Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Sigma-X posted:

Imagine for a moment there is a vending machine. Inside this vending machine is the most delicious and highly sought after bag of chips. The price is not listed for the chips, but you want them badly. You spend minutes thumbing coin after coin into the slot, waiting for the button to light so you can receive your chips. You spend weeks. Months. Years. But the chips never drop for you. Other people walk up and can just snake their arm in and effortlessly take the chips, but not you, your arms are too wide to fit in the slot, your wrists too damaged from repetitive stress injury to snake inside. You've worked so hard and paid so much, and yet everyone else gets the chips, but not you.

And the vending machine has the gall to tell you it is a human being and that this metaphor is wildly misogynistic, dehumanizing, and "creepy"? It doesn't recognize you're the victim here?

So you shoot a different vending machine and make a weird video in your car about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

lmao

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is jon pop at it again :ohdear:

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Why not just hit the coin return button?

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Ristolaz posted:

Hey I made this game just for you :):):) Pretty challenging though :)

(2 hours later) Come on it's obvious he's going to do the charge attack. Give me the controller

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think it's cute he gets to use a job skill to make a fun game for his proposal. I'd have to hand my girlfriend a prospectus and explain to her that past performance is no guarantee of future gains and get flustered when she reads the graph upside down. Doesn't pack the same emotion.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I'm a radio journalist

"...and the Washington Street fire still rages as fire crews attempt to get the blaze under control. As of day three, seven people are dead and thirty-four have been hospitalized. Among those who lost their lives are four firefighters, who died rescuing tenants of the building. Funeral services will be held on Friday at Hewitt Funeral Home downtown. Authorities say that this is the worst disaster in the city's history. Anyway, Becky, will you marry me"

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I'm a gynaecologist.

Clever proposals like that have not been a success for me. Which was a shame as I found a really good place to hide the ring.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think it's cute he gets to use a job skill to make a fun game for his proposal. I'd have to hand my girlfriend a prospectus and explain to her that past performance is no guarantee of future gains and get flustered when she reads the graph upside down. Doesn't pack the same emotion.

I have a friend who proposed via a dating simulator game he made in silverlight. I wonder how many proposal games get made a year, and what the genre breakdown is, and how that breakdown changes if you only include successful proposals.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Earwicker posted:

also since when does a ball have to be a perfect sphere? my balls are elliptical

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Mister Macys posted:

"Scallion oil noodles"

1.) I need a new camera (N5); it took two lamps to get this exposure.
2.) Forgot to add chopsticks to the presentation.
3.) It's not called for, but I like adding toasted sesame to mine.
4.) My asian mart has "Shanghai style noodles" in three sizes; I prefer the middle one.
5.) I am never going to eat dry noodles again if I can afford it; hand pulled, all the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5me5Cgt3-M

mich posted:

Mister Macys posted:

2.) Forgot to add chopsticks to the presentation.

Hey, maybe don't feel like this is a thing you should have done. Do you need to include a fork if you're presenting a plate of pasta? Asian food can stand for itself without adding exoticizing props.

Mister Macys posted:

What's your problem dude? Nothing wrong with a little authenticity.

And you use a spoon for KD, everyone knows that. :rolleyes:

mich posted:

I explained what my problem is. Asian food doesn't need to be exoticized with props. The food can stand alone by itself without you adding things to the picture to emphasize "HEY LOOK THIS IS ASIAN." It's something that happens with photography of Asian food a lot. Some Asian cultures don't even use chopsticks! Adding utensils to a picture of food can play a role if the purpose is in the composition of the photo. Adding it as a prop to make the food more "authentic" is problematic. Plus, it looks like you squirt sriracha all over a bowl of Chinese noodles, how "authentic" is that?

I know it seems like not a very big deal but it's all part of a bigger picture of "othering" Asian culture.

If you don't realize how prevalent it is, look at the google image search results for "spaghetti":
https://www.google.com/search?biw=1...504.IzGPyeqFaBQ

Now look at pho:
https://www.google.com/search?biw=1...318.zgcvDCEa4Fo

Doom Rooster posted:

Made a big bowl of red beans and rice with andouille on top.

Cloks posted:

I skipped breakfast.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

theres a will theres moe posted:

Hey, maybe don't feel like this is a thing you should have done. Do you need to include a fork if you're presenting a plate of pasta? Asian food can stand for itself without adding exoticizing props.

<Social Justice ED-209 busts through the wall>

YOU ARE IN VIOLATION OF AN ESOTERIC RULE ABOUT CULTURAL APPROPRIATION KNOWN ONLY BY READERS OF EVERYDAYFEMINISM.COM. YOU HAVE 20 SECONDS TO APOLOGIZE

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
<Squashing Machine busts into quotes thread>

:argh: FEMINISTS!!!!! :argh:

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
On discussing the perks of evangelical Christian marriage:

WampaLord posted:

All the no-foreplay, missionary-only, lights-off sex you want! :toot:

omnibobb posted:

Check your pms

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

my dad posted:

<Squashing Machine busts into quotes thread>

:argh: FEMINISTS!!!!! :argh:

Seeing as the next post in that thread was someone linking to an everydayfeminism article to explain why it's actually cool and good to get huffy about someone including chopsticks in their food pictures, I'd rate this a pretty weak burn

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Squashing Machine posted:

Seeing as the next post in that thread was someone linking to an everydayfeminism article to explain why it's actually cool and good to get huffy about someone including chopsticks in their food pictures, I'd rate this a pretty weak burn

Not all posters

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

<Social Justice ED-209 busts through the wall>

YOU ARE IN VIOLATION OF AN ESOTERIC RULE ABOUT CULTURAL APPROPRIATION KNOWN ONLY BY READERS OF EVERYDAYFEMINISM.COM. YOU HAVE 20 SECONDS TO APOLOGIZE

Not really a funny quote

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Freakazoid_ posted:

l33t speak is a part of my cultural heritage passed down from my clan since the 90's and I'd appreciate it if you'd stop probating for it, it's a huge double standard.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

"Don't use somebody else's culture as a prop for your lovely food photography" isn't exactly esoteric. It's not even including chopsticks, it's going back afterwards like "oh better put some chopsticks in there, it wouldn't be authentic otherwise" that comes across weird. But no, don't bother reading the extremely easy to understand article.

People in that thread are getting super offended by something as innocuous as "hey try to be a little more respectful" and I just don't get it.

venus de lmao has a new favorite as of 00:10 on Nov 24, 2016

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Bertrand Hustle posted:

"Don't use somebody else's culture as a prop for your lovely food photography" isn't exactly esoteric. It's not even including chopsticks, it's going back afterwards like "oh better put some chopsticks in there, it wouldn't be authentic otherwise" that comes across weird. But no, don't bother reading the extremely easy to understand article.

People in that thread are getting super offended by something as innocuous as "hey try to be a little more respectful" and I just don't get it.

This is funny to me, so I quote it.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
One thing I really hate about being alive today is all this respect I have to deal with. Piss off you grovelling maggots.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Karate Bastard posted:

One thing I really hate about being alive today is all this respect I have to deal with. Piss off you grovelling maggots.

gently caress off turd boy

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Thanks bro, 'preciate it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

China are the bad guys, people. If we respect their culture that's like letting the terrorists win.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Who the hell thinks chopsticks are "exotic?" Most of the world eats with them in some way. It's a good thing that person felt bad for the poor Asian peoples that would be just as offended as we Italians are when photos of food have a wine bottle by it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

As a Canadian I

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Facebook Aunt posted:

As a Canadian I

Love Poutine?

Haven't said sorry today and now I feel unclean?

Spend more time than I should thinking of making better bacon?

-God save the queen plays and Manchurian candidate program kicks in- Must kill all people who want a Republic?

Think that the newfie accent is still weird?

Have a shrine to Zap Rowsdower?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Josef bugman posted:

Love Poutine?

Haven't said sorry today and now I feel unclean?

Spend more time than I should thinking of making better bacon?

-God save the queen plays and Manchurian candidate program kicks in- Must kill all people who want a Republic?

Think that the newfie accent is still weird?

Have a shrine to Zap Rowsdower?

Well, I was going to say I didn't mind how people presented Canadian cuisine, but then realized we don't have any. Okay, poutine, but putting gravy and cheese on fries is pretty low effort. I guess we've always been too busy dealing with all the bears to develop national cuisine. So many bears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pLsM2ijRao

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
As an american every time i try to take a pic of a food i cooked, in the photo it shows up as a McDonalds with a fistful of emptied salt packets, weirdest thing

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

Well, I was going to say I didn't mind how people presented Canadian cuisine, but then realized we don't have any. Okay, poutine, but putting gravy and cheese on fries is pretty low effort. I guess we've always been too busy dealing with all the bears to develop national cuisine. So many bears.

The steamed hotdog is Canadian!

There's Canadian cuisine but literally all of it is just from Montreal.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Why don't you eat bear?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
That's the Russian thing. Vodka-soaked bear steaks.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Chichevache posted:

Why don't you eat bear?

Some people do. My grandmother refused because she claimed that once you skin a bear it looks just like a man.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Some people do. My grandmother refused because she claimed that once you skin a bear it looks just like a man.

Your grandmother has never probably seen a skinned man, because skinned bears look like those dobermans from Resident Evil.

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

Chopsticks are very normal kitchen equipment. I'm Jewish, and we always had a bunch lying around, for when you're eating rice dishes, or if you need to do stuff like flip frying things.

Then I married a Chinese woman, and now we sometimes use chopsticks for some dishes and sometimes we don't, and it's pretty unremarkable altogether.

You're kind of dumb and sheltered if you think that chopsticks are exotic, at least in the Northeast US. Can't speak for elsewhere.

OTOH it's kind of goofy to rush to shove them into your photo

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

TheWeepingHorse posted:

Chopsticks are very normal kitchen equipment. I'm Jewish, and we always had a bunch lying around, for when you're eating rice dishes, or if you need to do stuff like flip frying things.

Why would you use chopsticks instead of an egg flipper? Or even a fork? Anything with a flat surface to slide underneath the thing you're turning would be better than chopsticks.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Tiggum posted:

Why would you use chopsticks instead of an egg flipper? Or even a fork? Anything with a flat surface to slide underneath the thing you're turning would be better than chopsticks.

They can be pretty handy if you've got a crowded pan of shrimp or something like that, when there's not much room to fit a spatula.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

chopsticks offer a lot more precision if your dumb fat hands can hold them properly

and now for a really dumb person

treerat posted:

I went to a Bonnaroo once where Kanye played after Pearl Jam. Pearl Jam had to finish their set hours early (they only played like 3 hours!) in order for Kanye to set up his egotistical glow in the dark shitfuck concert set. He went on so late it was almost dawn. He did like 3 songs and bounced. Out of respect to all Pearl Jam fans and all Kanye fans and all decent human beings... gently caress Kanye you shitbag hubristic piece of human garbage, gently caress. You. Sip my tip you egotistical dipstick son of a plastic surgery nitwit ain't fit for a pistol whippin reality trippin' overinflated ego poo poo-for-brains up-jumped materialistic fuckwit. gently caress Kanye, you are human trash in my view. Keep on exemplifying evertything wrong with media culture and celebrity privelege, rear end in a top hat. Even though you got a couple tight flows it don't exempt the fact that your human core is devoid of value or anything worth giving a half-gently caress about. Crazy stupid nonsense rantin mofokin waste of oxygen poo poo-for-brains that's liable to make me shamed to share a species with your worthless rear end.

Kanye = Fuckin douchenozzle

But I ain't even mad at him, he's just a mindless product of society. He's like an animal, mindless and ignorant and dumb. Tight flows a couple times tho, gotta give props where they're due, douchebag.

BIG PUFFY NIPS posted:

source you quotes

2005 regdate doesn't know what "source your quotes" means, still posts like it's 2005

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
To be fair, he also likes Pearl Jam, that should say all you need to know about him out the bat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
My main takeaway was that Pearl Jam apparently plays concerts that are more than three hours long, and that someone thinks it's a bad thing to make them stop that.

I mean Jesus.