Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Quest For Glory II posted:

i'm now thinking about how Domonic Brown was TOO VALUABLE TO TRADE for so many years

The Yankees apparently declared James loving Pazos "off-limits" last off-season, and they just traded him to Seattle for Zack Littell, who just finished the season in High-A.

(Not that I think they would have gotten much more for him last year, but prospect value is a hosed up thing.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Weird, I don't see a spot where I can vote for Gleyber Torres.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bad boy in the boy band posted:

I've heard rumblings of the Sox talking to the Dodgers about Sale. Is there anything to that or are the Dodgers just kicking the tires?

Word on the street is that the Dodgers are legit looking at Sale, Fraizer, Verlander, and Kinsler, with the most concrete rumors surrounding Sale and Kinsler. The Dodgers have easily the best farm system at the moment so they definitely have the pieces to grab any of the four, and maybe two of four if they really are willing to bet the farm on going all in. They're not the only ones though: Yankees and Braves are apparently also pushing pretty hard for Sale, and they don't have farm systems to sneeze at either.

That said if the Dodgers resign Turner/Jansen & pick up Sale/Kinsler in trades, they're the team to beat next year imo.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

TheChaosPath posted:

If your goal is to win 3-4 coin tosses in a row, your plan to achieve that goal should be centered around making it to the coin toss round as many times as possible, not gluing an extra milligram to one side of the coin for one season

I hate the coin toss stuff. The better team does win more than they lose in the playoffs. Yes I know it's like a 55-45 split but that still matters. It's the difference in a 16% chance of winning a WS vs a 9% chance of winning one. If this move was able to knock up the Cubs chances in each round by a few percentage points, it's worth it.

Also the Cubs had a 7 game lead in the division at the time. I know that's sizable but it was not an absolute lock.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

TheChaosPath posted:

If your goal is to win 3-4 coin tosses in a row, your plan to achieve that goal should be centered around making it to the coin toss round as many times as possible, not gluing an extra milligram to one side of the coin for one season

I pretty much agree. But it should be noted that you're a Braves fan, and thus obligated to say that sustained regular season success > winning World Series :P

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Weird, I don't see a spot where I can vote for Gleyber Torres.

You have to at least play part of ten seasons in the major leagues to be eligible :(

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Sydin posted:

Word on the street is that the Dodgers are legit looking at Sale, Fraizer, Verlander, and Kinsler, with the most concrete rumors surrounding Sale and Kinsler. The Dodgers have easily the best farm system at the moment so they definitely have the pieces to grab any of the four, and maybe two of four if they really are willing to bet the farm on going all in. They're not the only ones though: Yankees and Braves are apparently also pushing pretty hard for Sale, and they don't have farm systems to sneeze at either.

That said if the Dodgers resign Turner/Jansen & pick up Sale/Kinsler in trades, they're the team to beat next year imo.

God drat, if they pull that off... :stare:

I want no part of Kershaw/Sale in a short series. None.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 22, 2016

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Cubs fan did not deserve to see their team win last year, and in fact will not deserve to see their team win again for the next 108 years.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Cubs fan did not deserve to see their team win last year, and in fact will not deserve to see their team win again for the next 108 years.

So sayeth Ammat The Ankh, determiner of all things deserved.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

The Pussy Boss posted:

I pretty much agree. But it should be noted that you're a Braves fan, and thus obligated to say that sustained regular season success > winning World Series :P

They have done both things in my time as a fan and having been able to be fairly to highly confident on any given day that I could watch my favorite team do a good job of playing the game of baseball for 20 of the last 25 seasons has meant a hell of a lot more to me than that one time they won the All-Star Game But For Teams

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Ammat The Ankh posted:

They're probably gonna win at least one more in the next few years though :smugdog:

Even if they don't, I don't care anymore (this is only half true)

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Nail Rat posted:

They're probably gonna win at least one more in the next few years though :smugdog:

I think you mean the Cubs are going to go on an unprecedented 10 year World Series winning streak just so that St. Louis will shut the gently caress up about having 11 Series wins.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

Who is this unnamed other dominant reliever the Cubs could have gotten for a pittance?

Mark Melancon :smugdog:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

TMMadman posted:

I think you mean the Cubs are going to go on an unprecedented 10 year World Series winning streak just so that St. Louis will shut the gently caress up about having 11 Series wins.

yes but gleyber torres has 27 rings

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Gleyber Torres is going to hit a grand slam in the bottom of inning 15 in game 7 of the 2023 World Series which will pit the Cubs against the Yankees and I'll be around to quote this post forever.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
Flags may fly forever or until about 20 years after humanity goes extinct, but my team made it to the final four this year and they don't get to hang poo poo. That seem right to you?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

shadok posted:

Flags may fly forever or until about 20 years after humanity goes extinct, but my team made it to the final four this year and they don't get to hang poo poo. That seem right to you?

They got to hang their heads...

...in shame. :v:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Is there some other manner of hanging your head that I don't know about?

TMMadman posted:

Yeah like that'd stop them

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Intruder posted:

Is there some other manner of hanging your head that I don't know about?

Well there's hanging your head in a noose...

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Nail Rat posted:

Yeah, ask the Philadelphia "four aces" Phillies how easy it is to repeat :(

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ego symphonic posted:

Mark Melancon :smugdog:

Still a rental, cost Washington a guy already in the MLB bullpen and an A-ball prospect.

Intruder posted:

They still won them first/THE RIGHT WAY!

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Popete posted:

I want to point out the Gleyber Torres had a .775 in A ball this year with 478 ABs which is a much bigger sample size than the Arizona Fall League, still impressive but not absurd. He's still a top prospect, but yeah it's a real long ways to go. Javier Baez was a top 5 prospect at the AAA level and he had a lot of trouble making the transition to the majors.

Also any trade for Miller or another reliever may have ended with Schwarber being gone and look how much he contributed to the WS games. Anything different and the Cubs could have easily lost.

I don't really care that they traded him, he's just a cool guy.

Just to point out, Rafael Devers, who plays 3rd base, and was generally considered a better prospect entering the season, is also 19 and posted a worse OPS in the Carolina League this season. I'm not saying we shouldn't count the FSL but it's considered a much tougher offensive environment due to park factors and poo poo weather.

So the only hitters around Torres' age who really did better than him over a full season at high-A are mostly corner position guys or Yoan Moancada, who could very well end up at 3rd.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

tadashi posted:

I don't really care that they traded him, he's just a cool guy.

Just to point out, Rafael Devers, who plays 3rd base, and was generally considered a better prospect entering the season, is also 19 and posted a worse OPS in the Carolina League this season. I'm not saying we shouldn't count the FSL but it's considered a much tougher offensive environment due to park factors and poo poo weather.

So the only hitters around Torres' age who really did better than him over a full season at high-A are mostly corner position guys or Yoan Moancada, who could very well end up at 3rd.

From what I had read on Torres, he probably isn't going to stick at SS. Just not a strong enough defender. So in the end he'll probably be a 2B or 3B.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Nards Pan posted:

Yeah, ask the Philadelphia "four aces" Phillies how easy it is to repeat :(

That's why the Patriots succeed where the Phillies fail: they know you have to have FIVE Aces

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

the cards have won 11 world titles if anyone was wondering

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Scob posted:

the cards have won 11 world titles if anyone was wondering

*tussles hair*

Aren't you adorable.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

Still a rental, cost Washington a guy already in the MLB bullpen and an A-ball prospect.

Haha I know I was just being a jerk. If anything it's another argument for not putting too much stock in winning trades.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

We have reached the point in the offseason that Yankees fans are trying to convince Cubs fans that the stud prospect they traded for probably won't be that great, and hey don't forget that world series you won. It only took 3 weeks.

2016, yall.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Vin Scully is about to receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz8613fehHw

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Tender Bender posted:

We have reached the point in the offseason that Yankees fans are consoling Cubs fans that the stud prospect they traded for probably won't be that great, and hey at least you can celebrate this world series. It only took 3 weeks.

2016, yall.

Is probably the worst year in my entire 28 years on this earth.

And the loving Cubs won the world series.

gently caress 2016.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ego symphonic posted:

Haha I know I was just being a jerk. If anything it's another argument for not putting too much stock in winning trades.

I figured you were kidding, but Melancon is literally the only answer to that question and the idea that the Cubs could have gotten him for some Z-rank prospects in rookie ball is laughable.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

TMMadman posted:

They only need 8 more to reach 11.

I personally think the Cubs are going on a 108-win streak.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Cubs released Spencer Patton. :rip:

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

who?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Future Hall of Famer.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

bad boy in the boy band posted:

So sayeth Ammat The Ankh, determiner of all things deserved.

You, specifically, did not deserve the win

You can have gleyber torres while the rest of us are happy with a win and a trade that worked out pretty well for both sides

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Paul Zuvella posted:

The Cubs literally won a world series, what is wrong with you.

Torres has like a 15% chance, tops, at being a serviceable MLB player and you won the first goddamn world series in 108 years.

Chapman trade was 100% the right move and I hate the amount of prospect hugging that goes on in these threads, but lets not kid ourselves. This guy is a top 20 prospect in all of baseball. Its more like 40% chance of being a serviceable MLB player. 15% chance of being a starter for more than 5 years, 2% of ever being an all-star, etc. That being said, Cubs won the trade because they won the WS. Thats all that matters.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
^^^
This guy gets it.

RP who posted absurd numbers in AAA (0.75 ERA / 59 K through 36 IP :swoon:) but absolutely blew chunks when Cubs called him up (5.48 ERA / 22 K through 21.1 IP :barf:)

He's 28 and out of options so I guess the Cubs figured he wasn't going to make the team next year and wanted to free up a roster spot.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

AJ Reed was #11 going into 2016 and the top first base prospect and has mashed at every level and was an unmitigated disaster in the majors. (Yeah I know sample size and all)

Jon Singleton was a top 25 prospect just a couple years ago and was just outrighted off the 40 man

~Prospects will break your heart~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Reed was also a good college hitter so it's a bit unusual.

• Locked thread