Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Javaman98
Jul 15, 2002

ask me about strobing in LoL
It doesn't look like you can enable mods with a saved game unless I'm missing something. Also is there honestly no way to destroy your own city? I got a city in trade because someone settled too close and I beat on them till they gave it to me and I want to get rid of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
is there any loving way to speed up end turn? it's not even the first 30 turns and it is just DRAGGING ON.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Smaller maps, less civs? More RAM?

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Quick combat and movement helps a little bit too.

Also, anybody here got war declared by Ghandi yet? His quote is rather funny, I thought. Paraphrased, "Don't ask me how I keep the morale high ground by declaring this war. I just do."

Tarquinn fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Nov 16, 2016

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

John F Bennett posted:

Smaller maps, less civs? More RAM?

Its definitely not a computer problem. I just feel like this game is so poorly optimized quick combat/movement is already on and it still feels like its half to a quarter of the speed civilization 5 is.

Or does marathon games really do mean 200% slower? hah

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

It's weird, I feel exactly the opposite. Civ 5 took forever to end turn but 6 seems to get right to business and it's still possible to open city or science info while it's working. The under the hood improvements are one of the things I immediately appreciated about 6.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Tom Tucker posted:

B-) Jakarta - Your trading posts foreign +1 Gold to Trade routes passing through. I find it impossible to track, predict, or plan my trading posts, and I usually just pick the biggest route to send guys to... maybe if I planned trade routes better this would be better?

When I played as Rome, and got auto Tradeposts in every city, I still never saw more than 2 gold from tradeposts so I have no idea how they path. Logically when I trade from one end of my empire to the other it should be pathing through half a dozen cities, but it doesn't seem to.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Tom Tucker posted:

C) Hattusa - Provides you with 1 of each Strategic resource you have revealed but do not own. Not that handy now that only military units really require strategy resources.

I'm shocked you rate this one so low, it's easily my favourite. Resources are so rare and it solves a load of problems.

I've also not noticed the AI upgrading their units more often when they have Hattusa which suggests just balancing those out won't fix the upgrade issue.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

greazeball posted:

It's weird, I feel exactly the opposite. Civ 5 took forever to end turn but 6 seems to get right to business and it's still possible to open city or science info while it's working. The under the hood improvements are one of the things I immediately appreciated about 6.

Same for me. I'm playing on a huge map with all 18 civs and even in the modern age it goes by pretty fast. About 10 seconds per turn. Much much faster than civ5 on the same PC.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

greazeball posted:

Yeah, it's really nice. I feel like they could have gone on step further and let you actually make changes to your empire during this time though. It feels rather half done that I can click on a city and go to the production selection screen, choose a different production and have the screen act as if it's accepted my change but actually have nothing happen. I understand that moving units and things while other players are having their turn isn't feasible, but it seems like they could have done a better job of permitting certain actions, or at least making it more clear that those actions weren't possible.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

If you aren't the last player you can un-end turn, do something real quick, and end it again. It isn't ideal but worked for me.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
It's probably situational but I love the policies/City States bonuses that let you buy buildings and/or units with Faith. While you can use it on Great People the cost ramps up pretty quickly and for buildings (at least, not sure about units) the cost is fixed.

Then again I've been playing Russia a lot and I always end up swimming in faith even if I'm not going for a religious victory, which is always.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I really enjoy the city/terrain management part of the game so I wish the rest of the game was as cool and good as it. Other little things like city-states and espionage are also mostly better than their V counterparts but there are just so many bugs and exploits.

At least modding is proving to be a worthy distraction that will hopefully keep me busy until the first patch.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

With how important strategic resources are, I think a quick fix to the AI would be having their fastest unit beeline for your strategic resources and pillage them after a war starts. Pillaging is such an underutilized tool by the AI. It really fucks me up whenever it's done.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Niwrad posted:

With how important strategic resources are, I think a quick fix to the AI would be having their fastest unit beeline for your strategic resources and pillage them after a war starts. Pillaging is such an underutilized tool by the AI. It really fucks me up whenever it's done.

Yeah but does it gently caress up the AI? Does pillaging luxuries and giving the AI amenity penalties actually hurt them? Or are they able to ignore happiness and economy (unless they're massively in debt/displeased) and just spawn units to ruin your day because ~its just a game and they exist not to win but to be your foil~ ? There are a lot of good strategies that could gently caress up a player but seem to have no effect on the AI. I'm basing this off of V so assuming it's similar for VI.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Fhqwhgads posted:

Yeah but does it gently caress up the AI? Does pillaging luxuries and giving the AI amenity penalties actually hurt them? Or are they able to ignore happiness and economy (unless they're massively in debt/displeased) and just spawn units to ruin your day because ~its just a game and they exist not to win but to be your foil~ ? There are a lot of good strategies that could gently caress up a player but seem to have no effect on the AI. I'm basing this off of V so assuming it's similar for VI.

Yeah I don't know how it impacts the AI. I just meant they could be much more difficult against humans by using this strategy. Their war strategy is a joke and there is almost no threat from their military at any time.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I am here to confirm that Carthage is pretty much one of the best,if not the best, city states. It's usually a 29 to 35 envoys Battle for Suzerain© for me!

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Valletta is my favorite so far. In one game, I never got a religion, but was able to accumulate faith. I was able to plop down my 4th, 5th, and 6th cities and straight out purchase all of their city center buildings as soon as I settled them. They were fully functioning immediately.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Naturalists are too expensive and National Parks aren't very impactful and extremely difficult to fit into the map.

Though I do like the IDEA of them, the implementation isn't very good yet.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Powercrazy posted:

Naturalists are too expensive and National Parks aren't very impactful and extremely difficult to fit into the map.

Though I do like the IDEA of them, the implementation isn't very good yet.

They're good if you know you're going for them right away. Find a pretty but not entirely convenient area of your empire, and set down markers to remind yourself to not build here. Becomes a LOT easier if you start lumping mountains or wonders into those tiles.

That being said, unless you have a magical wonderland level pretty area you're right they're not THAT strong for taking up four tiles. Unless you get the Eiffel Tower that gives +2 appeal on every tile you own. Then they get pretty amazing.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Is there any benefit after the 6th envoy with a city-state besides the suzerian?

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
So uh, is an SDK gonna happen like they promised?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Niwrad posted:

Is there any benefit after the 6th envoy with a city-state besides the suzerian?

Not unless other cives are trying to take them from you and you want to fight for suzerianity.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Niwrad posted:

There's an apostle "Evangelize Belief" ability that gives you gold per envoy.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

Niwrad posted:

Another civ might put a 7th envoy there and steal your suzerain status, so you'll have to invest more envoys if the city state is being influenced by more civilizations.

There is also a civic that gives you gold based on the amount of envoys you have with city states, I think.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

There's an apostle "Evangelize Belief" ability that gives you gold per envoy.

There's also an Economic policy that gives you +1 gold per envoy with city states.

watchoutitsabear
Sep 8, 2011

Can you guys talk me through decision-making in this game, or point me toward resources? Do you recommend just trying poo poo out and learning the game from my failures? This is my first Civ game- and strategy game at that- and I'm not really sure how to play the long game here. I'm playing as Spain and am in the classical era and Congo just took control of Toronto. Do I declare war on Congo now, or do I bide my time and start a religious war with them later to win back Toronto? Is there a way to liberate a city-state without declaring war on its captor? I'm going for a religious victory so I can't decide if changing all of my production to churn out military units is worth it to gain more control of my continent earlier in the game.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

watchoutitsabear posted:

Can you guys talk me through decision-making in this game, or point me toward resources? Do you recommend just trying poo poo out and learning the game from my failures? This is my first Civ game- and strategy game at that- and I'm not really sure how to play the long game here. I'm playing as Spain and am in the classical era and Congo just took control of Toronto. Do I declare war on Congo now, or do I bide my time and start a religious war with them later to win back Toronto? Is there a way to liberate a city-state without declaring war on its captor? I'm going for a religious victory so I can't decide if changing all of my production to churn out military units is worth it to gain more control of my continent earlier in the game.

If you don't have any/much military, the AI may well be coming for you next, so you'd better start churning them out.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

watchoutitsabear posted:

Here's a question I've had: can you win a religious victory without war? When I've converted cities, the leader makes me promise to stop, and if I do it again, they declare war. Do I need to say "sorry, I'm going to keep converting your cities, suck it up"? That seems like it would lead toward war.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

watchoutitsabear posted:

Civ is weird in that it's actually a very short game even though it takes a long time to play. You are always on a very short timer(until the end of game dredge). When to build up for war, and how long to build for, takes a lot of time to master. I'd say take it back now, if you really want it, and you think you can win. Waiting in this game ends up taking 2 eras, and by that time you won't even need or care about the target anymore.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

prefect posted:

"suck it up"

this is my reply to all of the ai's whining

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Prav posted:

this is my reply to all of the ai's whining

The game really needs to differentiate when the AI starts a war vs. when I do. Roosevelt declared on me, so I took his closest city. He wouldn't ceed it to me and I wouldn't give it back because otherwise he's not going to learn anything.

watchoutitsabear
Sep 8, 2011

The Human Crouton posted:

Civ is weird in that it's actually a very short game even though it takes a long time to play. You are always on a very short timer(until the end of game dredge). When to build up for war, and how long to build for, takes a lot of time to master. I'd say take it back now, if you really want it, and you think you can win. Waiting in this game ends up taking 2 eras, and by that time you won't even need or care about the target anymore.

Thanks so much, this is very helpful! And you too homullus, I didn't even think about that.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

greazeball posted:

So this is probably what I didn't notice. Usually in Civ 5 the early turns would be over very quickly because you didn't see half the map.

late game it would slow to a crawl.

I didn't notice i could manage cities during turns so maybe this will keep me from wanting to smash the keyboard at how long it takes for a simple movement of warriors/archers to finish in the early turns

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Okay so I've played every civ game (well, every main-series civ game) to death. Haven't bought VI yet because I was on vacation.

Now I'm back. Is it actually worth getting yet? Like, is the AI actually that impressively bad to the point where it's not worth playing? Or should I get it and immediately install some mods to make it more fun before even starting?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The AI is pretty bad. There's some neat new features to the game, but you'll probably keep coming back to the AI being bad. Unless you have a real itch to play the new Civ, I'd hold off. It's definitely not worth full price at the moment.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Niwrad posted:

The AI is pretty bad. There's some neat new features to the game, but you'll probably keep coming back to the AI being bad. Unless you have a real itch to play the new Civ, I'd hold off. It's definitely not worth full price at the moment.

Aright. Endless games of crypt of the necrodancer it is.

Sad.

I'll keep following the thread for the eventual patch or mod discussions, I guess.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

silvergoose posted:

Okay so I've played every civ game (well, every main-series civ game) to death. Haven't bought VI yet because I was on vacation.

Now I'm back. Is it actually worth getting yet? Like, is the AI actually that impressively bad to the point where it's not worth playing? Or should I get it and immediately install some mods to make it more fun before even starting?

Whether you should get VI hinges on how you feel about the AI not upgrading its units, very often cycling out units that take a hit, and sometimes attacking you with a carpet of low-tech crap late-game. I think it's fine personally and there's a lot of interesting new stuff to play with in VI, but I have played every Civ game suboptimally since the original. Like, I habitually create the bare minimum military and only play on fast speeds anymore, so warfare takes on a different character.

If I hadn't already done my nigh-endless binges of Crypt of the Necrodancer, though, it would be tough competition for Civ VI.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Well I've already done them, just have 10 deathless cadence and one more green bat and maybe aria all zones left for cheevos (everything else is solidly out of my skill range). But I still enjoy playing it. I dunno.

Regardless, it sounds like I can probably wait at least until some sort of sale. Just sad about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

silvergoose posted:

Well I've already done them, just have 10 deathless cadence and one more green bat and maybe aria all zones left for cheevos (everything else is solidly out of my skill range). But I still enjoy playing it. I dunno.

Regardless, it sounds like I can probably wait at least until some sort of sale. Just sad about it.

It is sad. The bones of a great game are there, but this might be a buy on first expansion game.