Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
GAY IS GOOD!

DOWN WITH EVERYTHING

Also SUPPORT ABORTION but that one's less outrageous. It was nice of them to invite along a dude who didn't bother putting any words on his hammer-and-sickle sign, though. Very comradely of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Repeat after me. Christianity is stupid. Communism is good. Give up.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

uber_stoat posted:

From 5:00 in the morning till 10:00 at night!

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

GAY IS GOOD!

DOWN WITH EVERYTHING

SUPPORT ABORTION

Sounds like the preamble to the GBS constitution

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

uber_stoat posted:

Have you ever heard of this guy, his name was Jesus?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gee-zus?

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

uber_stoat posted:

Repeat after me.

GAY IS GOOD!

DOWN WITH EVERYTHING

SUPPORT ABORTION

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Hey-zeuz, actually!

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

uber_stoat posted:

Repeat after me. Chick's warped view of Christianity is stupid. Communism is still dead. Give up.

Fixed

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Counterpoint: full communism now

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
Tract #48 - That Crazy Guy! (1980)

Top: 1980 original. Bottom: 1992 revision.

There a whole lot of amazing absurdity and disinformation in this tract. It also received a major revision after being in print for over a decade. The two versions definitely deserve to be seen side-by-side for full impact.

Suzi becomes Suzie in the 1992 revision. It's no longer going to be a crazy disco night.

Ms. Damien's neighborly advice seems more slutty in the 1980 version. She is like Jack Chick's Platonic ideal of the horrible threat of "women's liberation."

Don't worry, pussycat. If it feels good, do it!
Also, Haw Haw.

The "Do it in my Datson (sic)" licence plate cover is changed to "Do it in the Dirt" in the later version.

It is rude to get gonorrhea all over the neighbor's chair.

In the original version, Suzi is diagnosed with herpes. The 1992 version takes it up a notch, and Suzie gets the AIDS.

Quality information from leading sexologists.

Marriage is the only cure for V.D., although stoning adulterers to death is an acceptable preventative measure.

V.D. came right from the Devil.

Demonic activity is the basis of homosexuality.

The state doesn't love you. The school doesn't care about your soul. Hard truths, indeed.

100% of doctors agree - Jesus is the only medicine you'll ever need!

That Crazy Guy! was in print from 1980 to 1991. In 1992 it was reprinted, but with major revisions. Among other changes, Suzie gets AIDS. It's currently out of print again, but still available to be reprinted in numbers of 10,000 or more.

Here is a scan of the 1980 version:

https://www.scribd.com/document/77344711/Chick-Tract-That-Crazy-Guy-1980

Here is the current version.

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0090/0090_01.asp

Gutter Phoenix fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 14, 2016

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

JACK CHICK: The 1992 version takes it up a notch, and Suzie gets the AIDS.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

quote:

"The state doesn't love you, and no one really cares about you"
:iceburn:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
Tract #49 - My Name?...In the Vatican? (1980)

Top: Mail-order version. Bottom: Retail version.

There is no better way to learn about Jack Chick's fascination with Alberto Rivera and various Catholic conspiracies than to simply read this tract, the next tract (Kiss the Protestants Goodbye) and the Alberto comics (see link below). I'll explain a bit about the different versions though.

Both My Name?...In the Vatican? and Kiss the Protestants Good-bye were printed as promo tracts for the Chick Publications Crusaders series of comics detailing the story of Alberto Rivera. The version with white text on the cover was only available with mail-orders from Chick Publications and is significantly more rare than the version with the yellow text, which was apparently given away at retail locations. However, both versions are pretty rare, as this tract was pulled from publication in the early 80's and is permanently out of print.

Another interesting thing about this, the next tract, and The Poor Pope? (1983) is that Chick Publications allowed Alberto Rivera and his own "AIC Christian Ministries" to reprint and distribute the tracts however they saw fit. The AIC versions are just poorly assembled photo-copies of the originals with a different back cover.

Above: Alberto (AIC) version, these were obviously copied and hand-stapled rather than professionally printed as Chick tracts are.

Top: Mail-order Chick version. Bottom: Alberto (AIC) version.

You can read the comics here:

http://www.fmh-child.org/Chick_Christian_Comic_Books.html

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Tract #50 - Kiss the Protestants Good-bye (1981)

Top: white text mail-order version. Middle: light blue text Canadian version (?). Bottom: Orange/ red text retail version.

Above: Alberto (AIC) version.

These are all very rare, and far more difficult to find than copies of My Name?...In the Vatican? or 1983's The Poor Pope?.

This is the second of the 1980 promo tracts for Alberto Rivera's story. See My Name?...In the Vatican? above for more information.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Tract #49 - My Name?...In the Vatican? (1980)

Top: Mail-order version. Bottom: Retail version.

There is no better way to learn about Jack Chick's fascination with Alberto Rivera and various Catholic conspiracies than to simply read this tract, the next tract (Kiss the Protestants Goodbye) and the Alberto comics (see link below). I'll explain a bit about the different versions though.

Both My Name?...In the Vatican? and Kiss the Protestants Good-bye were printed as promo tracts for the Chick Publications Crusaders series of comics detailing the story of Alberto Rivera. The version with white text on the cover was only available with mail-orders from Chick Publications and is significantly more rare than the version with the yellow text, which was apparently given away at retail locations. However, both versions are pretty rare, as this tract was pulled from publication in the early 80's and is permanently out of print.

Another interesting thing about this, the next tract, and The Poor Pope? (1983) is that Chick Publications allowed Alberto Rivera and his own "AIC Christian Ministries" to reprint and distribute the tracts however they saw fit. The AIC versions are just poorly assembled photo-copies of the originals with a different back cover.

Above: Alberto (AIC) version, these were obviously copied and hand-stapled rather than professionally printed as Chick tracts are.

Top: Mail-order Chick version. Bottom: Alberto (AIC) version.

You can read the comics here:

http://www.fmh-child.org/Chick_Christian_Comic_Books.html

loving hell, schizophrenia level conspiracy theory. so what was Alberto Rivera's deal. was he just a weird nutjob or was he just a con-man who struck gold?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

loving hell, schizophrenia level conspiracy theory. so what was Alberto Rivera's deal. was he just a weird nutjob or was he just a con-man who struck gold?

The latter. OR IS THAT JUST WHAT "THEY" WANT YOU TO THINK? HAW! HAW!

No really, it's the latter, probably with a bit of the former. Even mainline evangelicals thought he was a fraud.

e: Article from a then-popular evangelical magazine about how much of a fraud he was.

skasion fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 14, 2016

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
If homosexuality is wrong, how can I love jesus?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

ditty bout my clitty posted:

If homosexuality is wrong, how can I love jesus?

You're supposed to choose to be straight and to accept Jesus as your personal savior.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
If homosexuality is wrong, then why does the resurrected body of Jesus have holes in his hands for giving the ultimate handies to his bros? What about that naughty gash in his side?

E: also the Church is his bride and depending on era, Song of Solomon has been interpreted as a picture of Christ's love for his Church.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Gutter Phoenix posted:

100% of doctors agree - Jesus is the only medicine you'll ever need!

I'm not on any review committees, but this seems like unethical behaviour for a medical doctor :colbert:

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

BORN TO SIN
POPE IS A gently caress
SAVE EM ALL 1989
I AM TRACT MAN
410,757,864,530 DEAD JESUITS

naem
May 29, 2011

:stare:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Dehumanize yourself and face to the Big Computer in the Vatican.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Dreddout posted:

BORN TO SIN
POPE IS A gently caress
SAVE EM ALL 1989
I AM TRACT MAN

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Dreddout posted:

BORN TO SIN
POPE IS A gently caress
SAVE EM ALL 1989
I AM TRACT MAN

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Dreddout posted:

BORN TO SIN
POPE IS A gently caress
SAVE EM ALL 1989
I AM TRACT MAN

doodlebugs
Feb 18, 2015

by Lowtax

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

skasion posted:

The latter. OR IS THAT JUST WHAT "THEY" WANT YOU TO THINK? HAW! HAW!

No really, it's the latter, probably with a bit of the former. Even mainline evangelicals thought he was a fraud.

e: Article from a then-popular evangelical magazine about how much of a fraud he was.

I am sure he was con-man. but that raises one of my questions of how many of these people(tevanglicals, evangelicals, etc) are just con man and how many are just nut jobs.

like i think kevan swanson is a legit nutjob. http://www.rightwingwatch.org/people/kevin-swanson/

but people like henry lewis ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvYQh5xwO4I&t=6s) are probaly con men, so why do all the women on the panal believe him, like how he was king warlock and met shiva and poo poo. is it like a weird religious version of the emperor has no clothes.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Well, I can believe that someone might have the legitimate experience of meeting Shiva, or truly believe that they were the leading occultist in America for a few years. Those things are likely true to them, or at least some of them. People that don't go on TV and seek attention seem more likely to have had genuine experiences, to my mind.

I've had several genuine religious experiences in my lifetime, including briefly connecting with the divine and being stalked by demonic entities.

I'm an atheist now, whereas I was a devout Christian in my youth. The demons were sleep paralysis and night terrors/night hags filtered through what I knew and believed. Once I found out that my strange waking nightmares were a common experience shared throughout all cultures, times and religions and that they had scientific reasons behind them, I stopped being terrified and started being fascinated when I had an episode. Over the years the dreams have just faded away as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, talk therapy and psychiatric medication have quieted my inner turmoil, self-hate, and doubts.

I've "touched the divine" both as a believer and an atheist. The right combination of mood and stimulus, often coupled with large groups of other people focused on the same thing, like a worship service or a particularly intense metal concert, have induced that euphoric, transcendent state in me. It's really hard to describe, but the feeling is the most intense thing I've ever felt or will again, until the next time. Then again, I also reached that rarefied state once by listening to a really lovely album for the first time on my headphones, spacing out, and then coming to an hour later. I was manic at the time, so it was a bit easier than normal I suppose.

That all said, just because I might believe that someone's supernatural or spiritual experiences are genuine, doesn't mean that they are real in the measurable, scientific sense (other than brain scans, I guess). It's not an "event" that happened that can be recorded in history, but was rather just the the right chemical slurry in the right bit of brain, or the proper ELF from a pipe to provoke visual hallucinations on the edge of vision and a sense of impending dread. To a schizophrenic, a bipolar, or even many normal people experiencing hallucinations, those events are very real in their minds.

Credulous Skeptic
Oct 31, 2012

Pvt.Scott posted:

Well, I can believe that someone might have the legitimate experience of meeting Shiva, or truly believe that they were the leading occultist in America for a few years. Those things are likely true to them, or at least some of them. People that don't go on TV and seek attention seem more likely to have had genuine experiences, to my mind.

I've had several genuine religious experiences in my lifetime, including briefly connecting with the divine and being stalked by demonic entities.

I'm an atheist now, whereas I was a devout Christian in my youth. The demons were sleep paralysis and night terrors/night hags filtered through what I knew and believed. Once I found out that my strange waking nightmares were a common experience shared throughout all cultures, times and religions and that they had scientific reasons behind them, I stopped being terrified and started being fascinated when I had an episode. Over the years the dreams have just faded away as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, talk therapy and psychiatric medication have quieted my inner turmoil, self-hate, and doubts.

I've "touched the divine" both as a believer and an atheist. The right combination of mood and stimulus, often coupled with large groups of other people focused on the same thing, like a worship service or a particularly intense metal concert, have induced that euphoric, transcendent state in me. It's really hard to describe, but the feeling is the most intense thing I've ever felt or will again, until the next time. Then again, I also reached that rarefied state once by listening to a really lovely album for the first time on my headphones, spacing out, and then coming to an hour later. I was manic at the time, so it was a bit easier than normal I suppose.

That all said, just because I might believe that someone's supernatural or spiritual experiences are genuine, doesn't mean that they are real in the measurable, scientific sense (other than brain scans, I guess). It's not an "event" that happened that can be recorded in history, but was rather just the the right chemical slurry in the right bit of brain, or the proper ELF from a pipe to provoke visual hallucinations on the edge of vision and a sense of impending dread. To a schizophrenic, a bipolar, or even many normal people experiencing hallucinations, those events are very real in their minds.

Former evangelical here. I experienced religious ecstasy more than once in the Born-again (tm), backwoods, out-house having churches of my youth. A combination of brain chemistry mixed with a group of similarly-primed fellow believers creates a feedback loop - it is a kind of mass hysteria.

At the time, I believed it to be - and the church certainly encourages such belief - to be the spirit of God moving through the church. I wouldn't go back to those days of ignorance for anything, but I have never experienced anything quite like it since.

Seriously, it's a high not unlike love-saturated sex.

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
has jack chick come back from the dead yet?? it's been way more than 3 days!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
he's not coming back. Chick was very thorough in his doctrine, but not thorough enough. he forgot to dot one theological I and cross one spiritual T, so now he's marinating in the burning lake of fire. nice try Jacko.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
One downside of dying at a much older age than Jesus (version 1.0) is that your friends are also really old and they throw their backs out trying to roll the boulder out of the way.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

uber_stoat posted:

he's not coming back. Chick was very thorough in his doctrine, but not thorough enough. he forgot to dot one theological I and cross one spiritual T, so now he's marinating in the burning lake of fire. nice try Jacko.

HAW HAW

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Tract #51 - Are Roman Catholics Christians? (1981)

Above: 1981 white text mail-order and green-text retail versions.

Above: 1985 revision and current version.

Jack Chick seemed to have been a bit obsessed with Catholic conspiracies after meeting Alberto Rivera, as previously seen with 1980's My Name?... In the Vatican? and 1981's Kiss the Protestants Good-bye. Like those two titles, Are Roman Catholics Christians? was also published as a promotional tract, although it has a more general anti-Catholic theme rather than being focused on Alberto's conspiratorial claims. While the other two were eventually pulled from publication and are now permanently our of print, Are Roman Catholics Christians? received a revision and new cover in 1985, and has remained in print almost unchanged ever since.

The 1981 version shows a priest using his powers of transubstantiation. ZAP!

There are some other changes between the 1981 promo version (top) and the 1985 regular version (bottom), although they are both hostile towards Catholicism.

The last few pages of the 1981 version promote Chick tracts and the Crusaders comics, particularly those that tell the story of Alberto Rivera.

Here is a scan of the 1985 revision:

https://www.scribd.com/document/77274967/Chick-Tract-Are-Roman-Catholics-Christian

Here is the current version (also has the 1985 copyright date):

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0071/0071_01.asp

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Tract #52 - The Big Spender (1982)

This is a modern day retelling of the parable of the prodigal son. Howard wins big at a casino. A couple of guys run his car off the road, steal his money, beat him up, and leave him for dead.

He ends up homeless, and has to listen to a sermon in order to get food from a soup kitchen. Coincidentally, the preacher tells the story of the prodigal son. Howard can relate to the story, and decides to accept Christ.

The Big Spender went out of print in 1985 and hasn't been reprinted since then, although it is still available to be ordered in quantities of 10,000 or more copies. It's not an amazing tract, but it had a pretty short initial run, so it can be a tough one to find.

There is a fairly recent German version from 2003, although that one appears to have gone out of print recently as well.

Here is the current version:

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0091/0091_01.asp

Here is the 2003 German version:

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0444/0444_01.asp

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Dreddout posted:

BORN TO SIN
POPE IS A gently caress
SAVE EM ALL 1989
I AM TRACT MAN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Tract #53 - Back From the Dead (1982)

Top to bottom: original and recent versions (both have 1982 copyright), Arabic version (1991).

This one is pretty straightforward. A man dies in the hospital and comes back to life, but not before spending some time in Hell. He asks to talk to a preacher so he can get saved, post-haste.

Fred Carter did some neat drawings of demons for this one:

Back From the Dead hasn't changed much since it was first published. The current version is available here:

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0096/0096_01.asp