Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

It's beat to poo poo and bent all to hell, but it runs, it doesn't tick, it doesn't stall (after being warmed up for like a minute), the doors all close, the brakes work, and it drives straight. It may be a shitbox, but it's my shitbox and I'm proud of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Congratulations. It is your car and you built it and you love it.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I see its been painted red to go fasta

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Shoehead posted:

I see its been painted red to go fasta

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturæ et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan

CharlesM posted:

I stole the muscle car by towing it away with my septic truck but the steering gets insanely sensitive. I tried to adjust those little sliders in the controls but I think it only went the wrong way and I can't fricking figure how to click them the right way!!
The sliders for steering are stupid, because increasing the value in them makes steering more sensitive, and the default Non-linearity/High-speed setting of 10 is already too fast. I have my "Steering Non-linearity" at 10 and "High Speed Steering Rate" at 5, which keeps steering fast for low speeds but slows it down for actual driving.

CharlesM posted:

I was driving on the highway though and for just pushing my joystick a little the wheel turns a lot.
Well the default setting for steering wheel turning is something like 700 degrees of rotation. I dropped it to 180 degrees, which looks much better imo. Oh and that setting doesn't have any effect on actual steering, it's just there so you can match your racing wheel to in-game-wheel.
And if you're talking about how just by touching the stick on a gamepad etc. launches the car in some direction: the analog steering in this game is super sensitive. It was designed for Logitech G25/27 wheels in mind, which turn like six times from end to end (i.e. you can make precise small corrections). If you can, play around with the response curves/linearity settings on your joystick.

JointHorse fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Nov 11, 2016

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

JointHorse posted:

If you can, play around with the response curves/linearity settings on your joystick.

It's just an xbox controller

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I very easily could have mixed up the order of events. But I swear when I was taking the American car on a top speed test I lost the back end and was dead before I hit anything. Like I think it laterally spun fast enough to make the game think I broke my neck.

With a steering wheel setup it handles like... well not like a dream but it can keep pace with the van on dirt roads. Seriously without a steering wheel and pedals I would have probably played this game half as much.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
ok the brakes are loving killing me here.

got the brake cylinder in, got the brake lines in. 2 nuts from the lines to the cylinder, 2 nuts to hold the cylinder to the wall. all the nuts at the passenger side seem to be tight. one nut at each wheel done, and the one connecting the brake pedal done. full reservoirs (that keep loving leaking).

where the gently caress am i missing something.

this game needs puddles so you can at least get some idea of where the loving leaks are.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

I missed one, I think it was below the cylinders. There should be 8 on the brake lines and 1 on each wheel, according to the wiki.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Praseodymi posted:

I missed one, I think it was below the cylinders. There should be 8 on the brake lines and 1 on each wheel, according to the wiki.

thanks. i went back and undid and redid every one of them (counted off, i had them all), refilled, and it's apparently fixed now. maybe i tightened one out of order earlier.

now i gotta tune the loving carb.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Oh poo poo does that mean I shouldn't have filled all the reservoirs with all the fluid I could and it's all gonna leak out?

I got the car to run but if I keep the throttle high for some time there's some fluid that starts to shoot out of the engine. And I tried putting it into gear but it doesn't move at all :(

I really like how now that I've traveled to town a few times, the drive seems way less long. I'm starting to know the sequence of landmarks and before I know it I'm there, whereas before it seemed really daunting and I'd get impatient and drive head first in a tree.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Colonel J posted:

I got the car to run but if I keep the throttle high for some time there's some fluid that starts to shoot out of the engine. And I tried putting it into gear but it doesn't move at all :(

That's probably steam, it means you're running too hot for the radiator.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That also happens if you don't hook up the exhaust.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

That also happens if you don't hook up the exhaust.

Ah there we go, that's what's wrong. Thanks!

texasmed
May 27, 2004
Permadeath in this game is cool, but there was one bullshit way I died at my house when the phone rang and it electrocuted me to death after picking it up. There was an achievement for it so I guess it's not supposed to be very common (2.4% of Steam users).

Also it took me a couple of builds to figure out that the Push command is the reason my cars ended up looking like wrecked pieces of poo poo. Getting the forklift and jacking up the side of the car to pick it up is way better than trying to push it into the garage.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I saw the developer reply to a thread on the Steam forums that the car getting crumpled up by being pushed is really annoying. Hopefully he changes that. It sounds like the game doesn't distinguish between that push and being pushed by another car, etc., though.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
If that's the case why doesn't it work half the time? :colbert:

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Make sure you push at the tires. This always seems to work for me, even on the sewer truck.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
You can actually push cars forward? I've never been able to, only sideways, and even then it's never reliable; it's always either the slightest nudge or I'll hulk smash the van and send it careening away.

Zteuer
Nov 8, 2009
I may just have been lucky, but for me it seemed to work well when I pushed the Satsuma, with open trunk so that the hands appeared to be holding on to the top edge (where the lid would chop your fingers off if you closed it).

hillo
Dec 19, 2012

by zen death robot

texasmed posted:

Permadeath in this game is cool, but there was one bullshit way I died at my house when the phone rang and it electrocuted me to death after picking it up. There was an achievement for it so I guess it's not supposed to be very common (2.4% of Steam users).

Also it took me a couple of builds to figure out that the Push command is the reason my cars ended up looking like wrecked pieces of poo poo. Getting the forklift and jacking up the side of the car to pick it up is way better than trying to push it into the garage.

One time I woke up to the phone ringing in the middle of the night, I assumed it was the rear end in a top hat next door not getting a ride home and phoning me, I was oblivious to the storm outside just having woken up. Answered the phone and saw a huge flash and loud noise played. My pulse was about 200 for next minutes because I knew I could have died back then.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Hmm my best rally times are around 6:20. What the heck am I doing wrong.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

Asproigerosis posted:

That's without crashing? the biggest factor is obviously to keep it on the road. I'm not sure there is any way to win without having to go pretty drat fast, especially on the final stretch after Loppe. I did 5.30 on the rally, but i was probably doing 150+ top speed at the final stretch. I used a wheel though. Keeping the car under control without one at those speeds is gonna be a challenge. You have all the performance upgrades as well? I used the stock gear ratio, but a shorter ratio would probably help a bit as well.

[Edit] Forgot that stripping the car seems to help a bit as well. I would keep the headlights though.

Humbug fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Nov 12, 2016

hatesfreedom
Feb 20, 2007

I make a profit of three and a quarter cents an egg by selling them for four and a quarter cents an egg to the people in Malta I buy them from for seven cents an egg. Of course, I don't make the profit. The syndicate makes the profit. And everybody has a share.
Drove around doing sewage jobs, drinking beers; poo poo covered hands and slimy hoses. Ah but for civilization I thought! To the town! For slot lotto and fries. Spent untold amount of time filling up diesel into truck. Driving home on highway, something feels odd, something not right. Get out to check, fall through map, respawn back home. Son of a pussy!

Drive van along highway back to sewage truck, find sewage truck has caused massive traffic jam. Attach tow rope from truck to van. Is dark now. Is storming. Driving home with wildly swinging van behind me, the van lights are on so it causes much glare on the inside of the windshield. I can hardly see! There is nothing to be done about it, when I went to try and turn the lights off it was too dark -- and the van was upside down. No way to find the light switch in this situation. Drink beers, get back in truck. Prayers.

Somehow make it back home, get out with sigh of relief to see van is now upright and in good shape. Now I have the money for mechanic for my summer car.

the DLC should just be about having to assemble a dump truck from parts, but it also comes with a vehicle lift.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Restarted again. It think I found my source of the brakes problem I had last go around.

I don't think I actually attached either the clutch or brake pedals to their master cylinders... :v:

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Asproigerosis posted:

A wheel would probably make it easier, or fine-tune your controller/keyboard settings. It's pretty difficult, I've only hit 6 minutes flat so far.

Having a higher numbered gear ratio makes the car accelerate faster, but I can't tell if there is a large difference in gear ratios for the rally.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Asproigerosis posted:

It's just impossible to drive on the dirt roads at any reasonable speed.

My headlights on the datsun no longer work, and despite doing a full list repair at the mechanic, they still don't work. What?

Ei tässä kyllä järki sua auta, tää on autojen korjaamista ja se on poika tairetta se.

(This made me giggle. Yeah, that's realistic as gently caress.)

Zteuer
Nov 8, 2009
After 3 or 4 crashes I finally finnished the rally in 5th place at 6 min 05 sec. Felt like I drove poorly with many mistakes and slow speed, so I was surprised to be only 12 seconds from victory. I had stock gear ratio and 15.1 AF-ratio. I think going with a lower AF-ratio than that would be better since it will go up during the race due to heat, and also a shorter gear ratio would be good. Mostly I need a proper steering wheel since I imagine that would be easier than the controller.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I basically never want to play this game, I've had enough of this poo poo for several lifetimes.

But I'm laughing at just how accurate it is.

Also you people suggesting music, for shame. You're missing the essence of Finnish radio.

The one song you absolutely need:

"Leevi and the Leavings - Teuvo, Maanteiden Kuningas"

Good songs you should have:

"Leevi and the Leavings - Itkisitkö Onnesta"
"Leevi and the Leavings - Vasara ja Nauloja"
"Eppu Normaali - Osa Luonnollista Karsintaa"
"Eppu Normaali - Kitara, Taivas ja Tähdet"
"Eppu Normaali - Linnunradan Laidalla"

Songs I will not vouch for:

"Tuomari Nurmio - Lemmenloruja"
"Mamba - Valokuvia"
"Suurlähettiläät - Kuka Pysäyttäisi Kellot"
"Suurlähettiläät - Kun Tänään Lähden"
"Neljä Ruusua - Poplaulajan Vapaapäivä"

Songs that are absolute agony and thus are absolutely necessary for the authentic experience:

"Aki Sirkesalo - Naispaholainen"
"Kaija Koo - Kuka Keksi Rakkauden"
"Kaija Koo - Tuulikello"
"Aikakone - Alla Vaahterapuun"
"Anna Hanski - Josset Sä Soita"

Also one you can only have if you can buy a furry wide seat for the car:

"Eppu Normaali - Keskiyön Cowboy"

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
What the hell. Everything should be fine but when I put the car in gear it won't move and reverts back to neutral after a few seconds.

edit: My halfshafts weren't screwed in and now weird stuff is happening... It moves but it still likes to revert to neutral.

Colonel J fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Nov 13, 2016

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

I was pissed that I had to redo my inspection because I was missing this stupid thing, but it turns out it's actually very useful.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Colonel J posted:

What the hell. Everything should be fine but when I put the car in gear it won't move and reverts back to neutral after a few seconds.

edit: My halfshafts weren't screwed in and now weird stuff is happening... It moves but it still likes to revert to neutral.

Yeah my car reverts to neutral a lot as well.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I did the shop tuning and they tuned it really lean (16:1 AFR). It starts to backfire when it gets warm though. Hmm.

What is the difference between motor tuning and engine adjustment too?

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

Colonel J posted:

Check that you have fullly connected the gear linkage. There are two nuts that are not visible from the top. Slightly foreward of the first nut that is visible. 3 in total.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
What's the best way to transport letters? Seems the front seat is the way to go.

I calculated that it takes 5 minutes to progress a game hour, making a game day take 2 hours if you don't sleep

Beer case motor mounting is way better than using the motor hoist. Just takes a minute to figure out how to position the two things.

texasmed fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 13, 2016

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

texasmed posted:

What's the best way to transport letters? Seems the front seat is the way to go.
I click and hold them whilst I drive. The letters seem to really like clipping through the vehicles.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The only reliable letter method is the back of the van. honorable mention to the Satsuma which mostly keeps things inside but can glitch due to modified meshes and the tractor because it cant actually drive fast enough to send it through a window.

E. The sewage truck doesn't have a windshield because of reasons so it's in the never class.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

I just put the letters on the passenger seat and have never lost one.

I can understand the fear though.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

texasmed posted:

Beer case motor mounting is way better than using the motor hoist. Just takes a minute to figure out how to position the two things.

I guess you could say the Satsuma has a crate motor.

Also fun fact: not sleeping by Tuesday afternoon gives you a heart attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molrok
May 30, 2011

Be careful with storing the jack in the trunk. I accidentally clicked it while stuffing groceries to the trunk and then my Satsuma joined the Kerbal space program.

Wish I had been able to test how it would steer with just two wheels to the ground but getting to driving mode was impossible.

• Locked thread