Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Jay Rust posted:

I believe the actual Strait of Gibraltar doesn't count as an inland sea, so Tunis and friends' galleys won't do poo poo.

Oh, poo poo, I was crash-building galleys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

spectralent posted:

Oh, poo poo, I was crash-building galleys.

Galleys are still useful against other galleys, and because they are incredibly cheap compared to heavy ships. If you can afford heavy ships they are preferable.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Use the merchant guilds' action to get 5 free heavy ships and you should be fine.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So estates always very slowly move to 50% approval. Asking them of anything reduces their approval by a lot, giving them new territory increases their power or is only possible if you are also expanding, so how are you supposed to boost their loyalty outside of random events? I tend to give everyone the minimum to be happy, and they just sit at 50% meaning I can't really ask them for anything without having to wait like 20 years for their loyalty to come back up. I'm also constantly getting little events that make me choose between -10 for one and +10 for another and so on. For the most part it seems they just find an equilibrium and you can ignore them. But I'd love to engage with them more, I feel like I'm missing part of the strategy.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Baronjutter posted:

So estates always very slowly move to 50% approval. Asking them of anything reduces their approval by a lot, giving them new territory increases their power or is only possible if you are also expanding, so how are you supposed to boost their loyalty outside of random events? I tend to give everyone the minimum to be happy, and they just sit at 50% meaning I can't really ask them for anything without having to wait like 20 years for their loyalty to come back up. I'm also constantly getting little events that make me choose between -10 for one and +10 for another and so on. For the most part it seems they just find an equilibrium and you can ignore them. But I'd love to engage with them more, I feel like I'm missing part of the strategy.

Every estate has an interaction that boosts loyalty for some other cost. Check out "Hold Diet" for the nobility, and "Grant Monopoly Charters" for the merchants. I forget what the Clergy get.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Gort posted:

Every estate has an interaction that boosts loyalty for some other cost. Check out "Hold Diet" for the nobility, and "Grant Monopoly Charters" for the merchants. I forget what the Clergy get.

So when people talk about farming estates every 10 years or so, they mean bribing the estate to the point that you can ask for something safely? Like if you think giving a 287 gold bribe is worth 100 adm points go for it, but otherwise just ignore em?

I was looking for estate mods to add more or change them up a bit but it seems the only estate mods are ones that remove them from the game because a lot of people hate them. I'd love to figure out how to add custom estates for my custom nation.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

Baronjutter posted:

So when people talk about farming estates every 10 years or so, they mean bribing the estate to the point that you can ask for something safely? Like if you think giving a 287 gold bribe is worth 100 adm points go for it, but otherwise just ignore em?

I'm one of the players who does that, and yeah, that's what it boils down to. I try to keep their lands at the minimum requirements, I use the seek support options with the requests for points since they both have 20 year cooldowns, and from there I'll hit them up occasionally if i get bonus loyalty or if they have their influence lowered by event.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The gold cost one is something different, and actually key to the events that involve 2 of them. Each estate gets an interaction for loyalty and influence at the cost of something trivial like 5 prestige/legitimacy. It takes 20 years to cool down, i.e. exactly as long as it takes for the monarch points to cool down too, so basically, at the very start of the game you wanna hit those interactions for all 3 of them and then keep doing that every 20 years right through to the end. Increase estate influence through other interactions like colonial charters/ advisors too to make sure it's high enough to get 100 monarch points instead of the 50 you get if they have low influence.

The gold cost for loyalty on the other hand is just for clergy, and basically means whenever you get one of those nasty events that involve 2 estates (assuming one of them involves the clergy), pick the side that screws over the clergy and then buy back their loyalty with that.

I pretty much milk my estates for all they're worth, in the early game especially they're incredibly strong. You get free choice of 4 of the most important advisors at half price, 5 free heavies means you can trash nearly any navy at the start, 15 settler growth is enormous at the beginning of the game, the burgher money can be great too. Loyalty ticks up at about 10 every 10 years and settles at 50, so you normally get 1 free -10 loyalty interaction in between demanding monarch points each cycle. Or a bit more if you're willing to grant them land. And don't be afraid of the disasters. Worst case scenario you have to mass revoke some stuff right before it ticks, but as long as you keep their influence under 85, it takes 8 years to fire, so you normally have plenty of time. I've been abusing the estates for the past year and I've only had a disaster actually fire a single time, and that was as a horde which is a bit different.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 21, 2016

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Gort posted:

Clergy get two; you can give them money for a loyalty boost, and there's another one but I forget what it's called (it's a small prestige/legitamacy cost, like the ones other estates have)

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Baronjutter posted:

I was looking for estate mods to add more or change them up a bit but it seems the only estate mods are ones that remove them from the game because a lot of people hate them. I'd love to figure out how to add custom estates for my custom nation.

I haven't played for a while but last time I did this was pretty much my experience. They don't do that much and there isn't a ton of interaction with them. Since they gravitate towards 50 approval or whatever it's called, they can usually be safely ignored aside from handing them a province every now and again. The flip side of that is that they don't often help you out much.

It's nice to be able to give an important center of trade to the burghers for the trade power bonus. Other than that estates are pretty meh.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I got a random event that gave me +1% inflation, how bad is that?

Also do I want to spend military MP on wartime taxes now that I'm just sat on Grenada and waiting for warscore to tick up glacially?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

spectralent posted:

Also do I want to spend military MP on wartime taxes now that I'm just sat on Grenada and waiting for warscore to tick up glacially?

Inflation is only ever a problem for countries that produce a lot of gold and your economy aught to be able to handle ~10% inflation before you really notice any serious impact. Unless you inflation is rising alarmingly fast and over 20% you shouldn't bother wasting admin points reducing it, just keep an eye out for the Master of the Mint admin advisor that gives -.10 Inflation

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

spectralent posted:

It means everything just costs 1% more. No big deal for now, though if it gets high enough you get some bad events. War taxes are generally not worth it and really kind of a desperation play. If your armies are under no threat now though feel free to just lower your army maintenance for more money.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Yeah I'm now just sat on grenada waiting for them to admit they lost. Periodically something blockades a port and then gives up, but the warscore's now ticking firmly up.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Suddenly NONE of my paradox games will start. I just get the launcher window and then after a few seconds it vanishes. Me not gusta.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I take it I want to spend admin to make these places core ASAP, even though that's going to knock back my research progress quite a lot?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Yes, coring things should always be your #1 priority with admin.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Other questions: How do I lower war exhaustion? Is that worth spending doves on?

How do I give a territory to the clergy? Apparently they've fallen under the amount they want.

What's my peacetime casual buildup, like how I'd be making more factories and researching poo poo in HOI4, or building more garrisons/cities in CK2? More buildings? I really don't know where to go with missions and stuff.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

spectralent posted:

Other questions: How do I lower war exhaustion? Is that worth spending doves on?

How do I give a territory to the clergy? Apparently they've fallen under the amount they want.

What's my peacetime casual buildup, like how I'd be making more factories and researching poo poo in HOI4, or building more garrisons/cities in CK2? More buildings? I really don't know where to go with missions and stuff.

War exhaustion will lower naturally when you're at peace, if it's not causing problems don't bother spending the diplo points. Also being defender of the faith or having certain ideas will give you passive war exhaustion decay that happens whether at war or at peace.

You can give territory to an estate either from the province's buildings tab (click on the province, then click the No Estate button). Or you can use the build interface on the upper left of the screen, it has a tab for estates that makes it easier if you have multiple provinces you want to hand out. Only provinces in states, not territories, can be given to estates.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Agnostalgia posted:

War exhaustion will lower naturally when you're at peace, if it's not causing problems don't bother spending the diplo points. Also being defender of the faith or having certain ideas will give you passive war exhaustion decay that happens whether at war or at peace.

I have 0.9 unrest from exhaustion, and the places I annexed are at like 20%, probably because I just killed everyone. What kind of time does that take to go?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So with this new states and overseas system do colonial nations still exist, how does that play out? I have an option to make a new world territory into a state, does that mean I don't have to deal with CN's ??

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

spectralent posted:

I have 0.9 unrest from exhaustion, and the places I annexed are at like 20%, probably because I just killed everyone. What kind of time does that take to go?

It goes down by 0.1 per month, you can check war exhaustion and its current rate of change from one of the tabs in the country header.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

So with this new states and overseas system do colonial nations still exist, how does that play out? I have an option to make a new world territory into a state, does that mean I don't have to deal with CN's ??

E: Never mind I remembered wrong.

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Nov 22, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

AnoHito posted:

War taxes are generally not worth it and really kind of a desperation play.

War taxes are very strong and useful, actually. Especially in merc-heavy comps, it can be difficult to avoid them.

Baronjutter posted:

Yes and no respectively. Colonial nations are basically unchanged. Spending the extra points to turn territorial new world cores into full cores is just a waste of admin; they'll turn into CNs at 5 core provinces, as before.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Baronjutter posted:

does that mean I don't have to deal with CN's ??

It does not.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So making new world provinces into full states/cores is a trap and a trick and shouldn't even be an option since those points will go down the drain once the CN forms?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

More dumb questions:

I sold condotierri to Savoy, but it turns out I keep control of them, so is there any reason to actual go fight and lose the manpower?

I have a decision to, I think, basically begin the inquisition: My southern states turn catholic but get some nasty looking maluses. If I don't I get religious tolerance. I really don't know enough about religions to know what the smart play is here.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

spectralent posted:

More dumb questions:

I sold condotierri to Savoy, but it turns out I keep control of them, so is there any reason to actual go fight and lose the manpower?

I have a decision to, I think, basically begin the inquisition: My southern states turn catholic but get some nasty looking maluses. If I don't I get religious tolerance. I really don't know enough about religions to know what the smart play is here.

If you don't do something with them (fight/siege) after a couple months (usually 5 or 6 in my experience) they'll break off the arrangement and you get a penalty to any attempts to rent your guys out again for uh...some amount of time. Note that foreign nations that rent you condottieri will also keep control of them, that's how the system works.

It's always good to have religious homogeneity if you can swing it, and Castille/Spain has some good ideas for that too. However, the Andalusian provinces are going to revolt and go Sunni if you convert them to Catholic anyway (there's an event for it) so I always go for the tolerant path for a little bit of advantage out of it.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Baronjutter posted:

So making new world provinces into full states/cores is a trap and a trick and shouldn't even be an option since those points will go down the drain once the CN forms?

Well, there is the questionable option to only colonize four provinces in any one colonial area. In all other situations it's useless to make them States, yes.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Tsyni posted:

Well, there is the questionable option to only colonize four provinces in any one colonial area. In all other situations it's useless to make them States, yes.

Can you get the land back if you grant them independence then beat them up and take their stuff? Or does that just make a new colonial nation when you re-core the land you take from them?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

Correct. States are still a new thing and the CN trap will probably get patched sometime soon. But remember that you only form CNs in the New World + Australia, so if you've got the cape of good hope then you could consider it (but you also can't form a state if you've assigned any provinces in the territory to a trade company, IIRC)

However, you can move your capital to the new world and avoid forming colonial nations that way. Then it makes sense to start making states

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I just tried starting a game as Morocco... I couldn't figure out how to raid the coasts of the filthy Christians, how do I order my boats to do it?

Also, holy poo poo what a bad starting situation... lovely ruler, horribly placed forts, poor as gently caress with a bad event right out the gates, and staring at the turbo powered Iberians.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Are naval battle reports bugged? They always show more ships lost than took part in the actual battle.

eg.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

They have to be cores to turn into a CN but dont bother with stating.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wafflecopper posted:

Are naval battle reports bugged? They always show more ships lost than took part in the actual battle.

eg.

the top row does not include ghost ships, you're probably running the Ghost Pirate adviser

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I always figured it included captured ships which made the numbers weird if they changed sides a couple of times, but maybe it is just bugged.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

awesmoe posted:

Can you get the land back if you grant them independence then beat them up and take their stuff? Or does that just make a new colonial nation when you re-core the land you take from them?

I'm honestly not totally certain, but I think you lose your cores when the CN forms, and if you were to grant them independence and reconquer that once you got 5 provinces cored you'd have another CN form.

Finally doing a Great Khan run and just finishing a few things up. An Andalusia in the wild is always a nice treat. Morocco ate Portugal very quickly and then eventually ate Castile with the help of the Ottomans.

Portugal fled to the new world and remains a top 10 world power with their provinces there.

My vassal Ming would be #7 on the great powers list if they weren't a vassal.

edit: trying to run up my current war with the Ottomans to 1mil dead on each side for the achievement, and I just noticed that they have 140,000 mercenaries, lmao. Just routed an army that was 43k/0/0 vs my 24k/12k/24k. The dead pile up.

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 22, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I just tried starting a game as Morocco... I couldn't figure out how to raid the coasts of the filthy Christians, how do I order my boats to do it?

Also, holy poo poo what a bad starting situation... lovely ruler, horribly placed forts, poor as gently caress with a bad event right out the gates, and staring at the turbo powered Iberians.

Park some boats next to the province you want to raid, and click the raid button. If the raid button is greyed out, the tooltip will tell you why.

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

eg.

Looks like a second fleet joined and left mid battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Dikkfor posted:

Looks like a second fleet joined and left mid battle.

Nope, that was Novgorod's entire navy and they had no allies.

Koramei posted:

I always figured it included captured ships which made the numbers weird if they changed sides a couple of times

This makes sense and could well be correct.

• Locked thread