Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Zeorymer is dumb as all hell, but it's mostly entertaining dumb and it's only four episodes, so you might as well. There are worse 80s OVAs to waste an evening with. Just go into it with the expectation that it is an 80s OVA all the way through and you'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Being an 80s OVA, it does have its bits of nudity in it; so do mind your company, be they willing or not. /PSA

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
It would be hilarious if Ritsu's reveal was him going "I HAVE THE FACE OF A WOMAN!" and the non-Zeorymer protagonist cast all going "...No, you don't, even remotely." And then the event continues as written because he's a massive shithead.

I think ideally, Zeorymer should be a unique case of a series inclusion with nobody joining your side, just Masato being a temporary ally on relevant stages until he turns into Masaki and you have to fight him *and* the Hakke Robo, until eventually all that's left is him on the penultimate stage and you have to destroy Zeorymer all by yourselves.

And drat, Erde is just playing everyone, isn't she?

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

GimmickMan posted:

He's like the world's worst Game Master.

What we need for is Old Man Henderson to enter in the fray.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Wounded Land posted:

I think ideally, Zeorymer should be a unique case of a series inclusion with nobody joining your side, just Masato being a temporary ally on relevant stages until he turns into Masaki and you have to fight him *and* the Hakke Robo, until eventually all that's left is him on the penultimate stage and you have to destroy Zeorymer all by yourselves.

You could do it as a secret: do enough flags and the merged personality ends up with nice boy as dominant and he joins, otherwise bad time blow it up. Or the other way round, mess up enough thngs and he won''t join. Maybe that makes it a bit too Shu Shirakawa though.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Wounded Land posted:

It would be hilarious if Ritsu's reveal was him going "I HAVE THE FACE OF A WOMAN!" and the non-Zeorymer protagonist cast all going "...No, you don't, even remotely." And then the event continues as written because he's a massive shithead.

Eeeh, his face can be taken to be that of a woman - it's just drawn in a "sharper" style than anime usually does for women (like any of the other Zeorymer ladies, for instance), something not too uncommon for tough ladies during the 80s.

In truth, it skirts the androgynous line but keeps a toe in the more feminine side. MX's portrait, in my eyes, actually makes his face a bit more masculine than in the show:

A very similar example would be Tekkaman Dead, whose feminine looks is a minor plot point.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
That is not even in the top 20 of feminine-looking dudes I have seen in anime.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

He has eyelashes, one of the very few things in anime that can help distinguish a woman from a very pretty man. But that's hard to see and overall he's...bishie? Like I'd confuse him with a woman the same way I'd confuse other anime characters and no one in-series would point it out beyond maybe a random joke or two.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Keep in mind that Masaki designed them all from appearance to personality, so he not only gave Ritsu an androgynous/womanly face, but also made sure that he'd have a massive complex about it.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Alacron posted:

Keep in mind that Masaki designed them all from appearance to personality, so he not only gave Ritsu an androgynous/womanly face, but also made sure that he'd have a massive complex about it.

I suppose part of the 'joke' is that his face isn't really THAT womanly, but his brain is hard-wired to freak out over it and he knows his brain is wired to freak out over it even though its not really that bad.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

GilliamYaeger posted:

I suppose part of the 'joke' is that his face isn't really THAT womanly, but his brain is hard-wired to freak out over it and he knows his brain is wired to freak out over it even though its not really that bad.

This is frighteningly close to how irl anxiety attacks work! Masaki was actually right about a tic being able to completely ruin somebody's ability to function.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
What I'm getting from all this is that much of Hades Project Zeorymer is the mecha anime equivalent of Funny Games. Just a bad person doing horrible things to people who didn't deserve it (well, in the cases of the Hakkeshu, didn't deserve it at first, and even then Masaki goes way too far), and getting away with it, with the whole thing framed heroically as a cynical indictment of the audience. Given the commentary, I doubt the execution is as good as Funny Games, but it's an interesting concept if I'm reading it right.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Zeorymer's actually way better than people are saying it is, but it's one of those things that's way better in hindsight than in execution.

It's Zeorymer as gently caress. It's wacky and grim and 4 episodes long. The episodes are long enough with little enough happening that I sometimes find myself falling asleep during rewatches. However, the plot is a series of dominoes carefully set up for the cascade of the century. We're at the end of episode 3. Some things are starting to make sense, except literally anything involving Masaki.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

EclecticTastes posted:

What I'm getting from all this is that much of Hades Project Zeorymer is the mecha anime equivalent of Funny Games. Just a bad person doing horrible things to people who didn't deserve it (well, in the cases of the Hakkeshu, didn't deserve it at first, and even then Masaki goes way too far), and getting away with it, with the whole thing framed heroically as a cynical indictment of the audience. Given the commentary, I doubt the execution is as good as Funny Games, but it's an interesting concept if I'm reading it right.
Unlike Haneke's didactic nonsense in both versions of Funny Games, Zeorymer isn't really an indictment of the audience. It's just a straight genre piece IMO, but a cynical one.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

What if this game had Turn A :allears:

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
The Diana Counter would be a little upside by that gigantic red funnel sticking out of one side of the moon, Skull Moon Base hiding on the dark side of it, and Giganos taking up the rest.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Turn A kind of needs a special set of circumstances to not feel completely shoehorned in. It's great but it needs the setting to be built around its inclusion. It's the reason we haven't seen it outside of Alpha Gaiden and the Z series, it clashes too hard with most mecha series, and unless you go full-on post-apocalypse you just simply can't make its big reveal work.

Materant fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Nov 22, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

No i mean so the turn a protag can meet Ritsu

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Not sure how to feel about Zeorymer. Masaki is entertaining enough in a dark way, but all the villains seem really lame and uninteresting. And Masaki hasn't really changed up his shtick since he first showed up. I guess the constant reveals that Masaki is an even worse person than we're led to imagine is pretty fun when contrasted with all the other playable characters in the game, but I kinda think it's getting old.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rigged Death Trap posted:

No i mean so the turn a protag can meet Ritsu

Loran meets Ritsu, they bond over their dislike of how feminine they look and their connection to the Moon.

Then Guin appears, gets a crush on Ritsu, and constantly calls him "Risa" against his will.

We end up in the same situation, only Ritsu now has extreme hatred for two people.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Player Phase!

Still killing these sons of bitches. One Rokuren and two Katonbos left but the Aestivalises will be arriving soon.

Meanwhile, we’ll start working on Albero.

: Take a look, Domon Kasshu! The Medius is evolving and it will, in due time, become something greater than that demon!
: So that thing really is your target, huh?
: Col. Albero…
: I know – I won’t let him stand in my way!
: Let’s do this, then!
: Come on! The Medius will bring your fists to a screeching halt!

: Watch out, Ginga! This guy… he’s way more serious than usual!
: O-OK! Then we’ll just have to get just as serious!
: Heh, bring it on.
: (Show us that power…)

Don’t be afraid to spam Valors. It’s faster than bringing Ryouma and Kazuya all the way over here.

Enemy Phase!

Still working on it.

And here.

Little bit more.

Player Phase!

And they’re here, so let’s wrap it up!

With Valor, a Distortion Attack tears through these guys. Kyoshiro takes it out.

Ryouma and Ryouko take this Katonbo…

And boom.

:thurman:

One more attack on Albero should get him under half.

There we go.

: Urk…! They’re stronger now than during our previous fights.
: AI1’s issued a warning. He’s recommending we let him assume control of the unit.
: I’m not about to let some AI settle my score with Hugo! Just shut up, you two!
: May I remind you that our main objective here is to take their TE Engine?
: I told you to shut up!
: …!

MX Version:

: The Medius isn’t moving…! That’s our chance, Hugo!
: Then do it! Cut the TE limiters!
: A-Alright! Cutting the TE limiters!

MXP Version:

: The Medius isn’t moving…!
: Then I’m taking it out right now! Cutting the TE Limiters!
: Didn’t I tell you we can’t do that?!
: I’m not letting this chance slip through my fingers! This is happening, with or without your approval!
: W-Wait! Stop!
: I’ll wrap this up before we overheat! Limiters, released!
: I-If anything happens, that’s all on you!

Common ground:

: What?! Their energy output is still rising?!
: This is where it ends, Albero Est!

: Urgh! Hrrm…!
: Kch… this is dangerous, Albero. Please, pass control to AI1.
: Don’t be ridiculous, Elde!
: Would you simply let the Medius and AI1 be lost here…?!
: Quiet! This battle isn’t over yet!
: (AI1… my child cannot die here. He’s still so young… And I won’t allow anyone to impede his growth. I will not allow him to die here.)
: (My only option is to exploit that chink in her heart…)

MX Version:

: Hugo, we only have another thirty four seconds of movement! Destroy the Medius right now!
: Alright! Keep our output steady just one more time!

MXP Version:

: Hugo! The engine’s almost overheating!
: I know! Do whatever you can to keep it running!
: I-It’s not that easy, you know!
: Just give me a bit more time and I’ll—

Common ground:

: Stop. I won’t allow you to kill my child.
: Huh? A woman?!
: That voice… Is that really you, Ms. Elde Mitte?
: That’s correct, Aqua Centrum.
: Though I imagine you already had some suspicion that I was aboard the Medius, no?
: That’s…!
: Ignore her, Aqua! Our output’s falling into the yellow! (MXP: Aqua, the engine’s overheating! Work the DFC System and get it under control!)
: O-Oh, no…!
: Hmhmhm… You’re as careless as ever, Aqua. I’ll now demonstrate to you all just how different the Medius is from the Garmraid.
: !
: Transferring unit’s controls to AI1.
: Hrm, my controls?! Elde, what have you done?!
: Lasmunanium, engaged.
: Elde!
: AI1… load all pooled data.

: drat it…! We couldn’t finish it off before it regenerated!
: W-Wait! I’m getting some different readings from the Lasmunanium!

MX Version:

: Just focus on the battle, Aqua! We drop our guard for even a second and it'll be all over!
: But I… I’ve no idea what it’s doing! I can’t make any estimates!
: That’s fine – just keep our output steady!

MXP Version:

: Focus! Weren’t you the one who said that giving it any opening’d be the end for us?!
: But I… I’ve no idea what it’s doing! What are these readings?!
: Forget that! Get our output stable!

Common ground:

: Multiplication and evolution limiters, released.
: What the hell are you up to?!
: The image is set. Incrementum, initiated. Go, AI1… show us all that you’ve learned… Show us your true power!

:aaaaa:

: Wha—?!
: How…!
: The Medius…!
: That was just like…!
: What is this?! What happened to the Medius?!
: Hmhmhm… It shouldn’t come as a surprise. This is the might of the Lasmunanium… or, rather, of my AI1.
: Nonsense! I hadn’t heard about anything like this!
: That is because… you didn’t need to know.
: You…!
: More importantly, you should go and relieve them of their TE Engine right away. With it, the Medius will be able to reach even greater heights.
: Hrm…! You better have some answers for me later!
: Hugo, Aqua! Get away from them!
: C-Calculating evasive maneuvers—!
: There’s no time! I’m going!
: Hmhmhm… Do you honestly think...
: We can’t see right through your moves?!
: !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHvdaAgnp1Q

: Hugo, Aqua!!
: Wh-What’s their status?!
: I-It was a direct hit on the Garmraid’s chest…!
: N-No…!
: Y-You serious?!
: Talk to us, Hugo! Aqua!

: H-Hey! You’re messing with us, right? This ain’t funny!
: Answer, please! Anyone!
: Urk… argh…!
: Aqua!
: Hugo…! Are you… alright…?
: Aqua, is Hugo OK?!
: Ah— Aaah…! N-No!
: What is it, Aqua?!
: The— The front seat… it’s crushed!
: What?!
: Hugo’s seat was… It was…! (MXP: Th-The hatch… the front seat… it’s gone…!)
: No, this can’t be happening…! No…! Hugo! Talk to me!!

: … Rest, Hugo. You don’t have to suffer any more.
: Aah…! AAAAAAAAAH!!
: It was your error that led to his death, Aqua. Your unrest gave the Medius the time it needed to grow… and got him killed.
: Do you understand why I kept my presence aboard the Medius a secret?
: Were you…!
: Yes, it was so I could make you waver at a moment such as this. I had long since taken your fragile heart into account.
: Ms. Mitte…!
: Didn’t I tell you before? No matter the situation, you must always be capable of analyzing the situation rationally and finding the correct course of action.
: I… I…!
: Hmhmhm… This lesson came at a high price. But, since we’re old friends, I’ll give you another chance.
: Huh…?!
: Learn from this experience, become a proper TE Absorber pilot… and come challenge the new Medius and my AI1 again. That is, if you’ve the resolve for it.
: You… You’re letting me go?!
: Yes. Consider your life to be repayment for the Garmraid’s TE Engine.
: Y-You’re installing that into the Medius?!
: Hmhmhm… Until we meet again, Aqua Centrum.

: Hugo! Aqua!!
: And, now, the Lasmunanium, AI1 and TE Engine are together… Let’s leave, Albero. We’ve no further business here.
: …

*The Medius leaves.*

: Harry, how’re those two?!
: The cockpit block was ejected prior to the unit’s explosion… Aqua’s likely safe but Hugo…! (MXP, last phrase changes to: "But after what happened...")
: Don’t say that kinda crap before we’re sure, dumbass!
: I-I’m sorry…!
: Harry, send a rescue team to recover their cockpit immediately. And what’s the situation with the enemy?
: All enemy troops are confirmed destroyed.
: What about the recovery of Hugo and Aqua’s cockpit? (I’m all but sure the game expects you to kill Ritsu last, so it immediately jumps from the end of the OG scene to this – either that or the Nadesico has the fastest workers in the galaxy! :v:)
: It’s already done…
: Understood. Then bring back all troops.

Items earned today were: I-Field Generator, an Image Sensor, and a Cartridge.

And here are the convos we didn’t get:

: Move aside! Don’t get between me and my target!
: We’re not going anywhere, not when we know what you’re after!
: Your goals notwithstanding, we won’t sit by and just let you drag us and Hugo into your mess!
: (Hmhmhm… It seems they don’t see what I am after…)

--

: What’s the matter, Zeorymer? Surely this isn’t all of your might…
: Where are you, Miku?! Way this is going, I…!
: Playtime is over! That power will become part of the Medius!

--

: The Daimolight is certainly a fascinating energy but…
: I know. Anyone who gets in our way will have to be destroyed!
: Urk… They’re going after the Garmraid?!

:siren: The epilogue below is of the PS2 version of the game. Things go VERY differently in the MXP version, so check over HERE for that epilogue. :siren:

Domon immediately goes after Harry, wanting an update on Hugo’s condition. The kid doesn’t know much, other than the fact that his seat and console were all crushed after the Medius’ attack. Seems to Ryouma that we can only pray for his safety now and Kazuya wonders if we'll need to drop him off at an ICU.
Ruri and Vega come in right then, however, saying that isn’t necessary – he’s alive and fine overall. Rain’s giving him some first-aid but that’s it. Allenby and George are quite relieved to hear that, though Chibodee is more impressed with how tough he’s shown himself. Not anyone could come out in one piece after getting crushed inside a cockpit.
Allenby figures he’s got the devil’s luck but Vega says it’s not exactly that…

She doesn’t have time to explain, though, as Harry notes a Federation Carrier requesting to meet up with us. Whose carrier? The Tsentr Project’s and Prof. Zapato himself is aboard. Now that surprises Vega and our people wonder what the Garmraid’s creator could be doing, coming here right now.
Allenby wonders if he knows that the mech was destroyed but, then, that begs the question: we haven’t even reported this to the army, so how did he get that info? Well, Ruri gives Harry the go-ahead for his carrier to contact the Nadesico; just in case, though, we’ll keep on alert.

*Door opens.*

: Um…
: Oh! Aqua…
: How is he doing…?
: Well enough, as you can see. I’ve done all I can regarding first-aid… and he’s no longer unconscious.
: I… I’ll go and grab his medicine. Stay with him for a bit, yes?

*Rain leaves.*

: Hugo…
: Don’t make that face. I’m still alive, obviously.
: I’m so, so sorry… I… I—
: Don’t worry about it. What happened with you… was only natural. I was just as shaken up when I found out that it was the Captain aboard the Medius.
: But, your body is…!
: Don’t worry about that either; I just need to replace some busted parts and that’ll be the end of that. No different from an MS or a Super, really.
: … Sorry. I didn’t mean to lie to any of you… I just didn’t want to be the cause of any needless worry…
: And it’s not like I feel any grief over this body… it was the only way for me to survive… and my just desserts.
: Did that happen because…
: Yeah. I was injured during the Cry Wolves’ battle with the Devil Gundam… and left at death’s door. When I came to, I was in the Tsentr Project’s infirmary.
: I only found out later but, apparently, it was Mitall who took charge of my all-but-dead body. He wanted me to help with his experiment as the TE Absorber’s pilot, so he went and remade my body.
: Why…?! Your body could simply have been healed back to normal with the current technology…!
: The units prior to the Medius were brutal. Anyone meant to pilot those things needed a very resilient body… That’s why I caught Mitall’s eye and he took custody of me from the army’s hospital.
: In his eyes, I’m just another component of the TE Absorber.
: Then, that medicine was…?
: To keep my original body from rejecting the new bits… without it, I can’t even move. And, so, Mitall made a leash out of that medicine and kept me bound to the project.
: I-I’m sorry… I had no idea and said such awful things to you…
: No, it’s fine. However this started, I’m now working for the Tsentr Project of my own free will – not because I’m being coerced, but in order to survive. My dead teammates won’t rest in peace if I fail at that.
: That’s how I feel.
: …Hugo…
: Sorry, guess I rambled a bit.
: The Medius is what’s important now. I had no idea the thing could do that… nothing of the sort was written in the project’s specs.
: It’s… likely that Ms. Mitte made several modifications to the original model.
: And who is she?
: A researcher of combat-oriented artificial intelligence… that is to say, she makes AIs and OSs for drones.
: She works for the military?
: Yes, though she wasn’t doing anything with the Tsentr Project… I’d heard rumors that she’d joined some other confidential project.
: She was my teacher and I… I idolized her. She was a gifted scientist, self-reliant, she always held onto her ideals…
: I ran away from home because I couldn’t stand someone else deciding how I would live my life, so she was everything I wanted to be… I wanted to live as she did, grow into a woman like her…
: But now… she stole the Medius and is my enemy…
: And she tried to kill you…and me..!
: Aqua…
: Wh-Why… why would she do anything like this…? Why did she attack me…?! Why do I have to fight her…?!
: What am I supposed to do now…?!
: I-I don’t know… there’s so much going on… I’ve no idea what I should do… I…!
: … There’s only one thing I can say… if you don’t fight, you’ll die.
: She and Albero stole the Medius, you know that.
: They were essentially testing us until now but, today, they were really trying to kill us.
: They don’t care to play nice with us and if we don’t fight back, it’ll be the end.
: B-But, I! I can’t fight my teacher… I just can’t!
: ... I’ve been fighting mine.
: I’ve been fighting Albero Est because I want to survive.
: I know how you feel about Elde Mitte. But we don’t know how she feels about you.
: And the fact is she weaponized those feelings against you. If you don’t break your ties with her, you’ll die.
: Still, I… I don’t want to break those ties…
: Would you rather die, then?
: No. Of course I don’t… I just… I want to talk to her one more time…
: And if that doesn’t work, then…
: …Fine.
: Hugo…
: Just be prepared for the worst, when that time comes.
: And, regardless, that transformed Medius is still too dangerous to be left alone… if it keeps going, it might well end up with the same powers as the Devil Gundam. We have to stop that, no matter what.
: Right. If anything, the Medius needs to be destroyed.
: That’s good enough for me, then.
: Sorry, Hugo.
: Forget about it. The other problem now is…
: Prof. Zapato?
: Hm. Albero, Elde, the Medius… his hand has got to be behind all this. And now I’m starting to question what the actual purpose of his project is…

Mitall walks in right then, quipping at what nasty things he’s saying. When Aqua says, he says he got a report about what happened and, thus, came over with stuff for us: replacement parts for Hugo… and the Model #9 TE Absorber: the new Garmraid (#8 if you’re with the Cerberus).
As he hands over the specs about the unit, Aqua notes that the thing can actually transform… and it comes with a bird and wolf bot? Machine Animaleets, meant to support the mech. The wolf is called Rouga and the bird is Hiou and by rearranging the way those are attached, the Garmraid can switch between two modes.

Form G specializes in close-range, hand-to-hand combat and Hugo will be the pilot. Aqua asks if he’s implying that the pilot changes with the mode and, indeed, he is. She will no longer be limited to being a subpilot, taking control of the long-range Form S. What about her job of keeping the TE Engine’s output stabilized, then?
Well, the thing also has an upgraded TE Engine; while Mitall won’t call that a perfect model, it’s output and stability are far superior to the original Garmraid. The engine should be a lot less finicky now, so she’ll be able to actually fight.
As for the mech’s name, Mitall will leave that up to us.

FYI: the new Cerberus doesn’t get a bird and wolf, instead switching forms between the “Ignite Parts”.

The game now lets you choose the upgrades’ names, the default being Cerberus Ignite and Garmraid Blaze. We’ll be going with that.

Whatever name you choose is fine with Mitall and he says the mech’s already set up and good to go. After he’s finished with Hugo’s “repairs” (Aqua doesn’t like hearing that), he wants us to go and get familiarized with the unit.
Before that, though, Hugo has a question for him: Mitall’s arrival here comes with far too perfect a timing, to say nothing of the powers displayed by the Medius. What is he keeping from them? Furthermore, Aqua all but accuses him of being in league with Elde in this.
Mitall says their doubts are understandable but professes that he, too, was taken aback by what happened to the Medius: he’d set limiters on the Lasmunanium and it shouldn’t have been capable of displaying such abilities.

Hugo asks if we’re supposed to believe that, and Mitall says that we’ve no choice, this is for the sake of our future battles too. Hugo and Aqua frown but stay mum, and Mitall reiterates that our orders are to destroy the Medius. They must stop that thing post-haste.
Fine, Hugo confirms and accepts the new bot. All that’s left now is to get the repairs on his body done and Mitall promises (with that grin) that, after it’s done, he’ll even be able to move around without his meds.

Back in Tekkoryu Castle, Yura isn’t happy. Why the hell did Lurahn keep quiet when he found out that Miku wasn’t human?! The old man can only apologize but that’s not worth much after they even lost Ritsu.
Well, that does it for Yura – no more waiting around. He proclaims the immediate start of the final phase of the Hades Project, the entire planet transformed into the Underworld. Only those chosen by the Tekkoryu will survive and she’ll lead them as Hades!
She orders Saiga, Rockfell and Gisou to lay waste to Japan: that country will be the starting point of the Project. After they salute and head out, Lurahn meekly asks if this is truly what Yura desires. He doesn’t think it is.

Yura yells at him to stop that nonsense – she was brought into this world precisely for the Hades Project! Lurahn watches on as Yura momentarily reels back before shooing him away.
After he leaves, she stands ill at ease: “What happened…? The destruction of this world is what I desire… yet, when I proclaimed it, my heart ached… as though it is not truly me who desires it. Why? Oh, Taiha… Could you make sense of this…?”

Oki’s trying to come to grips with the fact that he’s talking to Masaki Kihara but what Miku wants to know is what happened to Masato. Masaki figures a puppet wouldn’t understand even if he explained but the gist is that he is Masaki, within Masato. Rather, no, Masato isn’t even here anymore.
Masaki built the Zeorymer so that he, himself, could claim the throne of Hades but he anticipated the possibility that he could lose his life along the way.
Thus, he created a clone of himself and registered that zygote as the Zeorymer’s pilot. And as that clone was made, he also left a hidden program coded into his DNA: when the clone found his way to the Zeorymer’s cockpit, his original personality would be recovered.
And as his name tag changes, he proclaims: “I am Masaki Kihara.”

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 14, 2017

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

For what it's worth, I can now understand the changes 2nd OGs made to this plotline after this.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Materant posted:

For what it's worth, I can now understand the changes 2nd OGs made to this plotline after this.

They made that change in the PSP first, which is why I wanted to use it - that's the "canon" one. And I do prefer it.

But with those changes spanning over so many missions, my hands were tied. :(

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Materant posted:

Brunom1 posted:

They made that change in the PSP first, which is why I wanted to use it - that's the "canon" one. And I do prefer it.

But with those changes spanning over so many missions, my hands were tied. :(

Now I'm curious. Can someone explain this to me?

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

One of Great Sins of 80-s Anime is 6-ep OVA that end 4 episodes in. Like Zeorymer. Or Obari's Dangaizer 3. For example.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

GilliamYaeger posted:

Now I'm curious. Can someone explain this to me?

I didn't read too much of the script since I'm saving it for later but the gist of it is:

The Garmraid/Cerberus front seat gets actively torn off and Hugo is tagged MIA (Ruri doesn't want to pronounce him KIA). Aqua is forced to pull herself together (with the help of our folks), gets reassigned to a Dragoon and flies solo for a mission and half before Hugo returns with the upgraded mech. He'd been rescued by Mitall and patched up back at the Tsentr Project HQ.

It just flows better... even if the upgrade's debut scene is a bullshit mission, pitting Aqua/Hugo, plus the Dragonars, against all the Hokushin mooks plus big Successor units. With MXP's inflated HP. :argh:

There's some shifts in the overall dynamic between the originals, too, which is why the Portable missions need to be played in their proper context.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 22, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

You didnt call it Garmraid DONGS.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

This is a serious LP. :colbert:

Now, excuse me while I continue to make a powerhouse out of Boss.

Oh, and the game doesn't allow english characters!

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 22, 2016

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Besides, you know we've got to save DONGS for the SRW Alpha 3 LP.

DO-ON-GU, DO-ON-GU, DO-ON-GU NARASE!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I will say, as much as the overarching plot kind of bores me in this game compared to Z, it is kind of neat how they have the Devil Gundam hanging over everything to the extent that the original bad guys are actually just aspiring to match it.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

I didn't read too much of the script since I'm saving it for later but the gist of it is:

The Garmraid/Cerberus front seat gets actively torn off and Hugo is tagged MIA (Ruri doesn't want to pronounce him KIA). Aqua is forced to pull herself together (with the help of our folks), gets reassigned to a Dragoon and flies solo for a mission and half before Hugo returns with the upgraded mech. He'd been rescued by Mitall and patched up back at the Tsentr Project HQ.
And then OG adds onto these changes. For one, Kai Kitamura knows about Hugo's medical condition and helps be someone Hugo can be open with about his situation. Then, (spoilers for 2nd OGs)the Medius Locus upgrade sequence also has Hugo be absorbed by AI1 in addition to totaling the mech. Aqua then pilots the Tsentr mech that wasn't destroyed for a few stages, which could be either the Cerberus or Garmraid depending on player choice. Then, the Blaze and Ignite show up in a later stage as AI-controlled enemies as part of Mitall's plan to get rid of the Steel Dragons since he's in with the Gaia Sabers and their hijinks. The Steel Dragons defeat the Blaze and Ignite, as well as rescue Hugo thanks to Aqua's efforts. All of this leads into more changes with MX adaptation that we'll get to in time.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Just recorded the next mission and only now did I notice that NERV did give the EVA-01 its new weapon - the Magoroku E-Sword - after the Dolem's shenanigans were over.

For some reason, I didn't see it during the Tekkoryu's attack in Neo Tokyo 3... even though it stands out, as it's Shinji's strongest attack outside the Unison Kick.

That said, they could have made it clearer since nothing was mentioned about the thing having actually been equipped. The way things were said, I was expecting it to be added later! :argh:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Brunom1 posted:

Magoroku E-Sword

Until just now, I thought it was supposed to be "Maglock E-Sword", like an energy sword that deploys using a magnetic lock, but today I learned it's the Magoroku Exterminate Sword, with "Magoroku" just being a name (roughly translating to "sixth grandson", if it uses the kanji I think it does), so apparently that's the guy who designed it in-universe or possibly a reference to a historical samurai with that name. I mean, it was never used in the show, so it might still be Maglock due to katakana use, but the "E" meaning "Exterminate" is news to me. Either way, these LPs end up being pretty informative regarding how some of these attacks are supposed to be read.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

EclecticTastes posted:

Until just now, I thought it was supposed to be "Maglock E-Sword", like an energy sword that deploys using a magnetic lock, but today I learned it's the Magoroku Exterminate Sword, with "Magoroku" just being a name (roughly translating to "sixth grandson", if it uses the kanji I think it does), so apparently that's the guy who designed it in-universe or possibly a reference to a historical samurai with that name. I mean, it was never used in the show, so it might still be Maglock due to katakana use, but the "E" meaning "Exterminate" is news to me. Either way, these LPs end up being pretty informative regarding how some of these attacks are supposed to be read.

I've seen it used as Maglock, yes, but I reckon that'd be written as マグロック (Magurokku). This is written マゴロク (Magoroku) which, from what the JP wiki suggests, is referencing a famous sword-smith of the late muromachi period: Magoroku Kanemoto.

His blades were renowned as being pretty much the poo poo - some of the best, and sharpest, ever made.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Brunom1 posted:

I've seen it used as Maglock, yes, but I reckon that'd be written as マグロック (Magurokku). This is written マゴロク (Magoroku) which, from what the JP wiki suggests, is referencing a famous sword-smith of the late muromachi period: Magoroku Kanemoto.

His blades were renowned as being pretty much the poo poo - some of the best, and sharpest, ever made.

I should start checking JP Wikipedia sometimes, the only hit I got on the name was some minor samurai from the Sengoku period.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So do Hugo and Aqua never share their suspicions about this guy who they're apparently freely letting wander around the carrier?

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Glazius posted:

So do Hugo and Aqua never share their suspicions about this guy who they're apparently freely letting wander around the carrier?

Our team seems aware that Mitall's not to be trusted, what with Ruri having everyone keep on alert while the guy's walking around.

Can't do much against him without hard proof, though, especially since the Tsentr Project is in with SEELE (the "committee" Mitall and Elde mention once in a while).

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

:siren: This update is for the PS2 version of this stage. In MXP, it was split in two which you can find HERE (29), HERE (30, part 1) and HERE (30, part 2). :siren:

After these missions and done, we'll be back in common ground until further notice.

: It appears the Tekkoryu have entered the final stage of their plan.
: That’s far too soon.
: Hm, now was not the time for it. Not yet.
: That man is likely at fault for this…
: The deterrent may not be capable of impeding what comes next. Worst case scenario, even we will be affected.
: They’re a necessary force for the future, though… we cannot afford to lose them now.
: … We are left with no choice but to revise some of the schedule, then.
: Do you mean we’ll let him do as he pleases?
: That man is familiar with some of the project. Were he to join Bähbem’s side, it’d be problematic.
: That is not an issue. His wish is to open the doors to the Underworld by his own hands… It is far too different from what Bähbem desires.
: So, rather, you’re implying he is more similar to us?
: Indeed. And, regardless, his wish will be fulfilled… Even if he was against, it still would happen.

Oki’s just gotten a call about three Hakke Robos headed towards Japan, which means the Omzack of Thunder has finally been completed; the one said to have power comparable to the Zeorymer’s. It seems the Haudragon intend to challenge us to one final battle with this.
One thing to note, however: the Federation’s just rescinded the Zeorymer’s transfer to the ranks of the Magnate Ten. The bot will once again be operating under Oki’s command. The plan right now is for the Magnate Ten to coordinate with the Federation to intercept the Hakke Robos, while the Zeorymer goes and destroys the Haudragon’s stronghold. Miku confirms and, slowly, sets out to inform… him.
Inwardly, Oki realizes that the brass is planning on having Last Guardian take the fall for this.

: Please… launch the Zeorymer.
: Launch and do what, exactly?
: …Urk… this battle is pointless…
: Why? Didn’t you steal the Zeorymer in order to stop the Haudragon whenever they started their rampage?
: Hah! Do you take me as someone so altruistic? Someone like those Magnate Ten, willing to fight even at the risk of life and limb?
: My theft of the Zeorymer was insurance, pure and simple.
: Insurance…?
: Indeed. To make sure that I’d take the throne of Hades…!
: Hmph… your body certainly doesn’t strike me as being made of growing memory silicon. And your AI is quite impressive, so dramatic and clever…
: But you’re still just a puppet.
: And you’re the one who made it all, weren’t you?!
: Correct. Even back then, I expected to be assassinated whether I stayed with the Haudragon or fled.
: They wanted to take the Zeorymer and the Dimensional Coupling System from me, you see. All so they could salvage the “God” that lies in the world beyond the doors.
: (“God”… beyond the doors?)
: So I went and took several steps to secure my return from the dead. So many pieces of trash were grown… yourself included.
: Stop that!

*Slap!*

: Aah! Hrm…
: I destroyed the Haudragon’s stronghold when I escaped, but I expected them to eventually return and resume the Hades Project.
: And in both the Haudragon and Japan, where I fled to, I left some of my own blood. Hmhmhmhm…
: Haudragon and Federation… whichever one is victorious, a clone of mine will remain. Do you understand now why I won't sortie?
: I've no problem with ascending the throne of Hades after the Hakkeshu have plowed the land clean; after the old men who tried to use me, the people of the Black Moon… after every single person has been driven into the Underworld!
: Hmhmhm… and even if I was beaten by the Hakkeshu, that would mean that my other self would ascend the throne of Hades…!
: What a wonderful game this is, no? A battle of me against me, with the world at stake!
: You mean the clone you left with the Haudragon… ?!
: But that’s nothing a… puppet like you… needs to concern yourself with…!
: Urgh?! Kch…rrgh…!
: Masa… to…?
: Don’t touch me!
: ?!
: Curses… my head…!

*Door opens.

: Masato… rather, Masaki Kihara.
: What is it, Oki…?
: I am here to once again request your cooperation in the name of the Japanese government…

*:tfrxmas:*

: Launch the Zeorymer.
: … And if I say “no”?
: Then I’d be forced to apply some mind control, much as I’d rather not.
: … Would you kill me again, Oki?
: Fifteen years ago, I’d just escaped from the Haudragon and you gunned me down – after taking the Zeorymer and the zygote I’d registered as the pilot, of course.
: Exactly as I knew you would.
: You found Miku in the Zeorymer’s cockpit and assigned some foster parents to raise my zygote. Though you never realized that what you sought, the core of the Zeorymer – the Dimensional Coupling System – was Miku herself.
: And, after all that, you formed Last Guardian. Were you hoping to eventually take the Zeorymer for yourself and fulfill your own agenda? How childish. In your quest to control the Zeorymer, you resurrected the man you killed in order to do just that.
: Hm…hmhmhm… Very well done, indeed, Oki.
: What are you going to do, Kihara…?
: I've changed my mind... I’ll destroy those Haudragon in order to secure the throne of ruler of the Underworld…!

Mission 29 – Hades, Sortie at Dawn

Saiga’s making a beeline for Mount Fuji, after the Zeorymer, and Gisou wants to know what he’s playing at. He jokingly asks if the big guy’s scared of the bot, but still explains his reasoning: the Zeorymer has its Dimensional Coupling System back after the last battle but despite the fact that the Tekkoryu are acting, it’s nowhere to be seen.
Thus, Saiga thinks something must be up or, maybe, the bot could be getting an upgrade as they speak. In that case, isn’t it best to get rid of it before that happens? Besides, they can lay waste to Japan at any time.

Gisou isn’t taking it, remembering that the Empress told them not to mess with the Zeorymer anymore. Will Saiga act against that? Rockfell, however, concedes that there's logic to Saiga's words: while the Zeorymer still exists, there is no victory for them. So she also figures the better choice is to head to Mount Fuji and close the book on this.
Gisou grunts at her agreeing with Saiga but will go where she will. Shouldn’t they relay this to the Empress, though? Nah, let’s not give her cause to be mad at those who’ll defeat Heaven. It’s obvious to Gisou that Saiga’s up to something… but he’s got more pressing matters to worry about.

Us! As Bright orders everyone to stop the Hakkeshu’s assault on Japan, Hugo tells Aqua that his body’s already doing fine. More important is that this is the Garmraid Blaze’s first battle and he tells Aqua not to lower her guard just because she needn’t focus so much on managing their output.
Aqua huffs that she’s well aware – she is a proper pilot now, after all. If the situation calls for long-range combat, she’s ready to tag in.
Gisou knew his group would need to dispatch us sooner or later and leads the charge with Rockfell… Saiga, however, tells them to wait. The Zeorymer seems to be elsewhere – it’s possible the thing is headed straight for Tekkoryu Castle. What, so he wants to just wait and see? Sounds to Gisou like he’s the one who’s scared – Saiga can sit there but he’s going!
Rockfell watches on as Saiga laughs inwardly: “Heheheh… good, Gisou. That’s the way.”

The Dendoh’s an event deployment and losing it means a game over, so keep an eye out. The Hakkeshu are waaaaaaaay the gently caress back, so it’ll be a while before we reach them.

Everyone sets onward.

Enemy Phase!

Gisou starts moving… but no one else does.

Why isn’t Rockfell joining on his offensive? She doesn’t answer, further bothering Gisou.
Everything’s coming up Saiga and now he just needs to wait for the Zeorymer to arrive – if it doesn’t, Gisou will make for a good distraction to our people while he heads for Mount Fuji.

Player Phase!

Torres pings something on approach and in comes… something. Its name tag says it’s called Ragou and Ginga and Hokuto figure it’s some Gulfer RoBeast.
Whatever the thing is, the mere sight of it sends our Data Weapons berserk: the Unicorn, Leo and Dragon all rush out the Gear Commanders to attack it! Maria can sense the hostility they’re emanating, so there’s clearly something between Ragou and them.
Saiga has no idea what’s going on but having more stuff attacking the Magnate Ten only helps him. Now to wait some more to see if the Zeorymer will come.

Mission Objective: Destroy all enemies
Mission Failure: Dendoh, any of the Data Weapons or any mothership destroyed.
OK, so this is a bit more dangerous. The Data Weapons aren’t particularly hardy and they’ll actively jump into the fray, so you’ll want to keep a very close eye on them.
Ragou will only defend on our turn and, on his, he seems to prioritize the Dendoh. Have Hokuto’s Iron Wall at the ready.

Ragou
Pilot Skills:
  • Double Movement
Mech Features:
  • 10% HP Regen
  • Debuff Immunity

Ragou’s a pretty nasty beast: for one, it’s level 41 which places it some 8-16-ish levels above our folks. Those extra levels give it quite a lot of strong stats all around (except for Range, which it doesn’t use) so it can hit rather hard. Double movement, of course, will multiply your pain. S ranks in air and space give it a nice boost to evasion, too.
That HP regen and debuff immunity, plus the fact that it always defends, means you’ll need to throw everything and the kitchen sink to kill it in decently speedy fashion.

We’ll just start with a little bit.

: What’s wrong, Fuunsaiki?!
: Fuunsaiki’s afraid… this beast is that strong?!

Strong and hardy.

Time for the Garmraid Blaze’s first attack!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iw6boD5F18
Its rocket punch has got an even bigger bite now! :black101:

And, of course, the upgrades come with new BGMs:

This is the Garmraid’s wonderfully engrish title.

And this is the Cerberus Ignite’s.

Some people don’t like the Blaze’s theme but I never had a problem with it – it feels appropriately Super Robot. Mind, I would be lying if I said I didn’t think the Cerberus’ is the better BGM. Not by much, in my opinion, but it is what it is.
On the flip side, the Garmraid Blaze is still dozens of times cooler then the Cerberus Ignite so it balances out… I’ll post a video of its attacks later, after we’ve seen the Blaze’s tricks.

And do note that if you miss Burning Red and want to use it again, you just need to enter the option menu and set the BGM selection to check the Pilot’s theme instead of the Unit’s. Hugo’s theme is still his default one, so switching that selector will bring it back.

And I forgot to take pictures of the status screen for the new bots but, screw it, we’ll take a quick look anyway:

The Garmraid’s finally a whole lot bulkier than it was before. On top of the overall stat boost, both it and the Cerberus gain a new TE Sphere barrier, which activates at 120 morale and blocks 1500 damage from all attacks. That’s a lot of mitigation for a Super Robot.
Hugo’s G form is pretty much a direct upgrade to the original Garmraid, adding some much needed range to its repertoire: 1-5 is much more manageable, though said attacks do chug a decent amount of EN. With that new barrier, you can be a lot more liberal when it comes to throwing him right into the fray.
Finally, the Blaze is also powerful as gently caress: the only attack we have right now that’s slightly stronger than Hugo’s Execution Raid is Double God Finger. Aqua’s Trinity Dead End already beats Triple Mazinger Blade and Double Mega Launcher.

:dance: Aqua also gets her own theme now and it’s pretty bumpin’! :dance:

The Garmraid’s S form is the exact opposite, focusing on range but also being considerably hardier due the Rouga being used as a shield. And you know how the Shield + Barrier combo can get ridiculous. Aqua’s weapons are a wee bit weaker than Hugo’s but they make up for it with some of the best reach in the game (she’ll REALLY want Hit & Away, mind, because only the Fang Knuckle is post-movement).
One unfortunate thing, however, is that only a single weapon of the Garmraid S is actually tagged as being ranged and not melee-ranged (her third best). This is a problem because, if you remember what I said back at the start of this, melee-ranged attacks count as melee when considering skills like Infight and Gunfight… which means her natural Gunfight is essentially useless outside of that one attack.
If it worked properly, she’d likely outdamage Hugo with enough skill levels. :eng99:

The respective Cerberus Ignite forms follow the same pattern, which is why I argued that buying Hugo Hit & Away at the start could be a bit wasteful: his upgrade is pretty much all about post-movement attacks.
Both Cerberus forms tie with our top tier Gundams as some of the dodgiest units around, though they, of course, are severely weaker than the Garmraid. In fact, the ZZ’s Full Power High Mega Cannon is stronger than either version, but the Cerberus is still a very reliable Real. Its attacks ain’t too expensive, either.

Back to work now.

: This guy’s a whole lot different from the other RoBeasts!
: We’ll be in trouble if we let this drag on, Ginga! Let’s win this in a hurry!
: Alright, you got it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soV7m98ZrSw
Ragou’s lucky Ginga doesn’t have Fury yet.

But let’s not waste any more resources on this thing. Everyone else just moves closer.

Enemy Phase!

In come more Gulfer, and Ginga wonders if they’re here to pick up Ragou. Regardless, we’ll just get rid of them as well.
Their appearance makes things a bit more troublesome in Saiga’s eyes but they’ll certainly serve to keep our group pinned.

Here comes Ragou, wasting both its attacks against an Iron Wall’d Dendoh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8FHQ3NnQH4

The entirety of the Faitas and Orbiton groups decided to gang up on Domon, losing some 70-80% of their HP in exchange.

Ohoho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG8Mk35ItTM
Even bigger chainsaws! :black101:

The basic Gulfers decided to go after the Unicorn Drill.

I don’t like anything about this. First, the Unicorn takes some not insignificant damage from each attack and, two, it oneshots enemies that could’ve been money and exp.

Player Phase!

: (I suppose there’s no point in waiting here anymore – time to set out for Mount Fuji…)
: Going somewhere, Saiga?
: Mount Fuji, you know that.
: You’ll leave us behind and go by yourself? What in blazes are you up to?
: Hmph. I’ve no reason to—
: Hold on, you two!

: Hmhmhmhm…
: The Zeorymer!
: What is this…?! Wasn’t it supposed to have gone after the Haudragon’s HQ?
: More important than that is which Masato is at its controls…!
: Hahahah… I have been waiting for you, Zeorymer.
: So, the last of the Hakkeshu have banded together… but it is still impossible for you to defeat Heaven.
: Silence, Masato Akitsu! You’ll die here and now!

: Saiga… what are you doing?!
: Hmhmhm… hahahah…
: Kch…urgh…! What… is…?!
: Masato Akitsu… I have a proposal for you.
: What…?
: The Omzack’s Proton Thunder is the only force that can oppose the Zeorymer…
: Hrrmm… And…?
: And, if one looks at that from a different angle, it means that nothing in this world could stop us if the two of us worked together…!
: Saiga!!

*Gisou runs back, towards Saiga.*

: You’re scheming to betray the Empress, you snake?!
: What of it? Your Mountain and its basic missiles is but a mere pebble face the Omzack. Surely you can see that.
: What’s up with them…?
: A split between them, maybe?
: Uck…urgh…!
: Very well… I’ll take this as an opportunity to show how committed I am, Masato Akitsu!

: Saiga!

: Hrm! Is that?!
: It is the Burrston of the Mountain’s ace in the hole: nuclear weapons that will, with a mere shot, reduce this entire region to cinders!
: What will you do now, Saiga? I will not hesitate to face death in order to crush your ambitions!
: To Hell with you, Gisou! Proton Thunder!
: SHOOT!!

*Rockfell moves after Gisou.*

: Gisou, stop! If you’d attack Saiga, then you’ll have to go through me!
: He is the one you love? That man?! He’s simply using you!
: That matters not…! (Is there a hidden clause that says the women Reccoa’s actress voices always make terrible choices in men?)
: Rockfell… I…!
: (Kch… grraaargh… uurk…!)
: Hahahahaha! Cat got your tongue, Gisou?
: (Urgh… kch… argh…!!)
: I love you too, Rockfell. And I’ll say it as many times as necessary! I love you. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!
: ENOOOUGH! ENOUGH! ENOOOOOUGH!!
: “Love”…?! Are you kidding me?! The lot of you are genetically engineered clones, born of the same embryo! You’re not even brothers and sisters – you’re the same person!
: And I am your God, your Creator… Hades!
: … And what difference does that make? Even if you were the one who created us… that does not change the life I’ve led.
: And in the emptiness of my life, I met Saiga, admired him as a warrior and eventually loved him! All of it of my own free will!

: And I will not allow you to deny that love!
: All of that was just your programming at work…!

Well, we’re in a bit of a pickle here. The three Hakkeshu are now pissed at their evil creator and our team’s still far away.

Or not, as Masaki has outright given himself boss stats to further drive the point that he’s the biggest bad guy here.
Though his morale is still baseline compared to the others’, he can hold the line just fine.

Let’s go build some morale before we pile on Ragou.

We’ve plenty of mooks ripe for killing.

Ayato takes a bonus to Prevail along the way.

I didn’t realize yet that Shinji had been equipped with the Magoroku E-Sword after he was rescued from the Dolem. Else I would’ve had him take two kills to build morale…

I need to pay more attention!

Still, he learns Valor… at a lower level than all the Toei pilots! The hell? :stare:

Oh, and here’s Aqua’s range. Impressive, no?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVttSjQ_Pbc
Attagirl.

Asuka, Light, Kaine and Judau wrap up the remaining mooks.

Next turn, we go on.

Enemy Phase!

The Data Weapons are already piling on Ragou.

Even defending, the thing’s surprisingly dodgy thanks to those terrain ratings. I reckon the reason it always defends is that, otherwise, it would likely oneshot any eager Data Weapon that tried to be clever.

Masaki’s getting to work and the Hakkeshu, of course, attack him right back.

: Damned fool…! You still fail to grasp your situation!
: Silence! Whoever you actually are, I will not allow my heart to be denied!

: You filth! There is absolutely no forgiveness for how you toyed with us!
: “Forgiveness”? You’re quite impudent for someone standing before his own Creator!

: Even if you did create us, all that will be water under a bridge once you’re dead!
: You dare bare your fangs at your Creator? See now the size of your idiocy, Hakke!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zYk5wt6EiI
George’s evil cousin.

And Ragou’s still bashing its head against Dendoh.

Player Phase!

Now we go. Pop Valor and maximize your support attacks to get it down under 30% quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO3LyL9Ax-M
And we gave Hugo a drill because why not? :black101:

Here we go.

: Huh?! It’s—!
: !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDvPH2eJNnY

: L-Leo!
: Unicorn!
: ?!?!?!?!?!
: !?!?!?!?!
: What’s wrong, Leo?!
: Oh, no… was that…?!

*Ragou flies away.*

: It ran…?!
: Cpt. Hoshino, please recover the Unicorn Drill and Leo Circle! But don’t let Omoikane—
: Access them in any way, yes?
: Right!
: Understood. Harry, once the Unicorn and Leo have been recovered, have them undergo a thorough scan and prepare an emergency vaccine.
: Roger!

*The two Data Weapons are pulled back.*

: Wh-what happened?!
: I’ll explain later – focus on doing something about the remaining enemies!

Now for the Hakkeshu. With Fuunsaiki giving him a lift, Domon can barely make it to Rockfell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSanVAKs4mY
And, hey, Masaki is cooperative enough to support us even as an NPC… or maybe he just wants to be the one to kill.
Bringing either of the Hakkes past a certain point (thought it was 30% but it obviously isn’t)…

: Kch… rrgh…! It’s time for me to… finish this… Hakkes!

: Saiga… I—

: Ro-Rockfell…!
: Now stop… resisting! You’ll all… share her miserable fate!!
: Curse you… Masaki…!
: You’ll pay for this, Zeorymer!!
: Haah… haah… you dare defy… your Creator…?!
: HAAAAAAAH!!
: You… You!!

*Saiga and Gisou both move in after the Zeorymer*

: U-urgh…hrrmm!!
: GWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!

: Wh-What just happened!?
: Urk…aah…
: Masato… Masato…!
: I… I…!
: Masato… it’s really you…?!
: No… I’m…!

*The Zeorymer retreats*

: … Torres, what’s the status on the enemy?
: The Gulfer and Haudragon are gone… as is the Zeorymer.
: I see.
: Cpt. Bright, the Data Weapons are in poor condition. We should return to GEAR HQ with haste.
: Hm, alright.

I’d planned on showing off Rockfell and Gisou’s signature moves but, since they’re MAPWs, the AI won’t use them until it can target at least two units (which is why Domon was sent there). That idea went out the window when the plot kicked in sooner than expected, though.
Still, there are videos showcasing the stuff. The Hakke Robos are in order of appearance.

Notable goodies today: a Wolf’s Crest (starting morale +10), Starlight Shrine Talisman (debuff immunity) and a Repair Kit.

Back at the Spiral Castle, the Gulfer have just finished busting their asses to get Ragou leashed. They had to sacrifice a few RoBeasts to be used as bait for the thing, though Giga Absolute asks the Castle if he could put a call in with the Emperor and ask why he sent Ragou to Earth.
No, the Castle isn’t crazy to question the Emperor’s decisions… much less when the big man phones in to ask how Ragou’s doing. It’s… very energetic, the Castle stammers. The Emperor figures it’s because it hasn’t been outside for a while; just leave the thing to acclimate for now as it’ll be very useful against the Dendoh.
Giga Gurumei meekly asks when they can send it back – they haven’t a lot of food available for the beastie. The Emperor disagrees, figuring there are plenty of useless goons that can serve quite nicely... including three incompetent commanders who’ve yet to produce any results.

As the Gigas collectively gulp, Absolute lets out a dry laugh at the Emperor’s “joke”… though whether it remains a joke or not is up to them. Finally, the Emperor tells them not to let his pet get hurt and signs off.
The Castle ponders what happened in the previous battle, witnessing the power the Emperor himself had sealed within Ragou – something never meant to be unleashed. Yet, the creature itself went and broke that seal anyway and said power now courses through its fangs. What is it, then? And what will happen to the Data Weapons? The Castle seems worried…

: Laser scan initiated!
: Send the data to the simulation room as soon as it’s ready!
: Beginning the vaccine program! Hurry, please!
: It’s not working! We’re not going to make it!
: Maybe not but we still need to try!
: Eris, what’s—
: Give me your Gear Commands – now!
: O-OK…
: Send the vaccine program through blocks 24 to 1835, please!
: Roger!
: Eris… what’s going on? Why are they like that?
: Just shut up for a bit, OK?!
: Eris…
: What… what the hell is happening to the Leo and Unicorn…?!

: (The Hakkeshu are all gone… then I’ve only one final recourse left. With this, the world will…!)

: … You will not press that button.
: ! Who…?!
: You are a kind soul… You do not truly desire the world’s destruction.
: What… What is it that you know, Lurahn?!
: It’s Kihara’s ghost that’s pushing you onward…!
: You are the same as the boy, Masato Akitsu… a clone built from Masaki Kihara’s cells… a proxy of his will…
: Wh-What…?! I’m his…?!
: Then, why, Lurahn?! If you knew that… why did you let me live this long?!
: Because… I wanted to watch as Masaki's rebirth fell to ruin…
: But… you were always so devoted to me…! Why?
: Hah… hahahah…

: You are… truly beautiful…

*Bang!*

: Lurahn… you…
… It was the will of Masaki Kihara that impelled me all this time…? The ambition I felt was just a lie he planted in my head…?
: Taiha… then what was your death for…?!

Rest of this mission will be in a day or two.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 14, 2017

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I love Selee's endless crying that the end of the world isn't going as planned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Onmi posted:

I love Selee's endless crying that the end of the world isn't going as planned.

"Actually, he's going to win whether he's our enemy or not, and there's nothing we can do to affect anything. Which means *gasp* that we'll need to print out new schedules!"

• Locked thread