Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Of all the classics, I think it shows its age far worse than the original trilogy ever could as far as visuals go. Those early 3D environments and that Superman 64-alike fog everywhere; hoo boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Well, a decent chunk of the game did take place in Antarctica, for whatever that's worth. They have at least something of an excuse for haze / fog.

... Out of sheer morbid curiosity, looking back at what Claire wore in that video.... just how fast would you get third-degree frostbite in an Antarctic snowstorm with those clothes? I mean, it's RE game, realism is not even remotely high on the priority list, but drat. It always gets to me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The PS3 remaster of Code Veronica makes it look better and the X version was one of those early PS2 Dreamcast ports where it looked worse than the original. Not saying it looks great or anything but I think it's aged better than any of the PS1 games.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Sakurazuka posted:

The PS3 remaster of Code Veronica makes it look better and the X version was one of those early PS2 Dreamcast ports where it looked worse than the original. Not saying it looks great or anything but I think it's aged better than any of the PS1 games.

:agreed: look at the RE2 FMV cutscenes for fucks sakes. Some of those are cringeworthy by today's standards.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Spiffster posted:

look at the RE2 FMV cutscenes for fucks sakes. Some of those are cringeworthy by today's standards.

Really though, I mean the environments as far as ageing better goes. As static as they are (for obvious reasons), the environments in the first three games just have so much more atmosphere to them compared to CV and its fog-filled early-3D nonsense.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I sort of miss pre-rendered backgrounds in that they ended up so incredibly busy and messy in a way that no modern background really does. It helped give areas a bit more personality.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It makes me wonder how REmake 2 is tackling it. All I know is that apparently Kamiya is saying it's going to be great.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

When was the last time Capcom mentioned anything about REmake 2?

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Sakurazuka posted:

When was the last time Capcom mentioned anything about REmake 2?
I think it was around when PT kicked the bucket I think as a screw you to Konami.

Still miss PT... Konami si the worst :smith:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I can imagine REm 2 being very traditional just as a failsafe in case the new direction of 7 doesn't take off, but it's been a heck of a long time since they acknowledged its existence.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I think the bigger screw you to Konami was Capcom allegedly taking P.T./Metal Gear developer Jordan Amaro to work on RE7.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Man we live in such an upside down world where Resident Evil emphasizes stealth now and Metal Gear is about zombies. What's up with that?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I can imagine REm 2 being very traditional just as a failsafe in case the new direction of 7 doesn't take off, but it's been a heck of a long time since they acknowledged its existence.

I think when they "announced" it they literally had not started any work at it at all except for gauging interest. So it's going to be a while, especially if they keep the A/B game for Claire and Leon.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

We do it!

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
ok capcom where's the screenshots and trailers

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Too busy removing everything that made the earlier games unique from Dead Rising 4

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I dont like not knowing my charecters face so I hope RE7 has a selfie mode

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I dont like not knowing my charecters face so I hope RE7 has a selfie mode

Plot twist: your character wears a full mask that makes any identification too ambiguous

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Wamdoodle posted:

Plot twist: your character wears a full mask that makes any identification too ambiguous

Yeeeeees, finally we play Hunk, Capcom has bluffed us and instead it is US who is the unstoppable monster :getin:

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

http://i.imgur.com/LFWlmKk.gifv

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

I didn't know Jill had an idle animation, that's pretty cool.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Dj Meow Mix posted:

I didn't know Jill had an idle animation, that's pretty cool.
Chris has one too; for some reason idle animations went away in RE2 (but came back in RE3), with the exception of Chris in Extreme Battle (recycling his same idle animation from the original). Oddly, the character select in said mode does show them all with idle animations apart from Ada, since she's clearly too cool or something to look bored so she just stands there like a lemon instead.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think Rebecca/Billy in RE0 have a couple different idle animations depending on the size of weapon they're holding

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I don't recall any idle animations in REmake, RE0 or RE4 (Ashley looking around being an exception). Could be wrong as far as RE0 goes, but there weren't any in REmake.

Oh sod it, I'll check quickly.

Edit:
No idle animations in RE0, unless they take an aeon to trigger.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 21, 2016

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I don't recall any idle animations in REmake, RE0 or RE4 (Ashley looking around being an exception). Could be wrong as far as RE0 goes, but there weren't any in REmake.

Oh sod it, I'll check quickly.

Edit:
No idle animations in RE0, unless they take an aeon to trigger.

You have to stand there for like 45-60 seconds IIRC. It makes sense to have them in RE0 since one character will be standing there for like 5-10 minutes sometimes when they have to split up for certain sections

E:

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Nov 21, 2016

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Resident Evil 7 is getting another Collector's Edition outside of the Japanese-only one with the sack you put on your head.

It's exclusive to GameStop and costs $180. Apparently the music box plays a clip of "Aunt Rhody" and the mansion has LEDs that light up as the song plays.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Having the items from the demo be physical items for that set is pretty funny, I have to admit. If only it were a real VHS tape.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Help Im Alive posted:

You have to stand there for like 45-60 seconds IIRC. It makes sense to have them in RE0 since one character will be standing there for like 5-10 minutes sometimes when they have to split up for certain sections

E:

Well goddamn, just went back to check REmake and the animations are there too if you stand around long enough! gently caress! (Double-checked RE2 and RE4 again just to be sure but at least they weren't sneakily lying to me for over a decade.)

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

That collectors edition doesn't appear to even include the season pass :(

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Do we know what kind of content is slated to be included in the season pass?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

We don't even know what kind of content we're getting in the main game yet.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Well goddamn, just went back to check REmake and the animations are there too if you stand around long enough! gently caress! (Double-checked RE2 and RE4 again just to be sure but at least they weren't sneakily lying to me for over a decade.)

I've been running REmake over and over again for the past month or so and managed to miss that, it's a sweet detail. I hope RE2make (or is it REmake2?) is up that quality as well.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I have such high hopes for REmake 2. I honestly don't see how they could possibly live up to my expectations. I mean, they'd have to make four fully fleshed out storylines (Leon A/Claire B, Claire A/Leon B), plus Hunk, plus Tofu, all on the same level of quality as the REmake. It just seems impossible somehow.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I have such high hopes for REmake 2. I honestly don't see how they could possibly live up to my expectations. I mean, they'd have to make four fully fleshed out storylines (Leon A/Claire B, Claire A/Leon B), plus Hunk, plus Tofu, all on the same level of quality as the REmake. It just seems impossible somehow.

Eh, it's not really that hard.

Leon A/Claire A and Leon B/Claire B are 90% identical and the differences between them largely amount to cutscenes, some weapon placement, and if Sherry or Ada are playable in brief parts. Even if you assume more significant changes it's not the same as designing 4 full playthroughs.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

ImpAtom posted:

Eh, it's not really that hard.

Leon A/Claire A and Leon B/Claire B are 90% identical and the differences between them largely amount to cutscenes, some weapon placement, and if Sherry or Ada are playable in brief parts. Even if you assume more significant changes it's not the same as designing 4 full playthroughs.

Yeah, on top of that there's only like a handful of rooms even unique to Claire or Leon's scenario in the first place (Irons' office/rape dungeon/boss cave and Leon's extended basement/sewer connection.) Resident Evil 2's meaningful content was only a bit more than the original game's.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Now that I think about it, I kinda want REmake 2 to be Leon/Claire co-op. I don't really mean like RE5+ games, but more like Outbreak, where each character can independently explore the police station and generally do their own thing if they need to. The minutia of that sounds troublesome, but I think it would be very cool.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Wesker is gonna be in RE2make.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

All that I want in RE2make is the origin story of Leon's jacket from RE4.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Raxivace posted:

All that I want in RE2make is the origin story of Leon's jacket from RE4.
He borrowed it from some guy. He goes to Spain to give it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

"Hey, it's that jacket!"