Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

PT6A posted:

God bless the person who figured out how to make turbine engines, is all I can say.

John Barber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Captain Apollo posted:

Everybody post your favorite Insignias/Arts/Patches/Girls from WW2 era airplanes. be sure you add the context '490th bomb group' etc

I just found this one and, ah, wow:

:nws:
https://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl...%3A&vet=1&w=407

This one is actually pretty brilliant (a B-24 assembly ship:)

https://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl...ih=665&biw=1280

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 19, 2016

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I'm not sure if this is behind a paywall or not, but the Economist has some words on the new SST:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/gulliver/2016/11/return-mach

quote:

SINCE the moment that three British Airways Concordes touched down at Heathrow in 2003, on their final journey before being retired from service, air-heads have pined for the days of supersonic passenger jets. Concordes were cramped and noisy, but they were the very emblem of the jet-setting elite. One’s time had to be very valuable indeed to justify paying thousands of pounds extra to shave three-and-a-half hours off of a transatlantic trip.

One of Concorde’s most wide-eyed fans was Richard Branson. The airline boss apparently kept a model of the plane—with his Virgin livery replacing British Airways’, naturally—on his desk. Little wonder, then, that he is putting his effort behind the latest in a line of pretenders to the supersonic crown.

This week Boom Technology unveiled a prototype of a plane that will eventually be capable of flying at Mach 2.2. That would allow the three-engine, 50-seat jet (pictured above) to cross the Atlantic in three hours and thirty minutes, about the same as the old Concorde. It hopes to test a one-third-sized model in the skies next year, with the final version ready to take paying passengers in 2023—20 years after the Concorde’s final flight.

That might be optimistic. According to the Wall Street Journal:http://www.wsj.com/articles/supersonic-passenger-jet-edges-closer-to-reality-1479242115

"The project, which could cost more than $1bn, has initial support from several venture funds and is taking an unusual approach by adopting various technologies already certified by regulators. Still, future funding remains uncertain, daunting regulatory hurdles remain and the tight test schedule, aiming to certify a jetliner able to cruise 10% faster than the now-mothballed Concorde, could stretch due to unexpected challenges."

The project, which could cost more than $1bn, has initial support from several venture funds and is taking an unusual approach by adopting various technologies already certified by regulators. Still, future funding remains uncertain, daunting regulatory hurdles remain and the tight test schedule, aiming to certify a jetliner able to cruise 10% faster than the now-mothballed Concorde, could stretch due to unexpected challenges.

Nonetheless, Boom has some big-hitting partners. It will source engines from General Electric and avionics from Honeywell. Meanwhile Virgin Galactic, Mr Branson’s space firm, will help with manufacturing and flight-testing.

But even if the concept flies, it will have to overcome more prosaic hurdles. Blake Scholl, Boom’s chief executive, says that supersonic tickets will cost about the same as subsonic business-class ones. He calculates the market to be worth $100bn. But here lies the rub. Life at the front of a conventional jet is now a pampered one. Boom’s planes will not feature lie-flat beds, showers and cocktail bars. How many executives will be prepared to forgo such luxuries to arrive for their meetings early?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm not sure if this is behind a paywall or not, but the Economist has some words on the new SST:

It is sort of behind their pay wall, but you can still read it for free under many circumstances.

And no, they are wrong unfortunately. Even for the well-heeled, supersonic air travel is in the coffin. Barring a massive and heretofore unseen improvement in engine technology, as well as sonic boom mitigation, there just isn't any way it can be made to work at a level that any manufacturer would spend the billions of dollars to build a supersonic passenger aircraft, and a corporate aircraft even less. Sales in all size classes of corporate aircraft have been falling steadily, even in the face of economic recovery. That does not bode well for the future.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

MrChips posted:

It is sort of behind their pay wall, but you can still read it for free under many circumstances.

And no, they are wrong unfortunately. Even for the well-heeled, supersonic air travel is in the coffin. Barring a massive and heretofore unseen improvement in engine technology, as well as sonic boom mitigation, there just isn't any way it can be made to work at a level that any manufacturer would spend the billions of dollars to build a supersonic passenger aircraft, and a corporate aircraft even less. Sales in all size classes of corporate aircraft have been falling steadily, even in the face of economic recovery. That does not bode well for the future.

Really? The boom problem (pun sorta intended) is so bad that even limiting supersonic to oceanic flight it's pretty much a deal killer? I'm skeptical of Boom's efforts, but I gotta admit that I'm surprised the problems are so bad even a fancy plane exclusively for the 0.01% can't surmount them.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Really? The boom problem (pun sorta intended) is so bad that even limiting supersonic to oceanic flight it's pretty much a deal killer? I'm skeptical of Boom's efforts, but I gotta admit that I'm surprised the problems are so bad even a fancy plane exclusively for the 0.01% can't surmount them.

Physics is the great equalizer.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
As awesome as SSTs are, I feel like the internet and telepresence have made them obsolete more than airline economic forces.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

tactlessbastard posted:

As awesome as SSTs are, I feel like the internet and telepresence have made them obsolete more than airline economic forces.

As long as billionaires keep accruing more billions, they'll always be valued as 'something I have that lesser people can't justify owning.' The ability for them to be able to get from A-B-C in the time it takes someone with a ~subsonic~ private jet to get halfway from A to B is intrinsically valuable...to them.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Right, SST's are less relevant than mega-yachts. Mach 2.2 isn't that much different than mach .88, even on the New York-London route, and even more useless on anything else.
Physics always wins, and spending a lot more fuel to go a little more faster, especially when you're going to have to spend the same amount of time loading/unloading/in the pattern is a real hard sell for a lousy couple hours, particularly with inflight internet, modern lay-flat first class cabins, and Aliens on the IFE.
The Concorde was tiny and spartan as gently caress inside. I'd much MUCH rather spend another 2 hours in my G5, fly out of my local executive airport, and into any airport I want.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Slo-Tek posted:

I'd much MUCH rather spend another 2 hours in my G5, fly out of my local executive airport, and into any airport I want.

G5? Oh how gauche. Those of us with real money have moved on to G650s now, get with the times dear lad.

But in all seriousness, I'm not joking when I say that corporate aircraft sales are in a long, slow decline at every level. Businesses and shareholders alike just don't see the value of having an aircraft at their disposal - it's perceived more and more as a needless and very expensive luxury these days.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If CHINA could build a SST, you know they would.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Platystemon posted:

If CHINA could build a SST, you know they would.

And someone would still open the emergency exit to 'get some fresh air.'

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

BIG HEADLINE posted:

As long as billionaires keep accruing more billions, they'll always be valued as 'something I have that lesser people can't justify owning.' The ability for them to be able to get from A-B-C in the time it takes someone with a ~subsonic~ private jet to get halfway from A to B is intrinsically valuable...to them.

This is false. Corporate jets are on the decline. A number of factors are at play, but ultimately the key one is that shareholders and boards are not willing to put up the cost in light of cheaper alternatives.

Other posters have already mentioned videoconferencing, which in many cases obviates business travel altogether. But on top of that, airlines now offer nonstop service to more destinations than they used to, and more frequently than they used to. The 2008 financial crisis coinciding with high fuel costs had a lot of companies looking hard for places to tighten the belt; they're not loosening it back up now that it's over.

Then you have the hilariously complicated regulatory environment. Three different federal agencies--the FAA, IRS, and SEC--all breathe down your neck to see if you're misusing the jet, and their concerns contradict each other. The IRS doesn't want the CEO getting free non-business travel because that's taxable compensation. They insist that he pay for every piece of personal travel he takes on the jet, and the rules defining personal vs. business travel are ludicrously complex. The FAA, on the other hand, will slam your rear end if you charge him too much money, because then you're running an air taxi service instead of general aviation! So if you mess up on figuring out the value of the personal travel, either the FAA or the IRS will nab you. The SEC, meanwhile, requires that all corporate jet use is documented and reported to shareholders. You need a whole team of lawyers and accountants to comply the rules, all so a few guys get to their destination a bit sooner.

So more and more companies are deciding it isn't worth having jets at all, let alone supersonic ones.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Nov 20, 2016

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mortabis posted:

The 2008 financial crisis coinciding with high fuel costs had a lot of companies looking hard for places to tighten the belt; they're not loosening it back up now that it's over.

because it's not over for most people

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

psst hey kid, wanna bomb the Soviet Union?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Wow, rationality vs. conspicuous consumption, and rationality actually wins?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

Business class doesn't feature the ridiculous showers and poo poo though, that's "first" or "suites" or whatever the gently caress and those aren't on short transatlantic routes.

They don't necessarily need lie flats either, they'd need excellent wifi instead though.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

hobbesmaster posted:

Business class doesn't feature the ridiculous showers and poo poo though, that's "first" or "suites" or whatever the gently caress and those aren't on short transatlantic routes.

They don't necessarily need lie flats either, they'd need excellent wifi instead though.

Lie-flats are the best because they have excellent legroom sitting down, as well as lots of positions other than fully flat for you to get comfortable in on a long flight.

Frankly, if the BA flight I flew business on across the ocean had had wifi, it would've been superior to being in my house in most every single way -- comfy, and people bring me food and great booze whenever I ask for no additional money. I don't think, for the same price, I'd give that experience up just to save a few hours.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

PT6A posted:

Lie-flats are the best because they have excellent legroom sitting down, as well as lots of positions other than fully flat for you to get comfortable in on a long flight.

Frankly, if the BA flight I flew business on across the ocean had had wifi, it would've been superior to being in my house in most every single way -- comfy, and people bring me food and great booze whenever I ask for no additional money. I don't think, for the same price, I'd give that experience up just to save a few hours.

Just fly American. I flew it 2 weeks ago to London and the wifi was spectacular and the seat far better than Club World.

Flying private isn't comfortable for long transatlantic flights compared to First. But it is private and is flexible.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

sellouts posted:

Just fly American. I flew it 2 weeks ago to London and the wifi was spectacular and the seat far better than Club World.

Flying private isn't comfortable for long transatlantic flights compared to First. But it is private and is flexible.

That would take me well out of my way and require me to clear US customs, so nah.

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.
It is possible to reduce (but not eliminate) the acoustic effects of sonic booms by shaping the fuselage. NASA and DARPA had the Shaped Sonic Boom Demonstrator program a decade or so ago, which modified an F-5 with a bulbous nose.

This shaping causes the energy from the boom to be more distributed over time/space in the far field, resulting in the peaks of the typical N-wave to be rounded off--there's still a lot of low frequency energy left, but the parts of the boom that bother people are somewhat attenuated. The renewed push for SSTs relies on people convincing FAA/ICAO that modern vehicles can be designed to have low booms that will be accepted by the community, and to allow the ban on supersonic flight to be replaced with some sort of noise certification.

I'm personally of the opinion that such shaping will only be marginally effective--moreover, I think that even if you can effectively reduce the perceived level of booms, people still won't accept it due to a) environmental concerns about the increased fuel burn b) worries about booms causing damage to people's health, livestock, and structures and c) the perception that these vehicles are not useful, except for the very wealthy, since the first examples will be especially expensive business jets. Even worse, though, is that the economics of these aircraft don't make a lot of sense in an era where airliners are filling every seat and flying even slower than before to save every last penny. There's an argument to be made for an SST that can travel faster than Mach 3, where fuel per pound per mile can actually get pretty low due to a high propulsive efficiency, but airliners in the Mach 1-3 range could never be cost competitive with subsonic aircraft.

As for boom.aero, I think it's a ridiculous endeavor, bordering on the fraudulent. They simply don't have the resources to build, but more importantly certify, anything like the 1/2-size Concorde they've been pushing. Companies like Boeing and Airbus nearly bankrupt themselves developing new subsonic airliners and getting them to production. You can look at boom.aero's about page to see their best people; they have a couple people who know a thing or two, but nothing special compared to the rest of the traditional aerospace industry. Nothing like the advance concept divisions of the big companies, or even smaller ones like Cessna and Gulfstream. What fairy dust do they have that the rest don't? I see boom.aero, and the rest of the new generation of aerospace startups--pushing the likes of cheap SSTs, electric aircraft, and poorly conceived VTOL configurations--as bilking Silicon Valley "venture capitalists" with tech backgrounds into supplying dumb money so they can play at being Burt Rutan for a couple of years. Aerospace isn't software; it's a highly regulated industry with huge capital expenditures and necessarily long development times.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

PT6A posted:

I would gladly trade the amenities of business class to cut my travel time by 50%.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I would gladly trade the amenities of business class to cut my travel time by 50%.

Given the same price? What about 2x the price? 4x?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
You're looking at a lot more than 4x the price I'd wager.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Mortabis posted:

You're looking at a lot more than 4x the price I'd wager.

The article quote was same price as international business class. Which is 4x-8x (or more depending on route) peon class already.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Me too. Bye lovely dinner, $3 of fresh fruit in the morning and gas station booze.

Hours 9+ are what really hurt.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Tetraptous posted:

It is possible to reduce (but not eliminate) the acoustic effects of sonic booms by shaping the fuselage. NASA and DARPA had the Shaped Sonic Boom Demonstrator program a decade or so ago, which modified an F-5 with a bulbous nose.

This shaping causes the energy from the boom to be more distributed over time/space in the far field, resulting in the peaks of the typical N-wave to be rounded off--there's still a lot of low frequency energy left, but the parts of the boom that bother people are somewhat attenuated. The renewed push for SSTs relies on people convincing FAA/ICAO that modern vehicles can be designed to have low booms that will be accepted by the community, and to allow the ban on supersonic flight to be replaced with some sort of noise certification.

Wait, are the pinstripes on the side of the jet literally the chart of its sonic boom performance? I've looked at pictures of that funny jet for years and just now realized it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That's too much of a coincidence for it not too.

In other news, Canada just announced it's going to buy 18 Superhornets to supplement the old as gently caress A's as a stopgap until the government decides whether we're going to poo poo or get off the pot with the F35 partnership.

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

bennyfactor posted:

Wait, are the pinstripes on the side of the jet literally the chart of its sonic boom performance? I've looked at pictures of that funny jet for years and just now realized it.

Yes they are! The red N-wave pinstripe is the pressure time history you'll measure using a microphone for any conventional pointy nosed supersonic airplane. The black "flat top" N-wave pinstripe is what they hopes to get with the bulbous shaping--this obviously increases the wave drag, but if your choice is higher drag or not flying at all, the drag isn't so bad. They had a pretty good idea that it would work prior to the experiment, hence the fancy pinstriping.

The original plan was just to fly the different F-5 variants that have different length pointy radomes--but they quickly realized that wouldn't show much of an effect, since the shaping is much more important than the length. Apparently the F-5 has an easily swapped out nose, though, so they decided to stick with that choice of airframe.

Tetraptous fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 22, 2016

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Tetraptous posted:

As for boom.aero, I think it's a ridiculous endeavor, bordering on the fraudulent. They simply don't have the resources to build, but more importantly certify, anything like the 1/2-size Concorde they've been pushing. Companies like Boeing and Airbus nearly bankrupt themselves developing new subsonic airliners and getting them to production. You can look at boom.aero's about page to see their best people; they have a couple people who know a thing or two, but nothing special compared to the rest of the traditional aerospace industry. Nothing like the advance concept divisions of the big companies, or even smaller ones like Cessna and Gulfstream. What fairy dust do they have that the rest don't?

The answer to that question is literally "disruption." :smuggo:

The slightly longer answer to that Boom is "nimble", "unburdened by infrastructure" and "challenging the status quo" and several other buzzwords

On a slightly more realistic note, the successes recently of commercial spaceflight have convinced the Silicon valley types to try the same thing in other similar fields.

slidebite posted:

In other news, Canada just announced it's going to buy 18 Superhornets to supplement the old as gently caress A's as a stopgap until the government decides whether we're going to poo poo or get off the pot with the F35 partnership.

My gut instinct is to describe this as good news.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nebakenezzer posted:

My gut instinct is to describe this as good news.
Don't worry, they'll want a custom spec that takes 15 years to materialize.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

No poo poo. I hope Boeing is giving them a minimal set of choices for customization so we'll actually get something. Like maybe the spotlight.

At least with the C-17/CC-177 they didn't gently caress that one up royally (AFAIK at least).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

slidebite posted:

No poo poo. I hope Boeing is giving them a minimal set of choices for customization so we'll actually get something. Like maybe the spotlight.

At least with the C-17/CC-177 they didn't gently caress that one up royally (AFAIK at least).

For buying 18 I can only assume the options are "cross out the USN insignia? Y/N"

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It doesn't seem clear yet if these SuperHornets are some kind of lease deal or buy.. I wonder how much effect this will have on the main fleet replacement and if the RCAF can maintain 2 different fighters.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

I think for such a small fleet of aircraft, the number of RCAF wrenches on those Super Hornets will be minimal. They'll contract out the maintenance for sure.

I don't think are exactly a ton of options available to customise a modern combat jet. If you want something different, my impression is you need to pay for the engineeribg and certification yourself.

That said, I hope they get the spotlight in the nose again! :v:

MrChips fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Nov 23, 2016

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

MrChips posted:

I think for such a small fleet of aircraft, the number of RCAF wrenches on those Super Hornets will be minimal. They'll contract out the maintenance for sure.

I don't think are exactly a ton of options available to customise a modern combat jet. If you want something different, my impression is you need to pay for the engineeribg and certification yourself.

That said, I hope they get the spotlight in the nose again! :v:

You can do a pretty wide range of avionics and subsystems things without a new airworthiness/type cert but the engineering and qualification of said subsystems will screw you hard as none of the commercial stuff will have been tested to fast jet specs and use cases.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I am over by Eglin this week. Anything I should see? Already doing the museum here, and the one in Pensacola.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

CarForumPoster posted:

You can do a pretty wide range of avionics and subsystems things without a new airworthiness/type cert but the engineering and qualification of said subsystems will screw you hard as none of the commercial stuff will have been tested to fast jet specs and use cases.

Also, we like to keep all the cool things for ourselves unless we don't have a reason to withhold it. You can bet the software load on the exported Super Hornets won't be 1:1 with USN Super Hornet in terms of features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

I once did a flight test at Eglin off the range containing what's left of the small runway the Doolittle raid was developed on. It was cool to be there, but there's not much to see other than an X'd out runway in the middle of what Floridians call "the woods."

Other than the Armaments museum and the naval air museum at Pensacola, I can't think of anything else worth seeing. If you're near the base, the French Quarter serves great Cajun food. I go there regularly, so I'm also interested in things to see if I'm missing something cool.