crafted a 4x strong arms charm and it seems to have made knockouts slower, not faster. Anyone else experiencing this?

Yeah, I'm having this problem too. Must be a bug.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Did the 2nd mission ghost and nonlethally just so I could get the achievements, now I'm going through the rest of the game without quick loading when being spotted. (Except for things like saving the janitor in M3) It's a lot more fun now that I can just toss guards around and nonlethally choke them all if I get spotted.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

SunAndSpring posted:

It runs quite bad on PC surprisingly. Glad it's not just me, I have a brand new GPU and it drops frames on medium.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

that's better than the time I choked a roof guard out and then he fell through a skylight landing right in front of another guard.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The one thing I dislike about this is that it is far too judgmental. I'm getting "High Chaos" even though I've only killed 7 people were level, and I made sure that those people were knobheads. Previous game, I got the medium chaos ending, I hope this game has more breadth of possible endings than "You did good, okay and bad."

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Really? I've only played a bit but I killed that many guys in the first area and have gotten low chaos so far.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I hope this game has more breadth of possible endings than "You did good, okay and bad."

How many endings do you think it should have? Three seems like an above average offering.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Kurzon posted:

It's not so much the morality of it, but that they are not realistic. How can I trust that Slackjaw will keep his end of the bargain and abduct these two guys for me? All I did for me was give him a safe combination. How can I assure that they won't escape their exile and come back to cause trouble? How would branding the High Overseer with a mark of shame end his career when it was applied in an extralegal fashion? It's downright weird. Simply killing the targets is a safer guarantee against them causing trouble.

Sure the Pendleton Twins' non-lethal option was the most obviously-tacked-on (they all were added relatively late in development) but the High Overseer's was a thing of beauty.

Are you really saying you can't fathom why people might not question the opportunity to get rid of an obnoxious rear end who blackmailed his way to the top?

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

GotLag posted:

Sure the Pendleton Twins' non-lethal option was the most obviously-tacked-on (they all were added relatively late in development) but the High Overseer's was a thing of beauty.

Are you really saying you can't fathom why people might not question the opportunity to get rid of an obnoxious rear end who blackmailed his way to the top?
Gee, I wonder why nobody has thought of doing this to corrupt officials in the real world. I mean... could I kick Robert Mugabe out of office by secretly drawing a penis on his face?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Kurzon posted:

It's not so much the morality of it, but that they are not realistic. How can I trust that Slackjaw will keep his end of the bargain and abduct these two guys for me? All I did for me was give him a safe combination. How can I assure that they won't escape their exile and come back to cause trouble? How would branding the High Overseer with a mark of shame end his career when it was applied in an extralegal fashion? It's downright weird. Simply killing the targets is a safer guarantee against them causing trouble.

To some degree you have to just accept that it's a video game and take it at face value man :v:

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
I rented this from Redbox and I'm trying to beat the campaign pretty quickly. Does anyone know the average time to beat the single player? Also are Corvo's and Emily's stories all that different?

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
The story is the same save for appropriately modified dialogue.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

How many endings do you think it should have? Three seems like an above average offering.

It should be based upon who your many choices, not based upon a perceived level of quality play. There's a difference between chaotic murder and justified killing, there's a difference between bodies being found and being hidden. The number of endings is immaterial, the nature of those endings on the other hand are not. A game about nuanced systemic reactions should have a nuanced ending

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Kurzon posted:

are there any differences with rejecting the mark?

Armagnac
Jun 24, 2005
Le feu de la vie.
drat it! Why do no bethesda games have a swap stick function!

Oh well. High Chaos Emily here we go!

Woof, on Xbox One, the load times are rough, and I'm a dying a whole bunch, mainly because of the lack of swap sticks.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm really not liking how piss weak the setup for this game is. I would have liked to have seen them attempt to make the coup a little more believable.

Awesome game in every other regard tho so far.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

I'm really not liking how piss weak the setup for this game is. I would have liked to have seen them attempt to make the coup a little more believable.

That's an issue along with (Intro only spoilers) Suddenly, Delilah even if you killed her, Corvo being Emily's dad being thrown at you repeatedly whereas it was previously somewhat subtle and the Heart being the Empress being outright stated instead of again being slightly subtle.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah pretty much all of that didn't sit right with me either.

I was pretty much like "cmon seriously?!" During the whole intro.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

That's an issue along with (Intro only spoilers) Suddenly, Delilah even if you killed her, Corvo being Emily's dad being thrown at you repeatedly whereas it was previously somewhat subtle and the Heart being the Empress being outright stated instead of again being slightly subtle.

On top of that they even mentioned Daud is still alive, although I guess that was a choice. In general it felt like they throw out the entire Dishonored 1 DLC

Also the heart thing actually surprised me, never put those together in part 1.

Kurzon posted:

This is actually good to know because I'm being a huge rear end in a top hat with Emily and maybe I'll go through and do a low chaos run with Corvo.

All in all the game isn't grabbing me as much as the first one is yet, but I do like the shift in having towns where not everything wants to kill you always. Also hoping the patch helps with the performance.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

sauer kraut posted:

Dumping some stuff from the German spergsite, google translate if you like: https://www.computerbase.de/2016-11/dishonored-2-benchmark/

Use the Very High preset if you have a good card, Ultra just tanks frames for nothing. Weaker cards should use Medium. If that doesn't do it, buy a new card.

Always use TXAA x1, it's a pure shader and almost free. Graciously unlocked to work on AMD cards.
HBAO+ does not work on AMD (although it should) and there is no other form of AO to fall back, almost free on Maxwell/Pascal.
Frametimes for AMD are bad but playable, no idea how the 480 beats the Fury but there it is.

Thanks, this is super helpful

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

On top of that they even mentioned Daud is still alive, although I guess that was a choice. In general it felt like they throw out the entire Dishonored 1 DLC

Are you high daud's dlc has a non lethal way to deal with Delilah and being low chaos determines whether or not daud survives his run in with Corvo

low chaos is simply the canon across the board

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Am I supposed to be using the numbered locations for the sunken supplies map or the red x? The red x seems to be out of bounds though? And I'm not seeing anything by the docks here.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I feel like I don't get something. It's not like this game has ever advertised that you'll get a million million endings, Fallout New Vegas style. Nor did the previous game have a ton of endings, which was then lost in this game. You're complaining about something that was never advertised or suggested. Like. I'd like it if this game would suck my whole dick. But it doesn't, so..

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
hm if a guard follows you in and interrupts the conversation you don`t get the achievement items or alternate route for bringing mindy the dead body, that sucks

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

veni veni veni posted:

Awesome game in every other regard tho so far.

hey man he sent a note to the guards telling them to let in the 10 foot tall death robots no questions asked, its airtight

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Well tried to teleport through a grated door and fell through the planet.

Video games.

mania
Sep 9, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Am I supposed to be using the numbered locations for the sunken supplies map or the red x? The red x seems to be out of bounds though? And I'm not seeing anything by the docks here.

Red X. It's around the buoy, look underwater for a crate that's been tipped over on it's side.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

mania posted:

Red X. It's around the buoy, look underwater for a crate that's been tipped over on it's side.

Thanks!

Man. Mindy Blanchard sounds inexplicably like Granny Rags.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

How do you re wire robots? I can pounce on them from above, no problem, but everything else...

Also I love their dialogue. "If the head is destroyed, the machine will be unable to tell friend from foe. Whatever, it'll just kill them all."

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant
Performance in this game seems a bit off.

Effects like glass seem to cause large performance hit.

http://imgur.com/a/3iF73

Specs - i7 with 16gb ram and a 1080gtx, settings at ultra 1440p.

Game looks great, but hopefully a patch can sort this kind of thing out.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The performance hit is probably a side effect of all the work that went into making Mission/Chapter 7 as amazing as it is. There's a bunch of effects there that I don't think UE3 could pull off which is why they had to switch engines.

Speedball posted:

How do you re wire robots? I can pounce on them from above, no problem, but everything else...

Also I love their dialogue. "If the head is destroyed, the machine will be unable to tell friend from foe. Whatever, it'll just kill them all."

The rewire point is located on the right leg near the hip.

sexy mouse
Sep 18, 2008

sexy eye~
sexy nose~
sexy mouse~
don't you know~
I think I'm just going to refund on Steam and buy it for my PS4. It works perfectly fine on that, right?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Mung Dynasty posted:

It's not even that. There are wild fluctuations in framerates across a large selection of hardware. I wouldn't mind locking it to 30 if I didn't randomly get 15 just standing still.

This is the thing. I'm at the start of karnaca. When outdoors, I get 60 FPS if I'm looking in a few directions, maybe 180 degrees total. That rapidly drops and starts skipping all over the place to what I would guess is something like 15 FPS if I ever look in the wrong direction, and the wrong direction is almost everywhere. Not only is 60->15 a massive jump which is slightly jarring, but the mouse sensitivity fucks out anytime the frame rate changes (seems to increase whenever it goes down), so your camera is skipping and jumping all over the place. If this was a twitch shooter it absolutely would be unplayable.

I don't think this makes dishonored 2 unplayable since the game is not a twitch shooter, but it is really unnecessarily unpleasant and makes it hard to enjoy a very good game. I hope this is just because of the CPU priority, which is presumably something they'll patch, because the last time I remember ever having to gently caress with the CPU priority of a program was I think elder scrolls 4. And it refuses to keep the CPU priority on high for me anymore--If I set it to high, tab back to the game, and check the task manager again, it will be back to low. If the rest of the game is going to perform like the start of karnaca here, I might need to wait for the patch myself.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The other main issue I've been having is dialogue completely cuts out when I enter another room, instead of just dropping in volume a little.

Edit: And now I've fallen through the ground.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Casimir Radon posted:

The other main issue I've been having is dialogue completely cuts out when I enter another room, instead of just dropping in volume a little.

This one I've noticed, especially with the songs street musicians sing.

Also Silver and Dust is a pretty good song they made. Might take a while to show up on youtube though.

• Locked thread