Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

learnincurve posted:

The main industry is in Ireland, the UK and France (but I don't know how their industry works). You have your hardy outdoor cobs, those are bred for hacking, and specifically for meat. These horses might never be in a stable. Then you have your pretty dainty clippy cloppy horses for racing or showing and whatnot. 99% of them end up at the knackers yard and then on to the food chain no matter how expensive and pure-bred they are because, have you ever had to try and dispose of a dead horse?

Last time it cost $350 to the renderers who handle dead animals, and $100 to the county just because. In some places you can bury them, but in most of So Cal that's not allowed. I knew where a few have been buried, but the law's changed since then. Special racehorses may be buried intact, but if they're going to bury them it's usually just the head, heart & hooves that go into the ground. Yes, there's places that cremate them, and you get an enormous urn that's going to be one helluva conversation piece for years to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Alhazred posted:

The Castro assassination attempts:
[snip]

Is this for real? It sounds like some Wile E. Coyote poo poo.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

There's no end to the stupid projects that the CIA were willing to fund during the Cold War.

They put a spy camera and radio transmitter into a cat, with the intention of releasing it into the Kremlin. It was run over by a truck within five minutes of being released.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I hope the truck was steered by a KGB agent who had been ordered to take the cat out

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Khazar-khum posted:

Riding aside will really work you out, yes.

I showed sidesaddle for years. Once you learn how to properly balance and sit, you're fine. I had mine rebuilt from a relic from 1880s Oklahoma "Indian Territory" model. It had a single horn, the upper one, which most people will tell you is dangerous. I was a dumb kid and didn't know any better, so I was OK. Adults who knew what they were doing were panicked by the idea. Years later a horse trainer friend had trouble with it, even though she'd trained world champions.

I kept and rode with mine in costume classes for years, until it was stolen, probably by my junkie ex-niece. Stole my silver -trimmed Western show saddle, coin collection, and some tools, too, the bitch.

How does one fence a used show saddle?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Spy vs Spy was a documentary.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Rutibex posted:

PM me if ur looking to unload :ssh:

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Rutibex posted:

Ebay, I would imagine? Not like it's got a serial number on it or anything. Must be a market out there somewhere.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

CoolCab posted:

Ebay, I would imagine? Not like it's got a serial number on it or anything. Must be a market out there somewhere.

Out of curiosity, I just searched "used show saddle" on eBay and found listings ranging from $99 to $4500 just on the first page of results. There's something for everyone!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I heard once that the CIA also authorised a scheme to make Castro's beard fall out because they hoped it would make him look less distinguished.

No doubt from the sitcom version of the Cold War.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I heard once that the CIA also authorised a scheme to make Castro's beard fall out because they hoped it would make him look less distinguished.

They also had a plan to dose him with LSD before a speech.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

System Metternich posted:

I hope the truck was steered by a KGB agent who had been ordered to take the cat out

Even better if it was a KGB agent who legitimately ran the cat over by accident on the way to a dead drop.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Having a clearly defined enemy who isn't an existential threat is pretty nice for both sides, so it wouldn't be too surprising if some of those assassination attempts were a bit halfhearted.

(:tinfoil:)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yes, i wonder where you might've picked up that little factoid...

Alhazred posted:

The Castro assassination attempts:
Poisoned face lotion: One of Castro's mistresses smuggled poisonous pills in face lotion but the pills dissolved and the attempt failed because she realized that feeding Castro face lotion probably wouldn't work.
Poisoned wetsuit: Castro enjoyed diving and the CIA planned to give him a wetsuit as a diplomatic gift during the negotiations to the release of the Bay of Pigs prisoners. It was to be laced with bacteria and spores. It failed because the diplomat gave him another suit.
Exploding conch shell: When the plot to give him the wetsuit failed the CIA planned to kill Castro with an exploding conch shell.
Exploding cigar: The CIA actually got as far as to proposition a police officer to give him an exploding cigar when Castro visited the UN in 1960.
Thallium poisoning: Briefly mistaking Castro for the biblical Samson the CIA believed they could conquer Castro by poisoning him with thallium which would make his beard fall off. It failed because even the CIA realized how silly it was.
Poisoned milkshake: This actually almost succeeded. Castro loving loved milkshake and in 1963 the CIA decided to use this against him. They gave the pills to a Cuban official named Juan Orta who successfully smuggled it into the Havana Hilton. It failed when the pills got stuck in the freezer and when the waiter tried to hack them loose the pills were destroyed.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Suspect Bucket posted:

Not historical, but there's a very good reason horse is not sold for consumption in the US. In many countries in Europe, particularly the EU, horses have a medical passport that follows them their whole lives. When they travel, are seen by a vet or given medication (particularly painkillers, antibiotics, and hormones), it's noted in their passport. When a horse is old or no longer useful, it can be taken to the slaughter house, it is inspected to be healthy, you say goodbye, hand the guy the passport, and the horse is led away, stunned and bled out in a qualified and rigorously inspected facility, is processed and enters the food stream. The owner receives a small amount of cash.

Huh, so that must be why horse is so goddamn expensive. It's good, delicious meat, make no mistake, but seriously overpriced

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Um. In Europe Horse meat is what's in pet food, and pound per pound is the cheapest meat out there. UK Had a big scandal recently where it turns out naughty people were substituting beef for horse meat in processed foods like burgers and meatballs and labelling it as beef. What it is is hard to find in shops in the UK, go to France and it's far more common.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Show saddles are extremely expensive, and even the most beat-up show riding boots, decent ones anyway like Koenigs, will still sell for hundreds used.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

learnincurve posted:

Um. In Europe Horse meat is what's in pet food, and pound per pound is the cheapest meat out there. UK Had a big scandal recently where it turns out naughty people were substituting beef for horse meat in processed foods like burgers and meatballs and labelling it as beef. What it is is hard to find in shops in the UK, go to France and it's far more common.

I'm from Italy. I guess the cheap cuts just aren't sold to the general public, because all I can find are hugely overpriced steaks

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Alhazred posted:

Yes, i wonder where you might've picked up that little factoid...

Skipped directly to last page, sorry. :shobon:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

hackbunny posted:

I'm from Italy. I guess the cheap cuts just aren't sold to the general public, because all I can find are hugely overpriced steaks

Turns out you are importing from the French and they are racking the prices up: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21324523

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The cheap meat that gets added into illicit products comes from horses uncertified for butchering. The concern ins't only that people are being sold inferior meat / lied to, it is also that such meat may be pumped full of antibiotics and other undesirable substances because it hasn't been legally sourced and licensed. Legally sold horse meat can be expensive because it is likely to come from relatively low volume sources with high standards and overhead, and so are not only more expensive to raise, but also harder to broker and have a larger expected handling and marketing cost before reaching a consumer than popular meats.

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 19:57 on Nov 26, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

hackbunny posted:

What would be an appropriate price?

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

Horse meat is delicious but not something I can find in pure form in any old food store here in Sweden at least except maybe as cold cuts (though I do live in the boonies, might be better in the cities proper). The funny thing to me though is that it tends to be sold under the monicker "Hamburgerkött" (i.e. Hamburger meat) to dodge preconceived notions about meat from horses which is possible because there are no specific (legal) rules about what hamburger meat consists of. :eng101:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I swear to god I am unsubbing this thread if people start posting their favorite roast dog recipes. :barf:

Horses are our friend, you are not supposed to eat your friend!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Rutibex posted:

Whilst accurate it hasn't stopped people eating their friends in the past.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

Whilst accurate it hasn't stopped people eating their friends in the past.

Case in point: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R_v_Dudley_and_Stephens

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
Cows have best friends and you eat them all the time :colbert:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Rutibex posted:

I swear to god I am unsubbing this thread if people start posting their favorite roast dog recipes. :barf:

How do you feel about rabbits?

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Pigs are hella smart.

Horses are idiots.

Both are delicious.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

How do you feel about rabbits?

I am neutral on rabbits. They are pretty dumb, and serve no useful purpose. I say eat them. Same goes for pet birds less interesting than parrots or hawks, and all fish.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Generally, for whatever reason in the US, the division is generally working v. non-working animals. You don't generally eat working animals (that is, animals you primarily used for labor and not for products).

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

I will cut you

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Pick posted:

Generally, for whatever reason in the US, the division is generally working v. non-working animals. You don't generally eat working animals (that is, animals you primarily used for labor and not for products).

It kind of makes sense, old work animals are not a good source of meat, there needs to be either a material reason (poverty) or a cultural impetus for slaughtering them to be attractive.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

Rutibex posted:

I am neutral on rabbits. They are pretty dumb, and serve no useful purpose. I say eat them. Same goes for pet birds less interesting than parrots or hawks, and all fish.

I mean, it's all cultural - hence why as I stated earlier horse meat isn't sold under that name a lot of the time, being in a grey "kinda-sorta" taboo area. For a long time in scandinavia, as an example, crabs, lobster and other shellfish were seen as something ungodly you just would't eat, even if you were starving - and these days it's fairly expensive delicacies. Much like how it's cultural/religious not to eat pork, or how it's hard to grasp eating insects for a lot of us westerners who are not used to the idea.

Of course, horses we might see as friends (i.e. Riding horses) don't end up as food, since they get all kinds of medication as mentioned earlier and so wouldn't be healthy to eat.

(All that being said - no; I wouldn't eat dog).

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Inepta Lacerta posted:

(All that being said - no; I wouldn't eat dog).

Even if starving?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Josef bugman posted:

Even if starving?

That's a question nobody who hasn't experienced actual starvation can answer honestly. But I think I would be as appalled by the idea of eating my own dog as I would be by eating a human corpse.

Though I guess it would be a different thing to eat a dog that attacked me first, as far as survival situations are concerned.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Inepta Lacerta posted:

I mean, it's all cultural - hence why as I stated earlier horse meat isn't sold under that name a lot of the time, being in a grey "kinda-sorta" taboo area. For a long time in scandinavia, as an example, crabs, lobster and other shellfish were seen as something ungodly you just would't eat, even if you were starving -

For lobster at least, this was the case for a very long time in most places- there were places in America that forbade feeding convicts lobster on the grounds it was cruel and unusual punishment. This was in part because dead lobsters "rot" incredibly quickly and become disgusting to eat almost immediately, so only places that could fish them locally could enjoy them. This radically changed once the technology to keep them alive for longer was developed, and then again thanks to freezing technology.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

That's a question nobody who hasn't experienced actual starvation can answer honestly. But I think I would be as appalled by the idea of eating my own dog as I would be by eating a human corpse.

Though I guess it would be a different thing to eat a dog that attacked me first, as far as survival situations are concerned.

I remember reading an account of someone at the siege of Leningrad, and they were hoping their parents would die because then they could take their ration of food.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

In the 17th century American colonies Lobster was so abundant but regarded as garbage meat that it was only eaten by the really poor and was used to feed livestock, indentured servants and prisoners.
Some servants successfully sued their owners to limit feeding them Lobster to only 3 times a week instead of everyday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Josef bugman posted:

I remember reading an account of someone at the siege of Leningrad, and they were hoping their parents would die because then they could take their ration of food.

Yeah, but then there were also people who allowed their infants to drink their blood when they ran out of food.