Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

KoRMaK posted:

What the gently caress does Bernard see when he is doing the image test?
He sees the images for what they are. He was programmed with knowledge of the real world. As Ford said they programmed to not see anything that might hurt them.

The WW characters think they're living in the Wild West so they'll ignore anything modern. Bernard thinks he's a human in the current day so he'll see things that are appropriate to the current day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mr. Apollo posted:

He hates (pities?) humans.

I think he outlines what he feels about himself in his speech about saving the hosts from consciousness.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
So obviously these robots don't age, which begs the queation.....Bernard has been around a long time and nobody who works there has noticed that he doesn't age?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

TommyGun85 posted:

So obviously these robots don't age, which begs the queation.....Bernard has been around a long time and nobody who works there has noticed that he doesn't age?

They all could be hosts or as the writer said, they could rotate out before any questions are asked.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Half of next episode's characters will be played by Sam Rockwell.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

McPoyles reiteration about his fiance's relationship to the company is interesting. It now has ties to the broader espionage plot.

Junkfist posted:

Half of next episode's characters will be played by Sam Rockwell.
Lol

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
I love how the preferred method of killing by the hosts is slamming heads into walls

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

ayb posted:

I love how the preferred method of killing by the hosts is slamming heads into walls

Simple, effective, makes cleanup easy when you don't have to bend over too far to scrub.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

So that's what Elsie was muttering about before she got grabbed - she most likely discovered that Bernard was the target of the recent manipulating that was going on. (His designs were found with Dolores' so I assume he could be a relatively old robot. Also he could just be Arnold as a robot somehow.) Or at least that he was a host. Still not sure that she's dead because the whole "character isn't dead until shown dead on screen" trope could be in play.

Ford looked oddly robotic himself in the scene with Clementine. Speaking of, that scene and Bernard scene were both intense, but the rest of the episode was just all right. I'm more invested in Maeve's storyline than Dolores' at this point and I feel like it used to be the opposite.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Ford was loving pissed during that scene because as Bernard said he immediately saw that the whole thing was a setup and a poorly executed scam.

Like he was pissed and also surprised as how brazen and stupid these people were for thinking this would work on him, he was probably thinking about how elaborately to gently caress them over.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
BTW McPoyle sleeping with Dolores seems to have brought her back to damsel mode.

Falling off that horse during the chase, McPoyle has to save her.

Why are women always falling down when they get chased?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Clocks posted:

So that's what Elsie was muttering about before she got grabbed - she most likely discovered that Bernard was the target of the recent manipulating that was going on. (His designs were found with Dolores' so I assume he could be a relatively old robot. Also he could just be Arnold as a robot somehow.) Or at least that he was a host. Still not sure that she's dead because the whole "character isn't dead until shown dead on screen" trope could be in play.

Ford looked oddly robotic himself in the scene with Clementine. Speaking of, that scene and Bernard scene were both intense, but the rest of the episode was just all right. I'm more invested in Maeve's storyline than Dolores' at this point and I feel like it used to be the opposite.

Ford wasn't robotic. He felt insulted and you could tell he was planning out how he was going to get revenge on that show sham of a scene. His silence was basically "you all done hosed up."

I do wonder if he knows what's going on with Maeve, or if that's somehow slipped under his radar.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I'm going to miss Clem.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
holy gently caress

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
well i guess that episode 7 thing is true, god drat

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Wait so doesn't the photograph now confirm that Bernard is host-Arnold, not just a host? There would be no need to block Arnold's image from Bernard unless they looked the same.

plus Ford was getting Theresa's replicant printed before she was even dead, he's done this a few times before.

El Jeffe fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Nov 14, 2016

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wait, was Bernard's face on the list of old host icons and he just didn't see it?

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

Wait, was Bernard's face on the list of old host icons and he just didn't see it?

Yeah, except I thought it was a blueprint for Bernard himself. Correct me if I'm wrong.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
So, the host Ford is making in his basement.

Elsie, "Who just went on leave for a few days." or a new Theresa?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

VendaGoat posted:

He wouldn't have had any reason to do anything to Elsie. Elsie was reporting to Bernard, and we know now that Bernard is pretty much Ford's right hand man. Or robot, as it is.

I think it's more likely that Elsie was taken by one of Arnold's agents/hosts.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

VendaGoat posted:

My first instinct was replacing Theresa with a host, but that Elsie line sure was on-point.

I was just wondering who we think grabbed Elsie myself. Ford seems a little too obvious, but I'm not sure who else would make sense or lead to anything interesting unless it's actually a new character like a still-alive Arnold or some poo poo. It's possible she'll turn back up in the next episode without them answering either of our questions, making it ambiguous about whether she's still herself (with some new info courtesy of a corporate saboteur or something), or a host under Ford's control.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

El Jeffe posted:

Yeah, except I thought it was a blueprint for Bernard himself. Correct me if I'm wrong.

No, I meant the list on the computer from last episode that showed Dolores.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Pretty hosed up that Ford built a host designed to grieve for his dead child for eternity. Also sounds like Bernard was getting pretty pissed off at the thought too, and previews indicated he's becoming increasingly hostile to Ford even if he's subservient to him.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Nov 14, 2016

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Arglebargle III posted:

Pretty hosed up that Ford built a host designed to grieve for his dead child for eternity. Also sounds like Bernard was getting pretty pissed off at the thought too, and previews indicated he's becoming increasingly hostile to Ford even if he's subservient to him.

About the spoilers, so... like a grudge?

Doctor
Jul 22, 2005

GO TO YOUR ROOM!
^^^ Remember that shpiel Ford gave about consciousness being a curse? I feel there's some dynamic between him & Arnold where Arnold figured out Ford was trying to become God-King of the park and must've done something bad to Ford before Ford off'd him, and now he programs Bernard in the image of Arnold forever destined to live out and repeat the tragedy and grief of his lost son and disintegrating marriage. If Arnold believed consciousness was a good thing, (pitting him against Ford's philosophy) and we see Ford as God, or perhaps more accurately the devil, then this is hell's ironic punishment division 101.

Edit: Odd that Ford would say Arnold re-created Ford's family as a robo-gifts for him when it's pretty clear the family dynamic was very abusive, especially his father. I feel like that might be a hint to the nature of their relationship...

Doctor fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 14, 2016

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

TommyGun85 posted:

With no understanding of how the world outside of the park works, it is hard to be sure, but I think there are two possibilities:

Medical technology could be so advanced that nobody ages very much, and so nobody would even notice that Bernard is unchanged in such a long time because it is completely normal. Or, Bernard has been modified multiple times, just like every other host in the park, and so he may have been known as many different people at different times.

One also gets the impression that staff has a pretty high turnover, so maybe nobody works there long enough to notice

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Timeline rage lives on for another week!

Ford's replicant hobby is throwing me for a loop.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Quick Draw McGraw posted:

Ford is a robot who killed his creator, Arnold. He is the devil to Arnold's absent god/resurrected jesus
This would tie in nicely if Ford is a Gen1 metalbot, rebuilding the corpse of Arnold into Bernard as an act of both rebellion and imitation. "Upgrading" the bots to being flesh and blood specifically so he has dominion over 'humans' and the guests are killing their own kind over and over.

He's done this for 30 years without trying to grow beyond it because Ford is still following his programing of running the park, himself a failure in consciousness still a slave to his loop. (perusing Arnold's old notebooks being the start of it)

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
My religious read is more that Arnold's God and Ford's the Devil. The Man In Black really got to Ford when he suggested that Arnold was the real brains behind the park, and it's completely possible that Arnold has somehow ascended by putting his mind in a host's body or on a computer somewhere. Ford is nothing if not vainglorious, but Arnold is immortal, and he's playing a game even Ford can't figure out.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Doctor posted:

Edit: Odd that Ford would say Arnold re-created Ford's family as a robo-gifts for him when it's pretty clear the family dynamic was very abusive, especially his father. I feel like that might be a hint to the nature of their relationship...

Ford added the abusive stuff, he said that with time he made them more like he remembers.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Ford and Arnold are one in the same, it's just that Ford is the last beta test version of a failed consciousness transfer that killed Arnold. :colbert:

Basically he's Clu.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
drat, poor clementine. That's some cold poo poo.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

Just rewatched the scene. It's not just absent in the previous episode. In this episode, the shot starts out with the door absent, pans away on Bernard's POV, and when it pans back the door is present :stare:

http://i.imgur.com/4Aegf9H.mp4

:vince:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Also was there anything that said outright that the host Ford is rendering (good use of that term, IMO) in his basement is going to be a copy of Theresa, or is that just like, duh

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So that new Delos lady is real or a host?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sagebrush posted:

Also was there anything that said outright that the host Ford is rendering (good use of that term, IMO) in his basement is going to be a copy of Theresa, or is that just like, duh

I think that's just what everybody hopes because it would be Lecter As gently caress.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything
I really dont see Ford as the devil if we're sold on religious allusions, the conversation between Ford and the MiB and the line 'everything good or bad that's ever happened to you is because of this guy' is a pretty common thing people have said to describe a story's God character.
And of course the character supposedly banished from creation is seeking to give hosts free will ajd awaken them to the truth of their creator and their role in the world.
Basically it's the book of genesis mashed up with Alice in Wonderland where everything isn't what it is and the control freak creator god is battling an old enemy asserting itself in his creation. The one piece we still need to put it all together is how the MiB fits into the Ford-Arnold dispute, because the MiB and Arnold seem to want the same thing.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

VendaGoat posted:

What if Elsie is already (or is) a host?

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

it was the implication

^ Ford

El Jeffe fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Nov 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

DoctorGonzo posted:

So that new Delos lady is real or a host?

yes

• Locked thread