Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Mu Zeta posted:

Gipsy Danger is the best in Pacific Rim

It is, but it is named after an engine, not some racist slur, you might notice the Y instead if I. Still not the most fortunate name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

X-O posted:

I think you have that backwards. They did it to save that many people.

Nope, though I did get it slightly wrong: Blond girl specifically says "If this works, we take tens of millions of lives". Presumably to save billions.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Decius posted:

It is, but it is named after an engine, not some racist slur, you might notice the Y instead if I. Still not the most fortunate name.

The engine is named after the Gypsy moth, with a y which is named after, you guessed it - Gypsies

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Decius posted:

Replace every instance of him saying "gypsy" with "negro" and you have about the impact and tactfulness of his statements conveyed to an American mind. Sinti and Roma in many parts of Europe are treated like African Americans were in the South during the Sixties and Fifties (unofficial, since officially all people are equal of course). Including getting killed by racists and mobs.

You can't say negro?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Flatscan posted:

Nope, though I did get it slightly wrong: Blond girl specifically says "If this works, we take tens of millions of lives". Presumably to save billions.

Subtitles and my ears confirm "we save tens of millions of lives" as the line.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

Watched the first two episodes of Search Party. It's interesting, but not very funny.

Just finished it, and holy poo poo. I think it's worth riding out to the end if you think it's interesting. When they say dark comedy, they really mean it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lowly posted:

Just finished it, and holy poo poo. I think it's worth riding out to the end if you think it's interesting. When they say dark comedy, they really mean it.

I watched the next two and ironically found them funnier but less intriguing mystery-wise. But I'll definitely see it through, the lead characters are all really fun, especially Portia.

On another note unless I'm getting people mixed up Rhyno has an unbearable hateboner for Joss Whedon so you all shouldn't really indulge that poo poo.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
If you dropped out of this season's Survivor early because of the silly premise then you made a bad decision. It's shaping up to be a top 10 season.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rarity posted:

If you dropped out of this season's Survivor early because of the silly premise then you made a bad decision. It's shaping up to be a top 10 season.

So it's slightly above average? That's not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Rhyno posted:

You can't say negro?

Negro works better in a historical context or for different organizations. Calling us negroes, however, is viewed, by-and-large, as a significantly coded term.

It's kinda like calling a Chinese person a "chinaman" or "Oriental."

Going back to TV talk: I really liked how Continuum somehow managed to make terrorists completely sympathetic and pretty much the actual good guys of the show.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The billion Chinese people from China don't care if you call them oriental. It's only the few million of Chinese in the US that get their panties in a bunch about it. Also I think "chinaman" sounds quaint.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Only a few million.

Alternatively, US Chinese get mad not the real deal.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

The billion Chinese people from China don't care if you call them oriental. It's only the few million of Chinese in the US that get their panties in a bunch about it. Also I think "chinaman" sounds quaint.

Well, yeah, because the Chinese people in China didn't have to deal with bullshit anti-Chinese racism by a white majority. It's almost as if racism is a complex issue heavily tied to location and cultural context!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Maybe I'm in a bubble but I have never seen this "anti-Chinese racism" in my lifetime. It seems way worse to be black right now. Unless you mean like Hollywood whitewashing movie roles which is the most boring first world issue ever.

I just think it's silly to get upset about a dumb word like oriental. I feel the same way about the n word but there's something about it where I can't get myself to say it either.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Maybe I'm in a bubble but I have never seen this "anti-Chinese racism" in my lifetime. It seems way worse to be black right now. Unless you mean like Hollywood whitewashing movie roles which is the most boring first world issue ever.

I just think it's silly to get upset about a dumb word like oriental. I feel the same way about the n word but there's something about it where I can't get myself to say it either.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3683534&pagenumber=78&perpage=40#post466672449

Read the entire discussion that follows, it's amazing :allears:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I eat most of my salads with chopsticks so that's pretty funny

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Vanderdeath posted:

Negro works better in a historical context or for different organizations. Calling us negroes, however, is viewed, by-and-large, as a significantly coded term.

It's kinda like calling a Chinese person a "chinaman" or "Oriental."

Going back to TV talk: I really liked how Continuum somehow managed to make terrorists completely sympathetic and pretty much the actual good guys of the show.

Yeah, that's why I used the word. It's pretty much similar with "gypsy" in Europe. A very coded word, that was deliberately connected with negative stereotypes by the majority population for centuries. One big difference is that the campaigns to finally get rid of people using it carelessly are still only in the beginning (with many people complaining about the "drat PC police").

Liber8 was great, even despite their tries to make them appear really evil (because of killing innocents) in the early-mid part of the show, they came off as at least doing the right thing with the wrong methods.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

I've literally never used this phrase in my life due to its lame-o connotations but I feel you may wanna check your privilege there. It's easy to not think this stuff matters when it never affects you in any way.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Escobarbarian posted:

On another note unless I'm getting people mixed up Rhyno has an unbearable hateboner for Joss Whedon so you all shouldn't really indulge that poo poo.

Wrong Goon buddy. I hate John Byrne, I'm just irritated by Whedon at times. Angel is still the best show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ah fair enough. Not sure who I'm thinking of then but I know it's a regular TVIV/Couch Chat poster.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Escobarbarian posted:

Ah fair enough. Not sure who I'm thinking of then but I know it's a regular TVIV/Couch Chat poster.

Like I will fight people who talk poo poo about Angel.

Even season four!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

"There's nothing blacker than gypsy magic" is a line of dialog that somehow made it to air in 2014.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mu Zeta posted:

Anti-Chinese racism is casting anybody other than pure-blooded ethnically Chinese actors in movies set in southeast Asia, portraying Koreans and Japanese in anything resembling a positive light, acknowledging that Taiwan exists, and having a skeleton.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Escobarbarian posted:

Might be me? I think Whedon's insanely uneven and mainly praised as much as he is in TV because he was a pioneer of good genre TV instead of because of his shows' objective quality. Angel s3-5 was good poo poo though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

whowhatwhere posted:

Might be me? I think Whedon's insanely uneven and mainly praised as much as he is in TV because he was a pioneer of good genre TV instead of because of his shows' objective quality. Angel s3-5 was good poo poo though.

I guess we can be friends.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Rhyno posted:

I guess we can be friends.

Don't make the same mistake I did. I suffer to keep you all safe.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm watching Falling Water, but I'm about two episodes behind. When I get caught up, I'll visit the thread :)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JphKSOuaov0

turkey day motherfduckers

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

muscles like this! posted:

"There's nothing blacker than gypsy magic" is a line of dialog that somehow made it to air in 2014.

That's the point at which my friends and I gave up on that show. I mean, what the gently caress? How? It's no different to having the hero casually mention how no one likes fried chicken as much as black folk.

Astonishing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is Stan Against Evil worth it if you like John C. McGinley and Janet Varney but don't really give a poo poo about horror, even crossed with comedy? (for instance i'll literally never watch ash vs evil dead)

is it funny enough to make up for my disinterest in the genre is what i'm asking

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Escobarbarian posted:

Is Stan Against Evil worth it if you like John C. McGinley and Janet Varney but don't really give a poo poo about horror, even crossed with comedy? (for instance i'll literally never watch ash vs evil dead)

is it funny enough to make up for my disinterest in the genre is what i'm asking

The humor's okay, McGinley and Varney do their thing and it works (and I might be in the minority, but I think McGinley's daughter is freaking hysterical). The horror parts of the show are atrociously done, though.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Mu Zeta posted:

Asian-Americans (and -Canadians) face a more subversive and insidious type of racism. No they don't get called the n-word or get shot at for wearing hoodies but we get it in different ways. In a sense we are treated "good enough for whites, but not good enough for whites".

I mean in a literal different world (if it makes you feel any better), Chinese people in China can be plenty racist if you aren't Han Chinese. So there's that.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Just look at how Asian men are portrayed in US television. I think there have been maybe three characters in the last twenty years who were depicted as actual equals to their black or white main cast counterparts in major programmes. Usually they're at the very least non-sexual beings even if they aren't computer/maths nerd stereotypes.

And let's not get started on how inscrutable the wiley chinee are.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 24, 2016

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finished Search Party. I get what the final episode was going for, but....I'm not super certain it didn't just make large swathes of the show feel like a waste of time. Enjoyable enough in the end, though. I'll watch the second season if it gets one.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
You know, you guys could just post this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Chinese_sentiment_in_the_United_States

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Glenn from The Walking Dead is literally the only example of an Asian male character I can think of who is sexual with a white woman, and also is not related to any Asian stereotypes, like academic achievement, martial arts, etc.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Snak posted:

Glenn from The Walking Dead is literally the only example of an Asian male character I can think of who is sexual with a white woman, and also is not related to any Asian stereotypes, like academic achievement, martial arts, etc.
Josh in Crazy Ex?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I haven't seen that. I'm sure there are a few other examples. Asian main characters are just incredibly rare in American media, in a way that black characters no longer are.

It's pretty lame.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Asians have their own cinema, stop trying to steal our women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, Glenn's by far the best male Asian character I can ever remember seeing on US TV. He's also the best character on that programme. One of my favourite characters in pretty much any TV show in recent years. Glenn's competent, loyal, honest, brave, vulnerable and just generally decent. A thoroughly admirable character.

Cho from The Mentalist was treated pretty well when it came to being allowed to be masculine and sexual (with a white lady no less), but he was a bit too inscrutable for my tastes. And of course there's Jin from Lost. Other than those I draw a complete blank when it comes to positive and well rounded Asian characters.

• Locked thread