Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Dammit, I really liked Dishonored 1 but this game is rubbing me the wrong way in so many ways now.

- Intro with an overview of the history shows Corvo straight up killing two guys, but Emily isn't psycho. So is the canon of D1 High Chaos or Low Chaos? If Corvo in the past went out of his way not to kill, why is he so readily suspected of being a murderer now? If the answer is that people think Corvo was a killer even though he wasn't, well, wouldn't they think Emily rose to power "on a pile of bodies" even though she didn't, and treat her that way, with similar psychological effect on her? It just screams "hey, we made this game mechanic that deconstructs the idea of a cool hero who kills, but now we're going back on it"

- Never knew that you could just use a bottle of whiskey as a Molotov Cocktail with no need for an igniter or anything. I wouldn't mind this except it's supposed to be a game where physics-based trickery is a thing, and how can you do that if the rules of physics aren't normal or predictable?

- And on top of that, bloodfly infested mansion where weapons and tools perfect for killing bloodflies are just laid on the counters?

- Emily has to dodge guards when she escapes because her face is bare. Then she covers up when she gets to Karmaca, but oh no, now guards kill all strangers! That feels like something a bad D&D GM would get glasses thrown at him for.

- Far Reach seems to have really weird rules about where it takes you. It'll sometimes even point in a direction that's the complete opposite of the way you're facing.

- While I like the new "parry sword attack into choke-out" option it does feel a bit like a lazy way of avoiding having to actually design the maps to have a nonlethal option. When people detect you just seems to be arbitrary now, sometimes the detection meter pops up off the screen for someone far away. Meanwhile I can walk right up to the stand with the Abbey guys in Mission 2 and steal the runes and bone charms off it while they are still preaching and they ignore me.

- Oh, on that topic, why can't I tell the Abbey guys about Delilah? Like, how they freak out if they see me Far Reach, but turning a dude to stone right in front of them couldn't possibly indicate massive heresy?

- Reloading is way too slow for having to reload 10 times because a random person I couldn't see, saw me, and aggroed the entire map.

hyphz fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

There are a couple of side characters, yeah.

Morgan and Custis, for example

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

hyphz posted:

- Intro with an overview of the history shows Corvo straight up killing two guys, but Emily isn't psycho. So is the canon of D1 High Chaos or Low Chaos? If Corvo in the past went out of his way not to kill, why is he so readily suspected of being a murderer now? If the answer is that people think Corvo was a killer even though he wasn't, well, wouldn't they think Emily rose to power "on a pile of bodies" even though she didn't, and treat her that way, with similar psychological effect on her? It just screams "hey, we made this game mechanic that deconstructs the idea of a cool hero who kills, but now we're going back on it"

Neither. The neutral ending of Dishonored 1 is canon, where the rat plague is extinguished but Dunwall doesn't go through a golden age of prosperity and all that. So, either low chaos, but Corvo did it lethally, or high chaos and Corvo was non-lethal. Take your pick.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

:frogout:

http://i.imgur.com/su8Gdf0.gifv

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Here's a code for Dishonored 1 Definitive Edition for PS4. Quote this post if you took it, thanks.

8RAK-H6NA-TTQE

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Bought this on PC against my better judgment and it runs even worse than I was expecting regardless of which settings I use or the numerous "fixes" I apply. Keeping my playtime under 2 hours so I can do a Steam refund if the upcoming patch doesn't actually fix it.

Until that comes out, I've been replaying Dishonored 1 again. I would suggest everyone else do the same, because you can summon big swarms of rats to eat people alive. The screaming alerts more enemies who then run over to try and stop the rats, only to be eaten themselves. Not sure why there are weapons and other stuff in the game but you can use those as well, theoretically.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

CJacobs posted:

Neither. The neutral ending of Dishonored 1 is canon, where the rat plague is extinguished but Dunwall doesn't go through a golden age of prosperity and all that. So, either low chaos, but Corvo did it lethally, or high chaos and Corvo was non-lethal. Take your pick.

Presumably low chaos lethal, since high chaos would make Emily psycho. I guess this also explains why in the Coup sequence he instantly goes for the heart stab on Delilah even though all she's done at that point is speak.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Morgan and Custis, for example

Curnow is another, and here and there in this game the Heart will point out two dudes (usually Overseers :v:) having illicit affairs.

But yeah, I just started playing yesterday, and have only gotten through two missions in 5 hours (?!?) and it's a great time so far; I went Hard because I came straight off the first game, and everything's kinda kicking my rear end due to heightened perception and other factors, but I don't mind as it feels story appropriate. (Besides, I'm still figuring things out and am reasonably certain how to ghost the levels, but... Documents! Shinies! Convos! I must see it all! :swoon:) As has been mentioned the parry-choke is real good, y'all, as well as the wider variety of nonlethal options.

Am excited to continue, but I just found out where the 4th painting was on level two and... I'm going to be playing this game for a while, aren't I? :stare:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mr. Crow posted:

It makes me really happy we actually got a sense of where we are in the world this time (i.e. maps)

There were maps in some of the levels in DH1.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Jerusalem posted:

That was so adorable I thought the guard singing it should take a nap afterwards :3:

I insisted.

I need to stop thinking about that kiss.

That kiss....... :stwoon:

I like how later on you can find another guard saying "I don't know why he's making such a big deal out of it. Besides, I wasn't the one doing the kissing :blush:"

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Genocyber posted:

There were maps in some of the levels in DH1.

Yup, they were loot items so a lot of players probably just grabbed them without looking at them but they were the same as the maps on the walls in dishonored 2. The great majority of the setting you see and hear about in dishonored 2 was already established in 1.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

RatHat posted:

Here's a code for Dishonored 1 Definitive Edition for PS4. Quote this post if you took it, thanks.

8RAK-H6NA-TTQE

I took it. Thanks my man. :discourse:

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

I just want Arkane to patch this loving game so I can even get past the first loading screen :negative:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I kind of wish I'd ghosted/non-lethal with Emily. Domino makes everything easier. With Corvo I'm having to abuse Bend Time a lot.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Corvo is still pretty much built for lethal stealth, as he was in Dishonored 1. Emily is a lot more non-lethal friendly.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Corvo is still pretty much built for lethal stealth, as he was in Dishonored 1. Emily is a lot more non-lethal friendly.

Otoh Emily's also a ton of fun for lethal poo poo. Shadow walk for easier assassinations, far reach for yanking people from a distance then shanking them, Domino for conservation of ammo/setting three people on fire at once. :v:

Also just had a great moment in the Dust District. Got friendly with the Howlers, stole a sleeping one's coin pouch, she woke up a bit later and started complaining about her missing coin pouch. :allears:

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The game originally starred only Emily and Corvo was added way later into development as a playable character, so I'm not surprised she's more balanced for both pacifist and lethal playthroughs.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

GUI posted:

The game originally starred only Emily and Corvo was added way later into development as a playable character, so I'm not surprised she's more balanced for both pacifist and lethal playthroughs.
She's got more bone charms associated with her powers. I went looking to see if there was anything for enhancing Bend Time and most bone charms are either for Emily's powers, or combat based. It's a bit annoying.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

GUI posted:

I figured that was the case. Plot-wise Emily being stoned and Corvo not makes way less sense.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

i am dumb

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 15, 2016

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm also a bit disappointed that the dialogue isn't substantially different between the two. They changed a few words and called it good. They also probably should have done character specific side quests for replayability.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Digirat posted:

It really should filter out bone charms that don't apply to you so they don't appear at all. As emily there is no reason for me to ever want the "more white rats" effect. or as corvo but that's because its bad

They do, I didn't get a single Emily power bone charm as Corvo and I haven't gotten any for Corvo as Emily so far either. :confused:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Firos posted:

I just want Arkane to patch this loving game so I can even get past the first loading screen :negative:

Same, but for unplayable framerate dips :negative:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I can confirm that tampering with the device in the conservatory will knock out all remaining witches. Though if you're doing a non-lethal run you might want to check stats to make sure none of them broke their necks.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

CJacobs posted:

They do, I didn't get a single Emily power bone charm as Corvo and I haven't gotten any for Corvo as Emily so far either. :confused:

I got the white rats one as emily. Unless she gets some value out of that, it's not good for anything but a couple whale bone.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 15, 2016

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Among other things that changed between the leaks in 2014 and the final game is that at some point it was going to have a versus multiplayer mode. Thankfully they ended up scrapping it instead of making something that would've died two weeks after release.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Digirat posted:

I got the white rats one as emily. Unless there is some value to that for her.

There are at least two other bone charms that deal with white rats, that being killing them restoring health or mana. They're not very useful to either character but they are character-neutral, even though Corvo is the guy with Rat Elemental powers.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

News to me, I thought the only value to them was the charm that lets corvo possess them for longer. Should have played further before complaining.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

CJacobs posted:

even though Corvo is the guy with Rat Elemental powers.

Ah, thanks for providing my next D&D monster.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"I have come from the plane of icky creatures to steal your paintings and jellied eels," said my original character Rephen Stussell

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
100% Jellied Eel diet, my hair has never been glossier.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Digirat posted:

I got the white rats one as emily. Unless she gets some value out of that, it's not good for anything but a couple whale bone.

I think I recall picking up a bone charm that increases the chance of white rats being in rat swarms - I haven't used that one or the "white rats give mana" so I don't know if it really makes a large difference.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I don't think I saw it in any lore books but does Morley or Tivia have any rat/bloodfly analogies that could be used for future games? Well I guess rats are everywhere.

I wonder why the devs changed the clockwork soldier's faces from the porcelain human to the droid ones. The in-game lore explanations is that the human faces were less creepy lol

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 15, 2016

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Lakbay posted:

I don't think I saw it in any lore books but does Morley or Tivia have any rat/bloodfly analogies that could be used for future games? Well I guess rats are everywhere.

I wonder why the devs changed the clockwork soldier's faces from the porcelain human to the droid ones. The in-game lore explanations is that the human faces were less creepy lol

the real world explanation is that the porcelain faces were 1000 times freakier and their playtesters didnt like it

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I played through to the end of mission 3 last night and the game is better-ish now, though still having trouble with some mechanics like drop-KOs not triggering and other weirdness - i distracted a group of guards with a thrown bottle and when he went to walk past I wanted to jump out of the window to behind him for a choke - only it jumped me out directly in front of him instead.

I think at this point I am going to be finishing emily as high chaos since I have done the last three missions with that rating, but its clicking a bit better now that I have a few more powers and gear.

is there any night missions coming up? The daylight is killing a lot of the mood tbh.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Laserface posted:

is there any night missions coming up? The daylight is killing a lot of the mood tbh.

There is at least one night mission, I think two but not sure, and one very overcast one.

VVEdit: Haha, I had that exact combo and it was loving ridiculous, Charm Crafting is the real way to break the game. Also I'm fairly sure that you CAN use bone charms even if you don't take the outsider's magic.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 15, 2016

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
Decided I would mess around with bone charm crafting. I'm not sure what most players experiences have been like, but almost all my bone charms except the "unique" ones are fairly terrible. Only useful for sacrificing so I can get the traits and raw whalebone. The one good one I have picked up makes possessed hosts fall unconscious after I leave them (great if you are Corvo).

I created a 4 slot charm using the "moves faster while stealthed trait". If you have the right talent you can have the same trait in each slot. With that trait x4 I now move faster in stealth than I do walking normally. I did the same thing with another charm that increases speed while carrying a body. Those two combined mean I now move almost as fast carrying a body, as I do unimpeded while sprinting.

Just out of curiosity for those people playing without powers do you still get access to enhancements?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Hoboskins posted:

Just out of curiosity for those people playing without powers do you still get access to enhancements?

Powers tab doesn't even show up meaning you lose out on enhancements and bonecharm crafting.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Final mission questions: What's the 3rd way to deal with delilah? There's killing her, placing the corrupt rune on the throne, and then at the very end I got a pop up saying i missed another way to kill her

And of course the very first bonecharm I get on my loud/lethal run is strong arms :sigh:

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Connoisseur
Oct 2, 2010

"Every minute we waste could be the difference between a soldier goin' home alive or goin' home in a bag."
Playing the Clockwork Mansion mission again and actually took the offer to meet with Kindosh at the start instead of immediately sneaking off. I heartily recommend doing that because it adds tons of dialogue from Kindosh over the PA system commenting on almost everything you do.

• Locked thread