Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I feel like I'm taking over Britannia wrong. I've got all but 3 counties of England, Ireland, and none of Scotland. Trying to get duchy claims on Scotland seems real slow because of truce times (and the king being young and hale so apparently immune to intrigue and weak claims) and creating Britannia after a few would only give me de jure claims on one county at a time, right?

What's the right way to do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Once you've created the empire, you can find duchy claimants for each of the duchies you want, invite them to your court, and then press their claim. Then they'll absolutely adore you and likely accept a vassalization offer. Will take a good couple of decades, but faster than going a county at a time. You can speed it up a bit by stacking up fabricated claims as you go (targeting the lands that you can't easily find claimants for), so you can press them all simultaneously in one war.

The alternative option is to find a claimant for the kingdom title itself. Invite them to your court, give them a lovely county somewhere to make them your vassal, then press their claim. Since they were your vassal before, and they're not picking up a title of high enough rank to break that, they'll still be your vassal after taking the throne. You can also skip the give-them-a-county bit by playing the bloodlines game and getting members of your dynasty with claims.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS
You also don't need to claim all of Scotland; assuming you're both the same religion, once you take over half of Scotland you can usurp the Kingdom and start pressing de jure claims against the many duchies and counties.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
People you invite to your court will be forced to accept any marriage proposal you make, even if it's matrilineal. You can use this to get a bunch of duchy claims for your dynasty and if you press them they'll become your vassal.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
How do you stack claims to gain more than one from winning a war?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
If you concentrate all of your claims on one dude you can declare a war to press all of your claims. If you have a strong claim you can also ask the pope for an invasion which gives you all occupied holdings.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

tuyop posted:

How do you stack claims to gain more than one from winning a war?

You can't really. Even if you have claims on all of Scotland through several claimants that you have in your court, you can only press one of them at a time. You can only declare war for several claims if they are the personal claims of your ruler. And getting them on your ruler basically depends on your motver (or your father) passing on their claims to you. And you can fabricate them of course, but that's unreliable, takes a long time and is expensive.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
There aren't too many duchies in Scotland so you should be able to get weak claims through marriage on most of them if you try hard enough.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeesh. I've never had a game where I actually saw a Cadaver Synod before. In my current game, there's been 3. It's only year 824.

Something has gone weird with Cadaver Synods. I had back to back Wicked Priests as Pope and didn't get one.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Walton Simons posted:

This is my first game with Legacy of Rome, is the idea of retinues to have them around all the time in peacetime and eat the cost in exchange for having better troops?

Retinue upkeep is actually pretty low. It's the filling then that kills (wasn't always); however, yes the idea is that they are your personal around all the time fighting... well retinue.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Retinues are better than ordinary troops in literally every possible way, with the only drawback being that you don't get very many. The cost in particular is completely controllable, if you don't want them eating up your cash then just set them to reinforce at half-pace or not at all.

Back in the day it used to be possible to get 20k+ retinues at which point you literally didn't need anything else because armies larger than that are easy to gently caress over via attrition, smaller armies don't stand a chance, and equally-sized armies could skirmish with them and the retinues would reinforce faster and potentially beat them on the next go-round even if they lost the first one.

(It's probably still possible with enough territory but it's unlikely to happen in anything but the most viciously optimized, "paint the entire world my color" kind of games.)

It's still totally possible. In my current game I created the custom kingdom of Marrakech as a Finnish Shia Merchant Republic and my kingdom only covers 6 duchies in the year 1050. I currently have ~20k in heavy infantry retinues with no additional expansion, just teching and building tall.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

pwnyXpress posted:

It's still totally possible. In my current game I created the custom kingdom of Marrakech as a Finnish Shia Merchant Republic and my kingdom only covers 6 duchies in the year 1050. I currently have ~20k in heavy infantry retinues with no additional expansion, just teching and building tall.
Go on....

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Max holdings in my capital, the Canary Islands. I come from a long line of cannibal Caliphs.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

pwnyXpress posted:

Max holdings in my capital, the Canary Islands. I come from a long line of cannibal Caliphs.
Yes but Finns in Morocco? That are Shia?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yes but Finns in Morocco? That are Shia?

Shia is the main religion in Morocco in the 867 start, and there are several small countries there that are easy to take over. Diplo range means you'd need to leapfrog through Brittany first, but Brittany is also disjointed in the 867 start. And if you get lucky with raiding before you convert, there are a few people with Sayyid that you can then marry into your dynasty.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

binge crotching posted:

Shia is the main religion in Morocco in the 867 start, and there are several small countries there that are easy to take over. Diplo range means you'd need to leapfrog through Brittany first, but Brittany is also disjointed in the 867 start. And if you get lucky with raiding before you convert, there are a few people with Sayyid that you can then marry into your dynasty.
:golfclap: Share a screenshot if you get a chance. I dont get to play much anymore so I tend to live/game vicariously through goons who do cool things.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

:golfclap: Share a screenshot if you get a chance. I dont get to play much anymore so I tend to live/game vicariously through goons who do cool things.

I live to make Paradox games as ahistorical as possible. It isn't ironman because I usually like to design my initial ruler's look and family crest, and I savescummed once after losing an important war. What binge crotching said is pretty much what I did otherwise, though I had to leapfrog a few times, not just through Brittany.

Sadly, I lied and have 7 duchies because of my stupid Seville superduke I just broke up. Also, my current Caliph hasn't had a chance to get cannibal yet. Mauretania, Mali, and Africa are all of my dynasty, released from when I conquered most of the continent in Holy Wars to get the necessary prestige and piety for the kingdom and Caliphate creation. Excited to export this to EU4 and come up with some creative ideas for that playthrough.

EDIT: Forgot to show my retinue army:

pwnyXpress fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 18, 2016

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

pwnyXpress posted:

You might have just neglected to mention it, but maxxing out garrisons in your trade posts has a huge impact on your retinue cap once you start looking at 40+ trade posts. 20k for being that small is pretty crazy though. Retinues as a republic are definitely still really important to say the least.

*blows off silk road empire save*

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Volkerball posted:

You might have just neglected to mention it, but maxxing out garrisons in your trade posts has a huge impact on your retinue cap once you start looking at 40+ trade posts. 20k for being that small is pretty crazy though. Retinues as a republic are definitely still really important to say the least.

You get a bunch from your family estate, too. The great thing about the retinue boosts from trade posts/estate is that it adds to your raw cap, so it gets further multiplied by your military org tech.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Volkerball posted:

Niiiice.

Yeah, I didn't actually realize the trade post garrisons affected my retinue cap. I have almost 50 trade posts, fully built out.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Volkerball posted:

I'm pretty jealous that your game was stable enough to make it to the point of having that kind of horde. All my horde games end up just crashing repeatedly after a certain point, usually when I hit about 2-250 vassal barons. I think the next one I need to just go full scorched earth on.

e: oh poo poo, I didn't even realize that was a republic, I just saw all the cavalry and assumed horde. Goddamn that's ridiculous.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
So I've pretty much won my Zoroastrian game, and I thought I'd share some of my favorite rulers and moments along the way.

I started as Vandad Karen in 867, hid under the Samanids, ate their territories bit by bit, declared independence, got swamped by Mongols, hid under the Mongols, declared independence again. So far, pretty uneventful. But then, the unfortunate Khan Kamran I "The Unready" Karen tried to conceive an heir, and instead got a daughter. And another daughter. And then nine daughters, and not a single son.

So when he finally gave up the ghost, his eldest daughter took up the reins. And she was totally badass.

As a Shrewd, Ambitious, Brave, Diligent, Stubborn Brilliant Strategist, Banebshen Yekta "The Chaste" Karen fought and won simultaneous wars on three fronts, crushed revolts, mastered cavalry and mountainous terrain, implemented full rights for women in 1249, and had an enduring sympathy for Judaism.

Some generations later her granddaughter would ascend to the throne as a newborn not even a year old and crush possibly the largest (certainly proportionately the largest) vassal revolt in the history of the realm, rule well for 18 years, and then promptly die in battle fighting off an opportunistic Hindu holy war (and winning.)

More generations pass, and the Karens carved away at the Byzantines and the Caliphate, until finally after 27 generations, their ruler united the Persian Empire, restored the Zoroastrian Priesthood, and declared himself the Saoshyant.

but ... wait a second

Correction: The dimwitted, craven, deceitful, lustful, homosexual, sister-loving Saoshyant who, despite spending over two decades conquering Muslim territories, thinks Islam is just the greatest. :gay:

But what can I say?

I love my dull gay messiah.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Crusader Kings II: I Love My Dull Gay Messiah

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
This like as good a place as any to ask. So I tried starting in 769 as a Zorostrian, and I have two counties I can claim as de jure part of my province. There's even a pop up telling me I can claim them as de-Jure provinces. But I couldn't actually claim them. so I just sent a steward to fabricate a claim and picked up a Zoroastririan holy site.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

thrakkorzog posted:

This like as good a place as any to ask. So I tried starting in 769 as a Zorostrian, and I have two counties I can claim as de jure part of my province. There's even a pop up telling me I can claim them as de-Jure provinces. But I couldn't actually claim them. so I just sent a steward to fabricate a claim and picked up a Zoroastririan holy site.

So, where is your question? Do you want to know why you couldn't press a war for your de jure claims?

Sargeant Biffalot
Nov 24, 2006

ZombieLenin posted:

There is the Game of Thrones mod, which I found incredibly boring (granted it's been a long time since I played it.) Essentially it forces you to play "paint the map." And initially, crown authority was so high that if you played anything below the King level, you couldn't actually declare war on other vassals. You could only "expand" by playing marriage and baby sim and hoping for the best.

I also tried the Oblivion mod once, but I really don't care for the Oblivion universe at all, so it too was boring as hell.

I did want to try out the Warhammer mod. Is that any good?

It runs very poorly but is probably the closest things to what a CK2 Fantasy DLC would be like, as opposed to just an alternate map with a few different events like Game Of Thrones/After The End. The roleplaying side of things is a lot more significant when you can eg: convert to chaos and summon armies, get seduced by vampires that force you to join their crusade against Egypt, gently caress up learning chaos magic and get possessed by demons who make you adopt elective gavelkind, beg the dwarf king for a magic weapon to hunt down the dragon terrorizing the countryside, only to insult him giving all his descendants permanent Grudge CBs on all of yours, invite a witch hunter to your court to stamp out chaos cults only to find out too late he has Zealous + Arbitrary and burns all your heirs alive, etc.

Between the massive event chains and the two hidden kingdoms it's more interesting than playable though.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Darth Windu posted:

What's the weirdest place you invaded, I'll go first...............TREBIZOND!!!
Arabia probably? That one was a result of me having dismantled Africa enough that it was a valid target, then spinning it off to younger sons while still staying in diplorange through holding parts of N-Africa

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Sargeant Biffalot posted:

It runs very poorly but is probably the closest things to what a CK2 Fantasy DLC would be like, as opposed to just an alternate map with a few different events like Game Of Thrones/After The End. The roleplaying side of things is a lot more significant when you can eg: convert to chaos and summon armies, get seduced by vampires that force you to join their crusade against Egypt, gently caress up learning chaos magic and get possessed by demons who make you adopt elective gavelkind, beg the dwarf king for a magic weapon to hunt down the dragon terrorizing the countryside, only to insult him giving all his descendants permanent Grudge CBs on all of yours, invite a witch hunter to your court to stamp out chaos cults only to find out too late he has Zealous + Arbitrary and burns all your heirs alive, etc.

Between the massive event chains and the two hidden kingdoms it's more interesting than playable though.

Hidden kingdoms???

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Warham mod owns but it runs like a slick and wet piece of dog poo that dried out before getting rained on, so stay away if you have an bad computer. If you can play it tho you should definitely play the Breton marcher lord and get a Pegasus and then become a super grail knight, it's really good and fun.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
It does have some optional performance submods to try and cut back on the bloat though, one that does it through reduced textures and several that remove portions of the map.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Aleth posted:

It does have some optional performance submods to try and cut back on the bloat though, one that does it through reduced textures and several that remove portions of the map.

I forgot about those

Also it's not as polished as some of the other big mods if you care about typos and sh*t

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Europe is already a magical fantasy land to me, an American who voted for trump ironically, anyway so HIP is pretty much the only mod I need. As a side note for some reason even tho they're basically the same thing, CK2Plus runs like pre-RIP vanilla, which is to say garbage, while HIP is very smooth, noticed this recently and was confused. It's unfortunate because there are a few things that CK2Plus does better like cultures

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

pwnyXpress posted:

I live to make Paradox games as ahistorical as possible. It isn't ironman because I usually like to design my initial ruler's look and family crest, and I savescummed once after losing an important war. What binge crotching said is pretty much what I did otherwise, though I had to leapfrog a few times, not just through Brittany.

Sadly, I lied and have 7 duchies because of my stupid Seville superduke I just broke up. Also, my current Caliph hasn't had a chance to get cannibal yet. Mauretania, Mali, and Africa are all of my dynasty, released from when I conquered most of the continent in Holy Wars to get the necessary prestige and piety for the kingdom and Caliphate creation. Excited to export this to EU4 and come up with some creative ideas for that playthrough.

EDIT: Forgot to show my retinue army:

Wow this is great, thank you! I miss doing crazy poo poo like this.

Sargeant Biffalot
Nov 24, 2006

Skellybones posted:

Hidden kingdoms???

Part of the background is the surface world is occasionally invaded by hordes of steampunk ratmen and, rather than do the sensible things and represent this the same way vanilla CK2 does the golden horde/aztecs/etc they give them their own giant (really empire sized I think) underground map that nobody else can enter but they can teleport out of. This is very representative of the dev teams general approach.

There's also the island of fantasy-britain but that does eventually become visible to the rest of the map.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sargeant Biffalot posted:

There's also the island of fantasy-britain but that does eventually become visible to the rest of the map.

300 years from start in a mod i've never run for more than 100 without encountering a permanent crash

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Wow this is great, thank you! I miss doing crazy poo poo like this.

It's turning out to be quite a lot of fun. My last four rulers all died from getting too rowdy in the bedchamber. 10% chance my butt.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
re: crazy poo poo

my king declares war on the ashina steppe people to take crimea, and then while fighting their armies gets the chance to enter battle with the ashina emperor.

guy doesnt really give a poo poo, this is a pretty competent guy, like he obviously works out but has a bit of a dad bod going on, not really the kind of guy you look at and say, yeah that's a guy who is definitely a king, anyway he's a pretty good fighter. he is literally a viking.

so he gets into a fight with this horse lord. it goes pretty well at first and he has the guy on his back foot. THE EMPEROR IS DOWN but hes back up and thirsting for blood. he takes my guy down and wants him to yield. my guy is like hell no and he gets up really angrily and they fight more but the emperor shanks my guy in the neck. okay, he's dead.

his heir inherits, obviously everyone votes for him because holy moley we love his dad. and the kid is a b@dass too. main problem: hes at the battle, he's mad, and he wants a bite of the guy who killed his dad. he dies trying to run away

ok, his brother is king now. that's cool. he's definitely not a great fighter so why would he be at the battle too, whoops hes brave and at the battle and hes going for the horse butt. he wants it pretty badly now that hes just seen this barbarian looking man with huge biceps and probably a few awesome tattoos kill his dad and his younger bro. surprising nobody he dies, because you cant diplomacy guys to death. i mean you can but it takes another guy with a sword or a poison or something to do it.

dynasty saved by sheer luck of this angry teen being too young to be a commander. the emperor loses the battle but i dont think he was too beat up about it. ending thoughts: lmao

reenactment screenshots brought to u by the fact that my game crashed and i was in offline mode

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Oh also the ashina are hardcore Jewish and my mom got abducted by the Abbasid caliph and escaped and now i have a sayyid sister

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
Today the basileus made an offer to have my genius, ambitious daughter marry his younger brother. 400 prestige is nothing to scoff at, so I say why not? Then a few months later my other daughter turns 16. Not a prodigy like her sister, but has a really high learning score. The basileus wants to marry her himself. 400 more prestige for me. A year later, the little bro shats himself to death and now my daughter is back in my court. I can't wait for some other king to make an offer. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
No dammit, you were supposed to change those tribal holdings into cities not build castles you merchant dog

What the hell even happens to tribal baronies? Do they just stay tribal forever?

also why on earth hasn't after the end fixed the investure woes of the canadians

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 20, 2016

• Locked thread