Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Fatty posted:

Ahh cool. Does the same apply to the Vampire Magician challenges? Randomly found the costume and they all looked very difficult to do with the standard targets.

Yeah, you can do those with contracts too. I actually did them with the story targets because I didn't even know about custom contracts at the time and it was a huge pain in the rear end. Especially the one where you have to burn someone with spilled gasoline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

i silent assassin'd the 'kill a target with fire' vampire magician challenge with the default mission, due to brain problems

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

What does it mean when a starting loadout item says custom or mastercrafted?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Peewi posted:

What does it mean when a starting loadout item says custom or mastercrafted?

Custom means that you unlocked it in another chapter than the one you're playing in.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
How long is the current ET active for? I've just moved abodes and don't have the internet until Thursday :ohdear:

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
It went up on early Friday morning and is due to last a full week, 168 hours. As long as you start a run anytime Thursday or in the wee hours of Friday morning you're good.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I got screwed out of silent assassin on the elusive, it seems when you poison someone it counts as a noticed kill for a few seconds before "unnoticed kill" comes up in the corner. If you leave the map during those few seconds you don't get SA. :negative:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

ymgve posted:

User-made contracts. There are probably now contracts made specifically to fulfill the challenge.

Don't think it matters if the target spots you, but if anyone else makes the border around your minimap change and status goes to "suspicious" you have been spotted.

Also cameras, of course.

Targets do count for spotted. If you are recorded by a camera, you can remove the hit to your ranking by deleting the footage at any one of the security rooms in the map. Note that you can do the same in advance of being recorded and will effectively take out all cameras on the map. You can also just shoot the camera server to achieve the same effect.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Pilchenstein posted:

I got screwed out of silent assassin on the elusive, it seems when you poison someone it counts as a noticed kill for a few seconds before "unnoticed kill" comes up in the corner. If you leave the map during those few seconds you don't get SA. :negative:

Wow, you didn't stick around to watch him die? What kind of Hitman player are you?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
If anything I'm too efficient. :v:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
I poisoned him as well since it seemed the most fitting way to assassinate a :chef:

Woulda got SA but a guard caught me trespassing as I was exiting the level.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Tir McDohl posted:

Wow, you didn't stick around to watch him die? What kind of Hitman player are you?

One of my favourite moments throughout all of the game so far was leaving the explosive golf ball for one of the targets in Sapienza, walking off and ten minutes later hearing a muffled explosion in the distance and the words 'target eliminated' flash across the screen.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
And yet a guard is going to see you on the other side of the map and blame you

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Tir McDohl posted:

Cool hitmen don't look at poisonings.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Pilchenstein posted:

Are you sure that's it? I left the map within seconds of getting the kill notice and I got SA.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Cool hitmen don't look at poisonings.

Cool hitmen don't stand perfectly still staring creepily at someone with dead eyes. Cool hitmen have a sense of personal space when in the bathroom.

I am not a cool hitman.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Peewi posted:

Are you sure that's it? I left the map within seconds of getting the kill notice and I got SA.
Yeah, it's apparently to stop you throwing the exploding duck at ETs, having them pick it up then walking to the exit, detonating and leaving before the bodies hit the floor to get SA. Not sure why it affects poisons too but there you go. Ironically, I exited super quickly because when he died it flashed "BODY FOUND" on the screen and I thought it had bugged and maybe I could exit before it registered. I got the points for no bodies found anyway, it was the kill being noticed that shafted me. C'est la vie, I'm sure there'll be another Paris ET before we're done.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Tir McDohl posted:

Best part of the game is watching them and pretending to be a shocked bystander.

Dr_0ctag0n fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 23, 2016

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Why can't I drown her. Shes puking in the toilet. :mad:

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

dc3k posted:

KAI controls the toilets and will drain them if a face is detected inside. At least I hope that is the reason.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

dc3k posted:

Breaking her neck and throwing her into the hot spring during the yoga lesson is more fun anyway, especially with her bodyguard standing 6 feet away.

Also I found him later in the level looking for her :laugh:

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

SubponticatePoster posted:

Breaking her neck and throwing her into the hot spring during the yoga lesson is more fun anyway, especially with her bodyguard standing 6 feet away.

Also I found him later in the level looking for her :laugh:

Will that get me the drowning challenge?

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
after playing too much OW and deciding to relax with hitman, i realized that jordan cross is voiced by lucio

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

dc3k posted:

Will that get me the drowning challenge?

It was pretty easy getting the drowning challenge in the first level of the escalation, I found.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Tir McDohl posted:

It was pretty easy getting the drowning challenge in the first level of the escalation, I found.

I always forget about those. Thanks, I'll start on it

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

General Morden posted:

after playing too much OW and deciding to relax with hitman, i realized that jordan cross is voiced by lucio

Did you headshot him in the recording booth and tell him "That's how you get tinnitus."?

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup

dc3k posted:

Something is definitely messed up here because I drowned her in the exact same toilet after emetic poisoning her sushi. I even had to choke out the guy who uses that bathroom while she was puking.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Is Absolution worth getting for $5 just to have more Hitman, even if it's not as good as Blood Money or the new one?

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Sinteres posted:

Is Absolution worth getting for $5 just to have more Hitman, even if it's not as good as Blood Money or the new one?

no

no no no no no

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Sinteres posted:

Yes. I liked it. It's no Blood Money, but I had fun.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sinteres posted:

It's really not good

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Sinteres posted:

Buy Absolution, play it, then get the new one and it will seem even better by pure contrast.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

khwarezm posted:

Buy Absolution, play it, then get the new one and it will seem even better by pure contrast.

I just got the new game a few days ago, and I'm already mourning in advance a time when I won't have fresh maps to play, so I was hoping Absolution would be worth a shot. I've only played the first two maps so far, because exploring the different variations is fun, but they've been so good that I want way more than what I have left (especially since it looks like the rest of the maps aren't considered as good as the first two). At least there's a second season coming.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Sinteres posted:

I just got the new game a few days ago, and I'm already mourning in advance a time when I won't have fresh maps to play, so I was hoping Absolution would be worth a shot. I've only played the first two maps so far, because exploring the different variations is fun, but they've been so good that I want way more than what I have left (especially since it looks like the rest of the maps aren't considered as good as the first two). At least there's a second season coming.

So you know, Absolution is much more linear and the maps are generally much smaller and less interesting than either Hitman 2016 or Blood Money. Half them aren't assassinations and don't offer much by way of creative free-form approaches to the problems presented since all you have to do is get to a level exit or shoot a bunch of nuns.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Christ dudes, for $5 Absolution is worth it. It's a terrible Hitman game, but it's still a good game for what it tried (though failed) to do.

If for anything else, it's a good value for having access to Absolution's contracts mode which is still superior to what it is in the new game. It has lots of goofy disguises to mess around with. I like how the game's challenges system encouraged you to explore the levels by finding/picking up every unique item on the map. Both versions of Chinatown are fantastic Hitman levels (despite the disguise system making it a pain in the rear end to play them like a Hitman game at times). And some of the set pieces and cutscenes are fun/funny.

If you don't take it seriously, $5 is pretty good for a modern Hitman game even if it's the black sheep of the family.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
It's an alright stealth action game but it's not really a hitman game. There's a level where you loving run from a helicopter. gently caress off.

I am thankful for it introducing crouch running and contracts mode though. Also it was fun dressing up like a judge in that one level.

edit:It also added the vision indicator which is also nice to have.

But then again, there are probably earlier hitman games that I would say were Not Hitman if they came out after blood money, like all the loving around with ninjas in 2. So I guess it's better to say it Ain't No Blood Money.

Chexoid fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 24, 2016

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

WindyMan posted:

Christ dudes, for $5 Absolution is worth it. It's a terrible Hitman game, but it's still a good game for what it tried (though failed) to do.

If for anything else, it's a good value for having access to Absolution's contracts mode which is still superior to what it is in the new game. It has lots of goofy disguises to mess around with. I like how the game's challenges system encouraged you to explore the levels by finding/picking up every unique item on the map. Both versions of Chinatown are fantastic Hitman levels (despite the disguise system making it a pain in the rear end to play them like a Hitman game at times). And some of the set pieces and cutscenes are fun/funny.

If you don't take it seriously, $5 is pretty good for a modern Hitman game even if it's the black sheep of the family.

Still a fairly significant time investment and I wouldn't really recommend it all round. I found that game so dang unpleasant to experience, especially with the way the story was presented.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
The only good things about absolution are integrated into the new hitman, namely it uses the exact same control scheme and most of the mechanics work the same way. As others have said, it's horribly linear and seemed more like a splinter cell game than a hitman game.

If you like sneaking around in disguises and taking out baddies in stealth mode, you'll get more than enough enjoyment to warrant a $5 purchase. The instinct system and mark/execute mechanics were pretty cool but with the level design and horrible anime-ish story/characters it was hard to enjoy as much as blood money or hitman 2016.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Don't forget Absolution's horrifically indefensible racism, sexism, and antisemitism! The game is so badly, disgustingly, garishly written, I've not even seen redpill-MRA types defend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup
So I had the same issue of not getting my new suits unlocked after killing the Chef Elusive Target. I poisoned his caviar, waited for him to die, then walked calmly from the caviar area all the way to the front gate exit. When it got to the screen that shows you your unlocks, then your score, time etc it started having connectivity issues and wasn't loading anything and the only option I had was to push X to continue so I did. The main menu took forever to load but when it did it showed the Elusive Target as "Eliminated" but my 1 Elusive Target on Paris and 1 Elusive Target Silent Assassin are still uncompleted. It was one of my most crushing video game moments ever. I've failed Elusive Targets fair and square before but getting cheated out of one is heart-breaking. The moral of the story: there's more ways to gently caress up your unlocks than leaving the mission too quickly. If the post-mission unlocks and stat screens are taking a long time to load just wait it out.