Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
With black friday sales popping up I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to pickup a Case, PSU, and mobo first, then buy the Kaby Lake processor when those are released?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Agrajag posted:

With black friday sales popping up I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to pickup a Case, PSU, and mobo first, then buy the Kaby Lake processor when those are released?

It would not be a good idea at all, and Black Friday deals rarely benefit the parts that you actually want to get.

I have a question of my own now. I have 8 256gb mSata SSDs lying around that no one wants because lol mSata, and that I can't use.

I came across this: https://www.amazon.com/Syba-mSATA-Components-Other-SD-PEX40079/dp/B00KKO6N98

which is a 4 slot mSata to PCI-e RAID controller. Never used RAID before and not entirely sure how to work it, but I'd love if I could combine 4 (or more!) drives into one drive that windows sees.

also I'm not sure what to search so I can't tell if that RAID card is the best price for what I want.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 23, 2016

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
I'm considering doing the new computer thing. I play games, sometimes the most recent ones - I have peripherals (monitors, kb+m), and I already own a 950GTX 2GB and a Samsung 840EVO SSD.

quote:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 45.0 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($18.88 @ OutletPC)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($6.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB Superclocked Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.90 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($83.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $719.51
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-23 13:18 EST-0500

I also don't live near enough to anywhere that sells computer parts to make it worth driving (basically, I've got a Best Buy and that's it). Does this seem reasonable as a build?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

FaintlyQuaint posted:

If my goal is to do some streaming, light video encoding (nothing huge or super intensive I hope) along with gaming as my day to day stuff would I be better off waiting for the new i7s at the end of this year/beginning of next year or just jumping on one of the 6800k deals going right now? Price isn't really a concern, I just want to have a smooth and pleasant experience with whatever I happen to be doing.

Edit: I'm fine picking out everything else based off this decision, and I have a 1080 because I make bad life decisions already so upgrading video card and whatnot would feel a bit premature.
NVENC encoding is pretty legit if you want to hold off on upgrading your CPU fwiw.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Newegg keeps throwing 5% off coupon codes that last 8 hours, are they trying to get me to buy stuff before black friday and cyber monday or do they not do better deals on those days?

E: Nevermind for some reason they demand I do it over my phone and that certainly aint happening.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

The Iron Rose posted:

anyone who recommends linux as a serious alternative to windows for the mass market is... drastically overestimating the computer literacy of the public.

most folks don't know what file extensions are, let alone how to use apt-get. Sure, it's simple, but people think the command line is programming or "hacking." They sure as heck aren't going to be willing to learn how to use it.
If you had Linux Mint as a normal non nerdy person why would you ever use apt-get or ever open the command line at all? Normal people don't know how to do any command line stuff in Windows either but it's not necessary to ever use the command line in either OS for day to day use. There is no need to touch a command line or know really anything about Linux in order to install Mint, install software such as Chrome and VLC, and use that software. Arguably installing software is more newbie-friendly in Mint than in Windows because the software manager/package manager has a friendly GUI that looks like a smartphone app store.

Col.Kiwi fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 23, 2016

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Geop posted:

I posted in this/the old thread once, got super busy at work, and decided to hold off on my PC rebuild :v: Current PC is a hodgepodge of parts. I'm a pretty huge doofus when it comes to putting a PC part list together, so some of the stuff below may be bad/excessive.

What country are you in?
USA

What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing?
Gaming, audio editing, video editing

What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so.
$1500 maybe? I mean I'm pretty open to an extent, but nearing $1.5k to just replace the guts/tower starts to feel excessive.

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”?
My monitor is this guy. It is a little over 5yrs old but I don't think I need to replace it quite yet.

Ideally, I'd like to play relatively new AAA games at maximum and have a PC which'll hold up for a good while. My current one is chugging on Dishonored 2 with the absolute lowest settings (which is common, o'course), but that's about when I decided it's time to replace it. The guts of my old one are mostly 5+yrs old (MoBo being 2-3yrs old).

I know there is a 1070-vs-1080 discussion some folks have, but I think that the 1070 itself is all I'll need. Can't see myself justifying an extra $200+ for what the 1080 would give me.

My current desktop isn't very impressive at outputting from Audacity and Premiere/MeGUI encoding times, so seeing an improvement would be nice. Not mandatory, but a boost in those would be cool! Mostly I just wanna play pretty games.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($299.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX300 750GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($169.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card ($379.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill THOR V2-W ATX Full Tower Case ($94.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1249.42
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-23 12:14 EST-0500

I already have several hard drives, but getting a sizable SSD would be great. My current one is 128GB, though, and I'd rather not boot from that one, if possible. The CPU might be overkill/excessive, but that's why I'm here :downs: As a heads-up, I already have the case mentioned here; I saw it on-sale for $60 a few days ago and jumped on it.

OS isn't on here but I suppose I'll try Window 10 Pro. Still on W7, currently.

Don't stress about Dishonoured 2 performance. Apparently it has buggy CPU utilization or something. Everyone has issues with it.

A few changes:
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)

This buys you noticeably more performance for only $5. They might get in the way of your CPU cooler, which you can fake-solve by flipping the fan to the other side and reversing it so it pulls air through, but that's not efficient. Instead I'd recommend finding a few extra dollars and picking up a

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg)

It's offset so it won't get in the way of your RAM, and runs a bit cooler and quieter than the 212.

Power Supply: Corsair RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.90 @ Newegg)

I don't see a reason on your list you'd need more than a 550W PSU, and this one's cheap with a 10 year warranty.

Additionally, that SSD isn't top tier. It's alright, if you need to compromise speed for capacity, but if you can afford to lose some space on it, you can pick up a 500GB Samsung 850 EVO for less than $140 (including shipping) from Adorama (not visible on PCPartPicker) right now. That offers significantly better read/write performance, which should help with game load times and scrubbing through video. Someone else with a better knowledge of upcoming Black Friday deals may be able to clue you into an even better price.

Less specific advice:
That video card will offer extreme performance for 1080p@60Hz. You could probably step down to a 1060 without missing a beat. If you're planning on upgrading to a 1440p and/or high refresh monitor, the 1070 would justify itself there. While the 1070 will stay "okay" longer, if you don't foresee the need for it, you can always do better saving the cash towards a future upgrade. Of course, if you're looking at a specific new game that chokes a 1060 at 1080p, disregard this--I'm not up to date on AAA benchmarks.

I'm afraid I can't offer insight into whether the i7 will help. All you get spending the extra $100 for a 6700k over a 6600k is the hyperthreading (they tend to clock to about the same speed), and while it likely won't matter for game performance for the foreseeable future, I don't know what kind of benefit your editing would see from that. Hopefully someone else can chime in here.

DEUSFORORUM
Aug 28, 2003
I am helping my brother put together a machine for general web browsing and light image editing. This deal (https://www.techbargains.com/dell-inspiron-3000-deals) showed back up again. It pretty much hits his budget cap, but he could add an SSD and better GPU down the road if he wanted. Any reason not to jump on it? Should I be worried at all about the DDR3 ram or the H110 chipset?

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I'm looking at pulling the trigger on this one for the wife pretty quick, but I wanted to get some advice from the hivemind before doing so:

What country are you in? Canada
What are you using the system for? Gaming - Overwatch, Civ 6, Planet Coaster
What's your budget? $1200ish
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? 1080p

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/9xJGnn

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($299.23 @ Newegg Canada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($43.03 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($152.23 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Mushkin TRIACTOR 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($94.48 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB WINDFORCE OC 6G Video Card ($372.73 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($68.23 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $1155.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-23 17:58 EST-0500
The case is $55 at the local Memory Express.

PCPartpicker was being a jerk about pricing so sorry about the list.

Anything in there that stands out as a bad buy? I'm mostly concerned about the SSD as I haven't used Mushkin in the past for SSDs, just Intel/Samsung. I have never had a bad experience with their RAM though.
I have a 1TB drive I'm throwing in for storage.

Antioch fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 23, 2016

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

Dumb video card question since I'm ssssssort of tempted to try and upgrade while I can still get something without paying canadaland prices:

My 770 2gb is starting to show its age, so I sort of have my eye on either this RX 480 or this 1070. Which would be better for the money? Is the 1070 worth paying almost $200 more for, or is there not a ton of difference apart from 4gb vs 8gb ram?

Also is 8gb ram overkill?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Ignoranus posted:

I'm considering doing the new computer thing. I play games, sometimes the most recent ones - I have peripherals (monitors, kb+m), and I already own a 950GTX 2GB and a Samsung 840EVO SSD.

I also don't live near enough to anywhere that sells computer parts to make it worth driving (basically, I've got a Best Buy and that's it). Does this seem reasonable as a build?

Your build looks fine, but a 950 is going to struggle awfully on newer games, and even some older ones in some situations. For perspective, it's well under half the speed of a 1060 6Gb, the recommended card in 2016 for 1080p gaming. It's a low-tier card from the previous generation; expect settings compromises to get near 60fps on any AAA games released after late 2013.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Antioch posted:

I'm looking at pulling the trigger on this one for the wife pretty quick, but I wanted to get some advice from the hivemind before doing so:

What country are you in? Canada
What are you using the system for? Gaming - Overwatch, Civ 6, Planet Coaster
What's your budget? $1200ish
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? 1080p

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/9xJGnn

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($299.23 @ Newegg Canada)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($43.03 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($152.23 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Mushkin TRIACTOR 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($94.48 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB WINDFORCE OC 6G Video Card ($372.73 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($68.23 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $1155.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-23 17:58 EST-0500
The case is $55 at the local Memory Express.

PCPartpicker was being a jerk about pricing so sorry about the list.

Anything in there that stands out as a bad buy? I'm mostly concerned about the SSD as I haven't used Mushkin in the past for SSDs, just Intel/Samsung. I have never had a bad experience with their RAM though.
I have a 1TB drive I'm throwing in for storage.

get a sandisk x400 or a samsung 850 evo for your SSD. The 850 EVO is better, but the x400 is significantly cheaper and it's a great drive all on its own.

I would also recommend getting a 500 gig SSD but that's up to you.

Other than that you're fine.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

vs Dinosaurs posted:

Is buying a 4xxx i5 used for $110 a good idea if going for a 1060 budget build?

As a follow up comment, the 4xxx series chips become a lot less appealing if you need to buy the motherboard and RAM to go along with them. Do you have an existing setup you're plugging the chip into, or is this the base of a new(ish :v:) build?

Wilekat posted:

PC is so old I've finally caved on replacing. So without further ado:

What country are you in? UK

What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Gaming

What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. Ł1500 at the serious outside. I'd prefer to keep it as near the Ł1200ish spec below as possible, ideally.

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? 1080p. I don't care about super-Ultra, but it would be nice to not be running things below Medium for the foreseeable future.

Drafted this the other day and am feeling fairly comfortable with it at first glance. I don't know about the cooler - apparently it's huge and I haven't checked dimensions or anything yet. Totally open to changes anywhere if I can get more bang for less buck or notable more for a slight cost increase.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (Ł209.94 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler (Ł62.51 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (Ł129.99 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (Ł82.99 @ Novatech)
Storage: Samsung 750 Evo 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Ł123.35 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card (Ł433.80 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (Ł106.15 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Ł84.98 @ Novatech)
Total: Ł1233.71
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-23 10:35 GMT+0000

I also have an 840 EVO 120GB I plugged into my old machine for the OS that I can cannibalise for this machine. If I format it will it be fine to move across to serve the same purpose?

A few things:

(1) Change this cooler to the Hyper 212 EVO, and save Ł40.
(2) You can get a cheaper case if you want. This case is both smaller and half the cost of your pick, as is this one.
(3) The 1070 is perhaps overkill for 1080p gaming. The 1060 should handle most modern games on high/ultra just fine, and is probably Ł100+ cheaper. The 1070 does provide insurance against upgrading to a larger monitor, or against more demanding games coming out in the future. If all you care about is 1080p medium, the 1060 is probably the correct choice for you.

Geop posted:

I posted in this/the old thread once, got super busy at work, and decided to hold off on my PC rebuild...

betamax hipster posted:

while it likely won't matter for game performance for the foreseeable future, I don't know what kind of benefit your editing would see from that. Hopefully someone else can chime in here.

Video editing is the most common (only?) non-professional use case where hyper threading makes sense. So for Geop's purposes the 6700k is a fine choice.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 24, 2016

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
How good are holiday deals anyway? I've still been putting off building my mini-ITX steambox/HTPC and I'm wondering how good the discounts are for upgrading during the holiday season.

Also did those new 2-3x Next Gen VR Ready GPU's everyone was talking about waiting for finally come out? And if so what's the sweet spot card for a mid-range build?

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

Khablam posted:

Your build looks fine, but a 950 is going to struggle awfully on newer games, and even some older ones in some situations. For perspective, it's well under half the speed of a 1060 6Gb, the recommended card in 2016 for 1080p gaming. It's a low-tier card from the previous generation; expect settings compromises to get near 60fps on any AAA games released after late 2013.

I half-figured this was the case but didn't realize it was that much of a difference. I suppose if I'm doing the whole thing, I might as well get a new video card while I'm at it... in for a penny, etc

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009

Grundulum posted:

As a follow up comment, the 4xxx series chips become a lot less appealing if you need to buy the motherboard and RAM to go along with them. Do you have an existing setup you're plugging the chip into, or is this the base of a new(ish :v:) build?

My colleague didn't accept the lowball so I guess this is a moot point, but I would be starting from scratch. Good thing he didn't.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

betamax hipster posted:

A few changes:
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)

This buys you noticeably more performance for only $5. They might get in the way of your CPU cooler, which you can fake-solve by flipping the fan to the other side and reversing it so it pulls air through, but that's not efficient. Instead I'd recommend finding a few extra dollars and picking up a

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg)

It's offset so it won't get in the way of your RAM, and runs a bit cooler and quieter than the 212.

I just finished a build with the Asus Z170-AR, which is pretty much the same layout as the -A. The 212EVO fan doesn't interfere with RAM with a high profile, so long as you only have two DIMMs populated. It's possible I can populate all four, but I haven't tried. For what its worth, the two that aren't in the way are the ones the MoBo recommends you install first.

-Blackadder- posted:

How good are holiday deals anyway? I've still been putting off building my mini-ITX steambox/HTPC and I'm wondering how good the discounts are for upgrading during the holiday season.

Also did those new 2-3x Next Gen VR Ready GPU's everyone was talking about waiting for finally come out? And if so what's the sweet spot card for a mid-range build?

Microcenter's deal on the 6600k is really great.

Also, yeah, that's the 10 series I think people were talking about. I've heard anecdotally that even the 1060 is able to drive a Vive, and that's only a ~230 card.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

I'm thinking of changing out the 850 evo for this Intel NVME drive: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/MFs8TW/intel-600p-series-256gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-ssdpekkw256g7x1

Would I be making a mistake? I looked around a bit, it's way slower than like a 950 pro, but also way cheaper. But still faster than SATA.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

zergstain posted:

I'm thinking of changing out the 850 evo for this Intel NVME drive: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/MFs8TW/intel-600p-series-256gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-ssdpekkw256g7x1

Would I be making a mistake? I looked around a bit, it's way slower than like a 950 pro, but also way cheaper. But still faster than SATA.

The good news is that Intel's decided internally that they're more reliable than they initially thought: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-600p-endurance-tbw-warranty,32798.html

I was eager to get one to use as a non-Steam game drive until I upgraded from my Z68/2500K pairing, but all indications are that there are going to be a TON of NVMe drives coming in the next six months, and while the 600p is definitely the best priced option out of everything, it's also the option with the poorest performance. If you're buying now, you're going to lament being spoiled for choice in six months' time.

-----

Oh, and in other news - Samsung themselves are putting the 1TB 850 EVO up for $249.99 (evidently *with* the Watch Dogs 2 code) tomorrow through their site. Whether 'tomorrow' means five minutes and change from now for the east coast, who knows. The downside is that Samsung charges tax in a whole lot more states than Newegg does.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Nov 24, 2016

Interlude
Jan 24, 2001

Guns are basically hand fedoras.
Building a high-end Plex server, need it to be capable of at least 4 simultaneous 1080p transcodes which use about 2k CPU marks per stream. Core i7-6700k (11k marks so room to spare), 8GB ram, onboard graphics, small SSD, 450w PSU, and a microATX board and case. Going to run Ubuntu.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cK2n8K

Look good?

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The good news is that Intel's decided internally that they're more reliable than they initially thought: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-600p-endurance-tbw-warranty,32798.html

I was eager to get one to use as a non-Steam game drive until I upgraded from my Z68/2500K pairing, but all indications are that there are going to be a TON of NVMe drives coming in the next six months, and while the 600p is definitely the best priced option out of everything, it's also the option with the poorest performance. If you're buying now, you're going to lament being spoiled for choice in six months' time.

-----

Oh, and in other news - Samsung themselves are putting the 1TB 850 EVO up for $249.99 (evidently *with* the Watch Dogs 2 code) tomorrow through their site. Whether 'tomorrow' means five minutes and change from now for the east coast, who knows. The downside is that Samsung charges tax in a whole lot more states than Newegg does.

Perhaps I'll get a cheaper SATA drive (like the 750 evo, or even that dirt cheap Radeon R3) so I can update sooner rather than later, or would that be a bad idea?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Interlude posted:

Building a high-end Plex server, need it to be capable of at least 4 simultaneous 1080p transcodes which use about 2k CPU marks per stream. Core i7-6700k (11k marks so room to spare), 8GB ram, onboard graphics, small SSD, 450w PSU, and a microATX board and case. Going to run Ubuntu.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cK2n8K

Look good?

Go up to 16GB of DDR4 - it's so cheap right now that there's honestly no reason not to. The IGP on the 6700K will also take system memory as video buffer, though I can't remember how much.

zergstain posted:

Perhaps I'll get a cheaper SATA drive (like the 750 evo, or even that dirt cheap Radeon R3) so I can update sooner rather than later, or would that be a bad idea?

The Sandisk X400 is a much better option than the 750 EVO. The X400 has a longer warranty and higher TBW rating.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Nov 24, 2016

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
I'm thinking about upgrading from my GTX 760 with a black friday deal but I'm having trouble deciding between a RX 480 or a GTX 1060. It seems like the 480 is around $150 while the 1060 is around $200, I know the 1060 is better but is it worth a $50 premium? All of my gaming is at 1080p, no plans for VR in the future.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

tofes posted:

I'm thinking about upgrading from my GTX 760 with a black friday deal but I'm having trouble deciding between a RX 480 or a GTX 1060. It seems like the 480 is around $150 while the 1060 is around $200, I know the 1060 is better but is it worth a $50 premium? All of my gaming is at 1080p, no plans for VR in the future.

The 480 @ $150 will be a 4GB model. You can get 6GB 1060s for ~$210-220 on sale. The extra frame buffer will definitely be worth the premium as console ports to PC are notoriously greedy when it comes to graphics memory - even at 1080p, if you plan on running Ultra settings.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Hey guys, I posted about getting this GPU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814126151&cm_re=1050ti-_-14-126-151-_-Product for my pc a week or two ago. Do you guys know any sites(perhaps even new egg) that might have it on sale for black friday? It doesn't have to be that exact one, just one that will run on the power from the PCI-e slot.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The Sandisk X400 is a much better option than the 750 EVO. The X400 has a longer warranty and higher TBW rating.

Ok, but it looks like up here, the x400 is the same price as the 850 evo. And if I'm upgrading to NVMe in a year's time or less, I don't really give that much of a poo poo about longevity, so long as it doesn't die in a few months.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

zergstain posted:

Ok, but it looks like up here, the x400 is the same price as the 850 evo. And if I'm upgrading to NVMe in a year's time or less, I don't really give that much of a poo poo about longevity, so long as it doesn't die in a few months.

A fair point. Can't argue with the logic.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
I can confirm that the 1tb 850 evo is live on Samsung site with the code, comes to $274 with tax. I'm passing in hopes of grabbing one from newegg.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

vs Dinosaurs posted:

I can confirm that the 1tb 850 evo is live on Samsung site with the code, comes to $274 with tax. I'm passing in hopes of grabbing one from newegg.

It's live on Amazon at the moment, too, and I can confirm on the checkout page it does mention a game code voucher.

I can't pass up trying to get it at Newegg with the $25 AMEX promo and tax free, though.

EDIT: Newegg price is live: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-_-20147374-S0N

Link is from the email advertising the $249.99 price.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Nov 24, 2016

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

A fair point. Can't argue with the logic.

Now I just gotta tell the delivery guy tomorrow to send back the motherboard I ordered thinking it had an m.2 slot, but doesn't.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The 480 @ $150 will be a 4GB model. You can get 6GB 1060s for ~$210-220 on sale. The extra frame buffer will definitely be worth the premium as console ports to PC are notoriously greedy when it comes to graphics memory - even at 1080p, if you plan on running Ultra settings.

The RX 480 also uses more power, needs more cooling and is louder.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Anyone have advice for cases? on Newegg I see some that are like $50-$90 and then others that are well over $100- what does the extra cost get you? Just more room for extra graphics cards and stuff, or will the ventilation be markedly better?

I've been using a stock dell case with a single fan and crappy ventilation in it for about the past 4 years, the fan is starting to die now so I figure the already overdue replacement is probably pretty urgent now.

Will any kind of components fit into just about any case fine? I mean the slots for screws on the motherboard, PSU etc, are they standardized, so I won't find my motherboard needed a different kind of case right?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Koramei posted:

Anyone have advice for cases? on Newegg I see some that are like $50-$90 and then others that are well over $100- what does the extra cost get you? Just more room for extra graphics cards and stuff, or will the ventilation be markedly better?

I've been using a stock dell case with a single fan and crappy ventilation in it for about the past 4 years, the fan is starting to die now so I figure the already overdue replacement is probably pretty urgent now.

Will any kind of components fit into just about any case fine? I mean the slots for screws on the motherboard, PSU etc, are they standardized, so I won't find my motherboard needed a different kind of case right?

Dell often uses non-standard motherboard PSU connectors from what I hear. Not sure about motherboard mounting points. You should probably search for your model and something should come up on Google, you probably aren't the first person ever to ask.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
There are standard motherboard sizes that cases conform to but I doubt the motherboard in your dell does. Pc manufacturers tend to do their own thing with placement of card slots, screw holes, and ports so I doubt any of them would line up with any standard case. The PSU may also be a different size.

When you're building your own machine everything is based on standards but when you're dealing with parts from a manufactured system it's the wild west.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

You can measure the motherboard and look at the mounting points, compare to a picture of standard ATX/MATX points. That said, the Dell case usually has connectors that won't work on standard motherboards. Also, your PSU is probably only designed to work with your Dell motherboard in terms of length of cables, so you may find that your cables can't reach where you need them to go.

I have a Dell system I got for super cheap and replaced the case. The only thing I was able to easily get working was the power switch. There is no front audio, USB, etc because the connectors won't work without a lot of effort. Swapping the motherboard and PSU is the easiest route, and if your PSU is old, the smarter move.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Ah, well poo poo. My system's getting on for 5 years old now, I figured I could prolong the inevitable for a bit longer but maybe I should just start getting ready to build a new one in that case. Thanks peeps.

e:

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Swapping the motherboard and PSU is the easiest route, and if your PSU is old, the smarter move.

Oh, so I can swap the motherboard and PSU but keep the same processor? I have an i7 that's still holding up alright so saving a few hundred there would be great.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Nov 24, 2016

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.
I have an FX 8350 paired with an msi 760GMA-P34(fx) motherboard. At the time I needed a Micro ATX AM3+ and this one had a lot of newer features so I figured it would be ok. It turns out this CPU is a little much for the board (even though it's technically compatible and on the list of approved processors from MSI) I think it's really meant for 95 watt TDP processors and there is no heatsink on the VRM's. I've since gotten a bigger case and I have a Cooler master 212 EVO to keep temps down on the processor.

So my question is can I keep running this board for a few more months until I can afford to replace it or is it seconds from disaster? It seems to be working fine now, I'm not planning on overclocking the CPU and the temps seem OK. I played DOOM yesterday for about an hour or so and nothing bad happened. I was going to pick up a better board but I don't have money to spend on my PC at the moment. I am going to replace this sucker in a few months just for piece of mind and better longevity. But I don't know if I'm being paranoid or not.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Koramei posted:

Ah, well poo poo. My system's getting on for 5 years old now, I figured I could prolong the inevitable for a bit longer but maybe I should just start getting ready to build a new one in that case. Thanks peeps.

e:

Oh, so I can swap the motherboard and PSU but keep the same processor? I have an i7 that's still holding up alright so saving a few hundred there would be great.

Depends on what socket you have. It may not be cost effective to do that.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Huggable Bear King posted:

I have an FX 8350 paired with an msi 760GMA-P34(fx) motherboard. At the time I needed a Micro ATX AM3+ and this one had a lot of newer features so I figured it would be ok. It turns out this CPU is a little much for the board (even though it's technically compatible and on the list of approved processors from MSI) I think it's really meant for 95 watt TDP processors and there is no heatsink on the VRM's. I've since gotten a bigger case and I have a Cooler master 212 EVO to keep temps down on the processor.

So my question is can I keep running this board for a few more months until I can afford to replace it or is it seconds from disaster? It seems to be working fine now, I'm not planning on overclocking the CPU and the temps seem OK. I played DOOM yesterday for about an hour or so and nothing bad happened. I was going to pick up a better board but I don't have money to spend on my PC at the moment. I am going to replace this sucker in a few months just for piece of mind and better longevity. But I don't know if I'm being paranoid or not.

You'll probably be okay. It doesn't seem unusual for people to run the FX8350 on that board, I'd just avoid overclocking. A new system is definitely in order because that AMD FX series is not good but I assume you know that already. If you're very concerned you could get some small heatsinks with thermal adhesive for the VRMs but it likely won't make much difference.
https://smile.amazon.com/Cosmos-Copper-Cooling-Heatsinks-cooler/dp/B00637X42A/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Oh my god I am in over my head. The last time I built a pc was well over a decade ago and nothing makes sense anymore. I've been looking at the op, but there are like 15 different varieties of each different thing and I don't know how anything interacts with anything else and I don't want to make a brick. Can someone tell me what the hell I'm doing? I have a microcenter nearby.

• What country are you in? USA
  • What are you using the system for? Gaming
  • What's your budget? $800-1000
  • If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? 1080p. Looking to run Total War: Warhams on High I guess? Framerate doesnt need to be a billion per second, since I pause a lot. I also play a lot of Paradox games, so processing power is important to me.