Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

TMMadman posted:

But it's behind a paywall :(

Edit - wait, you probably meant the sun times. When I hear times and crossword I immediately think of the NY Times.

No, I meant NYT. My posting should have already established that I'm a snob. NYT crossword app has a 7-day free trial period, if memory serves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

These articles drive me crazy.

http://www.realclearsports.com/articles/2016/11/15/theo_epstein_new_and_improved_billy_beane_98474.html

Epstein isn't a better Beane. Beane has to sell his chimney to buy firewood every 5 years.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Spoeank posted:

Hunter you're such a goddamned weirdo I wouldn't doubt it was a wand

There is nothing weird or wrong about Hunter Pence cosplaying to go see Fantastic Beasts

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N: Cubs vs Cardinals will open the 2017 Baseball Season

V: Owns.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Would make more sense to me to remove the QO and basically assign compensation picks to teams that lose FAs, but these would not be actual assigned 1st round picks.

Wasn't this basically the system that existed before the QO, with Elias Sports Bureau's rankings determining the placement of the pick?

Edit: Anyway, if the QO really is going away, that would be a pretty big win, although I wonder just how much the players would have to give up to put that thing back in the bottle. Michael Weiner really was a spineless piece of poo poo.

Timby fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Nov 15, 2016

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Cards have opened a lot of the seasons recently, haven't they? I want to say Cards/Bucs was the first game of 2016, Cubs/Cards was the first of 2015 and if memory serves Cards/Marlins opened 2012 with the first ever game in front of the Dinger Machine.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Jon Hamm's big dumb smug face makes me mad every time I see it

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Timby posted:

Wasn't this basically the system that existed before the QO, with Elias Sports Bureau's rankings determining the placement of the pick?

While the picks were determined by some bizarre ranking system, teams still lost draft picks when signing A level free agents that were offered arbitration by their previous team. B level free agents offered arbitration returned compensation to the losing team but didn't cost the signing team anything.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Pancakes posted:

2012 with the first ever game in front of the Dinger Machine.

it's that old already? our little dinger machine is growing up so fast...

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

They should start setting off the dinger machine for strikeouts too, in honor of jose

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Intruder posted:

Jon Hamm's big dumb smug face makes me mad every time I see it

Same but Paul Ryan.

Finally found a shop that had a few locker room championship tshits in stock (woe, Canada) so I will have to order the rest of the historic win memorabilia online. Just as the Canadian dollar is hitting 10 year lows THANKS TRUMP :argh:

But got all jazzed up on baseball so I have booked time in my local batting cage to get ready for spring

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Terry Francona and Dave Roberts win Managers of the Year for their respective leagues.

AL voting: http://bbwaa.com/16-al-mgr/
NL voting: http://bbwaa.com/16-nl-mgr/

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

cubs/cards will be to the 10s what redsox/yanks were to the aughts
hot take

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

should have been the New Orleans Étouffée

https://twitter.com/MiLBPromos/status/798673907091812352

http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2016/11/15...adbpr=241544156

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Nov 16, 2016

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

https://twitter.com/mccoveychron/status/798677402880573440

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I am so hyped for the Staten Island Pizza Rats, now that they've dragged the whole thing out so long that nobody remembers what they're even referencing.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Inspector_666 posted:

I am so hyped for the Staten Island Pizza Rats, now that they've dragged the whole thing out so long that nobody remembers what they're even referencing.

Did Pizza Rats win? I haven't seen anything more current than September.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Infidel Castro posted:

Did Pizza Rats win? I haven't seen anything more current than September.

I'm just assuming, since it was in the lead.

Really I figure they'll claim "Heroes" won because, c'mon.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

As long as they play this often. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2XGp5ix8HE

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

The Braves got R.A. Dickey and Bartolo Colon, with a combined age of 85.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

will_colorado posted:

should have been the New Orleans Étouffée

I would have gone for the New Orleans Bad Detectives but I guess a festive dessert beating the poo poo out of you works too.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Goodpancakes posted:

That's also their combined fastball velocity

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

That's also their combined fastball velocity

Reminder that Bartolo Colon has been an extremely effective pitcher the past few years throwing 89MPH fastballs 90% of the time.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I think the Braves are going to have an elite defense so long as Adonis isn't starting 85% of the games so I think those signings make sense as a team that isn't in Flags Fly Forever mode yet.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
wow! Astros pony up 14m for two years of Charlie Morton. Good for Chuck, he seemed like a nice guy for the ten seconds he was on the Phillies before his hammy exploded. I hope he does well there, unless they're playing the Mariners in which case I hope he has an off day.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Astros going cheap again, what a shock

I'm sure Morton and his career 4.1 FIP and 1.44 WHIP is just what this team needs to put it over the top

e:

quote:

This Fangraphs article identified Morton in April 2016 as having the best curveball spin rate in baseball. Curveball spin rate was an important factor in picking up Collin McHugh.

The article in question:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-phillies-are-curveballing-their-way-into-the-future/

And yes, the same factor that brought in the wildly successful Collin McHugh, perfect

Intruder fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 16, 2016

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Intruder posted:

And yes, the same factor that brought in the wildly successful Collin McHugh, perfect

hey, he was good for the four or five games he pitched before people saw through the visage.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

This has to be the worst bunch of free agent SPs like, ever, right? Jason Hammel, Charlie Morton, Ivan Nova, Rich "Blister" Hill and a couple of senior citizens. Jeez

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The Pussy Boss posted:

This has to be the worst bunch of free agent SPs like, ever, right? Jason Hammel, Charlie Morton, Ivan Nova, Rich "Blister" Hill and a couple of senior citizens. Jeez

Yeah when Rich Hill is the creme of the crop you've sunk pretty low. Not that Hill doesn't pitch like an ace when he's on - he does - but with his age + injury issues he'd be an afterthought in last year's FA class.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Intruder posted:

Astros going cheap again, what a shock

I'm sure Morton and his career 4.1 FIP and 1.44 WHIP is just what this team needs to put it over the top

e:

The article in question:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-phillies-are-curveballing-their-way-into-the-future/

This feels like it was yesterday but it was actually forever ago.

http://www.sbnation.com/2011/7/29/2303478/roy-halladay-and-charlie-morton-can-you-possibly-tell-them-apart

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Paul Zuvella posted:

Reminder that Bartolo Colon has been an extremely effective pitcher the past few years throwing 89MPH fastballs 90% of the time.

Remember a couple years ago when Bartolo threw something like 35 strikes in a row? That was weird.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The Pussy Boss posted:

Its the worst FA class in general in as long as I can remember. There are really only 6 or 7 bats worth a drat, a handful of relievers and then a bunch of reclamation projects.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

tinstaach posted:

Remember a couple years ago when Bartolo threw something like 35 strikes in a row? That was weird.

I was at that game. poo poo was wild.

The Pussy Boss posted:

Did CJ Wilson retire? Is he even a reclamation project? I don't know if he was mentioned even 5 times all of last season during broadcasts. I couldn't even tell you what his injury was. Shoulder? Elbow? I don't know if he had surgery or was rehabbing or what he was up to? Never once was in the dugout.

Good Dog fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 16, 2016

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

The Pussy Boss posted:

The Cardinals cackle madly with their nine potential starters:

Wainwright, Martinez, Wacha, Leake, Lynn, Reyes, Gonzales, Weaver, Garcia.

What are we bid for the sexy, sexy corpse of Jaime Garcia?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

tadashi posted:

I think the Braves are going to have an elite defense so long as Adonis isn't starting 85% of the games so I think those signings make sense as a team that isn't in Flags Fly Forever mode yet.
You assuming Markakis moves and Inciarte/Mallex make up for Kemp? And I think Dansby made some great plays but also his share of rookie errors and 2B is still uncertain so the middle infield could be not to far above average.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Pancakes posted:

The Cardinals cackle madly with their nine potential starters:

Wainwright, Martinez, Wacha, Leake, Lynn, Reyes, Gonzales, Weaver, Garcia.

What are we bid for the sexy, sexy corpse of Jaime Garcia?

2 or 3 of those guys might be average!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The one thing I can see for Morton is that he has such a high ground ball rate and the Astros infield is filled with good defenders who shift a lot, way more than any other team IIRC

Of course that doesn't always work, last year in the playoffs the Royals were more than happy to hit into the holes in the shift

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Goodpancakes posted:

Jamie Moyer wasn't available?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I always liked Charlie Morton for reasons that I will readily admit are completely not grounded in logic, and I will miss having him here in the NL East. Anyway

N: Jeurys Familia's wife said the Mets closer was drunk and "going crazy" on the night of his Oct. 31 arrest on a domestic violence charge in Fort Lee, N.J., according to a 911 tape obtained by NJ Advance Media.

V: Oooooooooyyyy not again :ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Jerry Howarth (blue jays radio announcer) has prostate cancer . :( It was caught in the early stages so they're optimistic about the surgery but that still sucks. He's a great guy. I met him a few times , my high school baseball coach was friends with him. One time I had to call him to pick up some tickets he set aside for the team and he sounded exactly like he did on the radio. That tripped out teenage me but I guess that's just his voice :downs:

• Locked thread